I was feeling brave today -- and I had the upper fairings and nose cone off today also. A big thank you to everyone who helped me with bits of advice and tips on how to do this. With your help, and actually getting in there and doing it, I learned a lot about my LT in the process.
I had a panel lamp out, so I used the opportunity to replace all of the gauge lamps with red LEDs. I did the map lamp as well. It all looks pretty nifty. Next time in I'll figger out how to re-lamp the BC and also do the red cellophane trick on the radio control buttons so everything matches.
I ran a couple of power leads to the front, lest I tax the map lamp circuit too much. I wasn't planning on this, but I saw that the map light is fed by an itsy-bitsy little wire. One of the new leads powers the dual socket receptacle I installed on the Co_Pilot shelf, the other is a spare so I don't have to mess with pulling a wire if I need something else up there.
In the process I lost power to the map lamp -- but didn't worry about it -- too much else going on. I tried to use the top case light a bit later, and it was also inop. Surely it was a fuse, I musta grounded the map lamp hot lead when I was messin' around. Took me a while to figger out where the bloody fuse box was. Found it, change fuse #8, and there was peace in the land; light, too.
Next up, wiring the Phoenix switch for the MotoLights instead of slaving off of the PIAAs. . .