Impressions of F800 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Impressions of F800

My local dealer, Touring Sport BMW, held a Spring Open House yesterday with group demo rides. They had a matte silver F800ST and a red F800S in the demo fleet and I got to ride both of them back-to-back. The S had an aftermarket pipe and everyone commented on it.

A customer rode up on a blue F800ST that he had bought a week earlier; that was a really sharp looking bike.

My initial impressions: I liked the size and weight of the 800s, and the belt drive. I'm glad they stayed with "traditional BMW" switch gear; I noticed that one of the new F650s had the non-BMW controls.

The engine had plenty of power; it was not as smooth as a K-bike (what is?) but the vibrations were not annoying.

I must say that I missed the Telelever front end. Not that the front suspension was soft, but it dove under braking. I thought BMW licked that problem long ago. Given the price point of the bike, I can understand that BMW didn't want it to be even more expensive, but this might be enough to make me pass on the F800 if I were in the market for a midsize bike.

If you've tried one, what did you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 8:43 pm

Smile The F800S

I own one with almost 400 break-in miles, and until you live with one for 25-100 miles, you can't know what your missing. I am just under 6' at 170 lbs., and I can go for miles and steer this slightly over 400 lb, low COG bike with only my knees (not to say I don't use my arms, too). And, it turns and stops on a dime. As for buzz, a broken-in engine does NOT have it, and it climbs to 9K RPM (mine with less than 400 miles is still only up to 6K). But, even so, best bike I have ever driven, have driven R's and K's too.
When you drive a broken in, or near broken in one, let me know.
The rear suspension is adjustable, btw, and will make up for non-telever, which all reviews say is not needed, because it adds weight, weight, weight!
The ABS is ABS II right off the K's as is most gear, and brake lines are braided steel, stock.
I don't mean to be offensive, but your initial riding impressions are just that, while mine is three too busy to put on 3K miles, running yet, weeks.
Garaging the thing is sweet too, fuel injection (no gas smell) and fits in a small space. Not that I need one, but the working room is a plus.
BTW, started riding in 1968-70 on Dad's R50/2 for background, and MOA member for over 25 years, now.
Tweety1
Scottsdale, AZ
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 6:34 am Thread Starter

The bikes I demo's were right out of the crate so I wouldn't be surprised to see the engines smooth out. Certainly BMW's other twins are reputed to do that. I didn't mean to dis your ride!

As regards your other thread, I'd like to see an F800 forum on this site, too. If not, maybe someone will set up a "sister" site like kbikes.com.

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 7:26 am
was

Keep the information coming

Please keep us posted as you gather impressions and information about the bike.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 8:54 am

Will do. So far, it is a blast, but I just broke 300 miles and that gets me 6K RPM. After 400, it's 8.5K!
I know it's not all speed, but the handling, braking, and ridability can be judged (some) now. Braking 80 down is fast. Handling-think it-it goes that way.
My first long trip (several hundred miles) comes after i finish a trial from 4/24 into May. I'll know a lot then.

Tweety1
Scottsdale, AZ
R1200S -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MOA 24434, started in '68 on Dad's R50/2. It was mine later.
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 6:06 am

Hello Jordan. Please send an update when you have more time.I am interested in the F800ST for two reasons. Maybe you can help me here. I want a second bike to befriend my 2000 LT. I do a lot of city riding and I love the LT but I really would appreciate a smaller width and 400 less pounds. I'm sure I'll love it, but, I also have a 20 year old daughter just finishing the rider training course and am hoping this will be an available riding option for a beginner. What's your opinion? Is this an acceptable ride for a new rider? I hate to get anything smaller and have her long for more a year down the road.
I hope to be setting up a test ride soon from Chicago BMW,

Wally O
2000 Champagne LT
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 3:53 pm

