BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

What Sort Of Riding Protection / Leathers

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  dpancerz 
#1 · (Edited)
As a newbie who's recently been bitten by this sport, most of my research seems to net more questions than answers so I was hoping to take advantage of the vast amount of experience found on this site.

Quick synopsis of where I am as a rider: Presently don't own a bike and have zero seat time. Per some charitable direction from ElJeffe and others here, the game plan is to take the intro MSF class, buy a starter bike (something small and manageable), ride for a year, take the advanced MSF course and then - maybe look at buying my desired BMW (K1200GT).

I've contributed to this site for all the fabulous information I've already ingested and will be signing up for that beginners MSF class some time in March. On another post I was given a few great tips on buying a helmet locally which shall be done in the next day or so. The MSF class also requires over the ankle boots and gloves which possibly may be a separate thread if this goes well.

My specific question is this: What sort of riding protection should I be considering? Understanding that flip-flops, shorts and a tank top are sheer lunacy what should I be pondering for a future rider with these requirements:

• I live in Texas where we mostly have two seasons: hot & hotter. Today it's in the low 30's with sleet & snow, and even a fully optioned BMW with heated grips/seats won't get me out in this weather. I wish to ride mostly during the more pleasant months.
• I want to take long trips discovering this fine nation but plan on doing a fair amount of in town riding at first.
• Will be riding alone as the wife has no desire to get near any bike.
• Will likely refrain from riding at night and in the rain until a bit of experience is under my belt. I see all you out there shaking your head about my intention to try and stay out of the rain…
• Would like to buy garments of quality that will last but I hardly need nor do I think it’s appropriate for me to score the Rolls Royce of anything.

With that in mind I’ve been looking at two piece leathers such as Vansons or Alpinestars. Overkill for a fortysomething white guy who is a father of two? I’m certainly not considering the wild race suits, but would an understated Vanson ventilated coat simply be useless during a Texas summer?

What about Aerostich? Perhaps not the most flattering look but the idea is to ride comfortably with the proper protection in case of a fall. Goodness, their catalog alone is enough to overwhelm this inexperienced rider…

Sorry to go on for so long. Your direction and opinions are most appreciated.

Regards,

David

See less See more
#2 ·
Dave;
Your going to get a 10000000000000 opinions on this. Do a good search and you will find everything from a paper bag to full leathers.
I have been riding for 36 yrs. so heres my 2 cents. I perfer the aerostich, but then I do 25000/yr and rain to snow to 100 deg heat. But you put it on and your done. But it is expensive at 800$. But will last 20 yrs.
There is other VERY good equipment out there at alot less cost. Keep watching the site. Good luck, you have a great plan on riding. Too many try to go to a 1200cc with no experience. Take your time and you will fall in love with this great art of riding and this GREAT COUNTRY. My passion is coming out I will stop now.

Zeke

#3 ·
DAVID

I started out wearing leathers......but found that in cold weather....they DO NOT maintain any warmth at all. They're fine if you're sliding down the roadbed at 120mph after falling off your machine.....but that's it.

Manufacturers like BMW...First Gear...and others, all make top quality riding outfits that breath....are waterproof....windproof.....have ballistic pads in the knees....thighs....elbows....shoulders.....and the spinal area. AND they are warmer when you need it.

For sheer abrasion resistance.....nothing...absolutely nothing, beats a top quality heavy grain cowhide!

Take all these (if there are any more..) suggestions and decide which is best for you and YOUR riding style.

#4 ·
You may want to check the sites such of common brands such as Alpinestars, First Gear, Olympia, Cortech/TourMaster, Joe Rocket, etc... Then you have to find yourself a good helmet, Arai, HJC, Nolan, Schuberth, etc...
You have a lot of research to do so you might as well have fun doing it... Maybe the best advice would be go to an accessories superstore if there is one near you. Your BMW dealer also carries a nice variety of gear, other than just BMW, and should be able to help you. My dealer is very patient and knowledgable, and I bought jackets, pants, boots, and gloves from him. I bought both my helmets from members of this site, you may want to look in the classified as well.
Happy hunting!;)

#5 · (Edited)
Howdy David,
Welcome!

