K1200LT Front Wheel Shimmy - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By mwnahas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 5:20 am Thread Starter

K1200LT Front Wheel Shimmy

Before buying my 2006 K1200LT, I rented a 2005. Although I loved it enough to buy a new one soon thereafter, the rental bike had a front wheel shimmy if I let go of the handlebars. It was startling. It would begin as a mild shake but quickly become a violent shaking of the bars and front end. It stopped immediately by grabbing the bars. The rental agency said it was due to the front tire needing replacement but I wasn't confident in the person who said it to me. When I got my new LT, there was no shake, but now after 4,000 miles since new, it happened.

Is this a common occurence for this bike? Does anyone know why? Is there a solution, maybe a dampener or something? Thanks!

Ride safe. - Deedub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 8:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedub
Before buying my 2006 K1200LT, I rented a 2005. Although I loved it enough to buy a new one soon thereafter, the rental bike had a front wheel shimmy if I let go of the handlebars. It was startling. It would begin as a mild shake but quickly become a violent shaking of the bars and front end. It stopped immediately by grabbing the bars. The rental agency said it was due to the front tire needing replacement but I wasn't confident in the person who said it to me. When I got my new LT, there was no shake, but now after 4,000 miles since new, it happened.

Is this a common occurence for this bike? Does anyone know why? Is there a solution, maybe a dampener or something? Thanks!

Ride safe. - Deedub
Hi, Dave - welcome aboard the e-schoolbus, where we have more fun than we deserve and even sometimes, git to eat cookies and milk (and eat crow now and then, too!!) and BBQ and *$$. Study hall is 24/7, as is recess!!

Lissen - to your question about the shimmy shake. Yup - they'll do it. And there are a myriad of reasons why and just as many solutions to eliminate it. You can start class by reading the threads listed down towards the bottom of the page of your post (similar threads), and also by doing a search on the various terms associated with shimmy/shake/wobble et.al. Some of the solutions have included: don't take *both* hands off the bars when decelerating between 45mph thru about 30mph; change the steering damper; check for proper tire inflation pressures; change tires; check the loading balance of the sidebags/trunk/top rack etc; change the steering head bearings; and some other suggestions that I've forgotten. The most common, however, is the tire pressure check and installation of a new tire.

Enjoy your new ride, Dave. Set aside some time increments (coincide with bad wx!) to take a look around the classroom here; you don't have to raise your hand - just jump in with any questions/suggestions/ideas/finds/etc, anytime. And most of all, ride safe.

Best Regards.
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:28 am

Smile

Ditto what our *$$ Guru Dick said! What the rental agency said could very well be the cause, and is in fact a very common one. But it is certainly not the only possibility! Dick covers the majority of them for sure, along with the typical scenario.

Welcome aboard!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 8:01 pm

Following the KISS theory, I fixed my "Shimmy" this way....

1. Don't take both hands off HB's if a. F Tire has 4K+ miles on it.
or b. Ever

2. When I changed to Mets 880's after the B-Stones wore out, the problem went away. I don't have 4,000 miles on the front yet either.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #5 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 3:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dick and John for the welcome and informed advice. And thank you TPDOG for yours too. Not happy to have this problem with the LT, but then again I don't generally ride around with no hands on the bars. I'll see what the BMW techs say at 6k miles, but have a feeling it will be "Cannot duplicate customer complaint" or "Don't motor hands-free." Good to know there are some other viable solutions though.

And TPDOG, I'm likely to be moving to Spokane this year. How do you like the area for riding? Sounds great for at least seven or eight months out of the year.

Thanks again! Ride safe. - Deedub
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:04 pm

DeeDub,

I spent 30+ years riding out of Southern & Northern Ca splitting lanes, commuting and touring.

We don't mind giving up a few months of riding and golfing for the splendid quality of life here and the absolutely great riding roads!!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #7 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:52 pm Thread Starter

That's what I hear about the quality of life. Looking forward to it. Have lots of direct family. May find new indirect family too.

