Bike Insurance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 6:35 am Thread Starter

Bike Insurance

I just got my Progressive insurance bill for next year. It appears to have increased by 40%. My wife and I have no tickets, claims, and live at the same address. After five years they must think it is time for a claim. Any comments on Foremost, GEICO, and Markell (BMWMOA Insurance)?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 7:01 am

I have Foremost (through AARP) and I just got my renewal 2 weeks ago. It went down about 25% from last year. I have had no accidents either and only signed with them last year with my '99LT with full coverage. So far, they are at the top of my list. Aso, I didn't add any discounts during the year (Driver safety course, etc.), so it's an apples to apples comparison. I didn't call to ask why.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #3 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 7:02 am

Bike Insurance

I bet everyone has an opinion on bike insurance. I had progressive and they raised the rates on me. So, I am now using Foremost. As good a cost as I could get and I shopped. Had one claim and was very pleased with the service. They are worth a call. I wouldn't use GEICO if they were the only insurance out there. Very bad experience awhile back with auto insurance.

Ultra LT

Riding is Life. All else is just waiting.

post #4 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 8:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

I just got a quote from Nationwide, who carries my homeowners, auto, inland marine, and umbrella policies. For apples to apples coverage, they were within fifty dollars a year for my two motors. An additional benefit to Nationwide is that my $3MM umbrella will extend to the motorcycles as well if they are covered by a Nationwide policy. Umbrella does not cover them if they are under Progressive or any other carrier.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 9:37 am

Just paid my bill for this coming year with Ride - $187.00 for a 2001 LTC, $750.00 deductible. I've got a clean record.

Event though I alwasy preach shopping for insurance I did not do it this time since it was about the same as paid last year...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 9:37 am

[QUOTE=UltraLT]I bet everyone has an opinion on bike insurance. I had progressive and they raised the rates on me. So, I am now using Foremost. As good a cost as I could get and I shopped. Had one claim and was very pleased with the service. They are worth a call. I wouldn't use GEICO if they were the only insurance out there. Very bad experience awhile back with auto insurance.

[QUOTE]
can U explain on the GEICO thing. I haven't found anyone in my area who can touch their rates for my LT. thanx.
post #7 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 9:40 am

Just got my renewal from Safeco and It went down. Full coverage with roadside coverage, 300,000.00 limits was $212 for the year now $185.00. Try that on a Harley or Wing for that matter.

99'K1200lt

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #8 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:23 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
... can U explain on the GEICO thing. I haven't found anyone in my area who can touch their rates for my LT. thanx.
When I checked GEICO in Kalifornia for the K-R, I was stunned at how high they were. They wanted $2300 a year. When I asked them a few questions about it they let out that a not the carrier in Kalifornia and are using another insurer for coverage.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #9 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Geico Poor Service

This goes back awhile, but I'm Italian, so I hold grudges for a long time.

Had a minor accident running a car into a ditch due to black ice. a month later when I picked it up from the recommended body shop, I drove it off the lot and the front end was all loose. I mean dangerously loose. The body shop did not fix or notice the damage and therefore did not fix it. OK, everybody's human, but GEICO refused to change the claim and said I would have to file another claim, because they think I had another accident within the 150 feet of the shop. They really fought me on it.

I finally revailed by contacting a GEICO VP in DC. He finally did the right thing. Meanwhile I was without car and had to go through a lot of crap I shouldn't have. No GEICO for me, EVER.

Ultra LT

Riding is life. All else is just waiting.
post #10 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochatley
Just got my renewal from Safeco and It went down. Full coverage with roadside coverage, 300,000.00 limits was $212 for the year now $185.00. Try that on a Harley or Wing for that matter.

99'K1200lt
That's a great price, does it include UM/UIM? Everything I have seen is a LOT more than that, and I have clean record, great credit, MSF and other discounts.

Of course, location could have a lot to do with it. Dunno.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 28 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 6:09 am

Quote:
You guys are making me really unhappy...
New R1200RT full coverage, experienced rider, no claims, accidents etc. in good old Taxachusetts - $1173 for the year with a $500 deductible. And there's no point in shopping around as it's all state controlled...

Thinking seriously about moving up to Live Free or Die country....
post #12 of 28 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 6:57 am Thread Starter

Bike Insurance Update

Foremost has offered a quote of $1026 for the year compared to Progressive's $2006. This quote is for a 2002 LT, 2004 1150 GS, 2005 650 GS, and a 2007 R1200R. Yea my mom still says I sick to have all these bikes.

