Not looking right in front of you - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Not looking right in front of you

Hi all,

My first post after I got my new (for me) 2003 K1200 LTC. what a thrill to ride this awesome bike.

Now my question: I read and was taught everywhere that when cornering (in particular ) one should look ahead into the curve as far as possible. I try to do this and it does make for a smooth nice corner but, I always feel the need to quickly glance right in front of my bike just to make sure there isn'r something on the road ( gravel, sand, cracks, debris) that could get me in trouble.

How do you all deal with this issue? It seems not right that you shoudl only use peripheral vision for something as important as nasty stuff on the road.

Thanks for your insights,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 1:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ditto what Dave said. The problem is that if you look at it you will hit it on a bike. I usually do a quick scan of the curve surface ahead then pick my exit point and, chin up, look there. Works very well. Same advice goes for the straight road and an object in the road. Spot it then look at the escape path not the object. Enjoy the LT.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 2:38 pm

Welcome John

Yes I agree with all the posts about cornering. I bought a used 03 LT last April and I really enjoy the bike. Tad heavy but you get used to it quickly. Be careful stopping. you want to maintain a straight line and do not be tempted to turn your forks at all or down you go. Keep the chin up too. I learned a lot from the wisdom at this site. Enjoy your LT!

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 3:09 pm

Peripheral vision is really a great thang to practice, especially here in the heart of horned rat incorporated.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 7:00 pm

John:The first for looking. Keith Code's book A Twist of The Wrist II chapter 21 use is what he calls Wide Screen Vision. This is where you look straight a head and let your mind see the whole picture with out moving your eyes. As far as looking in a curve, I find it hard to look where the exit for the curve is for its going too far down the road for me. Going into the curve I decide how much lean I should have and I look at that distance down the road, and that spot moves down the road till the curve is done. As you go along you can make small corrections to your lean. Doing it this way I find that I can react much faster to any change in the road.

DON
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 9:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You might find it useful to practice stopping with ABS.

My feeling is that if I can't notice sand or gravel while looking ahead through a corner, I'm going too fast.

When I encounter sand a gravel, I'm usually going slow enough to have the bike upright, and don't have to worry about small stones--the LT is pretty big and heavy.

Anything that is big enough to have to avoid should be large enough to easily see, and easily see where you will be, or want to be, when you ride past it.

So far, hidden pit falls have been having to stop in a dip in the road, with both tires straddling the dip, and having to stop on sloping tarmac in shadows where I don't immediately notice the slope.

Bob
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 8:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice.

I took the MSF beginner course last year and I am signing up for the 'experienced' one as soon as there is a slot available. I guess practice is what's needed here. I am also reading the Hough book on proficient motorcycling: it makes a lot of the points you are all making.

Chin up!

John
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 8:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Eyes up and OUT... I "scan" the road along my intended path of travel ... USUALLY..

1- from a "big picture" view,
2- pick an "entry" and "exit" point
3- adjust "entry" speed and "position"
4- NOW, IF SAFE... trace the line with your eyes.. should take less than 1/10th of a second from the "entry" point, through the curve to the "exit".
5- keep eyes "OUT THERE".....

The "trick" is to "feel" where your tires are contacting the roadway and how that "translates" to your "situational awareness"....

Riding is much like flying in that you MUST "stay ahead of the machine"... you must be riding for the "now" THROUGH the next 30 seconds or more....

With practice, this will become second nature...

The "exceptions" are "blind curves", blind cagers, or restricted line-of-sight. Those you can only ride as far as you can "plan"...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in