Nitrogen filled tires. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Nitrogen filled tires.

I have a buddy with a local cage shop, and he is getting equipped with the means to fill tires with nitrogen. Apparently, the newer high performace cages have their tires pressurized this way, at it improves performance and wear...better heat dissipation, more stable pressure retention...

I've been offered to try it for free on the LT, any suggestions/caveats ???

This is all new to me, I just would like some input.

Ride Safe !!!

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 8:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Do they have winter and summer air?

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good idea for the Nitrogen in tires... only "problem" is how do you adjust pressures on the road?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 8:52 am

As an aside, airplane tires (at least for those with retractable landing gear) are filled with nitrogen so they do not add huge amounts of oxygen to the immediate area when they blow up in the case of a wheel fire (especially important when retracted).

post #4 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:05 am

No caveats, it certainly won't hurt anything.

I personally use a custom blend of 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen and small traces of other gases including argon and carbon dioxide. Seems to work great and I haven't had any problems with it.

Cheers,
-joel
post #5 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:09 am

Nitrogen filled tires

The only benefit I can see to using Nitrogen in your tires is that it doesn't contain water. When I lived in the desert, I never had tires change pressure after I filled them. Now that I live in the humidity again, every couple of days the pressure is changing.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #6 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog

I personally use a custom blend of 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen and small traces of other gases including argon and carbon dioxide. Seems to work great and I haven't had any problems with it.

Cheers,
-joel
Awesome! soooo.... where can I buy some? I only want the best in my LT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:18 am

Quote:

Cheers,
-joel
Yehbutt, would you wanna breath the stuff???
post #8 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:18 am

Hope that nitrogen is imported from Germany
cheers
BR
post #9 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:40 am

You've already heard what the advantages are to nitrogen filled tires, go for it. It's not a totally new idea but obviously hasn't been widely used. As for adjusting pressures on the road, the mix of air (or Joel's "custom blend") and nitrogen won't make any difference.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #10 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Awesome! soooo.... where can I buy some? I only want the best in my LT!
Come on up to Kingman. They're giving the stuff away!!!
post #11 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Yehbutt, would you wanna breath the stuff???

(Darn, now I have to wipe spittle spots off my monitor.)

Cheers,
-joel
post #12 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:07 am

At the last CCR one of the seminars was on tires. It was given by TJ Tennent who I think is the head North American engineer for all Bridgestone Tires. He is also a biker. It was probably the best and most informative seminar I've attended in the last 4 CCR's. He was asked the nitrogen question and said the jury is still out. Pro's: minimal water content, less expansion when heated, and less loss of pressure. (air filled loses on average 1 psi per week while nitrogen is less). Con's: cost and availibility.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #13 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:26 am
Bouncer

Quote:

Cheers,
-joel
Yep, that's the same custom brand I use. I also like the extra special touch the argon, neon, and helium add to the mix. I could do without the methane and carbon monoxide, but it doesn't seem to effect the performance very much.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #14 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:41 am

FWIW, the car guys do not think its a benefit. NASCAR uses it but I dont think we use our tires the same way. FWIW, I used a CO2 tank for my Jeep and use it with my other cars and bikes. No noticable difference that I can tell. Many Discount Tires store offer this option for $4/tire.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #15 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthead
[...]less loss of pressure. (air filled loses on average 1 psi per week while nitrogen is less).
Not to pick on you, but I always love that argument. So when when the tire loses pressure because the oxygen escapes, what's left in the tire? Problem solved!!!
post #16 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:04 am

They've been using them in race car tires for years. Since our LTs go just as fast, nitrogen should be good enough for us too.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #17 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
They've been using them in race car tires for years. Since our LTs go just as fast, nitrogen should be good enough for us too.
Really? So you ride your LT at 200MPH where 1/100's of seconds count, on soft tires that are 1/4" thick?

Link: http://express.howstuffworks.com/200mph-tech5.htm

Cheers,
-joel
post #18 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:38 am
Bouncer

Quote:
Really? So you ride your LT at 200MPH where 1/100's of seconds count, on soft tires that are 1/4" thick?

Link: http://express.howstuffworks.com/200mph-tech5.htm

Cheers,
-joel
And make continuous left turns for 500 or so miles?

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #19 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:43 am

Nitrogen

Our local Costco uses it with the purchase of new tires. I tried to get the guy to air up my tires on the bike and the car, he said they are prohibited because of possible liability. Other than that he claims it maintains pressure better than oxygyn.