dpancerz said:
..... Presently don't own a bike and have zero seat time. Per some charitable direction from ElJeffe and others here, the game plan is to take the intro MSF class, buy a starter bike (something small and manageable), ride for a year, take the advanced MSF course and then - maybe look at buying my desired BMW (K1200GT).
I agree with Jeff, however would toss out an alternative. It is possible for some to start on the big bike and develop one's skills with it; .

dpancerz said:
My specific question is this: What sort of riding protection should I be considering? ...what should I be pondering for a future rider with these requirements:

• I live in Texas where we mostly have two seasons: hot & hotter. Today it's in the low 30's with sleet & snow, and even a fully optioned BMW with heated grips/seats won't get me out in this weather. I wish to ride mostly during the more pleasant months.
• Would like to buy garments of quality that will last but I hardly need nor do I think it’s appropriate for me to score the Rolls Royce of anything....
Hmmm.....IF I had it to do all over again what would I do?:
/start/food for thought/
First the bike, get that nailed down. If you go with the GT out of the box, then you need gear that will grow with your bikes, virtually, limitless potential. If you opt for the smaller "learning on" bike, then you don't need the most versatile gear.

For me, the new K-GT, so start with that because the wind protection and heated grips and seat will make a difference.

FWIW, my experiences during various rides are:
Hours below 25F with a low of 15F
Hours in 30'sF with rain and hail.
Hours in pouring rain in the 50'sF
Hours in temps over 115F

On the bike there are 4 temps, Cold, Cool, Warm and Hot. Cold starts at...say...freezing and drops, Cool is from freezing to around 60F, Warm is from around 60 on up to 90F and, you guessed it, Hot goes up from there.

Two conditions for those temps exist that you need gear for, rain (snow and hail) and dry.

That means there are eight different conditions that you're trying to deal with by some combination of gear.

There are local trips and touring trips. Local are generally predictable and compromises are less risky. Touring trips are unpredictable and changes in conditions must be accounted for so the equipment must be the most versatile.

Planning for touring:
-Get a Gerbings jacket liner, or other make. You can were it from 70 degrees on down to below zero. Recommend the reostat control.
-Highly vented two piece synthetic suit with a liner and good armor. I would prefer the liner be on the outside, but most are on the inside. The outside would increase the insulating properties.
-A thin one piece rain suit, no armor. First Gear and BMW have good quality ones.

This combination is small enough that you can keep it on the bike at all times. You will be "good to go" anywhere in any conditions.

If you plan on lots of riding in the very cold, hours below 20F, then Gerbings pant liners should be added.

Boots: Hot pair... vented. Cold pair. (love the BMW Airflow and the BMW Touring)

Gloves: Hot pair...vented. Cold pair. (love the BMW Airflow and the BMW Atlantis)
Again, these can stay on the bike all the time. It's the little things that I like, like the squeegee on the left index finger of the Atlantis glove that are... thoughtful.

A lot of guys will say the BMW stuff is pricey and that's true. However, it is about the same as the top of the line product from other brands. Also you can get BMW stuff, last years stuff, on clearance and at pretty good prices. Another plus is that the BMW stuff all "zips" together. For example, my leather jacket zips to my Summer pants. Truth be told, I had the BMW short zipper mate that comes with the pants (another thoughtful touch) sewn into a First Gear mesh jacket.

Around town, the BMW Summer pants, cargo style that zip off to shorts, are great. I leave flip-flops on the bike and when I stop, off go the boots, zip off the pant legs, on go the flip flops and I'm stylin.

/end/food for thought/

A quick PS on the "Rolls Royce" of garmets comment;
Answer this question: If I knew in advance that some thugs were coming to toss me out of the bed of a pick-up truck doing 80 miles onto the freeway covered with fresh gravel, what would I be wearing? They just might show up when I least expect them.

#6 ·
Welcome to the sickness...

This one's easy... wear protection wherever you DON'T want to regrow skin.

That and much else is a "personal preference".

Having come from the Land of Leather Lizards... (HD) I think leather is the best ... because it slides and grinds away, minimizing traction which can lead to a "tumbling" effect as you bleed off speed. On the other hand, it gets real warm where it is grinding away while protecting you... generally "burns" are easier to heal than broken bones. Wearing "layers" helps keep the heat issue at bay.

