Insurance...next time HIT the DEER - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 10:18 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Insurance...next time HIT the DEER

Get this...got my renewal paperwork for my motorcycle insurance, and my accident last year, where I totalled my 2000 R1150 RT-P after avoiding a deer, has gone up 21%!!!!

Had I actually HIT the deer, caused more damage, resulted in significant more cost to the insurance company through injuries sustained from crashing on pavement instead of trees and grass, then it would have been ruled "not at fault" and been charged to my comprehensive, and no increase.

Two days of conversations trying to beg and plead my case, no luck.

Next time, Bambi is getting a Metzeler up her backside...

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 10:57 pm

Yup, we get more tourists killed out here trying to avoid Bambi.

Don't go for the brakes either. Hit the gas - aim for center mass and go for it!

Best chances to survive, even if you're in some low slung sports car type thing and not one our local 3/4 ton tree chasers.

Idea is to spin 'em over your roof, rather than scoop 'em into your windshield.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #3 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 11:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Yea...I know the feeling. Kinda like arguing with a LEO. They're just ruthless!

post #4 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 1:57 am

That's the same thing over here...

Our Supreme Court just gave a verdict that if a car owner has a moose collision insurance he is not covered in case he drives into ditch trying to avoid hitting the animal. As there is no evidence left of the moose...
What do we learn from this? Maybe it would make sense to have some moose hair packed in your trunk so you can stuff it under your hood afterwards...

Talking about hair...A guy that I know that rides a 05 LT hit a reindeer last fall while riding with his girlfriend in Northern Finland. The only damage was his broken high beam bracket and bunch of reindeer hair all over the front fairing joints. They stayded upright and girlfriend did not even know what happened until they stopped. The poor reindeer got killed, though.

A moose would have been a different story... I bet they wouldn't be around telling about it.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #5 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 5:08 am

Got hit!!!

Eventhough I had a no-fault accident( got hit by SUV), my insurance went up because it still cost them $50,000 from my under-insured coverage. I wish I had had a million dollar policy. Total settlement: $100,000. Don't know how much I'll actually get because Blue Cross wants some too. Total medical leins against my "settlement"= $86,000. My lawyer said that he doesn't think it's fair that, according to our contract, he could end up getting paid more than me. So he said that he would take less so I would end up getting more than he does. Negotiations against the medical leins are starting now.

I guess if I run into a deer I'll have to REALLY hit the damn deer. Imagine if it's a bear. If you don't kill it , then YOU'RE what's for dinner.

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)
post #6 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:49 am

It's unfortunate, but kind of makes sense. If the insurance companies didn't have a rule like that, everybody who had a single vehicle accident on a bike could claim there was a moose in the road.

Unfortunately, the same thing applies when a car runs you off the road. You could tell the insurance company you got ran off the road, but unless a cop witnessed it and wrote up the other driver, the insurance company will never take your word for it. I've often considered that if an accident is unavoidable, it's better to contact the side of the car before going down rather than go down attempting to avoid it. Probably easier said than done, but something to think about.

-joel
post #7 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 12:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
It's unfortunate, but kind of makes sense. If the insurance companies didn't have a rule like that, everybody who had a single vehicle accident on a bike could claim there was a moose in the road...
Good point. In Ari's case, however, with his forward- and rear-facing video cameras he could always just play back the video!

"See officer, there was a moose."

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 8:34 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

(I had video and an eyewitness...my pillion passenger)

next time, venison steaks for everyone, cheaper than the increase.

post #9 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 8:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
(I had video and an eyewitness...my pillion passenger)

next time, venison steaks for everyone, cheaper than the increase.
Something you want to tell us, Peter?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 8:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz56
Eventhough I had a no-fault accident( got hit by SUV), my insurance went up because it still cost them $50,000 from my under-insured coverage. I wish I had had a million dollar policy. Total settlement: $100,000. Don't know how much I'll actually get because Blue Cross wants some too. Total medical leins against my "settlement"= $86,000. My lawyer said that he doesn't think it's fair that, according to our contract, he could end up getting paid more than me. So he said that he would take less so I would end up getting more than he does. Negotiations against the medical leins are starting now.

I guess if I run into a deer I'll have to REALLY hit the damn deer. Imagine if it's a bear. If you don't kill it , then YOU'RE what's for dinner.
I had a wreck Christmas 2005 in my SUV, got t-boned by an unlicensed driver. Similar situation. . . . she was at fault, was unlicensed, was ticketed, and her parents insurance company accepted full responsibility.

My lawyer got more than I did after the medical stuff was paid. BC/BS took a 30% reduction in the amount they paid out, so that saved the day for me. Of course, I'm still behind the curve having lost more than I got back. Hey, at least I'm here among the living to gripe about it!

I am told that in Texas they cannot raise your rates or cancel/non-renew over paying out on a UM/UIM claim. May be different in your state.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 22 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 11:46 pm

"Maybe it would make sense to have some moose hair packed in your trunk so you can stuff it under your hood afterwards..."

Wow !!! Just when we thought Ari had run out of ideas for farkles ------ .

Hope you are doing well friend.
post #12 of 22 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 1:15 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
"Maybe it would make sense to have some moose hair packed in your trunk so you can stuff it under your hood afterwards..."

and I thought carrying a "drop gun" working narcotics in Chicago, just in case, was bad...

post #13 of 22 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 2:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro

Oh I'm doing fine, Roy. Thanks for asking! And you are quite right about me running out of farkle ideas ...
Currently I'm just concentrating in copying the ideas from the others. I'm desperately searching for 12 mm thick piece of plexiglass to make the "lighted BMW roundel" and the other item I have not yet found is the small inexpensive motorized screwdriver for Bakup backrest adjusting. Both of these were introduced by Bruce(2000ltc), big thanks to him for saving my few coming weekends .

BTW, say hi to Mary and thank her for the email I received some time ago.

Best regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #14 of 22 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 4:32 am

insurance.... next time HIT Deer

In the UK, unless your insurance company can claim back any payout from someone, your premium is going up. Your premium will go up anyway AND you are likely to lose any No Claims Bonus (Can be worth up to 60%)

That assumes you had Fully Comprehensive insurance. If you had Third Party Cover...Tough!!! They'll put your premium up and not even pay for the damage.

post #15 of 22 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 9:13 am

Not wanting to start a storm of arguing............

But I would much rather hit a deer at 30 mph than 50, so I will use and trust my beloved ABS on my LT. Of course, if push comes to shove, I would avoid the deer while slowing speed to minimize impact.

What would not be a factor in my decision making? The first thing that comes to mind would be another 50 bucks on my insurance bill, especially after my insurer shelled out for a new LT.
post #16 of 22 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 4:40 pm

This past fall, I had to lay down my bike, just missing bambi. If I did not lay down the bike, I would have hit it right in its middle and have a lot more damage and major injuries. In this case, all I got was a minor bump and scrape wearing ATGATT. I did $5000 damage to my bike. My insurance company paid it out less my deductible. The insurance was renewed this year as they considered it a "no fault", even tho there was no direct evidence of the deer even crossing in front of me. I guess my insurance company thinks I am honest and I have not had a claim in more than 25 years.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #17 of 22 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 5:10 pm

I'm an insurance agent. I tell my new clients to hit the deer. As has been said, more damage trying to avoid and it is a collision ie rate increase usually a higher deductible. In my 23 years of insurance I have lost count of the phantom dear, dog, and old cadillacs I have heard. As with everything, the honest folks have to pay for the dishonest. I was glad I had tons of hair on my motorcycle (even in the crankcase! ) from the dog I hit. Unfortunately I took my own advice and had cancelled my collision and comprehensive 200 miles before!
post #18 of 22 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 8:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Oh I'm doing fine, Roy. Thanks for asking! And you are quite right about me running out of farkle ideas ...
Currently I'm just concentrating in copying the ideas from the others. I'm desperately searching for 12 mm thick piece of plexiglass to make the "lighted BMW roundel" and the other item I have not yet found is the small inexpensive motorized screwdriver for Bakup backrest adjusting. Both of these were introduced by Bruce(2000ltc), big thanks to him for saving my few coming weekends .

BTW, say hi to Mary and thank her for the email I received some time ago.

Best regards
Happy to send you the Plexi and screwdriver, Ari. Just say the word Iand I'll obtain them for you.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #19 of 22 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
But I would much rather hit a deer at 30 mph than 50, so I will use and trust my beloved ABS on my LT. Of course, if push comes to shove, I would avoid the deer while slowing speed to minimize impact.
No argument - you're right. It's different on a bike, special a 'sit up', tall bike like an LT. Impact point is way too high to get the 'spin it over the top' effect. So, good brakes, ABS and tele-lever are your friends - very good friends in such events.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #20 of 22 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Get this...got my renewal paperwork for my motorcycle insurance, and my accident last year, where I totalled my 2000 R1150 RT-P after avoiding a deer, has gone up 21%!!!!

Had I actually HIT the deer, caused more damage, resulted in significant more cost to the insurance company through injuries sustained from crashing on pavement instead of trees and grass, then it would have been ruled "not at fault" and been charged to my comprehensive, and no increase.

Next time, Bambi is getting a Metzeler up her backside...

So what insurance company is this?

Also one fo the things about UM, it has been tried a few times with good luck some times with no luck.

The "Phantom" vehicle - get run off the road by a car but it does not conatc you and they don;t stop most will not pay that either!
So if you get run off the road by a car, make sure it contacts your motorcycle or there is no fault (with many ins companies) to the other operator particularly if they leave the scene.

insurance ain't it great!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #21 of 22 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by haji3
I'm an insurance agent. I tell my new clients to hit the deer. As has been said, more damage trying to avoid and it is a collision ie rate increase usually a higher deductible. In my 23 years of insurance I have lost count of the phantom dear, dog, and old cadillacs I have heard. As with everything, the honest folks have to pay for the dishonest. I was glad I had tons of hair on my motorcycle (even in the crankcase! ) from the dog I hit. Unfortunately I took my own advice and had cancelled my collision and comprehensive 200 miles before!
"Unfortunately I took my own advice and had cancelled my collision and comprehensive 200 miles before!"

And your a insurance salesman!

Do tell why you decided to drop that coverage?

perhaps because what amount you KNEW you would actually get if your vehicle was tottaled just did not compensate for the cost of covering that vehicle?

oops one more question
what ins. company do you sell for? i always like to hear from ins salemen

I maintain a brief insurance info page

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #22 of 22 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Happy to send you the Plexi and screwdriver, Ari. Just say the word Iand I'll obtain them for you.
Hey Tony, I truly appreciate your offer but perhaps I expressed myself a little bit wrong...I meant to say that I am desperately trying to find the time to go and pick up the plexi from a place that carries that stuff. So I just have to put things in correct order.
The screwdriver, however, might be difficult. So far I have located some high-end professional Panasonic and Bosch screwdrivers with 120 euro (!) price tag. Sheez, imagine buying that and taking a hacksaw and start cutting it in half...

I'll look up the website you provided and let you know the model that I would need.

Best regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in