GPS tracking live on the Internet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

GPS tracking live on the Internet

Some months ago riders post here about a GPS device that send the bike position to a web site and other can have a live track of your trip.
Any news on this subject?
It was quite expensive back them. wonder if there is any improvement in price and features.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Some months ago riders post here about a GPS device that send the bike position to a web site and other can have a live track of your trip.
It was quite expensive back them. wonder if there is any improvement in price and features.
Hi, Elton --- among the several members of the community that are knowledgeable about the track-display device you mention, ping Tate (Zotter) and Edgar (eatanner). Edgar did his 48++ states ride with a system two years ago. I think he still has the unit on his bike, butt not sure if he still subscribes to the service. (Seems like the program had the word 'Traxx' in it, butt I'm not sure).

Good luck, Elton. Hope you get an answer.
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Hey, Elton - I found this and I think that's the service that Edgar used, IIRC. Good luck.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 8:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Nextel

Most Nextel phones are equipped with GPS and with the right software, anyone with the log in password can track you. I've seen it work and it will show your position on a map, your speed, where you stopped in the last 48 hours and other assorted info. Quite powerful. I watched a buddy drive down I-75 and then stop in his driveway. I could tell his speed and where he had been. Amazing stuff.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:44 pm

If you've a ham license, you can run APRS.

There are almost as many ways of viewing APRS telemetry as there are hams looking at it. One of the easier ways, without setting up your own client software, is this site. You'd need to know the callsign of who you want to follow. This station belongs to a friend of mine here in town - we use his mobile tracker as a demo unit. If I'da remembered to turn it on, you could've seen my LT's track from yesterday. My LT's tracker is an old DeLorme GPS receiver, a TinyTrack-3 and an HTX-202 VHF hand held, all tucked under the passanger seat and feeding a base loaded 5/8ths wave 2m antenna where the CB antenna would usualy be mounted. Running 5 watts I get excellent coverage around Wyoming.

A google search on "APRS" will overload you with many days worth of reading.

My personal client of choice is Xastir .

And I've a few posts on it al in the GPS gadgets forum too.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #6 of 6 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 5:00 am

Thumbs up Starr Trax

Quote:
Do a search on starr trax. You attach a transmitter to your bike. At the web site you will see examples from LD rallies.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in