Riding Opinions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 2:47 am Thread Starter

Riding Opinions

Ok here is a question for you all. If you are riding on a Hwy,say 60-80 mph depending on conditions, and you pull up behind a semi carrying live stock, say any live stock, what do you do?

Next question. It is my experience that pulling up behind a Car Hauler on the Hwy causes more wind buffeting that any other semi out there. What say you?

I have my answers to the above just wanted to start something here.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 4:18 am

Pass

Pass and keep going.
post #3 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 5:13 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
Ok here is a question for you all. If you are riding on a Hwy,say 60-80 mph depending on conditions, and you pull up behind a semi carrying live stock, say any live stock, what do you do?
I hold my breath and pass them just as fast as I can. I try to never stay behind any large vehicle and I alway pass as quickly as I can (even if it means exceeding the speed limit momentarily ). I don't want to be beside one even worse than I don't want to be behind one.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 5:32 am

I maintain a "sh*t-safe" distance and wait for an opportunity to pass safely and make a W-I-D-E overtake as fast as the bike possibly can.

Same thing with car haulers or any haulers for that matter. You'll never know what might be jarred loose from the cargo. Always pays to be alert & careful.
I remember reading of an accident a couple of years ago where a starter assembly was jarred loose from a junk hauler and took out the head of one unfortunate cage driver.

Be careful out there!
post #5 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 8:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

http://www.last.fm/music/Frank+Zappa...he+Yellow+Snow

Dreamed I was an Eskimo
(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop-bop Ta-da-da)
Frozen wind began to blow
Under my boots 'n around my toe
Frost had bit the ground below
(Boop-boop aiee-ay-ah!)
Was a hundred degrees below zero
(Booh!)
And my momma cried:
Boo-a-hoo hoo-ooo
And my momma cried:
Nanook-a, no no (no no . . . )
Nanook-a, no no (no no . . . )
Don't be a naughty Eskimo-wo-oh
Save your money: don't go to the show
Well I turned around an' I said:
HO HO
(Booh!)
HO HO
(Booh!)
HO HO
An' the Northern Lites commenced t' glow
An' she said
(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop . . . )
With a tear in her eye:
WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO
AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW
WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO
AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW
2. Nanook Rubs It 4:37

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:02 am
Gold Supporter

Drop a gear and disappear.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #7 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:26 am

There I was, somewhere in Virginia... I think it was on Highway 29 or some other two-lane road through rolling hills for dozens of miles with no safe (much less legal) place to pass, and I was behind a semi with a trailer FULL of sheep that was going at or about the speed limit.

I was on my 1972 R60, a bike that was never known for it's acceleration with a Windjammer fairing to slow it down even more.

I could never see around the truck long enough to see if there was a car coming the other way. After ten miles or more (it seemed like forever), I just backed off, and at the next opportunity I stopped -- I think it was at a McDonalds or a 7-Eleven or something -- for a Coke and mentally calculated how long I should wait to let the truck get far enough down the road that I wouldn't end up behind it again.

I did pass the sheep truck later -- by then the road was two lanes in each direction.

Man, I hate the smell of sheep, especially in the summer.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #8 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:30 am

Wait till you get behind a chicken hauler. Lots o feathers! Cheers.
post #9 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:41 am

I'd rather get hit by chicken poop than by sheep poop.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #10 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:17 am

How about cruising along on the highway, and feeling little droplets of moisture hitting you from that reefer truck up ahead? As you get closer and closer, the drops get larger and more frequent. You get the opportunity to pass the truck and read "So-And-So's Fresh Fish" on the side. When you get to your destination, people give you a wide berth, but every cat in the area thinks your special!

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #11 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:01 pm

What I have experienced is while riding on the freeway and coming up behind two trucks that are in the outside lane. As I get closer the trailing truck pulls into the inside lane and just sits there or very slowly, 1mph or so, starts to pass the lead truck. One night headed into Salt Lake had a trucker pull out just as I came up then sat in the inside lane next to the other truck for miles. There was no reason I could see that he couldn't pass the other truck. I finally moved over close to the left shoulder and flashed the brights at him and he pulled ahead. As I passed him he swerved ever so slightly at me. Now that sounds malicious to me.
Now as far as the original question, I don't trust truckers to be aware of me on the road and get around them as soon as realistic. No matter what they're hauling. And take into account the winds that may be present as the big trucks have a "bow wave" that can really toss you around as you get by the front.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #12 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:35 pm
King of the Castle

I was on my LT once on the freeway going through Oklahoma city and came up behind a truck carrying watermelons. I was right behind it about to pass when it hit a bump going over an overpass and a large melon flew out and exploded right in front of me. Scared the crap out of me and I was picking seeds out of the radiator and other crevices in the front of the bike for a week. I try to pass all vehicles carrying cargo ASAP.

Bruce

2012 Kawasaki Concours
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
2006 Harley Road Glide

post #13 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:02 pm

I always wait for a safe area then pass as fast as I can. I have found that big trucks make the air behind them "dirty" for a long way. One of the worst vehicles I have followed was a little boxy Scion.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #14 of 23 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 7:27 am

Pass with a wide path

I'd like to concur with our friend above who said pass with a wide berth. Once in the State of VA, in turkey country, I passed a 18 wheeler hauling a full load of turkey crates to the slaughter house. The truck was going about 55 MPH and I decided to pass at 65 MPH to get around it. I was about 6 to 8 ft. from the side of the truck when my windshield got splattered with Turkey poop. Who da thunk a turkey could poop over 6 ft. laterally in a 55 mph windstream. So I vote pass, pass quickly and pass wide as you can.

Ultra LT
post #15 of 23 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 3:58 pm

I was on my way to work, back in 1984, on my 74 R90/6. when I came behind a HOG hauler (live hogs-not the HD type). I stayed back in the right lane about 50 feet. When I heard them coming up along side me, they pulled right up next to the HOG carrying semi. Two by Two - 6 deep, waiting for the light, well the live hogs knew what to do they all seemed to get the same idea, they did't like the noise from their brother, metal hogs, an started to P***, all over them. Because they were Two x Two, all they could do was wait for the light.

I laughed all the way to work.

So remember to stay clear of those HOGS, BOTH TYPES.
post #16 of 23 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 9:29 am

Take the safest approch

Quote:

Next question. It is my experience that pulling up behind a Car Hauler on the Hwy causes more wind buffeting that any other semi out there. What say you?
Personally,
Change lanes at a good long distance behind any large vehicle before I come too close, then pass as quick and safe as possible. I think ridding anywhere close to a vehicle that large is dangerous....to much can happen or possibility of the unexpected. i.e. limited view, blown tire, unseen road debrey, road kill, etc. And, I always really, really respect Murphy's Law above all.
post #17 of 23 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_jumptd
I think riding anywhere close to a vehicle that large is dangerous....too much can happen or possibility of the unexpected. i.e. limited view, blown tire, unseen road debris, road kill, etc.

Having a million miles or more driving a semi truck cross country before I had enough, I was always amazed by the people who would pull up alongside me (with MY cruise set, rolling steady) and just 'hang' there. By all means, get around the truck as soon as you safely can! I had a trailer tire blow without warning with a car next to me once. Very scary, they sound like a bomb going off. Tore up my mud flap & sent that sailing into a tailgater, and the guy next to me got a GOOD scuff from the rubber (with steel cords) down the side of his car. Someone on a bike wouldn't have made it upright for sure. Another time in Indiana a guy took his sweet time passing me (like 1mph faster than me) and as he slowly moved ahead of me the crosswind that I had been blocking for him suddenly caught his pickup at the same time that he hit a patch of fresh snow. It was kinda funny watching him a few feet ahead of me sliding sideways @ 55 just staring up at me with fear in his eyes... OK the associated paperwork wasn't funny, and I'm sure the rest of his trip with 2 busted windows from the impact wasn't fun for him either.
Point is, you can't see what's on the other side of a large vehicle and can't predict what might happen. Get as far away as possible as soon as possible. If not for you then at least try to respect the other driver's 'safety cushion' area.
post #18 of 23 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 2:11 pm

watch your speed though

I always pass quickly trying to avoid any blown tires and such. That said, these bikes can accelerate quickly so watch your spped bro. A couple days ago I did the same, traffic was going 80 on a 70 on a two lane highway and I dropped a gear and passed a truck quickly and just as I cleared the truck there was a LEO with a laser and tagged me at 93 in a 70. He followed for a couple miles to see how I way driving unknown to me, but I wasn't speeding, was only getting ahead of the truck, but he finally pulled me over to write one up. No compassion for bikers I say! Time to pickup a Valentine 1, seems to be what everyone is using. Legally you are supposed to be able to pass 10 mph above the speed limit. It was my fault I suppose for not just dropping back, but I'm just not wired that way, and neither is my bike! I'll do it again, and if I get caught my attorney will get another $300 to get a ticket dropped for me so I have my shiny driving record and the game shall play on.
post #19 of 23 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 4:28 pm

Truck drivers these days are not the brightest bulbs in the lamp.
My apologies if you drive a truck. This country should invest heavily
in the rail transport system. Tractor trailers are a waste.
And I steer clear when I can.

Hello 07 R1200S
Bye2006 LT
1982 R65
Buy More Warranty!
post #20 of 23 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle
Legally you are supposed to be able to pass 10 mph above the speed limit.

Interesting - can anyone confirm this for their states? I tried the "was just passing" excuse some 20 years ago or more here in Michigan & was told by the cop & later the judge that it didn't matter, the limit is the limit. No matter to me, I'll still take the safest way to pass even if I risk a little speed violation.
post #21 of 23 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 5:18 pm

If it is four lane, I move to the left lane and ride in the left wheel track and pass as quickly as I can and give the driver a wave as I pull back to right - well ahead of him...

If it is two lane, I lay back and wait for a clear spot then hammer it and pass as quickly as I can and give the driver a wave as I pull back to the right - as far ahead of him as I can....

Either way, I keep my speed up and put some distance between us - especially on the downhills where those guys are trying to take advantage of gravity...
post #22 of 23 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 9:39 pm

school daze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-L

Interesting - can anyone confirm this for their states? I tried the "was just passing" excuse some 20 years ago or more here in Michigan & was told by the cop & later the judge that it didn't matter, the limit is the limit. No matter to me, I'll still take the safest way to pass even if I risk a little speed violation.
That's what I learned in a national drivers education course in GA for my 10% insurance discount. I take them every 3 years or so until they run out and that's what they say.
post #23 of 23 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:

I have my answers to the above just wanted to start something here.
Well I sure did kick up some dust here and I got a few belly laughs as well. Great stories guys and very good advise. Hope you got the laughs and wisdom I got out of the thread.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in