Never thought about this one---wish I took a picture! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 3:44 pm Thread Starter

Never thought about this one---wish I took a picture!

This morning I stopped on the way to work to spend $40 on a tank of gasoline for the car. At the "island" next to me was a late model Goldwing that had more CRAP attached to it than I've ever seen...Not one but three cupholders (I can understand one for driver, one for passenger, but who uses the third one?), more auxilliary lighting than Clark Griswold's house in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, radar, GPS, I think a toaster, maybe even a mini-fridge...

ANYWAY, today it's killing me not to be on the LT because as I type it's partly cloudy and 57 degrees, although it was 33 this morning when I got gas.

Joe Goldwing had a modular helmet on and in the "flipped open" position, was talking on his cell phone as he stood leaning on the 'wing, gas nozzle hook engaged with that clip on the handle that keeps fuel flowing without you squeezing the handle as he yakked away.

30 seconds later, I hear CLICK followed with a sharp "Awww, F**K!!!" from Joe, look across and see that fuel has geysered from his tank, all over his bike, and his outfit, including an electric vest, exposed by his open jacket.

I think little of it as I finish fueling my 300C, watching him out of the corner of my eye, wiping gas off his paint with those blue towels, re-holster the gas nozzle, hop on his bike--still cussing and shaking his head, turn on the ignition--which gets my attention--and then take the plug end of his electric vest cord and jack it into his 12v plug.

WHOOOOOOSH!!!!!

I'm thinking some kind of short in the wiring of his vest, or maybe a spark when he plugged in, but the guy all of a sudden looks like a fat, dumpy, honda-version of Ghost Rider!!!

I stood there, jaw gaping, as he flopped off his formerly school-bus-yellow Goldwing, running in concentric circles, as his electric vest was casting off mostly blue flames and he was throwing off his outer jacket and helmet.

Truck driver next to him calmly pulled a fire extinguisher from under his driver's seat and sprayed the guy, who somehow was no worse for the experience thanks to three layers of natural-fiber clothes under the vest, which was really more a network of wires by this point.

Long story short, pun intended, if you're dumb enough to trust the automatic shut-off on a gas pump, make sure you wait a while for ALL of the spilled gas to evaporate completely before starting your motorcycle, and for heaven's sake, if you get any on your clothes...don't PLUG THEM IN.

Pete "now officially the second stupidest guy in Northern Dallas" Van Dyke

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 4:04 pm
fas

Talking good one pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
This morning I stopped on the way to work to spend $40 on a tank of gasoline for the car. At the "island" next to me was a late model Goldwing that had more CRAP attached to it than I've ever seen...Not one but three cupholders (I can understand one for driver, one for passenger, but who uses the third one?), more auxilliary lighting than Clark Griswold's house in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, radar, GPS, I think a toaster, maybe even a mini-fridge...

ANYWAY, today it's killing me not to be on the LT because as I type it's partly cloudy and 57 degrees, although it was 33 this morning when I got gas.

Joe Goldwing had a modular helmet on and in the "flipped open" position, was talking on his cell phone as he stood leaning on the 'wing, gas nozzle hook engaged with that clip on the handle that keeps fuel flowing without you squeezing the handle as he yakked away.

30 seconds later, I hear CLICK followed with a sharp "Awww, F**K!!!" from Joe, look across and see that fuel has geysered from his tank, all over his bike, and his outfit, including an electric vest, exposed by his open jacket.

I think little of it as I finish fueling my 300C, watching him out of the corner of my eye, wiping gas off his paint with those blue towels, re-holster the gas nozzle, hop on his bike--still cussing and shaking his head, turn on the ignition--which gets my attention--and then take the plug end of his electric vest cord and jack it into his 12v plug.

WHOOOOOOSH!!!!!

I'm thinking some kind of short in the wiring of his vest, or maybe a spark when he plugged in, but the guy all of a sudden looks like a fat, dumpy, honda-version of Ghost Rider!!!

