Full Face or police style???? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Question Full Face or police style????

I have been riding for a few years now and have always had a Shuberth full face helmet.
I have been thinking about getting a helmet that might be a little more comfy for summer riding, 1/2 or "police style" helmet.
Just looking for some feedback. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Delicate topic... I have both types of helmet (full face and half helmet). I'll wear the full face 90% of the time. The other 10% I give in to temptation and wear the half helmet on those days where the weather is just perfect. There is no question that a half helmet gives you less protection than a full face so I won't even argue that point with anyone who claims a half helmet is a bad idea. However, if we are going down the "bad idea" route, then riding a motorcycle is about as inteligent as wearing a half helmet. We should all drive cars then... Just my two cents.

Marc
2012 White R1200 GS
2006 Gray BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 Black BMW K1200LT (retired)
post #3 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 9:13 pm

I've been using a Nolan N42 in the summer and a full face in the colder weather. The N42, with the shield, isn't much cooler than a full face. I'm probably going to switch to a Nolan N84 year round. I like their sunscreen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N42_start.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	10405   Click image for larger version

Name:	N84_start.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	10406  

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

post #4 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 9:34 pm

Like the two previous posters, I also own both types of helmets. I admit to using the full face mainly on my Ducati and the open face Bell helmet on the LT on most days. The open face is the first one which I have owned of its kind and I really enjoy the freedom it affords, but also realize its' shortcomings. I have never worn the open face on my Ducati, due mainly to the lack of a windshield. I also own a couple of older BMW System helmets which I dust off every now and then.

My opinion is that it really comes down to a matter of personal preference. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't go without one or the other.

Martin
'03 Anthracite K1200 LT
'02 Blue R1150 RT
BMW MOA #44043
post #5 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 9:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFranz
I have been riding for a few years now and have always had a Shuberth full face helmet.
I have been thinking about getting a helmet that might be a little more comfy for summer riding, 1/2 or "police style" helmet.
I recall my MSC Instructor relate that many helmeted non-lethal injuries are around the jaw line. Within a half-hour, one of the ladies went down and her jaw line was scraped pretty badly. Fortunately she was wearing a full-face model.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Mar 10th, 2007 at 9:52 pm. Reason: spell ck
post #6 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:03 pm

Quote:
I rode for a very long time wearing a 3/4 helmet. However, after I got accustomed to wearing a full face helmet I would feel "necked" if I rode with the 3/4. Right at first the full face may make you feel like your head is in a fish bowl, but within a very short time you will become accustomed to it. The full face definitely offers more protection.
post #7 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Smile

You might want to look into the schuberth j1 , I prefer an open face but like the chin bar it has.
post #8 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:17 pm

I have both and love my Arai open face with its flip up shield. I just ordered a Shoie Multitech flip up style and hope this will be a good compromise between the different types.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:19 pm

I was broadsided on the highway last summer by a guy who ran a stop sign. 30' of air, 100' slide/tumble down the pavement for me and my daughter. The chinguard areas on our helmets had most of the damage. Can't imagine the damage to our faces without that protection. Unfortunately, it was 'too hot' for me to wear a jacket so I lost a lot of skin on my shoulders. Permanent scarring there but at least it's not the first thing people see when they look at me.

I vote full face always.
Rick
post #10 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:31 pm

helmets

Like most things in this sport, they all have their positives and negatives. Full face without question provides the most protection. That said, I have ridden many miles and taken many trips with a 3/4 helmet. You just have to know and accept the consequences if you go down. You have a greater chance of being hurt more if wearing less protection. This goes in situations like jeans vs armored pants in the summer, etc.

That said, I now ride almost exclusively with a modular/full face helmet. The rare times I do not, I understand I am sticking my neck out a bit more. Even many modular full face helmets are not built as well as they should be.

Steve
05 LT
post #11 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

A bit off the thread, but I'm curious about how effective the flip-up full-face helmets are? How well does the flip-up feature hold when you have a get off and take a hard hit?