Larry Norris
99 K1200LTC w/custom trailer (Champ)
Olympia, WA
post #20 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 12:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Interesting.

Quote:

Cheers,
-joel
Same here. No issues whatsoever with the same blend you use. Unfortunately, the word on nitrogen in tires is apparently "out there". I've had to stand in line at several local stations to get this stuff. It's still free, at least for now. I'm sure once it becomes widely popular they'll start charging for it.

I'm thinking of switching to 100% helium in my tires, as the resulting buoyancy -- while minimal -- will allow me to pack a few more pounds in the top case.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #21 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
And make continuous left turns for 500 or so miles?
Actually, there was this time in Billings, Montana where I did that while looking for a hotel room at 2:00 AM...
post #22 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I've had to stand in line at several local stations to get this stuff. It's still free, at least for now. I'm sure once it becomes widely popular they'll start charging for it.
I have seen many gas stations that charge for it using coin operated air, I mean custom nitrogen formulation , stations. So it's only free now if you shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'm thinking of switching to 100% helium in my tires, as the resulting buoyancy -- while minimal -- will allow me to pack a few more pounds in the top case.
But wouldn't that accentuate the high center of gravity during cornering.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #23 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 3:22 pm

I get nitrogen in all my vehicle tires at my little local air park from my friend who is an airplane mechanic who is broke all the time because he does so much work for free and guys like me freeload off him all the time. He has to by the nitrogen in big canisters and it is not cheap so I bring him a small coffee when I go up to fill up.

Also, I believe the Costco box stores use nitrogen in ther tire shop.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #24 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Nitrogen

I took a tour of the Club Car build facility this week and they are starting to put nitrogen in the car tires on the golf/utility cars they build . They say less leaching (go figure).
It is a cool facility they build the car from the frame on up electric or gas on the same line in less then 2 hours and have it on the truck to ship in the color you ordered.
Really cool operation !!

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #25 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
The only benefit I can see to using Nitrogen in your tires is that it doesn't contain water. When I lived in the desert, I never had tires change pressure after I filled them. Now that I live in the humidity again, every couple of days the pressure is changing.
Nothin' like that Atmospheric Air, eh?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #26 of 32 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:01 am

Quote:

Cheers,
-joel
Kdog, I hope that you don't breath that stuff!
post #27 of 32 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:21 am

I only go 200 mph and make continuous left turns when I'm practicing for the Experienced Rider's Course in a parking lot.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #28 of 32 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Ive been an aircraft mechanic with the Air Force / Reserves & now Air National Guard for the past 23 years.
The big deal with nitrogen is the absence of moisture. All landing gear struts & aircraft tires are filled with nitrogen . If you are filled with notrogen and need to add pressure you can add compressed air and its no big deal.
Nitrogen is just the Preferred method. The tires do maintain pressure alot better with nitrogen.
post #29 of 32 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFranz
Ive been an aircraft mechanic with the Air Force / Reserves & now Air National Guard for the past 23 years.
The big deal with nitrogen is the absence of moisture. All landing gear struts & aircraft tires are filled with nitrogen . If you are filled with notrogen and need to add pressure you can add compressed air and its no big deal.
Nitrogen is just the Preferred method. The tires do maintain pressure alot better with nitrogen.
I prefer Helium, I get MUCH better wheelies out of my LT, but DAMN, is it expensive!!

I buy it in bulk for THIS bitch:

Hmmm, maybe those Germans had a good idea? I should try Hydrogen!

More BANG for the buck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AeroMedia Airship.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	9937  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #30 of 32 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:24 pm

Quote:

Cheers,
-joel
Excellent answer! +10
post #31 of 32 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 1:00 pm

Nitrogen doesn't change pressure much with temperature changes, which is why race cars use it (same pressure on hot or cold tires). Many of the new cars with tire pressure monitoring systems benefit from nitrogen filled tires, because the air pressure in the tire can drop by approximately 1psi for every 10 deg F of temperature drop when filled with air. So, a tire that you set to proper pressure warm may trip the TPMS light when those temperatures drop below freezing. You then have to add air to get the light off, and the tire pressure then increases as you drive.

To me, it's a lot easier to check my tire pressures before I ride, right along with my usual pre-ride inspection.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #32 of 32 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 1:12 pm

I wonder if the temperature would change if I filled my tires with oatmeal?? Well....maybe just the pasty gray looking stuff......not the oats themselves. Hey....it'll probably seal punctures too, huh?? Could I sell this to the dealers?? (OK, I'll strain it ahead of time..........but I could sell it for way cheaper if I didn't have to do that).

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in