For me, 'First Gear' has reasonable clothing and protection at a reasonable price...as well as being cut for my "generous" proportions.

The cool thing about the "textiles" is ability to wash them at home and use in a broad range of temps.

Best advice, is to read... and make your own "informed" decisions..

#7 · (Edited)
Welcome, David.

You have limitless choices. My only suggestion is to continue to read, surf, go to bike events, rallies, etc. and see what others have. Talk to them. You'll rarely find someone who won't take all kinds of time to talk about their choices in gear... or bikes!

Also, while I agree that starting on a smaller/cheaper bike is good advice, you can start out on the big machines if you want to. Sometimes ignorance IS bliss. If you don't know why you shouldn't be "able" to do something, there's nothing to stop you from trying it. :) I know a few people who have started riding on the K1200LT. I had 3 weeks on a Honda 600 then went to the LT and I'm doing OK.

I'm in my second year of riding. Still using the cheap ($100) Tour Master three-season jacket and cheaper ($50) Field Sheer overpants. I'm ready to pull the trigger on something that will be more comfortable, more versatile, more practical, more stylish :rolleyes: , and.... more expensive. I'm looking for a one- or two-piece riding suit; choices include Aerostich, BMW, Olympia... maybe others. The cost of any first-quality gear pales in comparison to the cost of a single skin graft (or a series of skin grafts) or any ER visit.

#9 ·
Authentic BMW Gear ONLY

After two MVA accidents, I subscribe to exclusive BMW gear. BMW has thoroughly researched thier namesake merchandise from pants to jacket gear. Only the safest for my wife and I after two separate cagers got us. The cagers said that they didn't see me. They both got the moving violation.

Thankfully, BMW gear saved us from the second MVA. I have road rash from the first MVA without BMW gear. Noentheless, I live in hot and humid southwest Florida. XXXL in size. Like grif said, perspiration washes off, road rash doesn't.

Just a big Chicago Bear who works out. Go Bears!

Drive safe, my friends.

#10 ·
GT-1 said:
+1 for Motoport (or Cycleport as they're known now, but same web address). I have 2 of their Ultra II suits. One is full Schoeller Kevlar with body armor for Fall & Winter. One is their Air Mesh/Kevlar blend with body armor for Spring & Summer. The Air Mesh is probably the best for you in TX; it flows a HUGE amount of air and offers fantastic protection. I wore this suit on my 5000 mile cross country trip last September from Atlanta to Seattle and home to San Jose. The only time I regretted it at all was the ride from Missoula, MT to Seattle, WA, and even then not that much. Of course, the day started with 100 miles of snow flurries and 33 degrees and ended in 300+ miles of rain and 45-50 degrees, but with 100 miles of sun and low 50s in the middle. I just layered up and kept going, heated grips and seat on high, though. Otherwise it was a great choice for the other 4500 or so miles.

#11 ·
Good luck on your quest, I have bought 3 different sets of gear and still have not found the ideal set. They all seem to be great in the store then when you get out and start wearing them for awhile you find the short comings.

Originally I thought a 1 piece suit would fit my needs until I was out on a long ride and we stopped for lunch and did some walking around. It is a pain to get on and off and since it was hot that day I did not wear street cloths under it so needless to say it was a hot walk.

Next I bought leather It is great to get on and off quickly (chaps) but is not all that great in the colder and wetter times. Requires carrying an additional rain suit.

So now I am on my third set of gear. This time it is a 2 piece pants an jacket with removable liner. It has been great in the colder temps easy to get in and out of but this summer will be the final test I am hoping it won't be to hot.

The gear thing is an addiction always finding something cooler got to have. Well the wife says I had better get over it quick or I can use the gear to sleep in the garage. I will need it all as it has been it the teens at night here.

Final note 2 piece suit with removable liners, high Vis color (as someone told me you don't want to look like the road if you go down) and most of all good abrasion resistance and good padding. Here are some options to think about

http://www.actionstation.com/

http://www.gussetclothing.com/defend.html

Not necessarly these brand but these type of products.