I stood there, jaw gaping, as he flopped off his formerly school-bus-yellow Goldwing, running in concentric circles, as his electric vest was casting off mostly blue flames and he was throwing off his outer jacket and helmet.

Truck driver next to him calmly pulled a fire extinguisher from under his driver's seat and sprayed the guy, who somehow was no worse for the experience thanks to three layers of natural-fiber clothes under the vest, which was really more a network of wires by this point.

Long story short, pun intended, if you're dumb enough to trust the automatic shut-off on a gas pump, make sure you wait a while for ALL of the spilled gas to evaporate completely before starting your motorcycle, and for heaven's sake, if you get any on your clothes...don't PLUG THEM IN.

They keep telling us NOT to pump gas and be on a cell phone. Being too lazy to pump it and avoid a splash is amazingly dumb. Pulling the plug on an electric vest in the midst of fuel vapor is REALLY dumb. Kinda reminds me of the HOG riders smoking with their fuel tank maybe a foot and a half away.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #3 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Quote:

I am completely amazed. I rode by a rubber stamp factory once and thought my electric vest was really overheating, but this is above and beyond. Just goes to prove yet once again, evolution really is hit or miss.

Karl

PS: I wonder if this qualifies for the Darwin Awards?

K

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado

post #4 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 4:25 pm
rlv

We'll see how high you jump when you pull up to the gas tank to fill up and you get the most important telephone call of your life, either good or bad, and you hang the nozzel in the tank and leave it there.
Thanks for running to his aid, your a real bro, bro.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #5 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Bragging about my extraordinary level of restraint...

Both of my daughters have this wicked cold going around that is nicknamed "the Terminator" and I think they've shared it, so I am really worn down (well, and I had FOUR spinal injections last Friday...wah wah wah), so part of my holding back is due to physical exhaustion, but he gets a nod for the Darwin award and I get a nomination for "Incredible Level of Restraint" for not saying afterwards:

"Hey dude, nice 'wing, I LOVE the Flame job!"

post #6 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 4:35 pm

Quote:
I get a nomination for "Incredible Level of Restraint" for not saying afterwards:

But you do understand that if you had said that to the poor guy, it would have been like pouring gasoline on the fire! Not to mention salt in the wounds, kicking while he's down, etc. But you know what, it's only funny until someone gets hurt --- then it's hilarious.

I hear you about being run down. This past weekend, Lynn, my wife, inexplicably demonstrated all the symptoms of the heart attack that killed my first wife. Lynn's ok after 2.5 days in the hospital and the angiogram came back with no problems indicated. I now need to check into the local laughing academy for a complete nerve retreading.

Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #7 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 4:58 pm
rlv

Quote:
Both of my daughters have this wicked cold going around that is nicknamed "the Terminator" and I think they've shared it, so I am really worn down (well, and I had FOUR spinal injections last Friday...wah wah wah), so part of my holding back is due to physical exhaustion, but he gets a nod for the Darwin award and I get a nomination for "Incredible Level of Restraint" for not saying afterwards:

Well I do understand how proud that you are of yourself with that "incredible level of restraint".
Sure hope that your wife of gal friend tells ya tonight what a good man that you are and how proud that she is of you with that incredible level of restraint.
More so, I do realize how proud that you are of yourself with your incredible level of restraint.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #8 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 5:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
They keep telling us NOT to pump gas and be on a cell phone.
MythBusters did everything humanly possible (and then some) to get a cell phone to ignite open fuel. Can't be done. It's a myth. What causes these fires is an open spark. Just like what happened to this guy. It's not that having your heated gear plugged in is the problem. It's when you plug it in, or unplug it and there's a spark. Spark = Ignite. And then all that running around and screaming, and what-not.