Denny
post #12 of 55 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
A bit off the thread, but I'm curious about how effective the flip-up full-face helmets are? How well does the flip-up feature hold when you have a get off and take a hard hit?

Denny
I've had 2 chances to test them (unfortunately). I ride with a Shoei Syncrotec. Got rear ended by a pickup doing 45 while I was sitting still, flew 30 or so feet through the air and came down head, shoulder and bike first into the side of a car, then got dragged 15-20 feet by the bike after bouncing off the car. Second was riding in the rain up CA highway 1, hit a patch of mud and rode a 2 wheeled slide at about 35 into the side of a mountain, along a ditch, then got knocked off just as the bike high-sided, and I rolled and slid back across the road to about the center line. In both cases the helmets took a bit of a pounding (especially the first one) but never came open and protected my head very well.

The Shoei has metal pins and hooks for the chinbar, but some of the other flip-face helmets don't. If you choose one of these style helmets really inspect the locking mechanism for strength and sturdiness of materials.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #13 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 12:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I've had 2 chances to test them (unfortunately). I ride with a Shoei Syncrotec. Got rear ended by a pickup doing 45 while I was sitting still, flew 30 or so feet through the air and came down head, shoulder and bike first into the side of a car, then got dragged 15-20 feet by the bike after bouncing off the car. Second was riding in the rain up CA highway 1, hit a patch of mud and rode a 2 wheeled slide at about 35 into the side of a mountain, along a ditch, then got knocked off just as the bike high-sided, and I rolled and slid back across the road to about the center line. In both cases the helmets took a bit of a pounding (especially the first one) but never came open and protected my head very well.

The Shoei has metal pins and hooks for the chinbar, but some of the other flip-face helmets don't. If you choose one of these style helmets really inspect the locking mechanism for strength and sturdiness of materials.
Now those ae two tests the NTSB would be proud to have orchestrated!!!! Made me hurt reading them. Thanks much for the great response.

Denny
post #14 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 6:55 am

ALWAYS, always, always, fullface.
I work in an OR and have seen what happens to someones face if they don't have a fullface helmet.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #15 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 7:55 am

I like using the Nolan with the flip-up chin guard in the locked position and in the cooler months I flip it up, which makes it a 3/4, I do admit I ride in a 3/4 in the summer, but with a flip down visor in case I get caught in our Colorado hail storms. I know the Nolan with the chin guard down is the best and safest, but I like a little air in my face when it is really hot.
post #16 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 8:20 am

Those of you who know me know that I like to eat and, as I always tell my MSF classes, I don't want to ingest my steak through a straw!! Therefore, hot or cold, day or night, it's a full face helmet for me.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #17 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 8:55 am

Another vote for full face. I had an accident about 7 years ago--I was probably only at about 35mph at the time of impact--and the chin bar area on my helmet was heavily damaged. A 3/4 and I'm sure I would have had some jaw/facial injuries.

I wear a BMW/Schuberth and will flip it up on the highway for a few minutes when it's really warm. (conditions and traffic permitting)

Brian Heller
2001 LTC-Pacific Blue
post #18 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 9:16 am

Smile Another bean to the pot

Well like many of you I two have had both, and am involved with Emergency response to accidents, it scares me when you see people remove helmets even those with the know how.

With a wind screen I find that the full face is hot and cuts down on outside noise and some of that you need to here IE horns, rubber being burned brakes. I also find that my 180 Degree visibility is better and quicker IE I can turn my head easier.

I guess I look at being able to prevent the accident rather than protecting my self in the accident, although I have been in two in the 35years of riding and in each case I was able to move quicker out of the way of harm.

I do like the full face in cooler weather and my communications is better with the full face too.

