5 year old tires - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 7:53 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

5 year old tires

There is a set of 5 year old K1200 LT tires for sales on this forum and when I initially saw the ad, I was concerned about the age, why they were for sale and if they might just be a little too old to put on the road. Can they dry out? How can you really tell?

My 5 year old Infinity SUV has 56,000 miles on a set of Bridgestones' and they still have about 1/2 of the tread left. Local Infinity dealer tells me that they are too old and should be replaced, even though lots of tread is still present and they look good. The tires are not dry rotted and seem to be in good shape.

On the other hand, I would be afraid of 5 year old tires on my bike. Just doesn't seem prudent.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 8:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

.... tires do age... http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/a...ting/index.htm

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
There is a set of 5 year old K1200 LT tires for sales on this forum and when I initially saw the ad, I was concerned about the age,

On the other hand, I would be afraid of 5 year old tires on my bike. Just doesn't seem prudent.
When you have less rubber in contact with the ground than a fat guys tennis shoe. Thats all standing between you and eternity you want to save a couple bucks?
This posted by a guy that rarely wears a helmet rides in shorts flipflops and tshirt .
Rock

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:10 am

I tihnk 5 years is within the realm of "OK" for current technology tires. I've seen cars and bikes with tires older than that that were just fine for numerous miles. For example, about 15 years ago a friend of mine bought a 77 HD XLCR 1000 Cafe Racer with a 3000 miles on it, and from what we could tell the original tires (about 15 years old). The rubber wasn't deep black like new tires, but they rode and handled fine, and between the two of us we probably rode it another 1500 miles with no problems before they were replaced.

The bottom line on this is how you feel about them. It sounds like you're not comfortable with the idea, so don't buy them.

Oh, and your Infiniti dealer is trying to scare you into an expensive purchase. Tell him to take a hike.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:28 am

Tires do get dry or hard with age. Stored in a garage they will last better than outside. They may not look bad but still not be safe. With car tires it isn't as dangerous as they have four. I have seen car tires with good sized cracks be driven quite a way with no problems.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
There is a set of 5 year old K1200 LT tires for sales on this forum and when I initially saw the ad, I was concerned about the age,
Don't buy them. Tires continue to cure to some extent even under ideal storage conditions and 5 years is at the borderline with regard to age alone.
Ben White/The Hills, TX
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Hummmmm, dilemma! Saving $220.00 or going to H3ll sooner than scheduled???
Dunno! Tough choice

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 5:11 pm

Just get rid of the bike.
If you buy them you will always back off in a move take less on the inside track, shit might as well stay on the couch.
Its like putting a cheap flue on a wood stove, yeah you saved a couple bucks, but you'll never sleep sound again.
Rock
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 5:39 pm

I've got several business vehicles and trailers that sit unused outside in the sun for long periods of time with Michelins and plenty of tread. They look like hell with cracked sidewalls and are kind of orange/grey looking. I keep Sunbrella tire covers on them, yet they still dessicate (dry out) over time.

I periodically tow with these in extreme heat - probably the most demanding application for tires - and have never had a failure due to a tire delaminating or blowing out.

Having just confessed to something I should probably NEVER do:

I can't even imagine riding my scoot on old or worn out rubber. Not A CHANCE!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 8th, 2007 at 5:44 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in