Where in the lane do you usually ride and why? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Cool Where in the lane do you usually ride and why?

Where in the lane do you usually ride and why?

I find myself just a little left of center most of the time mainly for visibility by on coming traffic. If there is a barrier between lanes, I tend to move left of center to give me more maneuver space. Always travel in carpool lane when available, towards the right edge to protect my lane and give me room to move left if I need to. When traveling with a group, I tend to like the right side of the roadway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I tend to prefer the left third of the lane when cruising straight and narrow. On curves, outside-inside-outside path is what I try to take.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
It depends on many factors. Left tire track is the preferred spot, but I will adjust frequently depending on road hazards, oncoming traffic, driveways, pedestrians, and curves. There is no right answer, just try and put yourself furthest away from the biggest dangers at any given time.

That doesn't mean swerving every 5 feet like a drunken sailor, it's just reading the road ahead and maximizing your safety cushion.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 31 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:51 pm

Left tire track most of the time: best space cushion to combat sudden driveway/intersection surprises.

Big truck coming: Right Tire track.

Guess my best answer is: Just depends.

Bruce

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #5 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:18 am

All depends.

On two lane roads, to the right of the center of my lane. Oncoming traffic thinking about passing can see me if they start to pull out. We have had couples killed in Idaho that were to the left of center hugging the center line. Cars pull out to pass and meet a motorcycle moving at 50+ mph.

On the freeway:

Traffic on my right, on move to left of center. If they opt to change lanes and dont see me, I have more reaction time.

Traffic on my left, to the right of center being ever wary of merging traffic.

Preferred lane is the outside lane next to the barricade, left of center. I try to avoid center lanes if I can. I just leave the maximum cushion available with the traffic around me.

Twisties...from outside corner to right of center of lane. Leaves plenty of room for leaning, keeps my head out of oncoming traffic lanes.

HOV lanes can be tricky. You are moving along at 60+ mph and someone in the lane to the right pulls out from a dead stop. Constantly watching front tire angles to be sure they are staying in their lane and not ready to launch out in front of me. The HOV lanes in the Bellevue area have no emergency lane. If someone pulls out from the stopped traffic lanes, they are going to put you into and over the jersey barriers. Oncoming traffic have no emergency lanes, so you will immediatley become a cordura speed bump.

Lane positioning and observation will have me moving frequently to maximize that safety bubble.
post #6 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:21 am

Lane Position...

As long as you keep your eyes up (a good visual horizon) and am thinking about "What if" , common sense will keep you in the right position. Watch where you put your foot down at stop lights / stop signs. The middle of the lane will always be dirty (oil drippings, vehicle debris).
post #7 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:21 am

The spot at the moment that :

a- Provides me a way out.
b- Makes me as visible as possible to other drivers.
c- Aids my visibility
d- Is most comfortable for maneuvering.

I do seem to spend most of my time in the left tire tack.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #8 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 1:00 am

Lane Position

I like all of the above as it depends on the traffic, road and weather conditions. Also if I am coming to a stop at an intersection what ever lane I am in (of a multi lane intersection) I like the left wheel track of the lane as the road is cowned and oil and Anti-freeze tend to run off to the right side of the road. So less of a chance to get that nasty stuff on my tire and cause a very slick spot on the tire. Also less of a chance of putting my left foot down into that same stuff and causing my foot to slide and down goes the bike. Of course if you live in the other 1/4 of the driving world the opposite applies from what I have described above.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #9 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 2:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sounds good.

NEVER in the suicide lane.

Dumbest thing I have ever seen was having those straddling the University of Arizona in Tucson.

Bob
post #10 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 6:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
Where in the lane do you usually ride and why?
In the left tire track. It keeps you out of the grease strip at the middle, keeps you in front of the driver of the vehicle behind you, helps prevent that same idiot from sharing your lane while tryin' to pass you, & gives time/maneuvering room for surprises from both sides.

Of course common sense dictates changes as necessary............

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #11 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 6:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Sounds good.

NEVER in the suicide lane.

Dumbest thing I have ever seen was having those straddling the University of Arizona in Tucson.

Bob
What are you referring to as the "suicide lane?"

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #12 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 9:05 am

Great question

You know questions like this are very good. You ride_ride-ride, and after many years you build a catalog of situations in your head. You don't realize how indepth until you sit to write it down.

On a straight I'm very much in center of the road, very close to the stripe on a double yellow. Gives me a better view of critter and cage zombies entering the road.
From that spot I will move hard to the right as traffic comes up on me (people don't tend to daydream in heavy traffic but when no one is in front of them, they can)that does 2 things gets me a cushion between them and I, also the sudden movement will jerk them back to attention
When approaching a curve, I take the line that gives me the longest line of sight (which also gives you the most room for emergency maneuvers).
All of this will vary with my personal knowledge of the road, i.e. if it is a road I ride everyday, right hand bend, I may take the racers apex knowing that there are no intersecting places for traffic to enter. On a road I don't know I would have entered the turn later, thus giving me a better view and more room to work if need be.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #13 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 9:18 am

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
That doesn't mean swerving every 5 feet like a drunken sailor, it's just reading the road ahead and maximizing your safety cushion.
Why cant it be a drunken IT guy....?

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)
post #14 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 9:41 am

Lane position is in my opinion one of the most important things a motorcycle rider needs to be aware off.

I will never, ever ride in the right hand side of the right lane, that's were all of the debri collects and in the city a narrow profile like a motorcycle is almost invisible with all of the signs, light poles and trees between the sidewalks and the curb.

Living in the land of tourists most of the year, my lane position changes with the terrain, you have to understand that all of the "rules of the road" have been rewritten by the tourist, the left lane in Florida is frequently the slow lane, turning left from the right or center lane is not at all uncommon, I see it everyday just like stopping for a green light to decide which way to go

If you get mad about it, you're going to have a bad day everyday,
I've learned to laugh at it and always expect the unexpected.

Getting back to lane position, I prefer the right side of the left lane or the left side of the center or right lane but that changes with the sizes and position of the vehicles around me I'll "move over" when I get near anything I can't see over around or through like vans and SUV's, all the time making sure I'm not in anybody's blindspot even though for some of these drivers than can be anywhere beyond six feet in front of them.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:10 am

I mostly rode in the tire tracks of the vehicle in front of me, for two reasons. Keeps you off the oily center of the lane, and if there is something on the road the driver ahead will likely try to miss it with his tires, giving you warning. If you are not in the tire tracks he may just ride over the debris and you get a nasty surprise.

On two lane roads I mostly used the left tire track, on freeways it depended on which lane I was in which side I would use. Would use the side that gave me the best view ahead through the vehicles.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #16 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Left of center if by myself or the opposite (staggered) of who ever is in front of me. Left or Right of center is of no major issue with me when riding in a group.
post #17 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:41 am

One thing I will add. If I'm riding in traffic, I will use both sides of the lane in an effort to make myself more visible. I've had cars crowd into my space thinking that motorcycle doesn't need the whole lane. Not a pleasant feeling. I guess the most important thing is anticipating what could happen in any situation.
post #18 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:10 pm
tjc

Back when I got my first motorcycle license, I was taught to stay in the mirrors of traffic ahead. Of course that's way too simplistic for all of the reasons already voiced above. I do still have a habit, when there's not other more important factors, of at least attempting to see the drivers eyes in his mirror. Doesn't mean (s)he's even aware I'm there, but there's a chance...

Tim Couchman
Aromas, CA
Silver 2003 K1200 LTC

post #19 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 2:24 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
What are you referring to as the "suicide lane?"
It's usually a center lane(s), which "reverses" direction depending on traffic flow and time of day. For example, a 3-lane road, in the morning hours, the center lanes would be towards the city for rush hour (making 2 lanes inbound and 1 lane outbound), and in the afternoon, it would be reversed - the center lane would be outbound (2 lanes outbound & 1 lane inbound).

Hence the term "suicide", for someone will ultimately get this wrong!

When I lived in Virgina in 1977 Wilson Blvd going into DC had a suicide lane.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #20 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 3:31 pm
egs

It all depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
It depends on many factors. Left tire track is the preferred spot, but I will adjust frequently depending on road hazards, oncoming traffic, driveways, pedestrians, and curves. There is no right answer, just try and put yourself furthest away from the biggest dangers at any given time.

Have to agree with you Ken. I tend to stay in the left tire groove but ferequently move out for various reasons. Probably better to say I avoid the center of any given lane due to vehicle goop and debris.

Eric
post #21 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 4:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Lane position is in my opinion one of the most important things a motorcycle rider needs to be aware off.

