Abs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 12:34 am Thread Starter

Abs

Hi ya'll,
A little bit unrelated to LT issues. I haven't had my LT long enough, nor riden it much, to have any issues with it. My other girl is a 94 R1100RS and, untile I got my 03 K1200LTE, was my pride and joy. A strange thing has occured with it during cold weather. The ABS system won't arm. The two red lights alternate, but when I start to move, it doesn't arm like normal. And it seems to work fine during warmer weather. EI, above freezing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 1:15 am

Check the brake fluid levels.
2 chambers in the rear reservoir.
Both need to be full, not just above minimum. Yup, even a few CCs can make a difference.

if no joy with that, then check battery voltage. No margin for marginal batteries on these bikes. Replace the battery if it's anything less than perfect. Suggest something like the Odyssey PC680

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 2:29 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Just A Thought On the Start Cycle

I know this is a long shot, but I had reason to remember a technique about starting the LT. During the initial start when the key is turned on and the electrics self test, do not hold the brakes (foot or lever) If you need to prevent rolling, then the bike is in 1st gear any way "Isn't It" !!! to stop it rolling forward and falling over off the side stand. Sure I read that in the owners manual. Must be my old age creeping in. HTH

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 7:51 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I shall check the fluid level- - - hadn't thought of that, and that would explain the temp sensitivity. Battery is newer gell cell and E=13.5+ so that isn't it. I be at work now and shall be off shortly. Then it is nappy time. By noon it should be warm enough to drag my toys out and do some play time, , , and hopefully take my LT for an afternoon outing. The wife hasn't had a ride yet, so hope to give her a maiden voyage.
Thanks again,
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 8:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by comstocklt
Hi ya'll,
A little bit unrelated to LT issues. I haven't had my LT long enough, nor riden it much, to have any issues with it. My other girl is a 94 R1100RS and, untile I got my 03 K1200LTE, was my pride and joy. A strange thing has occured with it during cold weather. The ABS system won't arm. The two red lights alternate, but when I start to move, it doesn't arm like normal. And it seems to work fine during warmer weather. EI, above freezing.
Mine did that too, only when it was cold, the ABS lights would flash and once it was warmer, would not flash.

Got some information on this site about checking the brake fluids and sure enough. It was the rear brake fluid, added and no more blinky ABS lights.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Well Zotter. You had it pegged corectly. The front res was almost empty. I didn't have any dot4 and didn't want to make a trip into town just for that. Will get some tomarrow and that should take care of that. Thanks ! ! You da man. I'll let you know for sure tomarrow.
Thank you,
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 8:22 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by comstocklt
The front res was almost empty.
Roger,

Better check the condition of the brake pads as the reservoir should not be that low unless they are nearly worn out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 9 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

Job done

This is great. Thanks for all the help guys. I picked up a jug of DOT4 this am. Got home about noon and since I had some time decided to flush the whole system and give everything a going over. Test ride up the road and everything hunky dorey. To celebrate, I fired up the LT and went for a cruse. I just can't get over the ride. Almost forgot what was the plan, very tempting to just keep on keepin on. . . Anyway, don't have license on the RS, so couldn't take it on highway.
Thanks to all,
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 1:10 pm

Cool, good to hear it was an 'easy' one.

When it gets cold, the fluid in the brake system acts a tad like the goop in a thermometer. Shrinks back a bit. If the fluid level is a tad lowish already, the cold can be enough to cross the threshold and trigger the blinky lights.

Well, at least it sounds good when doing 16oz curls with the boys.

Important part is your bike is fine and life is good!!

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in