Tire Balance Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 9:11 am Thread Starter

Tire Balance Question

Hey guys, I had a local Honda Dealer remove my rear tire to adjust a band on my Smart Tire Pressure Monitoring System (long story) a couple of weeks ago. He was able to fix the issue but he said he was unable to balance the tire because they did not have the proper collar/insert/something to fit the BMW rim. They said the opening was smaller than what their equipment would work on. The guy at the Honda dealership said that the balancing should not matter since it was the same tire he removed and put back on, and that he put it back on exactly as it came off.

Is this true that balancing the wheel after installing the tire would have no effect or was he just blowing smoke?

Thanks for any information.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 9:28 am

I'm no expert, but I don't think he's blowing smoke. Sounds logical to me.
Simple question: How does it feel at 35, 45, 55, 65, 75mph? Any difference? Vibrations?
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 9:40 am Thread Starter

Tire Balancing

Great question Joe. I have ridden the bike and at 80 it seemed that the bike had a sense of vibration in it that I hadn't noticed before. Now mind you, it could be COMPLETELY fabricated in my brain because "they weren't able to balance the tire". That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I'm no expert, but I don't think he's blowing smoke. Sounds logical to me.
Simple question: How does it feel at 35, 45, 55, 65, 75mph? Any difference? Vibrations?

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:12 am

Smile Balance could be off if

he moved the sensor to a different part of the rim when he adjusted the band. If he did not move it then it would seem that if he placed the tire in the exact same spot on the rim then the weights should be the remain the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer100
Hey guys, I had a local Honda Dealer remove my rear tire to adjust a band on my Smart Tire Pressure Monitoring System (long story) a couple of weeks ago. He was able to fix the issue but he said he was unable to balance the tire because they did not have the proper collar/insert/something to fit the BMW rim. They said the opening was smaller than what their equipment would work on. The guy at the Honda dealership said that the balancing should not matter since it was the same tire he removed and put back on, and that he put it back on exactly as it came off.

Is this true that balancing the wheel after installing the tire would have no effect or was he just blowing smoke?

Thanks for any information.

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Tire balancing

Thanks John. What I understand that he did, and unfortunately I was not right there beside him when he was doing the work, was that he loosened the band, re-centered the metal covering (half circle) over the valve stem, re-tightened the band and put it all back together. The half-circle had been shifted over in a tire-valve repair work done by a general tire shop in Waco.

I might just go ahead and take my wheel to a BMW shop to have them make sure it is balanced to ease my mind.

I have learned the importance of new and properly operating valve stems. I'm not sure if the PO had new valve stem's installed at the last tire change, but the one I had on there gave up on me during a day trip. You don't want one of those to give out on you on a trip. Been there, done that. No fun! I was fortunate and was able to get a stem replaced pretty quickly, but it could have easily gone the other way.

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrehder
he moved the sensor to a different part of the rim when he adjusted the band. If he did not move it then it would seem that if he placed the tire in the exact same spot on the rim then the weights should be the remain the same.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

tire balance

or you can come over to my son's place in Keller this weekend and I will bring my Marc Parnes balancer with me. Sat evening or Sunday noon would work for me. Takes about 15 minutes.

dan martin
houston,tx
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

tire balance

Dan, sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
or you can come over to my son's place in Keller this weekend and I will bring my Marc Parnes balancer with me. Sat evening or Sunday noon would work for me. Takes about 15 minutes.

dan martin
houston,tx

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in