Roadside assistance plan - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Roadside assistance plan

When I purchased my 2005 LT, it came with the BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance Plan. I don't remember it being an optional item, and I'm sure I paid dearly for it. However, that aside, I'm fairly glad I had it Thursday a week ago. My shift linkage broke. Not sure what or where, but I had it towed to the nearest dealer, Northern Colorado BMW/Ducati in Loveland, CO. Nice people for the most part, but they really gouge with their prices for labor, repair, spare parts, etc. That's just my 2 cents and is beside the point. The real point is this. My roadside assistance plan says I have to have it towed (they pay up to $500 per tow) to the "nearest BMW dealer".

I had already decided several months ago to quit using them for ANY service at all, but since I was stranded away from home, bad weather imminent, no tools and no jacks or anything else to allow me to do my own repair and no other way to get it home, I opted for the roadside assistance. Bad decision. The bike was towed on Friday, got there mid-day (45 miles away and even though I scheduled it the night before, still took from 7AM when I called, until 10AM for the tow truck to show up.). I talked to the BMW Service Mgr (Mike) on Thursday and told him it would be there on Friday. He said there were some bikes ahead of me already and that he wouldn't be able to get to it before Saturday. Of course, they didn't touch it on Saturday. When I talked to him late Saturday, he said it would be first thing Tuesday. They're closed on Monday. Since I was scheduled to be out of town on Wednesday, leaving Tuesday night, I told him I wouldn't be able to pick it up before Thursday. I'll be highly surprised IF it is ready on Thursday. But back to the point.

Has anyone else used this service to have their bike towed to anyone else besides a BMW dealer?

I really wanted to have it towed to Beemers & More in Ft Collins. I'd probably have it back by now.

As a really incredible statement the Service Mgr made to me when I told him my LT wasn't shifting, he said (and I'm not making this up), "I've not heard of this happening on the LT." That statement alone convinces me that I'll never use them again after this is over, assuming it does get repaired some time in the future.

Triker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 7:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It's the third wheel, Triker... gets 'em every time.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 7 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 9:00 pm

The roadside assistance plan being The BMW provided one, I doubt anyone has gotten them to approve a towing charge to a non-BMW authorized shop or franchise. You can purchase independent roadside assistance programs that will go elsewhere, but that has more out-of-pocket expense associated with it.

And I agree that the dealership was pretty lackluster in meeting your needs, especially since it had to be towed in for repair.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Unhelpful Dealer

Well, here it is Monday again, (BMW Dealer closed today) and still no bike fixed. Guess what? This part that broke on my shifter is so unique that it had to be ordered. "It'll be here in about 5 days." OK, that means that in business days terms, it should be in their shop by tomorrow, Tuesday. Hopefully they'll jump right on it and I'll get a call Tuesday afternoon saying it's ready to go.

Right. And lollipops grow on trees.

I hope to have it back by next week-end, if I'm lucky.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 1:28 pm

Hey, Triker -
Sorry to hear of your probs with service. Can be a real pain. On BMW Roadside, I can report excellent service. For us, another tow beat them to us (turns out they were called by an LEO). Roadside fully and courtiously (SP?) reimbursed us. Result, I renewed/extended, and look forward to re-establishing the relationship.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 2:25 pm

The one time I used them I found their customer service severely lacking. They were so unhelpful on the phone, to the point of arrogance. I am not accustomed to receiving such poor service. I did not care one little bit when the term expired and I never considered renewing.

As to the shift linkage failing on the road, this is a relatively easy repair if you have the tool kit and a few spare parts with you. I understand that BMW no longer provides the tool kit on the LT. That's a shame, I have found mine very useful on many occasions.

There are plenty of threads discussing the shift linkage procedure, I won't bother to repeat it here. Of course you won't need it now that yours has broken down and already inconvenienced you. It's when you're prepared that it doesn't fail.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

BMW Service - Towing, etc

OK, so the part that had to be ordered to repair the shift linkage on my LT arrived and the bike was repaired. Took .73 hours to repair. To be fair, they did do it as a warranty repair, and didn't charge for the parts. So, I was only without my bike for 8 days. If this had happened on the road, I'd have been really, really, really ticked.
Since I was close to home, it hasn't really inconvenienced me that much, but was really frustrating.

As to BMWs other charges, WOOF! I'm embarrassed to say what they charged me for the 12K checkup. $10.00 each for spark plugs, $40 for shop supplies including disposing of the old oils ($6).

But, I went to pick up the bike and they threw in a wash job if I had time to wait for it. I did. (After having it 7 days prior, it wasn't washed yet? They said the washer had been frozen up, but the weather since it was towed has all been sunny.

Luckily, I had taken my tank bag before having it towed and when I went to reattach it, I had to lift the seat to dig out the strap that had gotten pulled back under it. As I lifted the seat, the back rest came off in my hands. The two screws that hold it in were completely missing. The serviceman had to go get two new screws to hold it in and assemble it for me.

Unfortunately, on the way home I noticed that my right Muth mirror chevron wasn't lighting up when I hit the right turn signal. Turn signals were working, just not the mirror chevron. I was halfway home and the dealer would have been closed by the time I returned, so I decided to take a look for myself. Minor problem. The Muth mirror has its electrical lead attached to the front turn signal light. It provides a special wire connector that replaces the one there from the BMW wiring and the BMW wiring then mounts to the new lug. The Muth black wire had broken right at the lug, so I had to cut the remaining broken lug from the black wire, tin it and then solder it to the same connector. Everything now works.

As a side note, I'll be more suspect in the future when I miss second, or any other gear when shifting. I realized that the linkage had been acting up before it broke and I could have prevented the whole thing. Lesson learned.

For any future breakdowns in this area, I'll have it towed to the dealer, and have any warranty repair performed. But, no more routine service. Beemers & More in Ft. Collins will be my service facility of choice. BMW dealers just want too much profit. Reasonable is OK, but gouging is what they do. That's not ok.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in