HELP!...New tires needed between the Grand Canyon and San Diego - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Exclamation HELP!...New tires needed between the Grand Canyon and San Diego

Plan A: I order tires online and have them shipped to a forum member who owns the equipment to help me mount and balance the tires during my journey through the southwest. I'll buy lunch, dinner, whatever. New tires mounted, bellies are full. A win-win.

Plan B: I order tires online and have them shipped to a forum member who lives near a dealer that has the equipment to mount and balance the tires during my journey through the southwest. I'll buy lunch, dinner, whatever. New tires mounted, bellies are full. Still a win-win, but not as good as Plan A.

Plan C: I pull into a dealer en route. Buy the tires there. Have them mount and balance tires. No lunch. No dinner. I'm hungry. And, my wallet's empty as well.

S.O.S.!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Plan D: Put on fresh tires before you lean on your trip.
No workie. I would still need new tires somewhere later in the ride. The trip length is further than any one set of tires last on a GT.
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up

Not sure what your route is but here are a couple of possibilities:

Plan A: Call ahead and then stop at Southwest Moto Tires in AZ. and they will mount the tires for you at a nominal charge. You can buy them a pizza if you want to.

Plan 2: Have tires shipped to my place. Once you get here we take my car and go to that Italian bikes shope in Glendale where you give a $20.00 in cash per wheel to the tech who mounts and balances plus disposes of your old tires. Then you can take me, Kathy, and her two overgrown eating machine teenage boys to an expensive dinner, or we may settle for pizza, the last option being closer to your win-win scenario.

Plan of the last resort: You pull into a dealer en route. Buy the tires there. Have them mount and balance tires. No lunch. No dinner. You're hungry. And, your wallet's empty as well, but you supported a local dealer, as you've always advocated.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:59 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Not sure what your route is but here are a couple of possibilities:

Plan A: Call ahead and then stop at Southwest Moto Tires in AZ. and they will mount the tires for you at a nominal charge. You can buy them a pizza if you want to.
DING DING DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Thanks Gilles. You da man! And I'm still buying ya dinner!
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
You pull into a dealer en route. Buy the tires there. [snip] ...but you supported a local dealer, as you've always advocated.
No, no, no. That is not what I have advocated. I advocate buying things from "YOUR" local dealer. That way, a relationship built, meanwhile keeping "your" local dealer in business.

See the difference?
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
No, no, no. That is not what I have advocated. I advocate buying things from "YOUR" local dealer. That way, a relationship built, meanwhile keeping "your" local dealer in business.

See the difference?
Travelling the way you do, EVERY dealer is YOUR local dealer!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Don't worry about the oil. The BMW recommended oil change interval is 6K, and that assumes normal day to day riding. On long trips you will be doing much of the mileage in long rides, which is MUCH less damaging to the oil than multiple shorter rides. Even with dino oil, 8K on long trips is no issue, with synthetic, even less so. Just be sure to monitor the oil LEVEL during the trip.

I had no issue taking off on my 10/10ths ride with no expectation of an oil change. Time on oil is a large issue, and my 10K miles was done in 10 days, so the bike ran 15-18 hours a day. I did add about 1/2 quart near the end of the ride.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Don't worry about the oil.
No worries there. Or...did you reply to the wrong thread by mistake?
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 2:04 pm

Joe,

An alternative suggestion is that you can ship tires to my place in Kingman, AZ. We can pull 'em off and cage them to a place to have them mounted. There's no BMW shop in town, but plenty of other motorcycle shops who should be able to mount them up. I need to do my front tire as well. Afterwards, we'll have a BBQ and some brewkies, and you're welcome to crash in our guest room. In the AM, I'll point you to some great roads to get yourself out to San Diego that you probably wouldn't find yourself. The route I'm thinking will have you pass through Joshua Tree National Monument.

BTW, when are you doing this? I'm consulting out of my home in Kingman, so I'm almost always around.

Cheers,
-joel
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Yea BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
Joe,

An alternative suggestion is that you can ship tires to my place in Kingman, AZ. We can pull 'em off and cage them to a place to have them mounted. There's no BMW shop in town, but plenty of other motorcycle shops who should be able to mount them up. I need to do my front tire as well. Afterwards, we'll have a BBQ and some brewkies, and you're welcome to crash in our guest room. In the AM, I'll point you to some great roads to get yourself out to San Diego that you probably wouldn't find yourself. The route I'm thinking will have you pass through Joshua Tree National Monument.

BTW, when are you doing this? I'm consulting out of my home in Kingman, so I'm almost always around.

Cheers,
-joel
You talkin' dirty to me, or what?!

I'll PM you, let's talk about this.
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 3:00 pm

This is the easiest question of the year. Support a dealer. End of story.

If you have a problem on the road I bet you would want them to support you; and do so quickly and fairly. If they didn't my guess is that you would be quick to slam them on this forum.

The extra amount you will spend on the tires when compared to the cost of your overall trip is negligable. The cost of saving you a couple days on the trip because you had a dealer around to help you out when you needed them is priceless.

Do the right thing is my 2 pennies.
post #12 of 13 Old May 1st, 2007, 4:22 pm

Tire Dealer in San Jose

I use Road Rider in San Jose, 408-227-6936 they are open 7 days a week and are very competitive on tires. Call ahead and they will have tires waiting for you if you can get to San Jose. You can also use Cycle Gear they have lots of locations but the place is generally run by a bunch of kids and they are hit and miss with follow through and may not have someone around to mount tires.
post #13 of 13 Old May 1st, 2007, 6:00 pm

Holy shit, Joe...with all the breakfasts/lunches/donuts/monster dinner youve consumed (nice avatar sig BTW!!!! I want props!) your tires are sweating bullets. Better inflate those bad-boys to 60psi ea. Its like putting a locomotive on lawn tractor tires.....peace, safe and happy travelling.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in