Helmet recomendations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Helmet recomendations

My wife and I are probably due for new helments.
We currently have Nolan modular (flip ups)

Any recomendations on the newer modular helmets?
And, where to get them without giving up an arma and leg in price?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 9:00 am

Smile

It all depends on how much you want to spend, caberg has some decent flip up helmets, if you like the schuberth style but dont want to spend that much. I have a schuberth j1 which is a relatively new style, and very happy wth it, but a bit pricey now. I am sure there are a lot of others out there who have their opinion on helmets. As far as where to get helmets, I have purchased most of my helmets off ebay, or you can always get something from your dealership.
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 9:50 am

theres a group buy on the Shoei Multitec helmets for 390/ea. I wear (wore) the Nolan Modular helmet like you, and the Multitec is lightyears lighter and much more comfortable.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 9:54 am

Don't think I can help out relative to a flip-up bucket as I just scored a full face Shoei but I will tell you that even though I shopped online, a better price was not to be found than what was offered locally.

Reading a similar thread, there were a few glowing comments made about The Helmet Shop if you do wish to pursue mail order. Find them at:

http://www.helmetshop.com/

Good luck!

David
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 5:00 pm

Well, I have a Schuberth Concept that is now my backup.

I went with a Nolan N102 (no bluetooth) based in large part on the recommendations of some folks here _ you'll find they have plenty of opinions and love to help spend your money... I really really like this helmet. It isn't the quietest helmet, but I can't visualize any flip-up being as quiet as a full face; it is light; the visor stays open; and it fits my noggin very well....

I got mine from an eBay auction run by the folks at SandHill PowerSports (sandhill_powersports) -- the proce was better than anything on the web, including their own web site. Service was excellent... No affiliation, just wanted to pass on a place to save a buck or two....
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 5:47 pm

I bought my 2 Nolan N102 here:
http://helmetcity.com/

they gave me great service, and free replacement parts when I snapped a painted piece while changing out a visor. 2 thumbs up from me!

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 6:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

see the thread on the shoei multitec, if not I agree, Jeff at Helmet Harbor is great to deal with.

Regardless, make sure before you order from there or ebay or the multitec group buy that you try whatever you like on and wear it for at least 5-10 mins in the store.

(PS, I have a matte black Nolan N100 modular, XL, worn four times, clear shield with anti-fog, just didn't fit me right---hence I am an expert on the "don't buy off of the internet unless you KNOW it fits" concept--if the nolan XL fits ya, would cut you a great deal, still have all of the tags and paperwork in the bag it came in)

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:00 pm

Smile Had Nolan now Shoei and Arai

My wife and I went through 2 sets of Nolan flop helmets over about 5 years. Always had problems with noise and forehead pressure point. Thought I never could like full face. I was wrong. The bottom line is my wife and I each have found a fit we can wear all day for weeks and still be comfortable and there is no doubt that flip helmets develop more wind noise turbulence so our new helmets are MUCH quieter. Bottom line, the best helmet is the one you will wear and be comfortable with fit and satisfied with wind noise. Fit is most important since you can always use earplugs.

Happy trails!

Jim Andrews
Woodland, MN
2003 K1200 LTE
2014 Honda NC700X DCT
2010 Aspen Classic Pop Up Camper
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek1
My wife and I are probably due for new helments.
We currently have Nolan modular (flip ups)

Any recomendations on the newer modular helmets?
And, where to get them without giving up an arma and leg in price?

Thanks
Read this first:

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbo...helmet_review/

before you even consider any of the name brand helmets that everyone is sooooo in love with. You can get excellent light weight protection without spending big bucks. Kinda long but well worth reading.

I would still try on any helmet on for at least a half hour before buying to make sure it fits your noggin(s).

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 7:05 am

No one haas mentioned this one, but I know I and at least one other rider on here like the Fullmer Modus. Fits a Shoei type head well and can be had reasonably. Less that $200 full retail and I have seen them under $100 on sale. On my Vstrom, it whistled annoyingly, but on the LT, it's a pretty quiet deal. And will accept headsets with no major mods.

Randy
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 7:25 am

Helmets are a very personal item and all depend on the shape of your head. I can't get a BMW helmet to go over my head, and the Schuberths are SO uncomfortable. That's MY experience. My wife and I both wear HJC simply because they actually fit properly, accommodate the intercom and above all they are quiet compared to other makes I've tried. Mind you, we use full face, and they will always be quieter than flip-ups anyway...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in