I will never, ever ride in the right hand side of the right lane, that's were all of the debri collects and in the city a narrow profile like a motorcycle is almost invisible with all of the signs, light poles and trees between the sidewalks and the curb.
Can't agree with you more about the situational awareness and lane positioning. But the right hand track of the right hand lane may be the best position crossing an intersection, especially one with heavy left turn traffic i.e. crossing the intersection in front of, or into, you, the hapless motorcyclist. Being right, right gives you that little extra reaction time you don't have if you're left, left.

Motor On ,/'

post #22 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 6:22 pm

I usually seem to gravitate to the left side or the left tire track of what ever lane I'm in. I feel more comfortable there. I think more drivers can see my lights directly or in their mirrors. The only time I ride in the right tire track is when I am in a group ride and I am forced to that track because whoever is immediately ahead of me is in the left track.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #23 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Uuuug.

What makes the suicide lane even worse is that the center lane is used a turn lane about 20 hours during the day, but as traffic lane going into the city in the morning, and an outing traffic lane in the evening.

To make sure they are even more dangerous, place them adjacent to a University so that thousands of people who have never heard of a suicide lane have to encounter them.

Bob
post #24 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 8:39 pm

Ride left of the center of the lane to claim your territory.
If you ride to the right, the cages will tend to take over your lane passing too close to the left ie it engourages them to pass you. If you ride favoring the left they will tend to chnage lanes to pass you.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #25 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 8:54 pm

And another...

At night in the mountains infested with mountain rats on two lane roads, the 910's are blazing, high beam on, just to the right of the center line so I have equal amounts of paved surface to the right in left should a large critter walk into the road.

On the divided highway, 1100's on and straddling the center line of my two lanes for the same reasons above. The 1100's get switched off when I approach the trucks. They tend to put out a fair amount of light, in all directions!

When passing large trucks with 100 psi in their tires, I move to the far left of my lane when passing them, and far right of my lane when they are oncoming. I have seen the shrapnel dispensing effects of a blown big rig tire.
post #26 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 9:46 pm

On the mean streets of Phoenix, lane position is determined by the least dangerous option at that very moment in time, i.e., what is the closing rate of the angry soccer mom behind you in the Hummer talking on the cell phone -vs.- the chances of that concrete truck on your left going for the freeway exit at the last moment -vs.- the thumping low rider cutting you off in a road rage incident with the Minnesota couple in the Buick.

This is why I appreciate the engine and brakes so much on my 06 LT. Turn and burn or brake and bank...
post #27 of 31 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 9:53 pm

I like riding just left of the grease strip especially in town. If I can see myself in the car in front of me mirror I am sure they can see me. we have to be very careful here because of the sand on the roads, especially this time of year, going tight through a corner can get more exciting then it needs to be.
post #28 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 2:17 am Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmpilot
On the mean streets of Phoenix, lane position is determined by the least dangerous option at that very moment in time, i.e., what is the closing rate of the angry soccer mom behind you in the Hummer talking on the cell phone -vs.- the chances of that concrete truck on your left going for the freeway exit at the last moment -vs.- the thumping low rider cutting you off in a road rage incident with the Minnesota couple in the Buick.

This is why I appreciate the engine and brakes so much on my 06 LT. Turn and burn or brake and bank...
All my riding in Phoenix is just passin' thru with the normal flow of traffic....80+ in the carpool lane.
post #29 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 4:26 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
[color=Navy]Where in the lane do you usually ride and why?
Well, after Tony's story, and one of our patrol vehicles being totalled last week, it sure ain't in the right lane!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #30 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 4:30 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasub
Why cant it be a drunken IT guy....?
It could--BUT-- sailors are just known more for their drinking than IT guys.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #31 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 5:42 am

Ride to see and be seen.

Other than on a straight road, where outside track is prefered in order to own my lane (avoid the grease line in the centre especially when it's wet), I always ride for best visibility and where I can see an escape route. At times that could even be on the other side of the road if necessary and safe to do so (and legal). In a nutshell that is what advanced training/roadcraft teaches in the UK.

From experience I always move away from trucks/buses, whichever side of the road they're on, mainly to get out of their turbulence. I almost had an tractor/trailer run over me and wife in a little sports car years ago - not pleasant The only reassurance was that we'd have fitted underneath the trailer quite easily!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in