But I will stick with the 1/2 helmet for the next 35 years
post #19 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 9:20 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I've had both types I like the full face it is much quiter and I like the protection

Stevie Shreeve
post #20 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 9:34 am

Thumbs up A Long Time Ago

When I first started riding (and knew nothing about the beast or the dynamics of CounterSteering, I was following a friend with his HD 1200 on my Honda CX500. On an off ramp (to fast of course) I learned the need for ATGALT (patch scraped off butt) and low side shoulder. And when I close my eyes I can still see the ground sliding past the opening in the Full Face helmet .

Just my .02

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #21 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:14 am

I finally made the switch

For years I rode with 3/4 and 1/2 helmets, all Shoei's. I just didn't like the closed in feeling of a full face. But common sense and the stats on this subject found on Jeff Deans web site convinced me it was time to get a full face.

I went with a Shoei Hornet. It's a cross over full face with a visor and a longer chin for more airflow and room. It's the best helmet I've ever had and it's FF and I don't feel claustrophobic in it either!
post #22 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:29 am

I have only owned full face helmets since 82.
From what I've read about 35% of motorcycle crashes include chin impact. That is enough for me to not even consider anything but a full face..

but to be fair As I've gotten older I've become pretty anal about safety on a motorcycle. I always wear over the ankle boots, always wear an armored jacket, and on most rides over a few miles wear armored pants. I avoid high traffic city areas especially around rush hours, and because I have read that 50% of motorcycle fatalities the rider has consumed alcohol, I will not ride if I've had even one beer.
post #23 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:38 am

Thumbs up Full face for me

check it out
http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/swisher.htm

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #24 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:54 am

Does it tell you something that the police forces in Europe use full face, mostly flip-ups?

My best friend had a bad accident just before he was 21 (almost 40 years ago) - went round a corner and there was a truck approaching him on the wrong side of the road passing a parked car. He banked hard, dug the peg into the ground and flew under the truck. His bike went into the ditch - undamaged, which is more than happened to him as he spent 6 months in hospital recovering from a broken back. He's 1.5" shorter than he used to be but, and this is critical, he would have been dead if he hadn't been wearing a full face as the truck's front axle hit his head as he went under. Saved his life. I got rid of my 3/4 helmet there and then and have been full face ever since - almost: I've tried a 1/2 helmet in MA when it's been sweltering hot, but can't stand the noise above 40mph and am always fearful about the lack of protection. Full face every time.

If half or 3/4 helmets were safe I think the WSB riders would be wearing them, don't you?
post #25 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 2:15 pm

Flip up Helmets

I highsided my K75 and severely damaged the chin bar on my Shoei full face. I now wear a BMW system 5 flip front helmet which is tested as a full face helemt and has to survive a blow to the chin bar - European standard E22-05. It may also explain why BMW insist that you do not ride with the chin bar up.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #26 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 7:59 pm

The way I look at it, if I'm going to wear my helmet anyway, it just makes sense to ride with a fullface. On those really hot days, or those really beautiful days, I may decide to ride WITHOUT a helmet altogether and if I'm going to do that, I want to do that without a shell on at all. On another note, my SO and I just tried out our new flipups and I would recommend you at least take a look at them before you decide which way to go.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #27 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 9:53 pm

Seriously...... Go try on a bunch of helmets.... Find one you really like for the winter months then find a nice light open helmet for the spring and summer and early fall....... Thats how you pick out the PROPER helmet.......

All you are getting here are very well intentioned opinions,,,,, the only facts are nhow the helmet feels to you.....

If every time you are going to ride your bike you worry about getting hurt then the over protection of your head or elbows or maybe your knees or maybe your butt then why are you riding???? either get out and enjoy the bike or get rid of it and buy a Dodge 4X4 Cummins 3500 dually.....

Remember you will more than likely get a head injury in a car accident than a bike accident..... To many people worry more about surviving the ride than think about enjoyin the ride.... You ain't going to live forever no matter how many helmets you wear.......

And if you do crash and are a veggie ward of the state they will take good care of you and NOBODIES,,,Thats NOBODIES taxes or medical cost will go up because of what helmet you pick out,,,or weather you wear ba helmet or not.....

