Luxury or Sport Touring forum - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Luxury or Sport Touring forum

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and new to BMW. Well, actually haven't gotten my bike yet; still on the fence between an R12RT or a GT.

Anyway, maybe this is a silly question, but it seems that there are 2 website communities that are very similar, the sport touring forum and luxury touring forum. Is there a real difference in the membership, or is it just 2 different, independent sites? Looking at the forum discussions, they both seem interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:22 pm

Hmm. Squid or Caviar? Always a tough choice.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 1:05 pm

Have fun deciding. This is about the only m/c forum I visit, since I have an LT. I'm new to BMW too and this was the bike I was after and I have found great information on here for the LT. Not sure about what you'll find for the RT or GT, but when ya get down to it, most motorcycle communities are very similar. Find the one that fits you best and hang your hat.

I certainly welcome you here, even though I personally don;t knopw the difference between an RT and a GT. I do however know a K motor from an R motor and I know what the R/GSes are.... LOL

That's about the extent of my BMW knowledge. I did know they made bikes AND cars...

Randy

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 1:23 pm
fas

learning from others............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and new to BMW. Well, actually haven't gotten my bike yet; still on the fence between an R12RT or a GT.

Anyway, maybe this is a silly question, but it seems that there are 2 website communities that are very similar, the sport touring forum and luxury touring forum. Is there a real difference in the membership, or is it just 2 different, independent sites? Looking at the forum discussions, they both seem interesting.
You might also enjoy reading some in advrider before you drop down your money on a bike. http://www.advrider.com/

The more time you dedicate to learning about what you really want, the better your decision will be. It's like girls. Don't rush it.

After my brother in law rode my GT he could not stop smiling. He's on an R now that he has been riding for over 8 years. I firmly believe you can never have enough money, horsepower, or brakes.....

Good luck with your decision.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
It's like girls.
...But, but, but... I have THREE bikes in the garage.... I can ride any of them on any given day...

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

Ah, that's the optimal solution: multiple bikes, one for speed, one for touring. Alas, I don't want to spend that much money yet.
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 5:20 pm

You can't have enough motocycles and you can't belong to enough forums! I get so much information out of all of them. AdventureRider is great for the ride tales especially. The LT and ST forums really connect you with people who can teach you all you ever wanted to know about your bike. The Tech days that they each have are great. The support you get from the people you will meet here on line will amaze you, really like a family. If i was to choose between the RT or the GT it would be the GT. Good Luck.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 6:24 pm

Talking All other forums bad!

I have been reading this site for awhile now.... I have an LT

Then I heard about www.advrider.com ..... now I want a GS.....

Then Joe bought a GT.... now I want a GT....

I either need a better job or win the lottery...

This site has everything you want, but be careful! Have what you like; pork, chicken or beef!! Either way, this site has enormous amounts of information and a 'leetle' bit of bs.

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

post #9 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 9:27 pm

Try www.k-bikes.com if you really want to see a similar site. It has the same web host (or whatever you call it) so it has the same "look and feel". There is also a separate site that deals mostly with the K1200RS but since that bike is no more, it has also expanded.

I joined the BMW Sport Touring list back when it was the RT forum because I was thinking about buying an RT. The prior version of this list was the K1200LT forum. Since then both sites have expanded to include other models so the differences are a little blurred. You will see some of the same people on more than one list. Probably more than I realize if they use different names on each list.

Try 'em all. They are all interesting.

This list remains my very favorite. Don't tell the folks on the other lists.
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 9:53 pm

Consider partnerships

Seriously, I used to be in a good Cessna aircraft partnership. 1/4th is a lot less money. This would especially work if you already own a bike as your primary ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michman
I have been reading this site for awhile now.... I have an LT

Then I heard about www.advrider.com ..... now I want a GS.....

Then Joe bought a GT.... now I want a GT....

I either need a better job or win the lottery...

This site has everything you want, but be careful! Have what you like; pork, chicken or beef!! Either way, this site has enormous amounts of information and a 'leetle' bit of bs.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous

Is there a real difference in the membership, or is it just 2 different, independent sites? Looking at the forum discussions, they both seem interesting.
With both being "interesting", participate at both places. The diversity is good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in