Cutting down windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 7:30 am Thread Starter

Question Cutting down windshield

I have a CB windscreen (don't know the size but it has wings) that is a bit tall for me. It does have the flip towards the top and I am wanting to cut it down at the bottom to avoid cutting that "flip".

I have cut a screen before using a jigsaw and it left a small crack in a spot where I had cut along and it definitely wasn't as smooth as before the cutting.

Is their a better way to cut a screen, such as using an electric planer? Also, if cutting from the bottom, I will need to re-drill the mounting holes. I have read that one should not drill all the way through when piloting the new holes. If you don't drill all the way through, how do you mount the shield? Is their an art to the drilling of these holes?

Thanks for any advice,

James

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 7:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

James, the curve of the shield does change ... so be careful what you remove... a belt sander works fine... just tape the line and cut to the edge of the tape... a little at a time.

Some folks use a jigsaw.. or take it to your local "glass shop".. they have lots of practice.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 9:14 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That screen is acrylic and if it is old it could shatter if you cut it. Best to use a jig saw on "slow" speed if you have access to one. Even better is stop by your local plastic sign shop as they are very skilled at cutting acrylic and you may find they will do it and it will look factory after the cut.

I have found them to be very reasonable on other projects I have had them do.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 9:22 am

I cut mine with a hack saw with a fine blade (tape along line as mentioned). If you use a jig saw do so with a FINE blade at slow speed as mentioned. I had no problems and finished edge with 400 grit paper. Looks good. Taking to sign shop that works with acrylic would be your easiest and safeest bet. Probably not very expensive. There should be no problem drilling through the acrylic. If you are worried, try it on the piece you cut off.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:06 am

I cut my spare one on a band saw and used a belt sander to clean up the cut. I then used a propane torch very carefully on the edge to "polish" the edge. Came out really nice. Got this technique from a friend who's 89, still rides bikes and has been doing it for years.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Smile Windshield

Thanks gentlemen for the ideas. Looks like I need to decide whether to take it somewhere or do it myself. Taking it to have it done seems pretty appealing given the price is right!

Thanks again,

James

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 1:41 pm

Use A Band Saw...

Use a band saw with a fine tooth blade...works MUCH better than the up-down motion of a jig saw.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Cool Cutting down windshield

You know what, this could help me justify adding another tool to the workshop. I don't have a bandsaw and could see where it could come in quite handy.

Hmmm, this has got me thinking about a run to Sears

Whhhooooo--aaaa

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 6:55 pm
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer100
Also, if cutting from the bottom, I will need to re-drill the mounting holes. I have read that one should not drill all the way through when piloting the new holes. If you don't drill all the way through, how do you mount the shield? Is their an art to the drilling of these holes?

Thanks for any advice,

James
Hey James. What the person meant with regard to drilling the holes probably was that you don't want to drill all the way through from one side. Wrap a piece of tape around the drill bit as a depth marker for about 1/2 way through the sheild. Drill to that depth from one side, then line up the bit and drill from the other side. No chance of causing "break out" of the acrylic surface when you do it this way. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #10 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 1:20 pm

Smile Cutting down windshield

I use a belt sander... I ground off little over a 1 inch... took about 10 or so minutes... Cee Bailey said to use band saw...didn't have band saw... belt sander work as good or better, rounding corners off a little and you are done..

Bridwell Terhune #102726
Kentucky
[email protected]
2002 K1200LTC
post #11 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 1:30 pm

I cut my HD windshield so I could fit a necelle along the bottom. It has a curve, so feeding it through a saw could be tricky. Instead, I taped it up with masking tape and marked where I wanted to cut. Then I used a dremmel tool with a cutting blade and went very slowly. Finished it off with a little sanding attachment on the dremmel. It looks like it was done at the factory.
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Cutting down windshield- problem solved

Thanks for everyone's input. I have solved my problem and didn't even have to start a blade moving. I was trying to solve a seating problem and raised the seat height adjuster to the high position.

Walaaa! I now can see far enough above the CB that I will not need to cut it down. I was concerned since I am vertically challenged (5'8"), but I can barely notice any difference in my footing since it changed the angle that my legs point towards the ground. I am enjoying the taller seating position. It has allowed me to sit more on the thicker cushioned part of the seat, as compared to being more on the thinner, more forward seat portion which will wear your @$$ out in a hurry.

Regards,

James Hart

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in