LT or RT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

LT or RT?

I'm wondering if I'm too large for an RT. I'm 6'2" 250. I currently own a Harley Electra Glide and previously owned a FJR1300. The FJR was a blast but a little tight. I'm ready to buy a BMW but not sure which one to get. I gave the RT a test ride and my uncle owns a LT. Love them both. I like the way the RT handles better but not sure if I "fit" this bike. Any one my size feeling cramped on the RT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Our local PD rides RT-Ps, and some of our officers are your size or bigger. These guys ride ten hour shifts four days a week.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:42 am

THe best thing for you to do is go sit on and test drive both and see which fits you the best. You are not everly tall or large for an LT or RT rider; I know guys bigger and smaller than you that handle both with ease, and are absolutely comfortable on either.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormvet
I'm wondering if I'm too large for an RT. I'm 6'2" 250. I currently own a Harley Electra Glide and previously owned a FJR1300. The FJR was a blast but a little tight. I'm ready to buy a BMW but not sure which one to get. I gave the RT a test ride and my uncle owns a LT. Love them both. I like the way the RT handles better but not sure if I "fit" this bike. Any one my size feeling cramped on the RT?
I'm taller than you. I weigh more than you. And I'm riding a GT. It all comes down to personal preference, doncha think? If you like the RT, buy it! If you like the LT, buy it! I don't think you need permission from any of us.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 1:15 am

6'4" 200lbs here and find the RT ergos very fine.
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 1:55 pm

I am 6'-2" and 190# with 35" inseam. The upper body ergos of a 2006 R1200RT fit me just fine (with Suburban Machinery bar backs) with an upright posture that I prefer. I have spent some time tinkering with the shift/brake pedal adjustment/positioning and seat height and still am not completely happy (it's good but not perfect for me). The first thing I noticed just sitting on a GT (haven't ridden one) were the lower body ergos were almost a perfect fit for me but the sitting position was slightly leaned forward.

As others have noted, everyone is different and I would also recommend trying each model you're interested in before deciding.

Steve
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Because you have already test-ridden both, it sounds as though you are leaning RT but are concerned about "fit". I am about 6'3" and I installed the lower footpeg kit made my Suburban Machinery (as was referred to above). This made a huge difference! The RT seat has a high setting as well.

But I gather you question whether the RT can handle your weight. There are a lot of couples touring together on RT's so I cannot imagine "weight" would be a significant issue (for this bike).

You hit the nail on the head with your comment on the RT's handling. I converted to a 12RT from a Road King that had the big bore engine, I carried heavy tools in my saddle bags and I found it gratifying to ride a bike that does not wear me down because of the sheer mass, size and weight!

I have never rode a GT or LT but no doubt these are superb machines as is attested to on this BMW site.

Gus
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

Still undecided

I only got to test ride the RT once but was really impressed with it. I love the sixth gear. I always felt like the FJR needed another and the LT kinda feels the same way at interstate speeds. Not really worried about the weight limits of the motorcycle as much as my legs getting cramped or my knees touching the fairing like they do on my uncle's 85 K 100 RT. The RT handles closer to the FJR but without the power or the higher insurance that I had to carry. Higher insurance is the only reason I'm not considering the GT. I also take my wife out for short trips sometimes which is why I'm considering the LT. Just trying to get some input from people from both sides of the fence. Thanks for everyone's response.
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2007, 6:30 am

Hi..

I own an '03 LT and have test ridden the RT many times. I am shorter then you but weigh over 240. The RT had no problem handling me nor I handling it.

I still love the LT because there is more protection all the way around. The handling is fine for me, although I can scrape pegs easier on the LT then the RT. Performance on the RT is better of course. But, for longer rides, I prefer the LT hands down. For your wife, there will be no comparison. The LT will win hands down. If I could afford it, I would own both .... But, if I had to choose, it would be the LT and it is.

Good Luck.
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2007, 7:42 am

Rt

I would suggest a 3-5 hour ride on the RT. MY wife and loved the bike ,but after 5 hrs ,the ergonomics had us hurting,and we returned the rental early

Our main ride at the time was an ELECTRAGLIDE.
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2007, 1:05 pm

Knees on fairing

Quote:
I only got to test ride the RT once but was really impressed with it. I love the sixth gear. I always felt like the FJR needed another and the LT kinda feels the same way at interstate speeds. Not really worried about the weight limits of the motorcycle as much as my legs getting cramped or my knees touching the fairing like they do on my uncle's 85 K 100 RT. The RT handles closer to the FJR but without the power or the higher insurance that I had to carry. Higher insurance is the only reason I'm not considering the GT. I also take my wife out for short trips sometimes which is why I'm considering the LT. Just trying to get some input from people from both sides of the fence. Thanks for everyone's response.
I test rode an 1150RT and my knees were up against the fairing and my chest seemed like it was up against the tank. I purchased the 12RT and my knees do not come close to touching the fairing (I am about 6'3") and the tank design is so much different than the 1150 that one would need to possess a generous belly to be up against the tank.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2007, 3:12 pm

I am 6'4" and 240lbs. When I sold my 1100RT I thought about moving to an LT but went with an '06 1200RT and so very very glad I did. You will not have a problem with power or comfort and it is a much better bike for around town. If you plan on just going on long runs then maybe the LT is a better choice. For all around use I think the RT or GT provide the best of both worlds.
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2007, 3:55 pm

The decision may rest less with fit and more with other issues. Do you need all the gizmos on the LT? Will you be riding with a passenger?
If I wasn't partnered with a lady who loves to ride with me, I'd be on one of those 1200RT's. As it is, we ride around on our LT.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2007, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_COOP
The decision may rest less with fit and more with other issues. Do you need all the gizmos on the LT? Will you be riding with a passenger?
If I wasn't partnered with a lady who loves to ride with me, I'd be on one of those 1200RT's. As it is, we ride around on our LT.
Rich, you nailed it... If your gonna do long distance, 2-up, twisties with one and two day overnight's, the LT... Now you RT riders give some slack here... ;-)

BTW, 6'2" and 255 and the LT just glides along... and the better half loves the fit and feel.

So ask yerself... Luxury tour with the missus, or 45 degree lean angles on a crank up windy road...

OK... I convinced myself... I need an LT and an RT...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #15 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2007, 9:55 pm

LT & RT

I have both bikes a 2005 K1200LT and a 1999 R1100RT. Bikes are certainly different, I like them both and use them for different purposes. Either one's a great bike on its own. You will have to decide by trying them which one suits you best.

Mirage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in