should I buy a cb750 or cb350 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

should I buy a cb750 or cb350

I want to buy an old bike to tinker with. I think I have narrowed it down to a hond cb 4. I just want something to buzz around town on so the 350 would probably be fine as I am not looking for power or speed. Any thoughts, any years to avoid? Got any good websites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 3:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I always liked the CB 750 and buddies of mine had nothing but trouble with their CB 350 twins. I am talking about the 70s here and have no experience with newer models.

Also My dad had several CB 750 from the first models in the late 60s and had nothing but praise for them.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 4:03 pm

Don't forget they also made a 550 Four (late 70s). I had that for quite a while and had zero problems and liked the fact that it seemed almost as light as a 350 and just about as powerful as a 750.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 4:21 pm

If you don't like leaking oil...

You should go with the CB 750. Both the CB 350 and 550 were notorious for head gasket leaks. The CB750 literally changed the motorcycling world! I had one for years...even won the Rat's Hole Chopper Show in Daytona with it one year! Still got the trophy! How's that for a preacher!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
You should go with the CB 750. Both the CB 350 and 550 were notorious for head gasket leaks. The CB750 literally changed the motorcycling world! I had one for years...even won the Rat's Hole Chopper Show in Daytona with it one year! Still got the trophy! How's that for a preacher!
Well, I think Jesus hung out with a lot of similiar people!

The one (750)I am looking at is a 1979, I would like something older but this one is in town. It has a bilevel seat, is that original? I really don't like it.
post #6 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by haji3
I want to buy an old bike to tinker with. I think I have narrowed it down to a hond cb 4. I just want something to buzz around town on so the 350 would probably be fine as I am not looking for power or speed. Any thoughts, any years to avoid? Got any good websites?
The CB350F has a swiss watch of an engine. Just poke the starter button and she fires right up - without any fly wheel mass to speak of it is probably the fastest starting engine I've ever owned. Head gasket leaks can be easily fixed with new gaskets, just make sure the torque sequence is followed EXACTLY and done with a high quality torque wrench or you can easily strip the threaded holes - and then it's off to find the correct metric heli coil.... The carb passages, since they are soooo tiny can easily plug with varnish.

You also need to inspect and replace the plastic cam chain tensioner - they were notorious for burning out in under 10K miles.

Other than the engine and those four beautiful pipes it is the SAME bike as a CB350. Same performance, but oh does she like to sing. MUCH more rare - Honda could never sell them due to a much higher price.

Reliability gets much better as you go up in size to the 500, 550 and 750 - which is as boring as a brick and very common.

Your best bet to retain value - if you can find one - is the CB400F, by far. Either that or a nice sandcast 750, which you won't find.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 5:59 pm

haji3

Just so happens I have a 1977 CB750 sitting in my garage.....with 11,000 miles on it!! Last run was ......3 years ago.

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #8 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 6:28 pm

70's Hondas

Are you looking at a 350 four or a twin cylinder?
The twins have character but the fours are much more satisfying to ride.
I wouldn't avoid a CB500 or CB550, they are not bad bikes. Very smooth and reliable if they have been well maintained or properly restored.
Gas tank rust, carb crud can be issues in these bikes, as well as corrroded electrical connections. The SOHC CB750 could develop a really noisy primary chain which sounded awful at idle.
http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php
is a helpful site for the single overhead cam hondas of the 70's.
Yeah, the CB750 is a bike that "changed the world". It indeed was a revolutionary bike and a fun one two own.
post #9 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 7:28 pm

I was looking for a 65' CB160 (my first bike) or a 71' CB350 twin my second (new) bike but couldn't find one that I likes enough to buy. I did find a 72' XS650 Yamaha in great shape close to home so i bought it and love it. The 350 twin was a great motor, the carbs were just hard to get right and keep them that way. If I was going to get a 4 I would get the CB 550 or the early 750. Lots of guys are turning the 750's into cafe racers they look and sound great. Another 4 to consider is the Z1 900 Kawi. Have fun.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
haji3

Just so happens I have a 1977 CB750 sitting in my garage.....with 11,000 miles on it!! Last run was ......3 years ago.
Hmm, my daughter lives in Kenosha and is getting married up there in May, wonder if I could talk the wife into driving back with the grandparents while I rode a 30 year old bike back home? You were offering to donate it right
post #11 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
I was looking for a 65' CB160 (my first bike) or a 71' CB350 twin my second (new) bike but couldn't find one that I likes enough to buy. I did find a 72' XS650 Yamaha in great shape close to home so i bought it and love it. The 350 twin was a great motor, the carbs were just hard to get right and keep them that way. If I was going to get a 4 I would get the CB 550 or the early 750. Lots of guys are turning the 750's into cafe racers they look and sound great. Another 4 to consider is the Z1 900 Kawi. Have fun.
I could really go this route as well, I was looking at a 76 xs650 but I like the earlier ones better. Had also considered kawi as well, Life is full of tough decisions!
post #12 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Are you looking at a 350 four or a twin cylinder?
The twins have character but the fours are much more satisfying to ride.
I wouldn't avoid a CB500 or CB550, they are not bad bikes. Very smooth and reliable if they have been well maintained or properly restored.
Gas tank rust, carb crud can be issues in these bikes, as well as corrroded electrical connections. The SOHC CB750 could develop a really noisy primary chain which sounded awful at idle.
http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php
is a helpful site for the single overhead cam hondas of the 70's.
Yeah, the CB750 is a bike that "changed the world". It indeed was a revolutionary bike and a fun one two own.

The 350 that is available right now is a twin. I am trying not to buy something just because I have a , well lets put it this way< I am really excited about getting something right NOW. I have not scene it in person yet, hasn't run in 25 (with all the problems that comes with that) years but looks in pics like it was put up perfectly.
post #13 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 7:50 pm

I like the early ones because they looked and sounded so much like a Triumph.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #14 of 16 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 9:19 am

Quote:
Had a CB 350/4 many, many years ago. Found a small fairing the fit and looked good. With that addition and a couple of saddle bags the wife and I would throw the pup tent and sleeping bags on the back and go touring. AH yes, the good old days. Of course neither of us tipped the scales at numbers anywhere near what they say today. Anyway, that was one sweet running bike and would be great for around town. It's one of those vehicles that I wish I still had in the stable today. Kind of like the '56 Porsche Speedster that I had to sell 'cause we had kids! Of course now that the grandkids are coming along I'm glad we replaced the vehicles with children!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #15 of 16 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Hmm, my daughter lives in Kenosha and is getting married up there in May, wonder if I could talk the wife into driving back with the grandparents while I rode a 30 year old bike back home? You were offering to donate it right

As I am always telling my wife..."Sure....you betcha honey!!!"

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #16 of 16 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:51 pm

I owned a 1979 CB 750 F

This was the first year of the twin cam.

I raced this bike for 3 years. Beat the crap out of it. It was one very tough engine.

Handling was pretty good for that era. Had a front end wobble during 100 mph turns that would cause a little pucker.

Overall, a great bike for the era.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in