RTP got whacked today. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

RTP got whacked today.

While we were giving out speed awards, yes the ones that most of you do not like , I had to use the bathroom, thinking that a bank would be a safe place, and the bankers like it when we hang out there I parked my motor facing out, walked in. As I opened the door to walk out to leave a young lady on the cell phone, crying, stated she had hit my bike. As I look up I see motor #692 on it's side and the windshield and top fairing against a car. Trying to be postive, I said, "Not a big deal". Had to wait for a camera so 692 sat there for a few mintures or motors came by to help pick it up. Hurt to see it there like that. Once we lifed it saw the damage. The windshield frame had been bent down a few inches. Windshiled scratched, and fairing from the inside damaged, cracked. Side stand broken, otherwise ok. Rode it back to the station. I pretty sure that the city will sell it as "is". Have to get a quote for risk management, tomorrow.

PRC-My other windshield is ok that I am going to give you. Had taken it off, from the other ride the other day.

PS, We should be getting our new motors in about 3 weeks. I am on the spare. Yes, she was ticketed

Last edited by DaveDragon; Feb 5th, 2007 at 6:30 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Way glad you weren't ON it!

Opportunity for 'retraining' for the young lass, hope she takes it.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:02 pm

Was she talking on the phone when she hit the bike? I am wondering why she was walking up to you to tell you while she was still talking on the phone? Seems like a good time to give someone ALL of your attention instead of worrying about whom ever is on the phone......

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

post #4 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
While we were giving out speed awards, yes the once that most of you do not like , I had to use the bathroom, thinking that a bank would be a safe place, and the bankers like it when we hang out there I parked my motor facing out, walked in. As I opened the door to walk out to leave a young lady on the cell phone, crying, stated she had hit my bike. As I look up I see motor #692 on it's side and the windshield and top fairing against a car.
Yes, she was ticketed
in a parking lot? I was told in FL they could not ticket one in a parking lot when our door got dented in by a fellow pulling in.

Then again that was in Melbourne (city police) different rules for different jurisdictions?

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #5 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:03 pm

"Ticketed" on private property? Doesn't happen in Ohio.

But I can't help myself with visions of backing over an RTP, then pulling off of it . . . then just shrugging your shoulders and backing over it again. Might-as-well if you're gonna get ticketed anyway. And that way, you can make sure you damage the radar/laser unit.
post #6 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Was she talking on the phone when she hit the bike? I am wondering why she was walking up to you to tell you while she was still talking on the phone? Seems like a good time to give someone ALL of your attention instead of worrying about whom ever is on the phone......
She was talking with her Dad, telling him what had happened, as I came out, and immediately hung as she saw me. She was a very polite and upset young lady.
post #7 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

But I can't help myself with visions of backing over an RTP, then pulling off of it . . . then just shrugging your shoulders and backing over it again. Might-as-well if you're gonna get ticketed anyway. And that way, you can make sure you damage the radar/laser unit.
You can stop when you hear that crunchy noise...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

As long as the private property is not a gated. Meaning you have to push buttons to get into it. Publix's, Targets's and Wind Dixie's as long as the public has access to get, we can ticket it accept, fire lanes. (Fire lanes no statues about that) We can only enforce Florida Statues on public access property.
post #9 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Would not except anything less coming from you.
post #10 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

John, I second what Zotter said.
So what kind of ticket can you write in your situation? Just curious.
Are you 100% positive Joe didn't put her up to it?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #11 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:15 pm

Quote:
As long as the private property is not a gated. Meaning you have to push buttons to get into it. Publix's, Targets's and Wind Dixie's as long as the public has access to get, we can ticket it accept, fire lanes. (Fire lanes no statues about that) We can only enforce Florida Statues on public access property.

really, we were in a public parking lot when we were told by the cops they could not ticket the perp.

just a cop that didn't know the law well enough I guess

no biggie we got paid by the ins company.