ENJOY your bike,, don't allow the often spread paranoia about getting hurt ruin the ride...After 43 years of riding all my hurts have healed and and a quick 100mph run with just sun glasses and t-shirt still has the same trill it did in the '60's..............Regards Pete
post #28 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:03 pm

I bought my first full face helmet in 1972 - it was (if I recall correctly) a Bell Star, and I believe the first mass produced full face helmet. I bought it because I thought it was so cool, high tech, and completed my "look". A perfect compliment to my 1972 H1B Kawasaki triple, aka the widow maker.

One year later I broadsided a deer coming home at 3:00am after working a 16 hour shift during my summer job. I landed on my face in the middle of the road. No doubt that helmet saved my life, even though I was so banged up and bruised I could not walk for several days. It was good to be 19.

Fast forward to 2007 - and I have always worn full face Arai's since then.

Until this year, when I bought a new 3/4 Arai to wear during hot weather.

I took my first ride with it last month over a 400 mile day trip and have to admit that I felt it was liberating to have an almost unlimited field of vision, especially during "quick head turns" to check traffic. It also made the rest of my ride feel more "free".

While I enjoyed it immensly it was also much noiser than my full face - but also provided a lot more air flow which I found refreshing. I think it kept me more alert especially toward the end of my day.

My take on the 3/4 helmet:

THE GOOD:

Much better in traffic due to increased peripheral vision.

A much better "motorcycle experience" - kind of like watching HD wide screen vs. a video IPOD.

Much cooler and lighter - therefore possibly less fatigue inducing - especially behind a large fairing where wind and aerodynamics are not an issue.

THE BAD AND THE UGLY:

Ain't no way it is going to protect as well as my full faced Signet GT which I am wearing - as I type this.

I plan on wearing the 3/4 when it gets REALLY HOT. I think the increased airflow is worth the increased risk.

Bottom line - I think an alert driver is a much safer driver.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #29 of 55 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:43 pm

I have never owned a flip-up style helmet.

I have seen some riding with them open. It must catch the wind and make a bunch of turbulence noise.

I have heard too many stories about damage to the chinbar in a crash situation. I stick with full face.

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #30 of 55 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 2:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMW
I have never owned a flip-up style helmet.

I have seen some riding with them open. It must catch the wind and make a bunch of turbulence noise.

I have heard too many stories about damage to the chinbar in a crash situation. I stick with full face.
Can you share any of those damage stories? I am considering a flip style for my next helmet and have not yet heard any stories about chinbar failure. Of course I'm leaning toward one of the higher end models with a metal latching mechanism.
Also, I don't believe any of them are designed for riding with the bar up and I wouldn't even consider it so the wind shouldn't be an issue.
post #31 of 55 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 4:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
I highsided my K75 and severely damaged the chin bar on my Shoei full face. I now wear a BMW system 5 flip front helmet which is tested as a full face helemt and has to survive a blow to the chin bar - European standard E22-05. It may also explain why BMW insist that you do not ride with the chin bar up.
As an FYI, it's actually illegal to ride with the chin bar up in the UK anyway.
post #32 of 55 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 6:26 am

I ride fulltime with a Nolan N100E modular and love it. I admit that it can get warm in the summer but with the faceshield open, it gets a little cooler. I just like the feeling of more protection.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #33 of 55 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:29 pm
fas

Thumbs up Full Face for this Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
+1

Working in racing for years, I vote full face only. With the new airflow designs, the air flow cooling is pretty darn good. Accidents happen. Be dressed accordingly. For the sake of my family and my face, I wear only full face helmets.

The accident data alone should speak to your mind. Why try to beat the odds?

Riding since 1971, I always try to buy things that will help me survive.

Sweat washes off. Road rash is not a good way to improve your body mass index.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #34 of 55 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:38 pm

Nolan

I have a Nolan that I wear full faced most of the time 98 percent, however I can flip it up and wear it like that provided the windshield is such that the wind doesn't catch it and I'm in traffic or going below 25 mph. Just my two cents

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

- Einstein
post #35 of 55 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 1:29 pm

My first helmet was a 3/4 that probably cost $10. But I was riding a moped at the time.