I always make sure I touch the body of my cage or the keys in my pocket (something metal) to discharge any static electricity before grabbing the fuel nozzle. I suggest everyone forms this habit.
post #9 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 5:17 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I always make sure I touch the body of my cage or the keys in my pocket (something metal) to discharge any static electricity before grabbing the fuel nozzle. I suggest everyone forms this habit.
I may be stupid and not get the connection but where exactly do the keys in your pocket get their grounding from?
post #10 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 5:27 pm Thread Starter

C'mon Rich, Lighten up man!

Not sure what has you so worked up, Richard.

A. I wasn't critical of him taking a phone call. I am, however, pointing out that using a gas pump handle "lock" is dangerous, because it can cause overflow (been there, done that), that if you over-fill, you should be careful to make sure it's ALL gone before firing up your particular steed, and that wearing electricly heated gear and plugging it into what is essentially a cigarette lighter is a scary-dangerous thing to do.

B. This all happened in the span of about 15 seconds, although it probably seemed like three hours to the wing rider...

C. Being 20 feet away and on the other side of a large car added to the complete surrealism of the moment, freezing me in disbelief of what I was seeing...so I am sorrry if my standing there in complete awe instead of donning a cape and rescuing him instantly offends you

D. As I mentioned, the guy next to him extinguished him in about the amount of time it would have taken my decrepid butt to get to him anyway

E. I didn't pick up the next hose and start spraying the poor bastard, then go inside and buy a bag of campfire marshmallows...so you can put away your angst for the time being, sheesh!

(PS, my significant other IS throwing me a party for my incredible restraint, it'll be right after the medal ceremony, I'll email ya' the directions.)

(PPS, that's a JOKE, by the way...life's too short to get worked up over stupid stuff, sorry if I somehow touched on a nerve of yours by sharing my story...which by the way had a happy ending if you didn't notice--the guy was unhurt!)

Cheers!

post #11 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I may be stupid and not get the connection but where exactly do the keys in your pocket get their grounding from?
The metal in your keys is enough to discharge the static electricity. My Equinox gives me some serious static electricity. Touching anything metal gets rid of it, grounded or not.
post #12 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Just imagine how much more gas he would have had on him if he was sitting on the bike while getting gas like a lot of people do and it over flowed like that. Wow. I'd be just a bit nervous with gas on me! Hey stay away from me with that lighter! Thank God for the quick reactions and the presence of that trucker. Incredible, what a story.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #13 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 7:22 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
The metal in your keys is enough to discharge the static electricity. My Equinox gives me some serious static electricity. Touching anything metal gets rid of it, grounded or not.
ROTFLMAO.

That statement is another Mythbuster's worth. May I edumcate? "Static electricity" or "Static" is nothing else but either MUCH more elctrons or MUCH less electrons in a specfic place when compared to the surrounding of that place. Most of the time it is measured against "ground" because ground is something that can take a whole lot of electrons without getting too crowded. If you now touch your keys, you MAY equalize the number of electrons in your body and the ones in the key(s) *BUT* that has NOTHING, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH to do how your (electrical) potential is against ground. Since sparks always develop when a big differential develops you will have to equalize the potential between the items you or the stuff you touch comes in touch with. To make a long story short: If you want to avoid a spark between you and the car, you will have to touch a metal piece in/on the car. Now mind you, that has NOTHING do to in how the potential then of that "one piece unit" you and the car is compared to the ground (and gas pumps in this example are grounded). So if you want to avoid sparks between you and the car and the ground, buy yourself one of them grounding strips that hang down and touch the ground. They are made from rubber that has just a little bit of graphite(coal) in it as a conductor, or some of them made with interwoven copper pieces. But the bottom line: touching your keys does NOTHING to prevent a spark between you and the pump(electrical ground) for that you need to AT THE SAME TIME touch the pump and some metal in your car.
post #14 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

I'll share...

OK, Andy...you can have a medal too!

I'll have the "wife and gal friend" put on some extra cake!

...all in fun

P

post #15 of 57 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:36 pm

Quote:
Not sure what has you so worked up, Richard.

[. . .]

