New Victory Vision - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

New Victory Vision

In a moment of weakness, I traded a '02 R1100R for a Victory. Long story short the Victory was in the shop for 4 of the 6 months I owned it. Back to Beemers after that. I still get the magazine from Victory and this month they highlight the new tourer. Looks like a cross between an LT and the batmobile. Not sure where Victory is going with this one. It has an available electric windshield, available sound system,and an available heated seat. No idea on the price. I think I will keep my available '03 LT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 9:25 pm

Cool

I like the new look of the Victory.......... looks like they are after the
BMW-ish-AmericanCruiser Market eh?

Makes sense as the demographics for both are very simular.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #3 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:30 pm

I kinda put the Vision in the same boat as the Honda Rune....not sure how many Runes were sold, but I cant imagine it was a bunch. There will always be someone with money in hand waiting to buy the Vision, but I dont think its as functional where it needs to be (twisties, HP, etc).....

My .02

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

post #4 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 1:10 pm

I saw 2 of them at the show , my daughter said they looked "futuristic and swoopy" while it had some nice features , it looked like a gold wing and an Arlen Ness bike had a bad coupling.
post #5 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
I like the new look of the Victory.......... looks like they are after the
BMW-ish-AmericanCruiser Market eh?

Makes sense as the demographics for both are very simular.
I looked at them in detail at the Cleveland show
Had a guy my size sit on it while I checked clearance on the side stand
less than a hands width without a passenger.
That would be a drag point, problem I think
Rock
post #6 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 8:28 pm

Hard to believe your Vic sat at the dealership for 4 of the 6 months. What was wrong with it? I have had 3 Vic's and never had one in the shop except for tune up or mods. Not sure on the hp and trq. but shoule be pretty high since the ***** is a 112 cid engine. Certainly will be larger than the stock 100 cid on their other bikes.
post #7 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

if you think it looks a wee bit like a LT, according to the Polaris rep at the motorcycle show the ain designer is a former BMW designer.

Looks good but not engineered as much as a LT.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #8 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

My Vic had three recalls, the cylinders leak oil from a bad casting and there was something wrong with the kick stand spring, that would let the stand drop when I was headed down the road. I thought the bike looked good and it was comfortable, it was just a bad luck bike. But I have also owned 6 beemers and have never had anything really go wrong with them.
post #9 of 25 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:11 am

Victory Reliability

Montycs did not apparently have a good experience with the Victory, as noted above.

In the 09/02/06 edition of the Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper, their motorcycle columnist recounts his very disappointing experiences with not 1 but 2 Vics. I do not want to offend copyright, so I will not reproduce the review in this post. However, here is the link to the review which is a sad commentary on the lack of quality control, flawed design and the foibles of being an "early adopter":

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TURNUS+victory

If you read the piece, you will see that somebody sure as heck did not "sweat the details".

Would de fadderland or our Japanese friends produce such disappointing crud without seeming to make an effort to correct the problems? I am sure that there are those on this forum who will be able to enlighten me.

In all fairness to Polaris, they may have cleaned up their act in the intervening 5 years since the 2001 and 2002 models subject of the review to which I have referred.

I had the opportunity to test drive the Kingpin and another model and I was really impressed with the power band and the relative smoothness of the 100 c.i. engine, big twin. To me, a much more pleasing experience than my very limited H-D exposure. But one hour on the factory preped, "they god darn better work" demos is a far cry from actual ownership.

I, for one, welcome the prospect of another competitor (?) to the touring market. Anything that brings more people into the sport has got to be good for the community. There is credibility in numbers.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #10 of 25 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:14 am Thread Starter

Paul

Thanks for that webpage, very interesting. Victory never did want to address my problems, but to their credit they did fix everything. Mine was a 2001. I think that Polaris has done a much better job and the bikes look good, but I am going to stay with BMW's until I can't hold them up at a traffic light.
post #11 of 25 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 8:04 pm

It's kind of funny, some of the things I read when Victory was rated #1 by JD powers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powerCircle_chart.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	10280  
post #12 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2007, 7:45 am

Looked a Vision over in Daytona yesterday, no demo rides, but no velvet rope either. Handlebars felt a little cramped, more Gold Wingish than the LT. Other than that, I didn't any issues with the riding position. The seat will suck; they all do don't they? The weight in the bike seems very low as it came up off the side stand very easily, but who knows how of the bike is actually there. Everybody commented on the "light" feel.

Top case holds two full face helmets, but not much else. They wouldn't open the side bags. My suspicion is they may be redesigned for more room before the production run starts. The left side passenger grab rail on the display bike was beat to hell. Everyone who dismounted the bike while I was there kicked it, hard. Victory might want to do something there, or at least make the finish more durable. A couple of Harley guys commented on the integrated tip over bars, as if that was a new concept.

The bike definitely looks better in person, but there was a lot of "I don't know" answers when asked about the design. Looking forward to riding it.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 5:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montycs
but I am going to stay with BMW's until I can't hold them up at a traffic light.
Then I think I'll trike the BMW.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #14 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Quote:
My Vic had three recalls, the cylinders leak oil from a bad casting and there was something wrong with the kick stand spring, that would let the stand drop when I was headed down the road. I thought the bike looked good and it was comfortable, it was just a bad luck bike. But I have also owned 6 beemers and have never had anything really go wrong with them.
What year and model was it ?
post #15 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2007, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Paul

Thanks for that webpage, very interesting. Victory never did want to address my problems, but to their credit they did fix everything. Mine was a 2001. I think that Polaris has done a much better job and the bikes look good, but I am going to stay with BMW's until I can't hold them up at a traffic light.
Those early vics had a few problems ... but still no where near the problems my buddies had with their Harley's.