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

Improper backing. There is a statues that states you can not back up a vehicle unless it safe to do so etc...................
post #13 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 4:58 pm

At least she was polite and aware enough to put the phone down and make amends. It would have REALLY cheesed me off if she had just been gabbing on the phone while you were looking at your ride on it's side. Accidents happen, so (barring physical injury) it's all in how it's handled after it happens, and showing respect for the person that just had their property damaged goes a LONG way toward making things right. Glad to hear it's going to all work out just fine.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #14 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

I could tell she was very upset, in fact she stated she was having a bad week. I knew a ticket was coming, just our department policy when we work crashes, and at the end of the investigation, went up to her and gave her a shoulder hug, and told her "No big deal", I am getting a new bike in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by motorman587; Feb 5th, 2007 at 5:10 pm.
post #15 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 5:14 pm

Quote:
...and at the end of the investigation, went up to her and gave her a shoulder hug, and told her "No big deal", I am getting a new bike in a couple of weeks.
I'll bet that made her feel sooooo much better.
post #16 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll bet that made her feel sooooo much better.
It did put a smile on her face, which, do you ever smile?? , and before you get all pissed off, I am just pulling your chain, Mr. Smokey Burn Out.
post #17 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 5:39 pm

I hope you threw the book at her, maybe next time she will LOOK!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
I hope you threw the book at her, maybe next time she will LOOK!
She got "Das Ticket", which is a moving violation, $120.50 plus three points on the license. And believe it or not, I did feel bad that she got a ticket. She, was upset.
post #19 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 5:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
She, was upset.
And you were not? I know it was an accident, but it is always a hassle.
I remember when my 99 LT was rear -ended... Nothing but trouble to get if repaired. Took almost 3 months so I bought my 03 LT while I was waiting...
At least the department had a spare for you to use until you get your new bike.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #20 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Glad you're OK !

Good to hear you weren't on the scoot at the time.

Best place to be when getting hit... IMHO....

Keep us posted on the sale of the old RTP.. One of us might like a project bike...

I'm assuming it was just knocked over and not more than cosmetically damaged ??

Safe.........

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #21 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Hell John ,watch how you post that, I was thinking you got pegged.
Long as your okay, the bike can be fixed or replaced.
Rock
post #22 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 6:55 pm

It's the fairing subframe misalignment that runs up the cost.

Quote:
The windshield frame had been bent down a few inches. Windshiled scratched, and fairing from the inside damaged, cracked. Side stand broken, otherwise ok. Rode it back to the station. I pretty sure that the city will sell it as "is". Have to get a quote for risk management, tomorrow.
My guess is that repair bill will be around $6,000.00. That was the shop estimate on my RT when the same thing happened to it, i.e., a bump & knock-over. And it sounds like your RTP got smacked a little harder than mine.
post #23 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 8:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Well, at least you were not on it at the time and are OK. It could have been a lot worse (you already know that traffic related incidents account for more LEO deaths than any other factor).

For anyone who is interested, check out DriveSafely.us, which was created by the NLEOMF in Washington, DC.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #24 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 8:36 am

It sounds like an accident and she was shook up about it. Could it have been avoided??? Yes, but it was still an accident. Good thing nobody was hurt and now she might even keep a little extra lookout for bikers on the road.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #25 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 9:46 am

Thumbs up While we're pulling chains...

Quote:
It did put a smile on her face, which, do you ever smile?? , and before you get all pissed off, I am just pulling your chain, Mr. Smokey Burn Out.
Man, I hope you can ride that bike better than you can type a grammatically-correct sentence. Or maybe your ticket pad has a spell check?!

Here's a thought. Maybe you can trade riding lessons for writing lessons. I'm sure there's a 5th-grader that lives near you that would like to learn how to ride his dirt bike in a parking lot...really really slowly.
post #26 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Question

Quote:
Man, I hope you can ride that bike better than you can type a grammatically-correct sentence. Or maybe your ticket pad has a spell check?!

Here's a thought. Maybe you can trade riding lessons for writing lessons. I'm sure there's a 5th-grader that lives near you that would like to learn how to ride his dirt bike in a parking lot...really really slowly.
PMS-ing Joe???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #27 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 1:03 pm

I thought it was hill-larry-ous!!!!!! It's a mutual chain jerk. No, wait a minute. That doesn't sound quiet wright!
post #28 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 2:11 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:

OK, thats it! NO personal attack here, funny or not. The statement above qualifies as such.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #29 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 2:53 pm

Joe,

In Ohio, as in most other states, one can be ticketed on private property that is "open to the general use of the public", i.e., bank parking lots or mall parking lots. There are certain exceptions for certain motor vehicle laws but most "rules of the road" type offences can be charged on this type of private property.

