Rode a Harley yesterday. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 6:45 am Thread Starter

Rode a Harley yesterday.

My friend bought an Eletra Utra Classic (sp), white, 2006 with 2000 miles. Rode it a couple of miles. Would I own one, if I had the money. Yes. Different. Yes. The seating position for me is like I am trying to touch my toes in the seating position. It had a lot of doo dads, CB, inter com, radio, cruise and fog lights. I saw a sticker price $20000, did not ask what he paid for it. He never tells me what he pays for his toys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 8:25 am

Oh yes...the famous "Eletra Utra Classic". I think that's how I'll spell it (and say it) from now on.

I think most law enforcement agencies are going to BMWs because their force can actually spell that correctly.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
My friend bought an Eletra Utra Classic (sp), white, 2006 with 2000 miles. Rode it a couple of miles. Would I own one, if I had the money. Yes. Different. Yes. The seating position for me is like I am trying to touch my toes in the seating position. It had a lot of doo dads, CB, inter com, radio, cruise and fog lights. I saw a sticker price $20000, did not ask what he paid for it. He never tells me what he pays for his toys.
I rode glides about my whole life, I liked the handleing of the four speed frame bikes better, you would not like how loose the new ones feel at 80

there is a fix though and you might tell you buddy about it

it is true tract I forget the website right now, but it adds one more connection point to that rubber mounted swing arm stiffenin up the bike, also have it alilgned, there is a plac in Hotlanta that does it the correct way

I can get you the detail for him if you like

do not do the above and tell you bud not to ride fast he might find a tank slapper

Oh BTW i have not heard back from anyone eyt, i will call today sometime again

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 9:56 am

Electric uteris ?????

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:04 am

I was riding an Ultra Classic Electraglide (Also tagged with the moniker FLHTCU) from 93 - 96. Put 65,000 miles on that bike, and while it rode great, handled fairly well (once I changed the suspension & brakes and tossed the whitewall Dunlops for Metzelers), it spent roughly 6 months of that 3 years in the shop. Fixes included a radio, 9 sets of rocker boxes, 2 top ends, an entire motor (when the crankpin snapped and the flywheels took out the cases), and a transmission, just to list the bigger stuff. It's the reason I left Harleys and moved to BMWs. Never really looked back, although I did buy a 79 FXE Shovelhead that I kept for about 9 months as a 2nd to my RT. Only put 2000 on it and sold it, just no interest any more.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 4:38 pm

It was all I could do to get rid of my Electra Glide Classic...the market is waaayyyy to saturated from a sellers standpoint. Finally unloaded that piece of shi....artwork and got a GT to go with the LT.....Im as giddy as a schoolgirl...

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

My pop and law just bought one also today. Harley's everywhere. And R1200RTP is a lot easier to spell. Better for us non-spellers.
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 8:20 pm

I rode HD for 15 years

Never had a problem but I finally got tired of being roasted in the summer and the brakes are just plain dangerous. Sold my Ultra, bought a 2002 RT-P with 30K on it and I haven't looked back. It's a flat out fantastic bike.

If your in laws or friend have bought '07's, then the chances are good that they are going to be VERY hot on these bikes. The leaned out setting from the factory, presumably to meet EPA regs, has these bikes running VERY hot.

Tell them to correct the situation, they can put a Power Commander on it with the map for a stock bike. It will richen it up and cool the bike down noticeably.
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopjr
Never had a problem but I finally got tired of being roasted in the summer and the brakes are just plain dangerous. Sold my Ultra, bought a 2002 RT-P with 30K on it and I haven't looked back. It's a flat out fantastic bike.

If your in laws or friend have bought '07's, then the chances are good that they are going to be VERY hot on these bikes. The leaned out setting from the factory, presumably to meet EPA regs, has these bikes running VERY hot.

Tell them to correct the situation, they can put a Power Commander on it with the map for a stock bike. It will richen it up and cool the bike down noticeably.

I will let them learn the hard/hot way.
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:11 pm

LOL! August in Florida on a Harley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in