2001 K1200 LT - less than 4K miles - How much? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

2001 K1200 LT - less than 4K miles - How much?

I am currently riding a Kaw Concours and am considering a 2001 K1200 LT - not sure what it would be worth - has less than 4K miles. Would appreciate any opinions you may have.

Also am interested in any thoughts on the riding position. Not sure I really like the Sport Touring position of the Concours - how does it compare to the K1200?

Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archinal
I am currently riding a Kaw Concours and am considering a 2001 K1200 LT - not sure what it would be worth - has less than 4K miles. Would appreciate any opinions you may have.

Also am interested in any thoughts on the riding position. Not sure I really like the Sport Touring position of the Concours - how does it compare to the K1200?

Thanks a lot
PM Doug Turner (dwsdad) here on the list. He's a Connie and LT owner (just sold his LT week or so ago). He can give you good info on both bikes - his Connie is an '86 and the LT wuz a '99.
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:55 pm

2001 K1200lt

Take a look at the cycle trader on line
2001 Lt's run from 8-10k. Can be more depending on accessories "farkles". Don't get hung up with the mileage - its still a 2001. These bikes are built for riding & riding lots - a six year old bike with less than 4k miles needs a thorough inspection, minimum change of all fluids is likely required. Often a bike with more mileage is a better buy.

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Post Here is a copy of the reply I wrote you on the Yahoo forum

Funny thing is that I had bought a Connie a few years back and made the switch to the LT as my SO at the time was very uncomfortable. I too was uncomfortable, even with the lowered pegs and bar risers.
Although I liked the nimbleness of the bike and the performance of the 1000cc engine.
Having made the switch, I cannot fathom going back to the Connie, not even the new 1400cc.
What to pay for a 2001 LT? Depending on the condition and added accessories, you are looking at a $8,000-$10,000 range. The low mileage is not necessary a good thing as it means the bike has been sitting a lot. If the bike was garaged and the paint and chrome (if any) look good then you may have a real find on your hands.
Be sure to look at the maintenance records and/or receipts. You may have to change all fluids, and possibly flush the clutch and brake system in addition to the cooling system 92 radiators).
You will find that the maintenance is expensive if you take the bike to the dealer. If you are handy with tools you will save a lot of cash. Browse and join the www.bmwlt.com site and do some reading. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even the ones you think are stupid; this may save you a lot of aggravation. Besides the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask!
From time to time we have tech sessions where we share knowledge and make new friends, so feel free to join the party.
The LT is an awesome bike that commends some respect and will give you a lot of satisfaction while you own it. I am on my 3rd used LT, every one being newer than the previous.

Also you may want to fill out your profile so members local to you can better assist you or meet for a tech session!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 1:40 am

I don't know, that connie 14 stands a really good chance of getting a parking spot in my garage.... I have to see it and ride it in before I'll know more, but I'm just wait-in for it!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 7:58 am

This is 2007 bike is 6 going on 7 years old. I have seen several posted for under $7K so I would start my offers at $5200. You can always go up in price. You may get some heated replies , so what, This is business.
Of course I'm a hard line negotiator, working from a stand point of I don't need this bike. I would not mind owning it for the right price.
Someone out there will think they need the money more than the bike .(I never caught on to that idea)
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rock

Last edited by UncleRock; Apr 6th, 2007 at 8:03 am.
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 8:20 am

Amen to Rock's advice. When I was looking for an 03 or so, I saw LOTs of them for $10 - $13K, still do. When I read the post, I was thinking $6 - $7K as an opening price. 2001 with 4K hasn't been ridden much. There seems to be a preponderance of low mileage LTs out there. Some people buy them like an HD - for the status of a BMW and then don;t ride much. That's how I got mine. Guy bought it and intended to ride, but didn't.

An 01, like others said, is going to need fluids changed at a minimum.

Low ball it to start with. A bike is a luxury, not a necessity for most. So get a good price on it.

Randy
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 2:28 pm

I got a 2003 LTC with 5000+miles on it for $11,600 in January. Great condition, no scratches, glossy paint, good tires, etc. Just changed the oil a couple of weeks ago.

For a 2001 in great condition, $8,000 -$10,000 seems about right.

John
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 4:00 pm

Yeah but....

I was patient and found an 03 ltc with 6300 miles for $9745. It had the autocomm, a funky home-brewed charger ( I don;t use it), and an extra brake light for farkles, as well as the regular stuff, cd changer, luggage rack. Also had all the manuals. 2 scratches, good tires. PO also threw in two Shoei RJ air helmets with the headsets in them and the bag liners.

I just think $8 - $10 K is high for an 01. That's a good starting point for the seller, imo. I'm "extra cheap" so I just think that's a bit high, when with a little patience, one can find a really good deal. In my case, a member here found mine in his local paper, about 3 hrs away from me. He PM'd me about it.

Ebay seems to have the most optimistic sellers, but most bikes didn't seem to be meeting the reserve when I was looking. If an owner is not riding it, they will eventually get tired of insurance, license, and such and come off their price to move it out of the garage. Just being in the right place at the right time is the key.

that's just my tightwad opinion, though.

Randy
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 4:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

There is a nice '03 that just came on the market. Belongs to one of our own members, Gilles (zippy_gg) who did not tell you about his own bike. You might PM him and ask him about his bike. I thought about buying it, but wanted it sooner than I could get it here from L.A.

If I wasn't in a rush, I would not hesitate to buy a bike from Gilles.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 9:40 pm

A good deal is one where you think you paid too much and the seller thinks he didnt get enough!

Seriously I just bought a 99 with 18k miles on it. I paid too mcuh for it according to many I shared with(8900 btw). Guess what, I LOVE THIS BIKE! It was the color I wanted and the mileage was low, but not dangerously so. Showroom clean and well maintained. I guess what Im saying is if its a good deal to you then its a good deal. Take everyones advice, but ultimately if you get what you want no one has to know how much it cost.

Think of it like this, in order to get one brand new your probably looking at 22k after taxes! If you like the bike I say go for it. For me I held out for the right color, when I found it I grabbed it. Either way enjoy ur decision

Tom
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 1:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Thanks for the plug Tony!
I want to clean the bike up and make it spiffy before selling it, but all that is on hold until I get through my tax audit on April 17.
In the meantime I am enjoying the 05!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
There is a nice '03 that just came on the market. Belongs to one of our own members, Gilles (zippy_gg) who did not tell you about his own bike. You might PM him and ask him about his bike. I thought about buying it, but wanted it sooner than I could get it here from L.A.

If I wasn't in a rush, I would not hesitate to buy a bike from Gilles.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in