Cold Weather Riding - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 6:15 pm Thread Starter
swb

Cold Weather Riding

So this Thurs I fly down to Dallas to p/u my new ride and I'm feeling a bit nervous about the forecast....I'm going no matter what so I'll deal with what ever happens. I'm riding from Dallas to MN in two days, beginning Friday morning. The first part of the trip should be ok, it will be the Saturday ride home that will be the test, forecast says highs will be mid 40's and could have some liquid shine coming down.

Any suggestions on riding in the cold, possible wet overcast day?

No, I don't have a heated jacket or anything and the budget won't let me get anything at this point. Maybe the forecast will change but I'll be planning as if it doesn't. Thanks for your suggestions...
-steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Super Moderator

1st Responder

Alternatives to riding without heated gear:

1. Vapor / Wind Barrier - Rain Suit on the outside
2. Layers on the inside - wool preferred but not enough to sweat!
3. Decent gloves (since your from MN maybe you have Snow Mobile Gloves)
4. Boots with a barrier and two thin pair of socks
5. Helmet and a head sock (http://www.bigcamo.com/fleecehood.php)
6. Make sure you take a defogger product for the faceshield on the helmet
7. Oh yea turn the handlebar and seat heaters on as well!!

The LT keeps the wind off of you and the rain as well when you are moving.

If the temp indicator gets below 34 degrees plan on pulling over as the LT does not do well on any moisture below this temperature . . . especially for a first timer on this bike.

Just remember most people make very bad judgements when they get really cold - near hyperthermia. Long ride starting to get sleepy - pull over and sleep.

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 7:08 pm

Steve,

Dan gave a good list and some good advice.

You'ld be surprised how well the rain suit helps in the cold (even when it isn't wet) - I use Frogg Toggs.

Cold, wet, & new bike aren't ideal conditions to push your limits - when in doubt pull over... And let us know how it goes, ok?

post #4 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 7:26 pm
Ted

Steve,

If you can find the time (and the $) make a quick run up to Duluth:

http://www.aerostich.com/home.php

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #5 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 7:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb
So this Thurs I fly down to Dallas to p/u my new ride and I'm feeling a bit nervous about the forecast....I'm going no matter what so I'll deal with what ever happens. I'm riding from Dallas to MN in two days, beginning Friday morning. The first part of the trip should be ok, it will be the Saturday ride home that will be the test, forecast says highs will be mid 40's and could have some liquid shine coming down.

No, I don't have a heated jacket or anything and the budget won't let me get anything at this point. Maybe the forecast will change but I'll be planning as if it doesn't. Thanks for your suggestions...
-steve
If you need a lift from the airport and to pick up your bike, drop me a PM. Happy to help if I can.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 7:42 pm

Remember to drink plenty of water, your body expells moisture through every breath you let out.
Dress in layers and if at anytime you feel in doubt, get off of the road and rest warm up.
Have fun.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #7 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 7:46 pm

a good emergency insulation when unprepared for the cold is to put sheets or sections of newspaper under your outer clothing. omurphy
post #8 of 30 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 8:54 am

Steve,

Since you are from MN also you may already have the last layer just before the rain gear. Carharts are great. I have the bib type pants and they add an extra layer under the coat in the back and chest. You are welcome to borrow mine if you don't have a set. From my experience my hands are the coolest spot without heated gloves. The heated grips help alot, just not the backside of your hands. Make sure you have a neck warmer also. They really help keep the drafts from between the helmet and the coat. Ride safe and don't push it too hard. Let me know if there is anything you need. Maybe we will run into each other since our towns are on the same highway. Only you have better roads close to you.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #9 of 30 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 9:33 am

Layers

Steve,

I was raised in the NE and played in the snow always.

Definitely stay hydrated. You'll be amazed how lack of water affects your body.

Dress in layers, wool is good; I prefer thermals top and bottom as a first layer. Boots (and appropriate socks) are a must. There is that "sweet spot" between bottom of pant and top of shoe that is a killer in the cold.

The biggest thing is to "break the wind" (probably NOT in the way some of you are thinking). If the wind doesn't penetrate, you are much warmer.

I rode all winter down to about 19. I have a heated vest but barely used it.

Hands are the other things (beside feet) that, for me, are a problem. If you can get two gloves (one inside the other), you'll probably be OK.

40 degrees is EASY. Don't sweat it, make sure you've got rain gear on and you'll be fine. A night in a hotel is better than a wreck on the road, so be smart.