My second was a Bell Tourstar that I got shortly after I bought my CB200T.

After that, I've owned a succession of Shoei full face buckets. Each and every one of them has been WHITE.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #36 of 55 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 10:37 pm

Of course, being picky: "police-style" is a bit of misnomer. It could only apply to US police force - which, as we know, is not necessarily on the leading edge of correct protective gear. Short sleeves and britches speak for themselves.

The open-face hemets are called "jet helmets" in Germany, for example. Almost as a rule, I see motorcycle cops in Europe fitted with the modular (flip-up) helmets. The rest of the gear is not shabby, either: in central Europe, most police forces use leathers, in Britain I have seen both textile and leather suits.

As a matter of fact, for your entertainment: I am on the left in the picture taken at a radar trap in Austria.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Patrol_Austria.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	10448  

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #37 of 55 Old Mar 13th, 2007, 10:04 am

Full Face or police style???

when i began "serious" riding about 5 years ago, having ridden off and on for 40 years, i bought a moto guzzi...when i shopped for my helmet, i saw and put on the shuberth flip up...over $500...the salesman said, "so how much do you think your head is worth?"...i ride now about 8000 miles a year and have had several bikes (K12LT, Triumph, HD Heritage Softail Classic, R1100 RT)...i live in dallas and ride during the hottest part of the summer...i find that my full face helmet actually is cooler when the face shield is down and the hot wind isn't blowing directly on my face...i find it interesting that even though we all took 7th grade science and learned about heat/evaporation and the effects on our bodies, we don't learn from just seeing what the beduins wear over in the arabian countries...i wear full protection, either leather or padded, and keep my body temperature much lower than those i see riding with no helmet and a tank top...under my padded clothes i wear bicycle shorts and a body armor shirt i can soak down with water at gas stations...i make pottery and deal with the heat coming off a kiln...the 105 degree temps hitting my face at 80 mph feel about the same...no thanks...jm.02
post #38 of 55 Old Mar 13th, 2007, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by d8ug
.i find it interesting that even though we all took 7th grade science and learned about heat/evaporation and the effects on our bodies, we don't learn from just seeing what the beduins wear over in the arabian countries...
jm.02
Thats all I ever wear, on the plus side it does double duty when I show up at the picnic table, I just pull the rag off my head and bingo table clothe
Sorry couldn't resist, I'll go stand in the corner for awhile.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #39 of 55 Old Mar 13th, 2007, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Thats all I ever wear, on the plus side it does double duty when I show up at the picnic table, I just pull the rag off my head and bingo table clothe
Sorry couldn't resist, I'll go stand in the corner for awhile.
Rock
Rock;

You just crack me up

Full face and only full face... Got up close and personal to a GP rider who caught a knee. Slid for more than 600 ft. on his noggin... The hole that opened up on the front right part of the shell was about 1.5 inches in size... He walked away and I still call him friend to this day...

Rock... you can get outta the corner now...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #40 of 55 Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Full Face

First off I think we should be able to wear whatever we want. Nothing like a cool breeze in your face during a slow ride with the smell of the in the air. That said I'm alive today because on April 25th, 2004 I was wearing a full face helmet while someone came out of nowhere after running a red light and hit me head on around 50 MPH. While he shouldn't of been there, he was. Save the open face helmets for when other people aren't around. ~ peace
post #41 of 55 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 6:14 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Just looking for some feedback.
Well. I don't know how it is to ride in your neck of the woods, but, in SO KA, it's nuts! So full face for me.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #42 of 55 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 4:18 pm

I'm a switch hitter too!