Foremost also include replacement cost for the new R1200R. Thanks for all your comments but I think the decision was made for me by Foremost.
post #13 of 28 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
That's a great price, does it include UM/UIM? Everything I have seen is a LOT more than that, and I have clean record, great credit, MSF and other discounts.

Of course, location could have a lot to do with it. Dunno.
Did not get UM/UIM coverage. I will just use health insurance and collision coverage will cover the bike if necessary. $472 deductible on policy

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
post #14 of 28 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:27 am

Man, you guys are making me think about my coverage, I have Bikeline and thought it was a good rate. I better check around.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #15 of 28 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 12:07 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch
I just got my Progressive insurance bill for next year. It appears to have increased by 40%. My wife and I have no tickets, claims, and live at the same address. After five years they must think it is time for a claim. Any comments on Foremost, GEICO, and Markell (BMWMOA Insurance)?

Thanks in advance.
I had Progressive on my HD Ultraclassic. When I needed insurance on an 07 LT the price was $605/year. I received a quote from Geico for the same coverage at $393/yr. I went with them. I have no claim experience with either insurance company and went for the lower price.
post #16 of 28 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:25 pm

Bike Insurance

What I'm not reading in these replies is the value you are all putting on your bike, etc. My insurance is based on the value of my 05 LT, my clothing, helmets, and the the tent trailer. I base my value at around $25,000 for this stuff and that makes my insurance the $1,700 it is. Let us know what you have based your value on and we can compare apples to apples.

Cheers, Bill

05 K1200 LT
post #17 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 5:37 am

Quote:
Did not get UM/UIM coverage. I will just use health insurance and collision coverage will cover the bike if necessary. $472 deductible on policy

GET UM/UIM!!! It is the cheapest disability policy you can get. If you are hit by a cager it will probably be a bad accident, you could be out of work and have a lot of rehab expenses and assorted expenses that your healt insurance won't cover. I am an Insurance Agent and will not sell a policy with out Um/Uim because I don't want you estate sueing me because I didn't cover you properly. Your bike is worth a few K your health and life are worth millions.
post #18 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 5:42 am

As I just said, I am an insurance agent. In my office we have 5 carriers. It is a crap shoot as to which is cheaper at the time. Usually progressive or Us Insurance. Insurance is all a waste of money until you have a claim. I don't understand why anybody would be satisfied to deal with an 800 number or internet when they can have someone down the street to be their advocate. Granted most agents don't understand bikes so you need to understand what you want and read your policy. Coverages are not always identical to auto. Go sit down with a human, preferably at an independent agency, so they can compare companies.
post #19 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 6:40 am

Just hooked up with GEICO for the 2000LT...343$ for a year, full coverage, UM, and 500$ deductable.....clean licence, no claim history.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #20 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 6:41 am

I was just getting ready to renew with Foremost but decided to go to my local agent and get a quote. I dropped off my policy late yesterday and she said she would call me this morning. My rate last year for my '99LT with full coverage including 300/500 and collision with $500 deductible was $465. This year it went down to $311 with no change in coverage. This automatically includes $1000 of accessories, and protective apparel. If there's alot of farkles, you have to let them know up front so they will cover them. I'll let you know how I make out. I agree, it is nice being able to deal with an agent instead of an 800 number, depending on the agent.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #21 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 9:12 am

Just got a call from my insurance agent. $194 from Progressive for the same coverage I'm getting now. This includes a $12 multi-car discount that I was told last year I couldn't get.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #22 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by haji3
GET UM/UIM!!! It is the cheapest disability policy you can get. If you are hit by a cager it will probably be a bad accident, you could be out of work and have a lot of rehab expenses and assorted expenses that your healt insurance won't cover. I am an Insurance Agent and will not sell a policy with out Um/Uim because I don't want you estate sueing me because I didn't cover you properly. Your bike is worth a few K your health and life are worth millions.

I have great health coverage. I made sure I am covered for any catastrophy, also a seperate disability policy. Good Advice for everyone.

What I'm not reading in these replies is the value you are all putting on your bike, etc. My insurance is based on the value of my 05 LT, my clothing, helmets, and the the tent trailer. I base my value at around $25,000 for this stuff and that makes my insurance the $1,700 it is. Let us know what you have based your value on and we can compare apples to apples.

My bike is covered for $25,000 and $3000 for accessaries which is way more than a 99' is worth.

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
post #23 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:02 am

I just called Foremost to let them know the difference in premium that I got from Progressive. They have a new policy offered through them for AARP members that now includes towing, roadside assistance and trip interruption insurance included.

