New Rider - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

New Rider

After over 25 years of sitting on the back my wife who has turned 60 this year has decided she is tired of being a passenger and is going to take her motorcycle training course and buy a bike of her own. What do you guys out there think of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:05 pm

Good on her! 60 is the new 30 - many happy miles and God Bless!
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:08 pm

Its a big undertaking and I wish her all the luck possible and wish her safe riding as well. If I were you, and she really wants to do this, I would stick her on a bicycle for a bit so she gets used to the 2 wheel thing again.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:51 pm

Wife Breaking Out.....

What do you think ?
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:52 pm

My wife is starting to ride again after 25 years. I bought her a 150 cc Vespa. It is an easy non-threatening way to get back into it. When she is comfortable. We will move to something bigger. There is nothing more intimidating for a newbie than a large bike. Start with something she can handle. Even if you don't buy one. Renting a scooter for a couple of weeks, will really help her get her confidence and skills up to handling a bigger bike.
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up My wife did too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper11
After over 25 years of sitting on the back my wife who has turned 60 this year has decided she is tired of being a passenger and is going to take her motorcycle training course and buy a bike of her own. What do you guys out there think of that.
She'll know for sure after taking the beginners safety course whether she wants to buy one and ride it. It may just change her mind.

My wife took the course and knew she wanted something that she didn't have to use a clutch with.(the course used 250cc Honda Rebels mostly) Some folks have trouble coordinating the twist of the wrist and the hand clutch lever. So she ended up with a 250cc Honda Reflex which she just rolls the wrist and goes. She hasn't mentioned getting anything bigger yet and I don't think she will as she gets along great on her scooter. It isn't for interstate travel but does just great on 2 lane 60-65mph roads.

I say congrats to your wife.

If Momma ain't happy, no one in the house is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Believe me, as I've been married for 44 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:22 pm

Age is nothing but a number. Like Vern said, let her get through the course and go from there. I have a friend who is 40 that thought she really wanted to ride her own, took the course and ended up realizing she was happier riding on the back. For most of us however, we take the course and think, "Oh my! I can't believe I wasted so much time only getting such a small portion of the thrill of riding!"

I met a woman at my Women in the Wind meeting tonight who is in her early 70s and just started riding a year ago. She's still on a little Rebel, but loving it! She plans to move up whe she's ready. I also have a few "sisters" in my chapter who are in their 60s and most of them started riding within the last few years as well.

Good luck to her!!!
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 4:43 am

That rocks!!

I support her 100%, training every year with an ERC update.
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 6:45 am

Go For it.

My wife turned 40 this year and finally passed her bike test so she can now go out on her own bike ;-))) She is slowly gaining confidence and it is fun going on a trip together - no matter how long or short.

Remember to negotiate the appropriate increase into the bike buying budget -at least double should be good. The same applies to farkles - or hand down your old ones and buy new for your bike. Remember you will now have 2 bikes to keep clean and serviced and taxed and insured and.........

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 7:28 am

If she wants someone as an inspiration, have her read about Ardys Kellerman. Of course she may take it too far, and you will have to keep up with her.

Ardys won the BMWMOA mileage contest last year with over 80,000 miles in 6 months!

http://www.lonestarcycle.com/ardystxn.htm

http://www.lonestarcycle.com/48plus2.htm

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/medi...exanonline.com

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 7:42 am

I’m in a similar situation with my wife. She has expressed her desire to learn to ride for several years now. I have been just a bit reluctant, as she can be “gravitationally challenged” (P.C. term for clumsy, and don’t tell her I said that.) Well I finally decided to give in and I’ve got her signed up for the BRC for her birthday next month. I’m still nervous about it, but she really feels the need, so I’ll support her as best I can.

I have also been looking for a good beginner bike for her. I looked at a Rebel and a Suzuki GZ250 but I didn’t like the “cruiser” foot forward position. I think it makes handling more difficult that a more upright position, like the BMWs have. Does anyone know of a good, small, inexpensive bike that would make a good learner?

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in