Ride Safe,

Joe
post #10 of 30 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 9:53 am
was

I've got a size 40 L Widders heated vest that I can overnight to you for your ride if you want. Not gonna be using it until I get my bike back together again, so no problem. It has leads that hook up to the battery, other end plugs into the vest, simple on/off switch, it would take 5 minutes to set up. PM me with your address if you're interested.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #11 of 30 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:26 am

Cold Weather Riding

I've done quite a bit of cold weather riding up here in the Big White North (Canada). I find on a long trip if you can keep the draft from going up you legs this will help quite a bit. I'm a skier so I wear a fleece top under my jacket and a neck warmer. You will not have any problems with the LT with its heated hand grips and seat. I ride K1200LT which I find quite comfortable and long as I keep the draft for going up my legs. A pair of insulated gloves wud be quite useful also a rain suit. Above all; ride safe and Happy Easter.

post #12 of 30 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 2:02 pm

Good gloves are a must, even with heated grips, and keep the wind off your neck. It's surprising how many little cracks there are for the icy wind to get through. 40 degrees isn't really icy, though, so you'll be fine if you keep the wind out. I use good waterproofing on my boots, too - there's nothing as cold as cold feet unless it's wet cold feet Stop often and let your body warm up if necessary - lots of hot liquids. Soup is particularly good as it doesn't go through you quite as fast as coffee/tea so your next stop will be a bit further on...

I rode around MA/NH at the end of February beginning of March. The air temp was typically in the low 30's with wind chill in the teens. With good thermals, layers (as suggested by many) and heated grips/seats we were toasty.

Finally, 'watch your back'. The cold wind turbulence at your back can be a real pain if there's not much padding there!
post #13 of 30 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 2:46 pm Thread Starter
swb

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

I'm not planning on pushing it. Plan to spend the night about 20miles north of Kansas City, there is a state park right off I-35. I do have rain gear and poly base layers. I do have a back up plan if the weather turns really bad, someone to meet me w/ a truck. This is a '91k100lt, so it does have heated hand grips, not sure about the seat. I've done quite a bit of cold weather camping and bicycle riding/touring so i'm thinking this is not the "idea" trip but all should work out. Thanks for the suggestions I'll keep everyone posted at this site:

http://stevescycletripsmore.blogspot.com

I also believe I do have a ride from the airport. Was wondering if there is a few headed to the Bliz at Branson up US75/69. Depending on time leaving might be able to meet up as I head out of Plano. Thanks again.
post #14 of 30 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 8:39 pm Thread Starter
swb

looks like rain...

As the day approches the forcast isn't getting any better. What about putting Rain X on the windshild? Is that a good idea?
post #15 of 30 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 8:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

NO RAINX...

Absolutely NOT!

Sorry for the shout.. but don't do it.. you'll likely ruin your windscreen.

Brillianize has worked for me...quite well.

What size are you.. I can and will send my Heated gear to Deputy5211 if that will help.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #16 of 30 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:31 pm Thread Starter
swb

Clothing...

I'm not worried about the cold. I've put together what should work. I actually found an old ski bib that worked well over-top of my cycle pants and they are waterproof w/ velcro on the legs so it can close tight. I just want to be as safe as possible, so I'll make sure to take my time. I have never done much motorcycling in the rain, only short jaunts when forced to. Actually have had not had the right motorcyle until now to ride in wet weather.

It might be interresting pulling into home if we get what is forcasted here, 6" - 11" inches of the white stuff through Thurs. I'll just keep a positive attitude and look for places that serve hot soup and coffee. I did pick up a motorcycle cover so when inside the bike itself doesn't keep getting drenched.

Here's another question: I will wrap everything I want to keep dry in plastic, i've done this before in other wet weather adventures. Will the side bags keep the water out some or not? Does anyone know this?
post #17 of 30 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 6:07 am

I've ridden in the rain and (not at the same time) the cold down to 9 degrees. I always carry plastic bags for both my feet and hands. It adds a windproof/waterproof layer and is cheap and replacable. If you put plastic bags on your feet, put your waterproof pants cuffs over them. Also leave the plastic bags on your hands OVER the jacket cuffs. If you don't have heated gloves then put the bags on your hands espeecially when the temps are below 40. My LT is awesome in the cold and rain, but I put 42,000 miles on a naked Suzuki GS750E between the fall of 2003 and the fall of 2005. The Suzi didn't have heated anything, and, until I got some Widder gloves, the gloves I wore had stripes branded into them from where I was reaching down to warm my frozen digits on the cylinder head. Not a great move at 70 mph, but it was better than frostbite.

Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT
post #18 of 30 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 7:19 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb
. . . I have never done much motorcycling in the rain, only short jaunts when forced to. Actually have had not had the right motorcyle until now to ride in wet weather.
You're gonna do fine in the rain. You will be astonished at the amount of protection that you get from the bike. Just watch out for water buildup on poorly pitched roads, could lead to loss of traction for a moment. Ride it out straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb
It might be interresting pulling into home if we get what is forcasted here, 6" - 11" inches of the white stuff through Thurs. I'll just keep a positive attitude and look for places that serve hot soup and coffee.
Best you can do. Hope the roads are plowed clean. And I'm sure that you will remember that whatever your deadline, it is less important than getting home safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb
Here's another question: I will wrap everything I want to keep dry in plastic, i've done this before in other wet weather adventures. Will the side bags keep the water out some or not? Does anyone know this?
Side bags do a good job of keeping the water out, but are not waterproof. They also do not protect the contents from the rain when you open them. I always wrap in plastic too. Good luck!

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #19 of 30 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 9:19 am

Deacon,

Why "NO" on Rain-x? I have had people recommend it. Does it (would it) damage a windscreen (my Cee Bailey)? As always, I appreciate your foresight.
post #20 of 30 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 9:34 am

Deacon,

Disregard my last question on Rain-x. I did a search on this site after asking and was "educated" on what it will do. The knowledge base (and data base) of this forum never fails to impress me. Thanks.
post #21 of 30 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 11:23 am
fas

caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
NO RAINX...

Absolutely NOT!

Sorry for the shout.. but don't do it.. you'll likely ruin your windscreen.

Brillianize has worked for me...quite well.

What size are you.. I can and will send my Heated gear to Deputy5211 if that will help.
+1

If you read the Rain-X label it says do not do it.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #22 of 30 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 11:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

If you have the room, pack a thermos with you when you fly down to pick up the bike. Sometimes conditions don't "happen" when you are at a convenient place to get out of the weather and hot liquids can help take the chill off if you're hunkered down.

Denny
post #23 of 30 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb

-steve
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=99
this was this past weekend, when i left chicago it was 24 degrees, and by the time i got to Indianapolis it was 30, the warmest of that day was 41 degrees, i layered up, and only have the heated seats and hand warmers, but do not, and i am serious, do not use high on the heated seats, it will burn your A$$, as i am living proof, and i had four layers on my bottom when that happened, that first day i did 722 miles in 11 hours, watch for the peeps with the radar detectors, give them some room and let them warn you before you even chance a ticket. Good luck, have fun, my biggest problem was cold feet.
post #24 of 30 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
the gloves I wore had stripes branded into them from where I was reaching down to warm my frozen digits on the cylinder head. Not a great move at 70 mph, but it was better than frostbite.

Robin
Classic, that is beautiful, i remember those days, Hardcore Baby!!!
post #25 of 30 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 7:48 pm Thread Starter
swb

I'm caught!!!

So I left Plano at 7:40AM this morning. Nice until I got out of town and then the rain and wind started. I only made it to Joplin, MO. The storm today is bad. When I got on the Turnpike (US69) until here there were four cars in the ditch. I'll update the blog (see above) to tell more. The LT was GRRRRRRAT. The only real problem is there is a short in the heated grips, when I turned them on I would blow a fuse. We'll see what the morning holds!!!
post #26 of 30 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 6:43 am

Good morning Steve,

Keep riding north. We are going to have a great weekend for riding up here. There is going to be no wind and temps in the mid 50s - 60s. Spring is finally here in the northland. At least you won't have to put the new bike in storage when you get it home. I just spent 1/2 hour outside with no jacket. Just sitting there with my coffee and listening to all the turkeys, pheasants and, other birds just singing in the spring weather.
From your neighbor just down Hwy 14 to the west

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #27 of 30 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:16 pm Thread Starter
swb

Home

Made it home. Tired and going to bed. Who would of thought by going north you would get into warmer temps...
post #28 of 30 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Rest well, you've earned it. Enjoy the new ride!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #29 of 30 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 5:57 am

I am glad to hear you made it home. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your trip. Today should be a beautiful day to ride or at least clean the bike if your parts don't want to get back on where they have been.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

post #30 of 30 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 9:35 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
I am glad to hear you made it home. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your trip. Today should be a beautiful day to ride or at least clean the bike if your parts don't want to get back on where they have been.
+1, man. What a story to tell about your first ride on the bike! Well done.

Bill
Guilford, CT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in