My bike is covered for 250/500K liability, 100K property damage, 250K um/uim, 50K pip, 50K no-fault, 2K monthly work loss, 2K death benefit, 3500 accessories and 1500 for protective equipment if related to a covered loss. I gave the value of my bike @ approximately $9K. I have a clean license with no accidents. Again, this requires AARP membership. I was also told that if you are an existing customer with them, you need to call as this is a new policy and they will not automatically switch your old policy upon renewal. They have to cancel your old policy and initiate a new policy.

My experience with cars has been that the premium is much more dependent on the class of vehicle (sport, luxury, etc.), driving record, claim record and credit rating rather than the value of the vehicle.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I can give you Foremost's #. The person I worked with is Linda and I'm sure she will appreciate the referral, especially from the quality of members on this forum.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #24 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:32 am
JMeese

same here only got my bill from Geico being I am just about a cave man I did it 129.00 for year same as last year
post #25 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:56 am
JMeese

I now have Geico but have my home Ins with Formost threw a local Ins agent I do see where the coverage with Geico is a little light 50,000/100,000 Body Injury 25.000 Liability 2,000 Medical no Uninsured no uninsured motorist & 500 deductable on Comp & collision so no wonder it is cheap. will see how formost does I hate the geco on tv anyway would run over one in a minute if seen on the road LOL
post #26 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 1:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Got a quote from GEICO yesterday, $957 for LT and HD Road King, 100/300, UM/UIM, $250 deds, and $10k in accessories/paint/pear. Next best is about $1300/year.

BUT . . . The GEICO rep kept asking for my credit card or banking info to start coverage, would not email or fax a quote/declarations page, and had trouble answering some of my questions. PLUS. . . I know of a few, including myself, who were non-renewed/cancelled by the gecko subsequent to a minor claim.

If insurance is supposed to provide peace of mind and security, and I believe it is, I may go with another, more expensive carrier to get that.

JMTCW

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #27 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Got a quote from GEICO yesterday, $957 for LT and HD Road King, 100/300, UM/UIM, $250 deds, and $10k in accessories/paint/pear. Next best is about $1300/year.

BUT . . . The GEICO rep kept asking for my credit card or banking info to start coverage, would not email or fax a quote/declarations page, and had trouble answering some of my questions. PLUS. . . I know of a few, including myself, who were non-renewed/cancelled by the gecko subsequent to a minor claim.

If insurance is supposed to provide peace of mind and security, and I believe it is, I may go with another, more expensive carrier to get that.

JMTCW
That, and that bidness about 500 mile per day limit (if true) is enough to keep me where I am - Progressive/Drive at 500K w/o Med Pay for ~400 bones a year. I'm more concerned with claims handling than premium and hear far more goods than bads re: Progressive.

One thang that irked me no end wuz, the year I bought ole Toad wuz close to when they repealed the TX helmet law. That legislative action tripled my Med Pay premiums, and those of others who carried that coverage. Insurance honchos/actuaries figgered that since there is no mandate to wear helmets, then their risk exposure is increased and thus premiums were adjusted accordingly. Even tho the law reads (I'm not 100% sure of this, and hope somebody will verify/dispute it for me) that if you don't wear a helmet in Tejas, you have to carry some minimum amount of Med Pay (10K maybe?). And for the record, I'm mad, butt not at the insurance company!!
post #28 of 28 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
That, and that bidness about 500 mile per day limit (if true) is enough to keep me where I am - Progressive/Drive at 500K w/o Med Pay for ~400 bones a year. I'm more concerned with claims handling than premium and hear far more goods than bads re: Progressive.

One thang that irked me no end wuz, the year I bought ole Toad wuz close to when they repealed the TX helmet law. That legislative action tripled my Med Pay premiums, and those of others who carried that coverage. Insurance honchos/actuaries figgered that since there is no mandate to wear helmets, then their risk exposure is increased and thus premiums were adjusted accordingly. Even tho the law reads (I'm not 100% sure of this, and hope somebody will verify/dispute it for me) that if you don't wear a helmet in Tejas, you have to carry some minimum amount of Med Pay (10K maybe?). And for the record, I'm mad, butt not at the insurance company!!
Would you go by a Harley bar and offer the take a few dollars from everyone of the nice fellows riding their HOGS with out a helmet (insert all the reason I here for riding with out a helmet) in exchange for paying their medical/rehab/funeral bills. I think the med pay law is to keep from making you have to pay it through your tax dollars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in