So I take a little ride this morning - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2007, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

So I take a little ride this morning

The weather forecast said sunny all day today. So it was only 41...I have Gerbings. I take a look at the map and decide on a little morning run around Lake St. Clare. I head south to the Detroit/Windsor border and cross with no problem.

Some nice back roads in Ontario and I'm in Sarnia before I know it. Where did the ride go? Now here I sit on the Canada side of the border waiting my turn to get back into Michigan. As I stop at the border patrol check station, the guard asks me what the wires are that are connecting me to my LT. His exact words were, "What are all those wires? You're not carrying a bomb, are you?" Uhhhhh, No sir, I'm not.

I explained that I was wearing a heated jacket liner and gloves, and that he was seeing the dual control unit clipped onto my tank bag with the other end plugged into the accessory socket.

Am I carrying a bomb? What would have happened if I would have been a smart a$$ like the guard was? "Yeah...it's a HUGE bomb...I'm gonna detonate it in the middle of the bridge!" I'll tell ya...I'd would have had an automatic weapon drawn on me in a heart beat and would have been pulled over the bike stripped and I would have had a body cavity search.

Ok...Rant off....Just smile and let it go. It was a nice ride afterall.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

"Discretion is the better part of valor."

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 6:57 am

Little Ride, big temper

So tell me again why you got angry for this person doing his job? Save it for the big stuff. Geez.

Ultra LT

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 7:34 am

There always seems to be at least ONE person that had a bad day and did not want to come to work.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 8:08 am
was

Wink Uh Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
Am I carrying a bomb? ... "Yeah...it's a HUGE bomb...I'm gonna detonate it in the middle of the bridge!" I'll tell ya...I'd would have had an automatic weapon drawn on me in a heart beat and would have been pulled over the bike stripped and I would have had a body cavity search.
Congrats on holding your tongue in the situation - I would have been extremely tempted to utter the wisecrack. However, now that you have written the above and it has been picked up by an auto scan of email traffic, your next border crossing may be a wee bit less jocular when the border control computers show that you have a file with the CIA, NSA, FBI, State Dept., RCMP, Mossad, and Interpol. Just kidding (I hope).

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 8:39 am

Isn't it really sad that nowadays we can't even make a wisecrack and have everyone laugh at it? I know you could never have joked with any government official about anything, least of all an immigration officer, but my tongue is in pain from having been bitten so much. We have lost so much for so many ridiculous reasons... It makes me want to scream sometimes for the things our children and grandchildren will never know (fortunately, in some instances!).
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 9:53 am

I don't see why you think the border guard was being a smart #%#@##. I think the guy was just doing his job. You have to admit that if you aren't familiar with motorbike accessoriies, that a guy pulling up to the border on a wierd looking foreign made bike with wires hanging out all over who said he wanted to go into Canada to joyride on the backroads for a few hours does sound a tad suspicious.
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:28 am

So you're gonna gripe about some guy doing his job. What if he didn't ask and passed someone through with a REAL bomb? Maybe you need to rethink your rant. "Hats off" to the guy doing his job like he's supposed to, I'd like to shake his hand.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Quote:
The weather forecast said sunny all day today. So it was only 41...I have Gerbings. I take a look at the map and decide on a little morning run around Lake St. Clare. I head south to the Detroit/Windsor border and cross with no problem.

Some nice back roads in Ontario and I'm in Sarnia before I know it. Where did the ride go? Now here I sit on the Canada side of the border waiting my turn to get back into Michigan. As I stop at the border patrol check station, the guard asks me what the wires are that are connecting me to my LT. His exact words were, "What are all those wires? You're not carrying a bomb, are you?" Uhhhhh, No sir, I'm not.

I explained that I was wearing a heated jacket liner and gloves, and that he was seeing the dual control unit clipped onto my tank bag with the other end plugged into the accessory socket.

Am I carrying a bomb? What would have happened if I would have been a smart a$$ like the guard was? "Yeah...it's a HUGE bomb...I'm gonna detonate it in the middle of the bridge!" I'll tell ya...I'd would have had an automatic weapon drawn on me in a heart beat and would have been pulled over the bike stripped and I would have had a body cavity search.

Ok...Rant off....Just smile and let it go. It was a nice ride afterall.

I'm sorry....I just gotta disagree with a few of the remarks made by others here......I didn't think for 1 instant that you were angry, or ranting, about what had happened to you at the border. (Just goes to show you how such things get interpreted so differently, huh?) I am a bit surprised at the guards use of the word "bomb" however......somehow strikes me as a tad unprofessional.
You done good..........

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #10 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 2:22 pm

I think I would have at least laughed out loud, then explained the wires. As tempting as a wise crack is in this situation, you did the right thing by not doing it.
post #11 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

Uhhh...What?

First off, to everyone who thought that by using the word “rant” that I was pissed off, you are incorrect. I actually thought it was funny.

Second, I do not think the guard was “just doing his job.” I think he WAS being a smart a$$. What I neglected to say in my initial post was that the smile on his face and the jocularity in his voice screamed “SMART A$$.” If he really actually thought I was carrying a bomb, I would like to believe that he wouldn’t have just asked me about it, but would have taken some kind of action…at least look in my topcase and panniers (which he didn’t.)

I was not complaining about the border guard’s attitude. I wish all public officials had a sense of humor. What I am complaining about is hypocrisy. Had I made that kind of joke, at a minimum, I would have been detained for awhile at the border, and at worst, I could have faced some kind of charge. But complaining never did any good anyway. Which is why I posted this so everyone could get a little laugh at my expense.

I think some of YOU guys need to lighten up.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 27th, 2007, 3:28 pm

Quote:
First off, to everyone who thought that by using the word “rant” that I was pissed off, you are incorrect. I actually thought it was funny.

Second, I do not think the guard was “just doing his job.” I think he WAS being a smart a$$. What I neglected to say in my initial post was that the smile on his face and the jocularity in his voice screamed “SMART A$$.” If he really actually thought I was carrying a bomb, I would like to believe that he wouldn’t have just asked me about it, but would have taken some kind of action…at least look in my topcase and panniers (which he didn’t.)

I was not complaining about the border guard’s attitude. I wish all public officials had a sense of humor. What I am complaining about is hypocrisy. Had I made that kind of joke, at a minimum, I would have been detained for awhile at the border, and at worst, I could have faced some kind of charge. But complaining never did any good anyway. Which is why I posted this so everyone could get a little laugh at my expense.

I think some of YOU guys need to lighten up.

I agree, a few of YOU guys (and the border guards) do need to lighten up. I have crossed the border several times and the demeanor of the guard is always the same......Barney Fife, Roscoe P. Coltrane, and Dirty Harry all rolled into one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in