(PS, my significant other IS throwing me a party for my incredible restraint, it'll be right after the medal ceremony, I'll email ya' the directions.)

(PPS, that's a JOKE, by the way...life's too short to get worked up over stupid stuff, sorry if I somehow touched on a nerve of yours by sharing my story...which by the way had a happy ending if you didn't notice--the guy was unhurt!)

Cheers!
Pete,

It appears he pressed your buttons as well, my friend.

Has anybody forwarded this story over to Wendy at DarwinAwards.com yet? Even though this guy did not remove himself from the gene pool, he should at least merit an honorable mention for his noble attempt.

- T

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #16 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
But the bottom line: touching your keys does NOTHING to prevent a spark between you and the pump(electrical ground) for that you need to AT THE SAME TIME touch the pump and some metal in your car.
I respectfully, and totally disagree. And all without ROTFLMAO at you.
post #17 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:26 am

I agree with Andy. Touching your keys will do nothing to equalize the electrical potential between you and the pump (which SHOULD be grounded anyway) or you and your vehicle. The electrical potential (difference in electron charge) is what causes the spark and shock when you touch say, a door knob, after walking across the carpet on a dry winter day. And your car (or bike) traveling along with the air passing over it also gathers an electrical potential all its own. That is where the shock you get when exiting your car comes from.
When an aircraft is refueled the electrical potential between aircraft, fuel truck and ground are all equalized before hooking up the fuel hose...Aircraft to ground, truck to same ground and truck to aircraft. The only way to avoid a spark (when conditions for one are present) is to equalize the potential between you and the object you are going to touch.

Last edited by Morley; Jan 26th, 2007 at 2:36 am.
post #18 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 2:27 am

The funniest part of this story to me is some years ago Honda had an add campaign whose slogan was "Stupid should hurt!"

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #19 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 6:14 am

I have more sympathy for the GoldWing ( a truly awesome bike ALMOST as good as the LT) than I do for the dipsquat owner. It's OK that the doofus didn't fry himself too badly, but what happened to the bike? Was it alright?

Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT
post #20 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 6:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
The funniest part of this story to me is some years ago Honda had an add campaign whose slogan was "Stupid should hurt!"
Stupid hurts Stupid hurts
post #21 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 9:59 am

Pete,

It was a great story. I got a good morning laugh from it. If others want to criticize then .... f*** em!

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #22 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:58 am
fas

Talking Motorola warning

Quote:
MythBusters did everything humanly possible (and then some) to get a cell phone to ignite open fuel. Can't be done. It's a myth. What causes these fires is an open spark. Just like what happened to this guy. It's not that having your heated gear plugged in is the problem. It's when you plug it in, or unplug it and there's a spark. Spark = Ignite. And then all that running around and screaming, and what-not.

Motorola now prints a warning about cell phone use in fuel stations. Why would they do this Joe if the potential issue is an internet rumor? Maybe Motorola is playing CYA or maybe they know more about the FMEA [Failure Modes and Effects Analysis] diagram of their device than we do? Shell, in markets outside the USA, posts large signs about the same issue.

From Motorola:

telephone has not been designed or approved for use in potentially explosive atmospheres. Areas with a potentially explosive atmosphere are often, not always, clearly marked.
Potentially explosive atmospheres include:
Fueling areas such as gasoline stations
Below deck on boats
Fuel or chemical transfer or storage facilities
Vehicles using liquefied petroleum gas such as propane
Areas where the air contains chemicals or particles such as grain dust or metal powders and
Any other area where you would normally be advised to turn off your engine.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #23 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:33 am

Quote:
E. I didn't pick up the next hose and start spraying the poor bastard, then go inside and buy a bag of campfire marshmallows...so you can put away your angst for the time being, sheesh!
Hmmmm, now that appeals to me as an appropriate use of fossil fuel combustion. Not wanting to waste energy and being "green" and all that.

Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #24 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Hmmmm, now that appeals to me as an appropriate use of fossil fuel combustion. Not wanting to waste energy and being "green" and all that.

Karl

"Stupid should hurt s'mores?"

(uh oh, Richard will probably push my buttons some more! lol!)

As for the bike, it looked fine, the "flame job" was confined to the rider. Must have been the third cupholder that kept it from getting scorched!

post #25 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Motorola now prints a warning about cell phone use in fuel stations. Why would they do this Joe if the potential issue is an internet rumor? Maybe Motorola is playing CYA or maybe they know more about the FMEA [Failure Modes and Effects Analysis] diagram of their device than we do? Shell, in markets outside the USA, posts large signs about the same issue.

From Motorola:

telephone has not been designed or approved for use in potentially explosive atmospheres. Areas with a potentially explosive atmosphere are often, not always, clearly marked.
Potentially explosive atmospheres include:
Fueling areas such as gasoline stations
Below deck on boats
Fuel or chemical transfer or storage facilities
Vehicles using liquefied petroleum gas such as propane
Areas where the air contains chemicals or particles such as grain dust or metal powders and
Any other area where you would normally be advised to turn off your engine.
Maybe they haven't researched it: http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
post #26 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADIVER
Maybe they haven't researched it: http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
I think it's more CYA than anything else as previously stated.

Irrespective, great post Pete! Thanks for sharing and I'm pleased that no one was that badly injured.

Regards,

DWP
post #27 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 6:36 pm
rlv

Quote:
"Stupid should hurt s'mores?"

(uh oh, Richard will probably push my buttons some more! lol!)

As for the bike, it looked fine, the "flame job" was confined to the rider. Must have been the third cupholder that kept it from getting scorched!
No, no, just simmer down Pete. I'm not going to push anymore of your buttons. I do realize that you are a really sensitive type of a guy and I do not want you to have any more of those hot flashes that you tend to have.
I am here to say that I am sorry for my post. I slept on it over nite and thought about it. Even went back and read it again this morning, your exactly right, it is very funny. Guess that I was just tired last night and while reading it, I was just waiting for the part where you told about what you tried to do to help the man. With my being so tired and with my stupidity I want you to know that I plum forgot about (youtube) and all of those other places where you could probably sell something like that if you could of only had your camera or better yet video camera. Again, I would like to say that I am sorry for my first two post, I know that you have suffered a loss from this.
Pete, I have a little 15 year old nephew that goes around saying this very statement all of the time. "Stupid should hurt s'mores?", he thinks that it's so cute. And the way that he say's it, it is cute. He's such a nice kid too.
Again I do apologize.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #28 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Quote:

Touching small pieces of ungrounded metal will NOT bleed off your static charge Joe! You MUST touch something that is grounded, as the static charge is seeking earth ground. If you want to test this, on a cold day, shuffle around your carpet to build up a good charge, reach in your pocket and take out your keys, then touch one of the keys to ground, and it will spark. The charge built up on your skin will just use the key as a conductor to get to an available grounded surface.

Touching your car works very well, but you should touch bare metal if possible, like the bumper, or the fuel filler neck BEFORE removing the cap. The paint on a car is a darn good insulator in most cases. The tires have enough carbon in them to give a fairly high resistance circuit to ground, but the high voltage from a static charge will follow the tires to earth easily.

Static control mats used in electronics work have a fairly high resistance to ground through their ground strap, in order to bleed off static, but not be such a danger to you if you touch power voltage such as 120 volts. If the resistance was really low, that would endanger you.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #29 of 57 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Hunka' Hunka' Burnin' Reply....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv
No, no, just simmer down Pete. I'm not going to push anymore of your buttons. I do realize that you are a really sensitive type of a guy and I do not want you to have any more of those hot flashes that you tend to have.
I am here to say that I am sorry for my post. I slept on it over nite and thought about it. Even went back and read it again this morning, your exactly right, it is very funny. Guess that I was just tired last night and while reading it, I was just waiting for the part where you told about what you tried to do to help the man. With my being so tired and with my stupidity I want you to know that I plum forgot about (youtube) and all of those other places where you could probably sell something like that if you could of only had your camera or better yet video camera. Again, I would like to say that I am sorry for my first two post, I know that you have suffered a loss from this.
Pete, I have a little 15 year old nephew that goes around saying this very statement all of the time. "Stupid should hurt s'mores?", he thinks that it's so cute. And the way that he say's it, it is cute. He's such a nice kid too.
Again I do apologize.

huh??

