WTF; Autobahn speed limit! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:47 am Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

WTF; Autobahn speed limit!

The EU "environmental" czar wants to cap the maximum speed on the entire Autobahn to be in line with other countries in order to be more environmentally friendly

Kind of reminds me of Jimmy Carter and the National "Energy" speed maximum of 55 mph

Fortunately, our German friends are saying, "Kein verdammter Weg!"

ARTICLE

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:27 pm

The next logical step to this is a speed limit for F1 and Moto GP, say 90 mph, isn't that fast enough for a race...
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Autobahn Speed Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan
The next logical step to this is a speed limit for F1 and Moto GP, say 90 mph, isn't that fast enough for a race...
I used to be in The Air Force, we used to land in Lahr Germany quite often. The autobahn was parellel the runway we used to land on. Our approach speed ws 130 Knots. Quite often I would look down just prior to landing and would see that everything on the autobahn was going faster than we were.

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 4:48 pm

This isn't the first time that some group has tried to restrict speed limits on the autobahn. It hasn't worked so far.
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha

Kind of reminds me of Jimmy Carter and the National "Energy" speed maximum of 55 mph

Actually I think it started in the Nixon/Ford administration, ca.1973, I was a freshman in college and my friends who were driving home for Christmas break were venting about how much longer it would take them.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 5:34 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulfred
Actually I think it started in the Nixon/Ford administration, ca.1973, ...
Howdy Fred,
I stand corrected....written the end of '73 and signed into law January of '74. Thanks.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #7 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 9:46 pm

The autobahn has had speed limits for a long time. The entire length of it is not unrestricted, areas around or going into or out of cities have limits. Also, there are sections that have limits when the road is wet. Of course, many people ignore these limits anyway. When I lived in Munich we used to have at least one pretty serious multi-car pileup each year. There is an area around Munich that gets a lot of fog and that's usually where the pileup's would occur. During inclement weather we were supposed to slow down but people would not.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
The autobahn has had speed limits for a long time. The entire length of it is not unrestricted, areas around or going into or out of cities have limits.
Correct. In addition, certain sections of the autobahn have restrictions based on weekend/weekday travel or time of day.

One day I was on the autobahn south of Munich bemoaning the fact that could only ride at 120 kph (74 mph). I noticed that the signs were a bit odd but I couldn't understand what they were saying. (Something about 120 kph Montag - Freitag) And then I realized that it was Saturday! There was no speed limit on Saturday or Sunday. I opened the bike up to 225 kph (139 mph).
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 8:02 am

When I was on the autobahn I didn't see anyone doing more than about 100 mph. It was a little rainy-maybe that held them back some.
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFLT
When I was on the autobahn I didn't see anyone doing more than about 100 mph. It was a little rainy-maybe that held them back some.
My wife and I rented a BMW in Germany a few years back, and spent a couple weeks driving around Germany and Switzerland. At one point we were doing the normal 100-110 MPH, being constantly passed by big BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis. To my surprise I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a rather unexpected sight. Told my wife, "look at this!", as a VW mini-bus flew by! It was not one they import to the states though, so not the "box" we normally think about here in the US. Don't know what it had for power, but it certainly was not the underpowered slug we have here. Maybe a hopped up one?

And yes, there were many sections of the Autobahn that had speed limits.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 8:51 am

Every year I travel to Germany to spend three weeks riding with an American friend that lives there. We try to stay off the autobahn as much as possible. Too many nice side/back roads to travel. However, if we need to get somewhere in a hurry, we hit the autobahn. As stated, many sections already have a speed limit. On the sections that don't, you rarely see someone really flying. Most travel about 80 - 90 or about what most people around here do on I-95. Occasionally you will see a big Merc, BMW or exotic really hauling but that is the exception rather than the rule. Reason? Well as the old saying goes "speed costs, how fast do you want to go?" At $6 -7 per gallon, going fast gets kinda pricey.

Last year we had been down in Tuscany and were busting butt to get back home. We pulled out of a service plaza at the beginning of the Brenner pass on the autobahn just behind two Ferraris that quickly disappeared. Funny though, those same two cars must have passed us at least two times before we stopped seeing them.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFLT
One day I was driving a BMW 316 (1980 something and not imported to the USA) on the autobahn outside of Kaiserslautern. I was in the "fast lane" passing and had the car running flat out at 100 mph. A big Mercedes blinked to pass me. I moved over and he blew past me. But right behind him was a BMW R1100RT . . . with passenger. The BMW blew past the Mercedes!

I don't think that the Germans will want to give that up.

But one more thing to consider -

In October my wife and I were driving in what used to be East Germany. The cars there were not going nearly as fast as I had experienced in old "West Germany" and I didn't see very many motorcycles.
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:35 am

The country with the best beer and the highest speed limits........wait, what did I just say???

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in