R6 $ - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 9:57 am Thread Starter

R6 $

while working in a kitchen at a local hospital i started to talk to a young man,seems his is interested in purchasing a new R6 so he can ride with his
friends,but he has two problems.First the going price as he has check with about 6 dealers is from $11,000 to as high as $13300.And the second ,is
how does he tell his mother about his new purchase.I asked where he would park his machine if he bought it.Answer at friend house two doors away.
Riding experience was small dirt bike in his home country.Looks like dealers
are going to make a lot of money on this younger generation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 10:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer259
First the going price as he has check with about 6 dealers is from $11,000 to as high as $13300.
That'll buy a guy an associates degree or some decent vocational training or even an LT.

Damned kids nowadays got their priorities all bass-ackwards.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:30 pm

I don't have a problem with a young boy wanting to buy an R6. That's a GREAT machine, and a very nice starter bike for a kid. I do have a problem with doing it behind his mother's back. That is entirely wrong on every level. Glad I'm raising my kids differently than this. Furthermore, 11K-13.3K for an R6??!? The kid's not only a sneak, bit he's a MORON if he pays that much for a new R6. That bike sells for under $10K out the door.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:37 pm
Old Dawg

We priced one yesterday here in Los Angeles for $9600 out the door without any haggeling.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 1:50 pm

This would be a good place to give a helping hand. An introduce him to the BMWMOA. You would make a big difference in this life, showing him how not to be taken and set him straight in life.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 4:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

no kidding...

A good used 2000-2003 RT would be in the $6K range and would run for years.

Ask your young friend if he's talked to his insurance agent yet. Lady I know has a son who just bought a R6 WITHOUT A MOTORCYCLE LICENSE (shame on that dealership!!!), only to find out that it's going to cost, get this, just a nickle shy of $3,700 a YEAR in insurance for the 19-year old.

Before you pass on ANY advice on motorcycles, start with this..."Have you gone through basic motorcycle safety class? HERE'S where you sign up..."

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 6:10 am

Smile

Don't knock the dealership. You can buy a car without a license so why the double standard? An R6 is NOT a good starter bike, due to the power, but the aftermarket parts is great. A lower hp bike like a beemer would be good but the repair costs will kill him.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 6:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'll knock the dealership...

This dealership, a Kawi dealership in a Texas town near Dallas that rhymes with Mlano, told the kid all he had to have is liability insurance (do YOU know any auto dealerships that will let you take a car off the lot without a drivers license?).

my two cents, and since I love this free speech forum, feel free to tell me to stuff 'em

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 7:14 am

Smile

Every dealership will sell you a car without a license and insurance if it's paid for. All but one state reguires liability insurance or bond for a street legal machine. The loan company usaully requires full coverage on the automobile that is not paid for. That's the trick, you pay for a machine on plastic and it allows you to skip full coverage. But to answer your question, there is NO law stating that you have a license to buy a machine of any type, just to operate it on raodways. What if he was using it as a track machine? I really don't care, you just don't have enough info.
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 8:58 am

Does he have any previous riding experience? Doesn't sound like much. If not he has THREE problems. Why an R6? That's the FAST yammie, right? Why not a 500 Ninja or similar to START on? Less than $3k for a used one, that will probably get drooped or crashed. If his friends won't accept him beacuse of his bike, he really needs new riding friends.

This sounds like he won;t have to worry about his mom. She'll find out when the highway patrol comes calling or knocking because he's dead or maimed by too much bike for a newbie rider.

tell the guy to WALK before he runs. I see lots of folks like this in motorcycle classes. They HAVE to have what the friends/neighbors/co-workers have and have NO experience to start with, so they get on class bikes and are terrified. then have a terrible time learning to ride. I could go on forever about this situation.

If he's serious about riding, he'll realize he needs to SLOW down and do it right.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in