I have limited vision with my full face . I also have times when moisture obscurs some of my vision. I wear the full face in bad weather conditions and cold weather. I wear the half when I feel the extra vision and confort make up for the risk.
post #43 of 55 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle
Save the open face helmets for when other people aren't around.
Ummm... when and where would that be? On a closed track and you're the only on there? The problem is you just never know when some ninny will appear out of nowhere with the sole purpose of ruining your day.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #44 of 55 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 9:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have both and tend to take the full face on longer trips ride most of time with the shield up . My issue is allergies. Ramming pollen up my nose at 70mph leads to a couple of good sneezes and I have lost all visibility I am also considering a flip up style

Dave Oehler
2005 LT Dark Graphite - "K-Ship"

BMW-MOA 121422

post #45 of 55 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 3:12 am

Hi,

As with the majority here I go full face only. My health and welfare as well as having to provide for my family mean nothing else will do.

I do have a system V BMW flip though and when you are stuck at roadworks or traffic accident where you are stopped for a couple of minutes you can always flip it up for more fresh air and then simply lock it down again as you pull away.

They pass all the tests and are as safe as normal full face, many riders having proved that point in real world testing.

Mike
post #46 of 55 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:48 am

Adding my .02cent worth.

Every time one these threads pop up about LEO about safety gear I must add this. Next time in the heat of summer, come to Florida. Next put all your gear on. Full finger gloves, leather jacket, bullet proof vest, about thirty pound of gear, gun belt, cuffs, pepper spray, extra ammo and radio. In the heat I want you to get off and on about 20 times. Walk up to a parked car, walk back, attempt to write a ticket, making sure the violator does not sneak up on you, listen to the radio.

I wear a 1/2 helmet, full finger gloves (since we went to ticket prints, no writing tickets) and 100% my bullet proof vest. Couple years a go we had a motor go down on the interstate and what saved his a$$ was his vest and gun belt. I know that is the risk I take when I get on a motor. More cops die from a gun shots than road rash. I could and most motor cops could complain about there gear, but probably would be told to go get in a car.

I also have found that you are limited to on who makes good motor cop gear. With Areostich (sp) making a pants and jacket, they are only ones I have seen or hear. Also with the price tag you pay and that in Florida you could not possible wear in the summer. I believe their jacket and pants were $1000. With 10 motors that is $10,000 and you would only maybe wear it 5 months out of the year. Let me pass that one on to my supervisor.

So before you knock the US Police Force, the gear that I wear is probably better than most motorcyclist wear.
post #47 of 55 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:21 pm

1/2, 3/4, full.

I have personally ridden a motorcycle in the NY metro and 'burbs since 1968. I have the 3 major type of helmets (no shorties), and use them all.An old timer once told me, "It ain't if, it's when you fall". I wore a half one day in 1979 when it would have been better to wear a full face. I fractured my left orbit. I also almost lost my right leg, but that day in May, I thought the suit of armor would be too hot. I am still riding, and still using the 3 helmet types (no shorties).I also take the MSF advanced course to keep my skill level up. Biking is not a necessity. It is supposed to be a pleasurable experience. You use disposable income to enjoy biking. The word "If" sometimes makes you crazy. Get a helmet that you like, and just apply Murphy's Law. Works for me. BTW...I always, always wear mid-length boots.

Bdublewe
post #48 of 55 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:40 pm

Classic M

Larry,

Buy an Arai Classic M. With the money you save by not buying a Arai full face, you can purchase some good ceegars!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	araiclassicm.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	11054  
post #49 of 55 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Full face?

Your choice of helmet style (or lack of helmet) is exactly that, your choice. Risk awareness and risk acceptance. I wear a modular helmet most of the time, but I do have a half helmet for those days when temperature and humidity are in a race for the triple digits.

If you go down, there are only two possible outcomes. You live or you die. If you live, even if you're hurt, that's great. You're alive. But from my point of view, if you die....a full face helmet is best. The jaw area is kind of hard to reconstruct for an open casket funeral.

Signed,

Your friendly neighborhood undertaker.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #50 of 55 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 4:30 pm

John, I don't want to argue with you, but I think the Morrisville Police Department has the right idea.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in