The new Connie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 5:55 am Thread Starter

The new Connie

I am SOOO glad that I bought my GT when I did. Half of me wanted to buy the GT, while the other half was thinking that I should wait until the new Connie was released. That half would still be waiting. Meanwhile, those poor guys with their deposits down on the C14 might not see their new bike until Fall of this year. Bummer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 6:49 am

Obligatory sinking cargo ship photo...

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 8:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Is that cash or hardware getting wet, Dave? I suspect both?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 8:51 am

You are SO right, Joe. I sold the LT thinking I'd see the Connie in June. "Officially", Kawasaki has sent letters to dealers saying the Connie will be delivered in June. I'm now hearing rumors of Sep. If they wait that long, they're going to lose a lot of sales simply because of how late it is in the season, not to mentions those just getting tired of waiting.

I'm now on the fence. If a used GT were to come along at a good price, it might just push me over the edge.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 9:40 am

Late deliveries. Broken arrival date promises. You'd thought Kawasaki woulda learned their lesson when this same #@%*! happened with the ZX14...?

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #6 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 9:43 am Thread Starter

I have to wonder what Kaw was thinking when they decided to release this dangling carrot so early. Sure it built excitement and anticipation. But how long can that last? By this summer all of that will turn into bitterness and anger. ESPECIALLY if June and July go by and we don't see one on a showroom floor.

This may be the biggest marketing blunder since the Edsel. Time will tell.
post #7 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Those are the new Connies!

When Yamaha was still eat up with the Priority Delivery Program, also known as “plunk down $500 and wait”, those pictures were thrown out a lot on the FJR board. Some prospective owner (waiter) would post how his dealer had told him “March 1st” and today is the 2nd and now the dealer doesn’t have my bike and won’t tell me why….Then someone who had previously gone through the process (referred to as a “waiter baiter”) would post up the obligatory sinking cargo ship photo with some fake connection to that years FJR shipment, and so on, and so on.

You ended up with waiters, waiter baiters, waiter whiners, waiter baiter whiners, waiter whiner baiters, and waiter baiter whiner baiters

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #8 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62

You ended up with waiters, waiter baiters, waiter whiners, waiter baiter whiners, waiter whiner baiters, and waiter baiter whiner baiters

Say that 5 times rapidly!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #9 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Say that 5 times rapidly!
Not unless I want to get censored!!!

Marshall, Tx

post #10 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 3:01 pm

Quote:

When Yamaha was still eat up with the Priority Delivery Program, also known as “plunk down $500 and wait”, those pictures were thrown out a lot on the FJR board. Some prospective owner (waiter) would post how his dealer had told him “March 1st” and today is the 2nd and now the dealer doesn’t have my bike and won’t tell me why….Then someone who had previously gone through the process (referred to as a “waiter baiter”) would post up the obligatory sinking cargo ship photo with some fake connection to that years FJR shipment, and so on, and so on.

Were the guys who were really good at it called master baiters?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #11 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 3:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Were the guys who were really good at it called master baiters?
Finally someone said it before I did!
Kind of like Belushi on SNL playing a Master Baker!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 28 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Finally someone said it before I did!
Kind of like Belushi on SNL playing a Master Baker!
Yep, I wasn't going to go there......

Marshall, Tx

post #13 of 28 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 5:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Um...boys...it's a coming sooner than you might think and it's going to be magnificent:

http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=82333

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #14 of 28 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I have to wonder what Kaw was thinking when they decided to release this dangling carrot so early. Sure it built excitement and anticipation. But how long can that last? By this summer all of that will turn into bitterness and anger. ESPECIALLY if June and July go by and we don't see one on a showroom floor.

This may be the biggest marketing blunder since the Edsel. Time will tell.
Man how quickly you guys forget. The K1200S??? Ring any bells???

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #15 of 28 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Man how quickly you guys forget. The K1200S??? Ring any bells???
Naw...it wasn't this bad. At least, not the way I'm remembering it.

You got 10K miles on that FJR yet? I'll be in Texas in two weeks. See ya?
post #16 of 28 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 8:35 pm

Messenger13 flame bait

Quote:

Ah but all that waiting and whining and baiting was worth it. I prefer my '04 FJR over the LT for most riding. If it weren't for my bride's pref for the LT, I'd trade them both on a new FJR.

As for the Connie.... Doug, are you sorry you sold the LT so early?

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #17 of 28 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 9:23 pm

Yep, sometimes it still hurts not seeing her in the garage, but at least I have visiting rights!

Marshall, Tx

post #18 of 28 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Hey Doug!

If it doesn't stop raining, you're visitation is going to be moved to a slip at the the Medina Lake yacht Club!

