Here comes the Spyder! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 12:12 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 235
Here comes the Spyder!

A few months ago there were some spy shots circulating on the net of this radical three wheeler. Much speculation about what it was, who was developing it, etc. No more speculation. The secret is out! Makes another nice option instead of a trike, when some of us actually get old enough to be qualified as an "old fart." It certainly would be more stable than a trike and with stability control and ABS......priceless! Dick

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/...der-motorcycle
DRothermel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:35 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
Posts: 1,900
It is interesting. Hope they do better with that than they did with the Global Express...They got spanked on that one.
Morley is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:59 am
Miles of Smiles
 
Hilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Touring Europe
Posts: 1,040
Garage
Smile Why The Weight Belt on the Pillion ?

Just noticed the belt the pillion is wearing. Seems like some serious "calories" and isn't that back tire feeling it. Think I still prefer the Hannigan, seems more "Pure"

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
Hilton is online now  
 
post #4 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 8:27 am
Senior Member
 
pjessen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO, USA
Posts: 1,493
Great price point

Unless I'm missing something, the $14 to 16k for this rig is quite reasonable compared to those with converted BMW motors that were about $50k. This should stick a fork in that charade.


http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/au...in&oref=slogin

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
pjessen is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 9:17 am
Senior Member
 
pjessen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO, USA
Posts: 1,493
Put wings on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I don't like the physics of a reverse Tricycle setup.

I've flown conventional landing gear equipped planes as well as Tail Draggers and Ground Looping a bike would be a killer.

Perhaps the engineers took this into consideration with the Spyder and made compensations in the design to prevent it.

jm2cw
Well, maybe wings would cushion the crash! They do have much larger wheels, all the weight is much lower and inside the wheels instead of an airframe and fuel tanks that are high and wide, and a much larger tailwheel hooked to a shorter wheel base that would have a harder time swinging outside the primary trail. Plus, its got ABS.

Love to test it. Looks like a good alternative to two wheels for some folks.

BTW, nope, I never have ground looped a tail dragger...yet!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
pjessen is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:44 am
Senior Member
 
Florian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Coast, OH , USA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen

BTW, nope, I never have ground looped a tail dragger...yet!
We all do....just give it time....mine was day 1 of taildragger training. Quite the embarrasment.


F
Florian is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:09 am
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,905
Last fall, we had a rather lengthy thread trying to figure out who the manufacturer of this vehicle could be. Many thought BMW, Artic Cat, VW, etc., etc... Mystery solved eh?!
messenger13 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:53 am
Senior Member
 
tkramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 424
Yeah, but does that contraption LEAN in turns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I don't like the physics of a reverse Tricycle setup.

I've flown conventional landing gear equipped planes as well as Tail Draggers and Ground Looping a bike would be a killer.

Perhaps the engineers took this into consideration with the Spyder and made compensations in the design to prevent it.

jm2cw
I agree. Even conventional trike configs have an inherent stability risk. Remember, ATVs used to be trikes until too many people were flipping them over. They were outlawed and replaced by quads.

BUT

If the Spyder has a pivot-and-lean chassis like the Piaggio MP3 then I think those worries are unfounded.

Edit: After reading the NY Times story, it looks as if it doesn't lean. what's the fun in that?

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

Last edited by tkramer; Feb 6th, 2007 at 11:59 am.
tkramer is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 6:55 pm
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 426
Safer

I've read research for years that proves this configuration is far superior to two wheels in back. I'll see if I can dig it up. I would rather spin out than turn over. Most people know how to recover from a skid in a car, and this would be the same. Most don't know how to drive a regular trike back under it's CG.

Luckily I have never ground looped an airplane, but my reflexes and currency levels continue to decline, so. Did a nice slalom through the runway lights one time and have sucked some serious seat up my ass a several times.
TandemCyclist is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 2:28 pm
Senior Member
 
tkramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
I've read research for years that proves this configuration is far superior to two wheels in back. I'll see if I can dig it up. I would rather spin out than turn over. Most people know how to recover from a skid in a car, and this would be the same. Most don't know how to drive a regular trike back under it's CG.
That would make sense given the challenges of driving a sidecar rig which is essentially a conventional trike with the front wheel out of whack. It also makes intuitive sense that the two-up-front is more stable given simple principles of momentum and vector physics. Which would you rather try doing a stoppie with?

Airplanes, (being airplanes and not cars), aren't engineered for great road performance. The landing gear is primarily engineered for, well, landing. Taxiing is a secondary design goal. So likening any 2F/1R road trike to a tail-dragger plane is strictly academic. On the ground the airplane has a very high CG relative to its points of support (the wheels), and its fore-aft component is rather close to the front landing gear, if retractable, less so with fixed gear. Whereas the reverse trike would have it's CG significantly lower (approaching the wheel axes) and distributed more equitably fore-aft (60/40?). So you're essentially comparing a shopping cart to a pallet jack.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
tkramer is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 8:09 pm
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramer
That would make sense given the challenges of driving a sidecar rig which is essentially a conventional trike with the front wheel out of whack. It also makes intuitive sense that the two-up-front is more stable given simple principles of momentum and vector physics. Which would you rather try doing a stoppie with?

Airplanes, (being airplanes and not cars), aren't engineered for great road performance. The landing gear is primarily engineered for, well, landing. Taxiing is a secondary design goal. So likening any 2F/1R road trike to a tail-dragger plane is strictly academic. On the ground the airplane has a very high CG relative to its points of support (the wheels), and its fore-aft component is rather close to the front landing gear, if retractable, less so with fixed gear. Whereas the reverse trike would have it's CG significantly lower (approaching the wheel axes) and distributed more equitably fore-aft (60/40?). So you're essentially comparing a shopping cart to a pallet jack.
Ya know, if you put some fatter rubber on this bad boy....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AeroCar.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	9870  


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
RonKMiller is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:03 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I don't like the physics of a reverse Tricycle setup. I
I can't speak specifically to the "Spyder" but I can tell you that a trike with two wheels in front inherently handles better that one with two wheels in the rear, all other things equal. I have a Grinnall Scorpion 111 trike and can tell you from experience that it handles more like a race car than any conventional trike. Of course, it has a much lower COG than conventional trikes or the Spyder. It is possible to make it oversteer though one must work at it since it has so much tire surface. In that event, it is easy to gather and power/steer out of the slide.
ben1364 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 1:04 am
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I don't like the physics of a reverse Tricycle setup.
I've flown conventional landing gear equipped planes as well as Tail Draggers
Perhaps the engineers took this into consideration with the Spyder and made compensations in the design to prevent it.jm2cw
Can't be compared to a tail dragger in any way. The rear wheel on the tail dragger is multidirectional, just itching to yaw on you and requiring massive rudder input.

No such worries here.

BRP Can-Am Spyder First Look


Bruno
Montreal, Canada
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides
Seeker is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome