Compare K1200LT with R1200RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 1:55 pm Thread Starter

Compare K1200LT with R1200RT

Hello everyone. I'm a long-time lurker and new member. My Honda GoldWing will be traded for either a K1200lt or an R1200RT this month. My SO approves, the dealer has made good offers for either deal, and I'm a bit confused.

I'd sure welcome your input.

I am not certain which bike to buy. My riding is genreral everyday riding, weekends riding back roads in the upper midwest two-up, and one or two 3,000 to 5,000 mile two-up trips every summer.

I don't pull a trailer. I'm in my 50's, reasonably fit, and have a 30" inseam. The Gold Wing was a bit heavy for me (1,100 lbs wet, packed and two-up) at speeds below 10 mph, but okay above that. It did feel like a pick-up truck, and I prefer the sportier handling of either BMW.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 2:38 pm

ok i think thet the rt is bether for you

i pot into my lt more then 70k , et the same time i poot into the 1200rt abaut 10k, i think thet the rt is bether for evryday ride!! end olso for weekend ride, he is very much isey to ride end to handel if i need to decid i wod by just the rt , good luck enjoy your new bike zeevbmw israel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	&#1500.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	10779   Click image for larger version

Name:	color_r1200rt_01_preview.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	10780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1083.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	10781   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06343-vi.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	10782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reguim_Feb42-vi.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	10783  

Click image for larger version

Name:	072148-vi.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	10784   Click image for larger version

Name:	&#1500.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	10785   Click image for larger version

Name:	07011-vi.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	10786  
post #3 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 2:51 pm

Thumbs up

Recently I was making the same choice. Several things came to mind. The K model engine is a thing of beauty. The RT engine sounds like a tractor. The K model was heavier, felt taller and was not as sporty as the RT on tight twisty roads. They both seem to have the same luggage space (with the added box on the RT) but with an edge to the K. Didn't like the seat on either. BMW has gotten rid of the power brake servo ... Hurrrraaaay.

I took the wife for a test ride on both and got her imput. All told, irrespective of the agricultural farm impliment sounds the RT makes, she liked the RT and I liked the RT. It's smooth as glass on the highway at 80mph. So looking for a machine I could live with for a long time I bought a 07 r1200rt.

But that is just IMHO. Ask 10 owners and you will get 10 different answers all justifing their purchases.

Either model is a WHOLE bunch lighter than a Gold Wing but neither has the number of accessories to add.

post #4 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 3:12 pm

Test Ride Both !!!!!

Be sure what you are going to use the bike for, then go test ride both. The difference in how the bikes respond and feel is like night and day.

Good Luck
post #5 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 3:53 pm

Lt

I have a LT off duty and RT for on duty. I love my LT for the following reason. Love the engine, smooth, no buzz in the handle bars. I like the radio, CB, XM radio and just the comfort for the long haul. My SO loves the comfort too.

RT is great also. I love riding it at work, but I would take the LT over the RT for the above.

Either one you will not go wrong.
post #6 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 3:55 pm

I've heard several LT owners say that their wives were much more comfortable on the LT, so you can guess which bike they chose. There are ways to improve the passenger comfort on the RT if that's a factor.

As others said, ride both bikes and see which one speaks to you. I have an LT, mostly because I like the K engine. It is quieter and smoother than any twin I've ridden and I like the integrated luggage; it always seemed like an add-on with the RT. The current RT, though, closed the comfort gap someone as it offers cruise control, and the side bags are more integrated.

I have an early LT; the current models have a little more power and the altered steering geometry is something of an improvement. I've found that my bike runs better the harder I push it. Above 5000 rpms it wakes up considerably.

Still, the LT is a heavier bike than the RT. I've always throught the RT felt much more nimble. I rode one yesterday at my local dealer's Open House and next to the LT it felt like a scooter. More wind noise at highway speed but with an aftermarket windshield, I think I could get along fine with an RT.

Don't get me started about the K1200GT, which combines the smooth power delivery of an inline four with a riding position and weight that is more similar to the RT than the LT.

If you are trying to decide between the RT and LT, better stay away from the GT!
post #7 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 4:53 pm

Motorman,,,,,

No offense meant, but you suck!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......Pete
post #8 of 16 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 6:30 am

We've just returned for the annual BMW Touren Sport Safari that has been run in Australia each year for the past 11 years or so. 2000 km two up on the 1200 RT with a two hour test ride on an LT towards the end. Until the test ride I was keen to upgrade to an LT but - and this is just my view - the delta between the two was marginal for the riding I/we do.

Born Again Middle aged BIker

K1600GT
C650GT
post #9 of 16 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 7:31 am
was

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, IMHO, you need both. Tell your wife you got one of them for her!