Trip to Little Rock was canceled early this morning but you can catch a glimpse of her later this week out that way and hopefully at Coffee on Friday morning.

rickbnsa
post #19 of 28 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
I prefer my '04 FJR over the LT for most riding. If it weren't for my bride's pref for the LT, I'd trade them both on a new FJR.
Gail prefers the LT also. When it's just me, the FJR racks up miles at a 10 to 1 ratio over the LT.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #20 of 28 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbnsa
Hey Doug!

If it doesn't stop raining, you're visitation is going to be moved to a slip at the the Medina Lake yacht Club!

Trip to Little Rock was canceled early this morning but you can catch a glimpse of her later this week out that way and hopefully at Coffee on Friday morning.

rickbnsa
Well, it's a good chance for you to try out those heated grips at least. Man, I miss those things.

Won't see me at *$$ Fri. I'm heading to East Tx Thur morning. Just make sure you sit against the wall. The view is MUCH better from there.

Marshall, Tx

post #21 of 28 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Well, it's a good chance for you to try out those heated grips at least. Man, I miss those things.

Won't see me at *$$ Fri. I'm heading to East Tx Thur morning. Just make sure you sit against the wall. The view is MUCH better from there.
Hey, Rick - you can park your butt in the corner plush-chair left of the door. Provides an immediate approval/disapproval view.

I'm not making *$$ this Friday either - gotta chauffeur the pup to the vet for removal of 'fixin' stitches. Not much else keeps me away from 0600 hours at *$$ on Friday mornings - maybe missed a dozen since '00.
post #22 of 28 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Naw...it wasn't this bad. At least, not the way I'm remembering it.

You got 10K miles on that FJR yet? I'll be in Texas in two weeks. See ya?
Gettin' close. Trip to Big Bend next week should put me over. I really need to move farther away from work...

Give a shout if you're coming through DFW.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

post #23 of 28 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 3:39 pm
rlv

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
Ah but all that waiting and whining and baiting was worth it. I prefer my '04 FJR over the LT for most riding. If it weren't for my bride's pref for the LT, I'd trade them both on a new FJR.

As for the Connie.... Doug, are you sorry you sold the LT so early?
I would have to agree with you, since I purchased th 07 fjr the LT just sits.
The fjr handels like a dream and is a lot more fun to ride.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #24 of 28 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 7:39 pm

I guess I don't see what all the fuss is about.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #25 of 28 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:08 pm

I'm with you Steve R. ,,,,,,,,

How can one be more fun than the other???? Isn't that why they maker chocolate and vanilla ice cream,,, not everybody likes vanilla

The LT is as much fun to some of us as any bike built.... If everyone just buys the bike that speaks to them, then we'll all be happy!!

Some of us would hardly ever ride if FJR, GT's, K-S/R's or concours was all there was.... Some of us only ride Wings, LT's or FLHTC's .......

Anyway, whats all the fuss about???? ..............Pete
post #26 of 28 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:23 am

I guess that nobody noticed that the "Vagrant" in the photo's (the dude on the right) is trying not to fall over after catching site of the TWO penises hanging out that guys zipper (the guy on the left)??

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #27 of 28 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 3:12 pm

chocolate vs vanilla

I kinda like a scoop of each and one each of cookies and cream and cookie dough. That's why I have an LT and an FJR plus the one in the avitar and one lurking. And I said I "prefer" the FJR over the LT. Both are fun in their own way but I like a touring bike that will try to pull my arms out of their sockets with a little twist of the wrist, my wife likes one with bigger and better passenger accomodations. And throw in a few hundred miles of gravel/dirt and I prefer the adventure tourer. And I certainly didn't detect a fuss until y'all started fussin' = )

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
I'm with you Steve R. ,,,,,,,,

How can one be more fun than the other???? Isn't that why they maker chocolate and vanilla ice cream,,, not everybody likes vanilla

The LT is as much fun to some of us as any bike built.... If everyone just buys the bike that speaks to them, then we'll all be happy!!

Some of us would hardly ever ride if FJR, GT's, K-S/R's or concours was all there was.... Some of us only ride Wings, LT's or FLHTC's .......

Anyway, whats all the fuss about???? ..............Pete

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #28 of 28 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 7:22 pm

Quote:
I am SOOO glad that I bought my GT when I did. Half of me wanted to buy the GT, while the other half was thinking that I should wait until the new Connie was released. That half would still be waiting. Meanwhile, those poor guys with their deposits down on the C14 might not see their new bike until Fall of this year. Bummer.
I had to put a deposit down and wait 5 months to get an available GSA, so I don't see much difference!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in