I know from where motorman speaks. I had a mishap involving my police Harley and a Naval Academy bus on Baltimore's Memorial Stadium parking lot but that is another story for another time.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #30 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 3:06 pm
fas

Improper backing

Quote:
Improper backing. There is a statues that states you can not back up a vehicle unless it safe to do so etc...................
Joe probably paid her to do it and she lied to you. She on her cell talking to Joe!:: Is this attached jpeg improper backing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DaBears_Grossman.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	9851  

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #31 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 3:12 pm

That's pretty spooky! She hit a parked police motor, what chance do we have? Must be time to put one of those radar devices that some vehicles have for backing up, except in all directions, and then a device that allows us to go straight UP for a few feet to avoid the cell phone day dreamers.

I have the impression that as cars get better, the drivers are getting worse!

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #32 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben
I have the impression that as cars get better, the drivers are getting worse!
That's funny. I get the very same impression with bikes.
post #33 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 3:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That's funny. I get the very same impression with bikes.
and perhaps for the same reasons... More gadgets to play with, in addition to the dreaded cell phone, such as GPS and various audio components. More distractions for those who can't stay focussed.
Some fare well with all the added instrumentation, others... not so well.
With bikes the risk of hitting something while backing up is much smaller than with a car or truck... although I managed to back into a short post in a parking lot, under the vigilant eye of the security guard . His comment was "I was wondering if you were going to hit that thing...!", so he let me! .
That's what $7.00/hour buys you!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

Last edited by zippy_gg; Feb 6th, 2007 at 3:50 pm. Reason: goofed up
post #34 of 37 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 4:33 pm
fas

Talking backing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
and perhaps for the same reasons... More gadgets to play with, in addition to the dreaded cell phone, such as GPS and various audio components. More distractions for those who can't stay focussed.
Some fare well with all the added instrumentation, others... not so well.
With bikes the risk of hitting something while backing up is much smaller than with a car or truck... although I managed to back into a short post in a parking lot, under the vigilant eye of the security guard . His comment was "I was wondering if you were going to hit that thing...!", so he let me! .
That's what $7.00/hour buys you!
Zippy,

Don't feel bad.

I hit SO's GT-S in my own drive way while backing the GT down a slight grade shortly after I sold my LT. The new GT turns so darn fast, I thought I had room to clear it. But, nope. Caught the side bag on her fender corner just ever so slightly. Naturally, she noticed before I could rub it out. That bright red of her "absolutely red" GT-S made a very noticeable line on the Grey Goose side case. Can't see it now, but she sure enjoyed heckling me.

To err is human. To forgive, divine. Owning good wax and cleaning compounds also helps.

I suggest Female Brain, a great read. Lots of good humor and a large bit of science. This 2006 publication provides great insight for those of us who love and live with women who may notice our mistakes from time to time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Female Brain.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	9854  

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #35 of 37 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 2:18 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Yup, that's the same as in KA. An LEO can cite at the scene of a T/C, even if he did not actually witness the violation occur.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #36 of 37 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 2:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Zippy,

Don't feel bad.

I hit SO's GT-S in my own drive way while backing the GT down a slight grade shortly after I sold my LT. The new GT turns so darn fast, I thought I had room to clear it. But, nope. Caught the side bag on her fender corner just ever so slightly. Naturally, she noticed before I could rub it out. That bright red of her "absolutely red" GT-S made a very noticeable line on the Grey Goose side case. Can't see it now, but she sure enjoyed heckling me.

To err is human. To forgive, divine. Owning good wax and cleaning compounds also helps.

I suggest Female Brain, a great read. Lots of good humor and a large bit of science. This 2006 publication provides great insight for those of us who love and live with women who may notice our mistakes from time to time.
Is this what you meant???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PITA.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	9877  

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #37 of 37 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 3:46 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
....I suggest Female Brain, a great read. Lots of good humor and a large bit of science.....
Don't even sweat it, guys. I just happen to be a certified expert chick translator. I take what she says and translate it to what she means, and then further translate it into what we understand (remove all the useless emotion).

Feel free to submit questions anytime. I do this as a public service to all forum members.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in