Good luck and happy hunting

#12 ·
I still have my leather Schott, it has a lot of miles and I've really grown attached to it over the years. Besides, it's what Brando wore in "The Wild One" while riding his Trumpet. (That's a good reason, isn't it?) However, I much prefer ventilated textile jackets with armor these days. Right now I have a First Gear and recently picked up a BMW Streetguard 2. As someone else mentioned, you can get past years BMW gear on sale. I got last years model, which was priced down from $724 to $425, from A&S Cycle. The color scheme has been changed for '07 so they put the gray ones on sale. Their gear is expensive but on sale it's in line with anything else. At full price it's as much as any other premium brand.

Racers use leather almost exclusively but they need abrasion protection and leather provides that. They don't fall as much as they slide. When you and I crash we fall first and then slide. For that, you need impact protection and that means armor. Personally I wouldn't care much about the certification of the armor. Aerostich makes a case for their armor not being CE and they have their reasons. Check out what each manufacturer says and decide what matters to you.

#13 ·
I went ahead & tested a couple materials for you this past summer. Daughter & I were travelling about 55MPH & got broadsided by a car doing about 40 when he failed to yield. Witnesses/police report say we flew about 30 feet through the air, then slid/tumbled about 100 feet after that.
Here are the results:

Me- tenny shoes. One stayed on & one came off. Foot got tore up good on the one that came off. Boots for me from now on.
Her- also tennyshoes but both stayed on. No damage.

Me- good ole' Lee Dungarees jeans. Can't bust 'em. Held up nicely. No damage to legs, etc.
Her- designer style 'in' jeans. Ripped to shreds, some cuts & abrasions but not too bad.

Me- tank top. Yeah, it was really hot. I like leather but it was just too hot that day. Lost a LOT of skin off arms, shoulders, & back. It grew back but itches like crazy & looks ugly to this day. Probably will still ride with tank top again, it just feels so good (until you fall anyway...)
Her- Tank top under a regular t-shirt. First time ever I let her ride without leather jacket. She came out OK, but some cuts & scrapes.

Both of us- Full face helmets. Ground down all the way around, and mine especially on the chin area. I will NEVER ride without a full face. I like my teeth & jaw too much.

Leather jackets & gloves went flying when the trunk got busted open. Yeah, we would've been better off wearing them but there's a balance between comfort & safety. For a new rider I would tip the scales heavily toward safety, as I do with myself in the beginning of the riding season (here in Michigan we go for months at a time without riding).

Just my personal notes/opinions.

Rick

#14 ·
And opinions you'll get

David,
Too bad I didn't start my riding career with the same professional attitude that you apparently have. ...then again, I was a teenager with brain damage according Bill Cosbie's theory on why kids do dumb stuff.
I'm sure whatever you decide, it'll be based upon well researched data and your particular needs.

You asked for opinions, so here you go (my two sense is embedded throughout the thread links below), provided in case you haven't read them yet:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15330&highlight=kevlar+mesh

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15460&highlight=kevlar+mesh

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17307&highlight=kevlar+mesh

#15 ·
dpancerz said:
.... [Snip] .... My specific question is this: What sort of riding protection should I be considering? Understanding that flip-flops, shorts and a tank top are sheer lunacy what should I be pondering for a future rider with these requirements:

• I want to take long trips discovering this fine nation but plan on doing a fair amount of in town riding at first.
• Will be riding alone as the wife has no desire to get near any bike.
• Will likely refrain from riding at night and in the rain until a bit of experience is under my belt. I see all you out there shaking your head about my intention to try and stay out of the rain…
• Would like to buy garments of quality that will last but I hardly need nor do I think it’s appropriate for me to score the Rolls Royce of anything.

With that in mind I’ve been looking at two piece leathers such as Vansons or Alpinestars. Overkill for a fortysomething white guy who is a father of two? I’m certainly not considering the wild race suits, but would an understated Vanson ventilated coat simply be useless during a Texas summer?

What about Aerostich? Perhaps not the most flattering look but the idea is to ride comfortably with the proper protection in case of a fall. Goodness, their catalog alone is enough to overwhelm this inexperienced rider…

Sorry to go on for so long. Your direction and opinions are most appreciated.