Thanks again, TPDOG. - Deedub
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:55 pm

It's the front tire..... Of the 6 Bridgestones I've had on the bow wheel, once they hit about 2k they will start acting up.

I hear the Bridgestone folks are very interested in addressing the issue....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 7:31 am

Interesting............let´s hope they do.
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 10th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Re: K1200LT Front Wheel Shimmy

Deebub describes exactly what I experienced this morning for the first time 31 mph (GPS), constant speed, cruise control, snapping a closing tab on my jacket cuff. Tested-retested from gradually increasing starting speeds. The faster I went into the low 40s the less rapidly it developed. Ran out of secondary roads; at 70+ on the slab it was nonexistent. Decelerating with closed throttle, it set in again at 41 mph. I THINK this is a new phenomenon that did not develop gradually. A week before I found the front tire at 22 psi and brought it up the manual's recommended 36. Rode a few hundred miles but with wife up behind me I'm swear-on-it sure, if not metaphysically sure, I didn't take both hands off the bars at the same time . Front tire is the proper Metzler. The eighth of the circumference I can see in the garage looks proper; mold whiskers are still on the sides; but I've put around 4,000 or so on the since I bought it and don't know how many more are on the tire -- visibly, probably new when put on the market. (2007, 11,000+ at purchase, 15,000+ now). No symptoms I can discern of loose steering head bearings, loose shock connections; loading is the same as it has been since new (tools in the right pannier) and through the 20,000 I put on its predecessor (also a K1200LT circa 2005). Kinda puzzled that the APPARENT cause, due to juxtaposition in time, restoring proper air pressure, would start this IF there is truly no under-inflation damage to the tire.
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 10th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Your tire is still under inflated at 36 psi.
Patric and saddleman like this.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 10th, 2015, 9:30 pm

Here i a thread that talks about the fork angle change made by BMW on 05 and newer and may contribute to some of this tank slapping with no hands phenomenon increasing sensitivity to tire wear and pressure. I believe it also mentions BMW recommends Bias ply rather than radial on 05 and newer. Not the expert, just passing on a relevant thread i knew about.

Good information.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...s-05-09-a.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #13 of 14 Old Oct 11th, 2015, 3:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanhermit View Post
Deebub describes exactly what I experienced this morning for the first time 31 mph (GPS), constant speed, cruise control, snapping a closing tab on my jacket cuff. Tested-retested from gradually increasing starting speeds. The faster I went into the low 40s the less rapidly it developed. Ran out of secondary roads; at 70+ on the slab it was nonexistent. Decelerating with closed throttle, it set in again at 41 mph. I THINK this is a new phenomenon that did not develop gradually. A week before I found the front tire at 22 psi and brought it up the manual's recommended 36. Rode a few hundred miles but with wife up behind me I'm swear-on-it sure, if not metaphysically sure, I didn't take both hands off the bars at the same time . Front tire is the proper Metzler. The eighth of the circumference I can see in the garage looks proper; mold whiskers are still on the sides; but I've put around 4,000 or so on the since I bought it and don't know how many more are on the tire -- visibly, probably new when put on the market. (2007, 11,000+ at purchase, 15,000+ now). No symptoms I can discern of loose steering head bearings, loose shock connections; loading is the same as it has been since new (tools in the right pannier) and through the 20,000 I put on its predecessor (also a K1200LT circa 2005). Kinda puzzled that the APPARENT cause, due to juxtaposition in time, restoring proper air pressure, would start this IF there is truly no under-inflation damage to the tire.

This usually only occurs between 45-40 during a slow down with hands off the bars. They all will do this at some point in the tire life. Re-balancing can help, new tire usually fixes it until the tire wears a bit. Rule of thumb is don't let go of the bars in this speed range. I have been through 7 front tires and 13 rears on my LT and this has come and gone many times. The ONLY time a new front did not eliminate this was one that was slightly out of round. On the LT the cause is tire wear.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 14 Old Dec 9th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Just found your response. Thankee. I'm sure you're right. I still have the predecessor 2005, with a new tire; retagged it a couple of days ago and began running the aging gasoline out of it -- no shimmy at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in