Mine (An '04) has been nearly flawless. Mechanically I've never had a single issue.

Last edited by Petre; Mar 8th, 2007 at 6:26 pm.
post #16 of 25 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
I kinda put the Vision in the same boat as the Honda Rune....not sure how many Runes were sold, but I cant imagine it was a bunch. There will always be someone with money in hand waiting to buy the Vision, but I dont think its as functional where it needs to be (twisties, HP, etc).....

My .02

F

Based on...what ?
post #17 of 25 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 9:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingblade
Based on...what ?
my looking at the vid and the pix of the bike....I didnt design the fookin thing, just seems as if the lean angles are short due to the predominance of chromey shit hangin off it. Being a VTwin, youre not gonna have much more than 100HP on a stock motor...sure there plenty of big HP twins out there, but not at showroom prices.

answer your question...sheesh, 2 posts and you climb all over my shit...

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #18 of 25 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 5:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
my looking at the vid and the pix of the bike....I didnt design the fookin thing, just seems as if the lean angles are short due to the predominance of chromey shit hangin off it. Being a VTwin, youre not gonna have much more than 100HP on a stock motor...sure there plenty of big HP twins out there, but not at showroom prices.

answer your question...sheesh, 2 posts and you climb all over my shit...

F
I apologize if you took offense to my question. I dont quite understand the reason for the venomus response? I'm new here to this board so I guess there are certain protocols here I am not familiar with? Now, to address the points you brought up:

The Vic engineers specifically addressed these issues becasue they wanted the Vision to have superior handling characteristics. It does LOOK like it would be top heavy but the way the designed it - it has a very low center of gravity (confirmed by many who have already taken one off the kickstand). According to the test riders, a serious sport touring rider will be able to scrape the pegs/boards in very tight turns but they are made to deal with that. They are especialy proud of the Visions low speed handling and feel it will be a big selling point - this is why they will be pushing test rides very hard at all dealerships.

As far as comparisons to the LT it is my understand it will not be introduced with a reverse gear or ABS - two features that many upper end luxury tourers expect and it seems that its storage space is a liitle but short of the space provided by the LT or the Wing.

Just my two cents

Last edited by slingblade; Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:28 am.
post #19 of 25 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 7:26 am

Thanks for the article link. Based on that article, I would be hard pressed to even consider a Victory. The thought of touring cross country for a business trip with my trailer carrying merchandise and gear just scares the daylights out of me... Talk about an unsuccessful business trip. I'll stick with what seems to work for me, my LT!!!!
post #20 of 25 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 5:34 pm

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=4938&Page=1

'whatever' Phil 4:8

post #21 of 25 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:11 am

The released specs state the motor on the Vision will be a 106 Cu in (1731cc) unit. That modification could be done on Victory's other models at the dealership for $ with a kit from S & S. They claim 106 ft pounds of torque, which is reasonable for chain driven dual overhead cams. Based upon my 103 cu in Harley, I project that the power will be around 105HP. I, too, sat on one at Bike Week in Phoenix. For a short guy, it was a comfortable position and the feet were firmly on the ground. The famous seat issue can be summarized by saying it was alright for five minutes and not moving.

There was a photo of the side saddle bags on the web and the actual space inside is not that of the doors, but a substatntially smaller area. Having not seen a production model, I don't know if that is the ultimate reality.

I put down a refundable reservation deposit last spring, but plan to cancel since there is no ABS. Even Harley is now offering an updated ABS system at extra cost. Maybe a future Vision will offer that feature. Rumors have it that Bushtec will offer a trailer hitch for the bike in the near future. The next year's model will offer more flexibility for GPS and other gear.

This link might be of interest.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...on/Experience/
post #22 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 4:23 pm

I rode by the Victory dealership in Myrtle Beach, SC. They had a Vision street model sitting out front with a Michigan dealer tag on it. I was checking it out when a sales guy asked if he could help. I asked if I could sit on it and he said "Sure!". Then I asked if I could start her up. "Sure!" again was the reply. After talking to the guy for a while and explaining that I was an LT owner and that this Vision was sort of a copy of the LT right down to the tip over bars and moulded side cases, and telling him how I was a retired motor cop and all, he let me take it for a short ride. My impressions were.......
V-twin still has more vibration than we are accustomed to....very low center of gravity....handle bars curiously look like LT's.....great low end torque (couldn't wind her up due to traffic)....has foot platforms rather than pegs for rider and passenger...very comfortable leg position eliminating the need for j-pegs, etc......great fit and finish......intregal brakes but no ABS available......really bright lights.......no heated seat or grips on street version.....great sound, not too loud....belt drive seems worry free...tip over bars front AND rear....really cool looking in black....electrically adjustable windscreen is standard.

It really didn't float my boat all the way but it was a very interesting bike and I am sure it will do well. They did not have one with the tour package so I can't comment on the weird top case.

Now back to the Grady White and then damn elusive fish.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #23 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:48 pm

That is one ugly motorcycle. I suspect as already mentioned that it will go the way of the Rune.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #24 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:49 pm

Cool victory vision

there is a 5 page write up on it in the sept. issue of MOTOR CYCLEST mag. they run a bun burner 1500 on it. average mpg. 38, 92 bhp @4500 rpm, 109 ft. lbs @ 3250 rpms.
post #25 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:36 pm

Rider Mag

Current issue of Rider has a write-up as well. They did note the lack of space in the saddlebags. Also a really good photo of the GPS system....looks awfully familiar, expect for the lack of left side buttons.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in