Regards,

David
Since you live in Texas, and only plan on riding in mild weather, I'd recommend that you do NOT buy leather gear at this time. It's only the best protection if you WEAR it, and in that heat you probably won't! If you're SURE that you will, go for it.

At MINIMUM, I'd recommend a mesh jacket, with armor, a good helmet, good boots, and gloves. Here's some economy ideas for starters, that should last you quite some time, at least until your riding habits outgrow it.

For a helmet, I'd recommend a full face or a flip face helmet, NOT a three quarter or half helmet. DOT approval is fine, Snell not needed. Snell adds to cost. You can buy a decent helmet for a hundred dollars or so, a flip face version will likely cost twice that or more. I'd recommend that you shop locally for a helmet, and really take your time. Fit is VERY important for a helmet. Make sure it is pretty snug, but no real "hot spots", especially at the forehead or around the ears. Snug around the cheeks is OK, that'll loosen up. If it hurts in the store, it will only get worse when you are wearing it all day. Once you find one that fits, fasten the chinstrap, and pull up HARD on the back of it to see if you can roll if off your head, towards the front. If you can, try another brand or style. When you find one that fits, then select the color you want. For hot weather riding, I like light colors, although I'm not sure that it really matters.

For a mesh jacket, you can get some decent protection for a hundred dollars, plus or minus a bit, if you shop around. Check out online places to shop like www.newenough.com or someplace like that that has discontinued specials. First Gear and Joe Rocket are a couple of economy brands that provide decent protection, and should last for several years. These jackets look hot, but as long as you're moving, they are quite comfortable in sub ninety degree heat. Above that, you can splash some water on the jacket once in awhile, and still be pretty comfortable.

For boots, my first choice would be an over the ankle lace up boot. Red Wing makes a waterproof lace up work boot that works great for a riding boot. With care, it could last you many years, and many Long Distance riders swear by them. I use Cruiserworks slip on boots, but they are not nearly as safe, and they are about twice the cost.

For gloves, visit your local big box store (Home Depot, Lowe's, Sam's club, etc) and buy some work gloves. The gloves with leather palms, and mesh back are perfect. They won't give you as much protection as real riding gloves, but they are cool in the heat, and they'll take the hit of a minor tumble. They are fairly inexpensive, and thin enough to give a good feel of the controls as well as being very comfortable.

As soon as you can, I'd plan on picking up a pair of Frog Toggs, economy rainwear, sized large enough to fit comfortably over you jacket and pants. They aren't especially durable, but they are light, compact, and breathe well, which vinyl and such don't.

That should get you started, without breaking the bank too bad. I'd like to recommend mesh overpants too, but that's up to you. Many riders get by OK by just wearing heavy jeans. Designer jeans don't qualify!

If money is no object, by all means buy the Aerostitch (or Darian) from Riders Wearhouse. That is first class clothing, and priced to match, although then you wouldn't need the Frog Toggs. My concern here, is what if you find out that you don't like riding? Having two or three hundred dollars invested in a helmet and clothing that you'll never use again isn't too big of a deal, considering what value that it provides while your learning the ropes. Having a thousand or two invested might be a whole different story!

I agree with your decision to start with a lighter bike. If you can find one, a twin in the 650-800 cc range might be a good choice. There are several good reasons why a K1200GT wouldn't make a good first motorcycle. Among others, it has so much power, it could quickly get you into trouble before you knew it, and if it fell over, because you forgot to put the kickstand down or something, you could easily do a couple of thousand dollars damage to the painted plastic, even with it not moving!

This hobby is hugely fun, but it can get to be a bit expensive. Worth every nickle to me though! :)

#16 ·
You asked

dpancerz said:
As a newbie who's recently been bitten by this sport, most of my research seems to net more questions than answers so I was hoping to take advantage of the vast amount of experience found on this site.

.....buying my desired BMW (K1200GT).Regards,David

David,

Remember one thing, right of way means nothing when that blue hair kills your ass....remember Big Ben got whacked by that old lady in her Chrysler! Learn to survive, plan your escape, and NEVER think you have the right of way when you are on 2 wheels.