800 impressions

Wally, I have 4600 miles on my 800S and previously had a R1150R and before that a R1100RT and before that a R1100RS etc. I love the 800 and it has plenty of power and handles great. It does sit a little higher than the R1150R and my wife has a R1100S and she can flatfoot it but can't the 800. So, if your daughter isn't real tall she might not like it. You will just have to ride one and see. I chose the S because it was a thousand dollars less than the ST ($11,800 versus $12,800). I find the riding position just about perfect and did a 1006 mile day just to see if I could. I am 5'10'' and a 170 pounds.
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 7:06 am

F800 Site

If anyone is interested here's a site for the F800 group.

http://f800riders.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=11

Bruce
Rowlett, TX
2010 Gold Wing
'00 Canyon Red - Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 9:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter

If you've tried one, what did you think?

My dealer had a demo F800 that they let me tool around on for about an hour...gotta say, its not much better than a Buell Blast. I was taken aback by how bad it sounded, vibrated and how much wind you get in your face....I was completely disappointed.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 9:24 am

Re: Impressions of F800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
...and how much wind you get in your face....I was completely disappointed.

F
I thought wind in our faces was one of the reasons we rode bikes???

I have an RT, and with the wife on the back I ride with the Z windscreen up because she likes the quiet.. when she's not on the bike the windscreen doesn't move from all the way down.. I LIKE to be in the wind.

2009 R1200RT Silver
2002 R1150RS Silver (SOLD!)
2003 JD 2305 Green and Yellow.
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 10:26 am

Re: The F800S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety1
I own one with almost 400 break-in miles, and until you live with one for 25-100 miles, you can't know what your missing. I am just under 6' at 170 lbs., and I can go for miles and steer this slightly over 400 lb, low COG bike with only my knees (not to say I don't use my arms, too). And, it turns and stops on a dime. As for buzz, a broken-in engine does NOT have it, and it climbs to 9K RPM (mine with less than 400 miles is still only up to 6K). But, even so, best bike I have ever driven, have driven R's and K's too.
When you drive a broken in, or near broken in one, let me know.
The rear suspension is adjustable, btw, and will make up for non-telever, which all reviews say is not needed, because it adds weight, weight, weight!
The ABS is ABS II right off the K's as is most gear, and brake lines are braided steel, stock.
I don't mean to be offensive, but your initial riding impressions are just that, while mine is three too busy to put on 3K miles, running yet, weeks.
Garaging the thing is sweet too, fuel injection (no gas smell) and fits in a small space. Not that I need one, but the working room is a plus.
BTW, started riding in 1968-70 on Dad's R50/2 for background, and MOA member for over 25 years, now.
Tweety1
Scottsdale, AZ

Old thread revived, and I am back. But as long as the thread was revived, I'll update.

The F800S I acquired in March 2007 ran well and strong until late August 2008, when an electrical glitch cause it to shut off if a. rolling into third gear b. after a stop c. after running it two hours or so. Weeks of tests confirmed it, but never diagnosed it, and 30 shop days later it was lemoned out.

I replaced it with the candy cane R1200S my avatar shows.

Tweety1
Scottsdale, AZ
R1200S -
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety1
Old thread revived, and I am back. But as long as the thread was revived, I'll update.

The F800S I acquired in March 2007 ran well and strong until late August 2008, when an electrical glitch cause it to shut off if a. rolling into third gear b. after a stop c. after running it two hours or so. Weeks of tests confirmed it, but never diagnosed it, and 30 shop days later it was lemoned out.

I replaced it with the candy cane R1200S my avatar shows.
Ouch on the 800, but congrats on the S..

Nice S..

2009 R1200RT Silver
2002 R1150RS Silver (SOLD!)
2003 JD 2305 Green and Yellow.
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambob
Ouch on the 800, but congrats on the S..

Nice S..

Thanks. Just too bad, as of 10/08 or 11/08, the F800S and the R1200S were discontinued in the US. 2009 models wre availble in EU, SA, and AU, but for 2010, both are gone worldwide it seems.

Tweety1
Scottsdale, AZ
R1200S -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in