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #10 of 16 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 8:45 am

LT or RT

I agree with Gerry. You've really got to test ride both. I was all set to go with the RT last year (mainly due to all the great write ups). I had already ridden the LT at Ride for Sight the previous summer. I convinced Budd's BMW to let me test ride the RT. After a 2 hr test ride, I decided on the LT. Why? Because I never had the same smile on my face during the RT ride as I had on the LT demo ride.

Ride them both and choose the one that makes you smile the most!

Al2it
post #11 of 16 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Cool you got to hear all the BMW trash talk first

Yeaahhhh! I still say you get such a good deal buying two bikes!! And just to add some oil to the curves!!!!!---Ride a K1200RS--they call them Sport Touring class rides----Sport in that at 130hp you have the world at the twist of the wrist! handles like a sports car --sleek and a wonderful feel --go visit i-bmw.com and read some of the forums there on RS/GT sites -- one thing I have seen is once a guy gets into a BMW he tends to stay on a R or he stays on a K----yeah, there are guys jumping around but what you get started with seems to be what you stay with---I'm on my second K bike --sold an older KLT and still have not gotten rid of the grin a year later!!! I am a lone wolf in the land of V-twins---Narleys all over the place -bike nite at Joe's Crab Shack --sticks out like a sore thumb in 350 HD's--- but what they will never know, my 6th gear roll on is better that any gear they have!--600 mile days are a breeze in comfort--last summer on a group ride to Austin I got tired of all the stopping to relax and blasted off and got to our motel 2&half hours earlier than the mob did---yeah was going faster but my butt wasn't dead and neither was I---not a one was up for much nite life either????

So, if your riding is like mine, townie rides in the week, day rides on the weekends--weekenders when I can ---and out of state rides to rallies, vacation 2-3 times a year----a LT for townie rides??? That, IMHHO, is like riding a Mule at the Track--you can do it but it ain't fun!! Every marque is trying to make a bike for sport and touring and it does take some doing to slice it that thin and win----and , again, in my humble opinion, BMW has been doing the Tour Bike for a long time and since the late 90's they put some real Sport into that Tour Bike ---one more tag to this rag, there are just a ton of good , make that EXCELLENT buys out there on KRS's used with very low miles---bikes that are made to do 100,000 miles before you have to do anything major---so go figure how many miles you ride and see how long it takes you to wear it out!!?? BMW---Best Motorcyles in the World!!!-----yeah! I really really like mine !!! Jim
post #12 of 16 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:05 pm

Mike,

I don't live too far from you. If you'd like, we could meet up and trade bikes for an afternoon ride and you could get a chance to give the LT a good run. Maybe that'd help you decide whether it's for you. Just a thought, let me know if you'd like to give it a try.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #13 of 16 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 4:51 am

I guess my riding is a little different.

I am use to sling an 800 bike around at work, so I guess my LT riding in town is not the average person. I would understand why others think it is like pulling a mule, but to me it is no big deal.
post #14 of 16 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 9:40 am

I have been enamored of the RT for a long time, but when my wife sat on a K1200LT at Bob's BMW, that was the deciding factor. I didn't get the RT then, but I still wanted one so I got a 1983 R100RT for fooling around with, working on, and generally having fun with. Now I have both, the cost wasn't outrageous, and my wife is happy. Just can't ask for better than that.

Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT
post #15 of 16 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 9:41 pm

I ride my LT around town all the time and it's no big deal. I have ridden lots of RT's 1150 and 1200's and would not trade my LT for them. I ride with guys who ride RT's and have no problem keeping up with them. I have lots of bikes to choose from so when I feel like I need to wheelie or make some noise I jump on my KTM950. I have taken the top box off the LT which makes a big difference in the feel of the bike and to me the weight difference isn't enough to off set the vibes and the so called character of the boxer. It is funny that the last long trip I made last year myself and two RT's left Ouray Colorado about 8am and by the time we were in Williams AZ they went looking for rooms and I said good bye and was home in SoCal that night at 11pm with 900 miles under my seat.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #16 of 16 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 2:21 pm
fas

Talking Lt, Rt, Gt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
Hello everyone. I'm a long-time lurker and new member. My Honda GoldWing will be traded for either a K1200lt or an R1200RT this month. My SO approves, the dealer has made good offers for either deal, and I'm a bit confused.

I'd sure welcome your input.

I am not certain which bike to buy. My riding is genreral everyday riding, weekends riding back roads in the upper midwest two-up, and one or two 3,000 to 5,000 mile two-up trips every summer.

I don't pull a trailer. I'm in my 50's, reasonably fit, and have a 30" inseam. The Gold Wing was a bit heavy for me (1,100 lbs wet, packed and two-up) at speeds below 10 mph, but okay above that. It did feel like a pick-up truck, and I prefer the sportier handling of either BMW.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Have you tried the GT yet? Don't want to complicate your spread sheet, but. I loved my LT, but I prefer the GT. SO prefers the GT over the LT. She is only 5'2" and the LT was hard on her little hips. She likes the GT seating position and the ride quality. Good luck with your decision.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in