Buy a good mesh jacket with armor, the air blows thru it. Better than leather.:think: You add a vest if it is really cold. You open all the vents if it is really hot. The armor is better than leather when you nit hard objects like curbs. I've ridden with a ti-mesh from Triumph for years. Love it. Wife has one too. Features spine protection plus elbow protection and a "million" zippers to hold whatever. Great reflective too.

This experience lead me to the mesh BMW boots for summer. Amazing. Your feet feel so good with that air flowing thru, yet you have superb protection, reflective materials, and great foot traction when you stop. I have HD boots for winter and the mesh BMW for hot weather. I only wear the heavy boots below 50 degrees.

Buy gloves for low and high temp. Falling on your hands sucks.:eek:

Be certain your helmet fits and always wear it. The owner of BMW Orlando died due a head injury while moving a bike ON HIS LOT. For the sake of your kids, wear the helmet.

Go to dealer open houses. Why? They always offer special discounts for their open house. You also meet new riding friends. My pal got 40% off his comm system last time.

Shop our classifieds. I got gloves worth $100 for $40, a jacket worth $350 for $130.

Learn to check your bike every time you ride, just like a pilot.

Have fun and NEVER ride beyond your vision.

#17 ·
FWIW, the gear in my avitar was for a distance ride in late August through the deserts of Nevada and Utah. I had cold weather gear along as well since I was solo and only the helmet was common.

This combination would be good for knocking around Texas and the MSF course.

Arai Corsair helmet (exceptional venting)
First Gear mesh jacket (had the BMW short zipper sewn into it)
BMW Summer m/c (cargo style) pants (jacket zips to pants)
Oxtar Jupiter boots
BMW Airflow gloves

I also had a cooling vest that made a few of the Posse jealous that trip and in Texas wouldn't be a bad idea. It is the type made with Polyacrylamide crystals. Not too expensive, but very effective for the entire day.

#18 ·
Welcome

You are 1 year and 20 days older than I and I also have two children. Mine are 2 and half yoa. You will get a lot of good responses. I too have found that I bought riding gear, did not like it, put it in the closet just to get back in a couple of months and like it. Hate it, put it back in closet. That is my cycle.
Helmets- have a flip up but have gone back to 1/2.

Jackets-BMW Club also a Joe Rocket, which I will get out of the closet. Also have BMWs Airflow and Suvanah 2.

Pants- I have the Airflow by BMW, BMW summer pants tan, one pair of mesh and two riding pants from somewhere. I like my BMW summer and Airflow.

Boots-Sidi, in the closet I have the Airflow. Sidi I wear mostly.

Winter-I have and used last weekend is Gerbings suit. Jacket and pants, I also have the liner.

BTW, I live in North Florida, hot in the summer and can get cold in winter. Good luck.
John

#19 ·
What Sort Of Riding Protection / Leathers?

Greetings David! An outstanding question, sir. Since I live and work in SO KA, and wear a uniform doing it, I have a lot of experience with hot weather gear.

Cotton undergarments retain heat. Once wet, they stay wet. Polyester undergarments do not retain heat or remain wet--because they dissipate heat 10 times faster than cotton. Do a search for Underarmour and Coolmax products.

I like the Underarmour tee shirts and socks, and Coolmax underwear. All 100% polyester.

For high temp outer wear, I use a 100% polyester long sleeve shirt and jeans that are a 50/50% cotton-poly blend. I find that pants which are 100% polyester or 100% nylon are not comfortable.

If you are allergic to synthetic fabrics, then I recommend 100% silk undergarments. They don't dissipate heat as fast and the synthetic fabrics, but are better than cotton.

I recommend spending the money on a good helmet also. The major difference between my $250 helmet and $500 Arai was weight and airflow. That airflow makes all the difference when it's over 100 degrees.

Since I'm a huge pussy and don't ride when it's under about 40 degrees, I'll let the real men give you ideas on cold gear.

#20 ·
My Thanks To All!!!!

Guys,

I've purposely waited a few days to see if I received any answers and I'd say I definitely did! My thanks to everyone for their input. I'm slowly re-reading each one and studying the links provided or Googling the various manufacturers.

Bottom line, I'm pleased that I'm focusing on important things such as protection versus how many cup holders can be placed on a K1200GT! :D

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread as well as via PM. What a decent lot of folks we have on this site.

Regards,

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.