If that was sarcasm, it would have worked better if youtube actually PAID people for videos (the only thing I can think your "I know that you have suffered a loss from this" crack might be based on...).

Although I did laugh at your reference to "those hot flashes that (I) tend to have..." I wonder if you intended the pun...(it was just about the only comprehensible sentence you wrote, by the way).

I'll just say "apology accepted, and one offered in return" although I don't think you meant it...because responding otherwise would just add fuel to the fire, potentially sparking more angry commentary in the form of "flame" thread postings, burning bridges along the way as we subject each other to a public roast, which could make us both feel like smoke was literally coming out of our ears!

Wait a second...

You don't own a canary yellow Goldwing, do you Rich?

Have a great weekend, my friend, ride safely, and don't let the insignificant idiots like ME get you so worked up, this site is supposed to be fun, fer cripes sake!!!

Pete

post #30 of 57 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 3:36 am
rlv

Pete, no puns intended in my apology reply, also, thanks for the acceptance of my apiology, your a great guy.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #31 of 57 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 7:51 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Never thought about this one---wish I took a picture!

Pete, this IS the post of the month! I've heard of someone blowing them self up with a cell phone--BUT this takes the cake!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #32 of 57 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 8:08 am

Quote:
Touching your keys will do it?
When two objects that have different voltage potential equilibrium is accomplished by providing a conductive path between them. Now, I'm not a static electricity expert -- in fact I've fried more than one CMOS circuit ... using the logic you describe above. If it only takes metal (not connected to ground) to discharge static, why is it necessary for static buildup on an aircraft to be discharged to the pump ground (which is also attached to earth ground)? The wings on the airplane are metal, but it's a floating ground (not attached to ground because the tires are an insulator, just like most shoes). My point is that if a significant static discharge has built up, touch the metal casing on the gas pump or that metal stranded cable (attached to the pump handle) because they are bonded to ground.
Now Joe, you being a pilot flying a GT ought to know that significant static can build up as you rocket past us LT riders, so take heed when at the pump or you might give us cause to call you flame boy.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red

Last edited by jgburns; Jan 27th, 2007 at 8:17 am.
post #33 of 57 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 8:18 am

Cool Clark Grizwald .....

Pete,

You should consider writing and publishing your memoirs. That was one heck of a descriptive in the life of Clark Grizwald. That's one for TV Bloopers. So funny even though a serious situation for Mr. Yellow Jacket.

Larry Seeman
Port Charlotte, FL
post #34 of 57 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulSoul
Pete,

You should consider writing and publishing your memoirs. That was one heck of a descriptive in the life of Clark Grizwald. That's one for TV Bloopers. So funny even though a serious situation for Mr. Yellow Jacket.

I'm only doing it if my newfound friend Richard will proofread and edit it for me.

And...if I can swim nekkid with Christy Brinkley, 'cause I have a feeling the Clark Griswold thing is gonna' be picked up as a nickname by at least one person on this forum (and as a pre-emptive strike, "yer mama, Anthony!")

Thinking back on it, can you see IF I had jumped to the rescue, with my string of luck? Joe Goldwing would have spun just as the YKK nylon zipper burt through, casting the flaming vest on top of me, leaving him standing there unharmed and sans pyrotechnics, I would have probably "stop, dropped and rolled" right into the remaining puddle of spilled gasoline, banged into his bike, knocking it off it's stand and ONTO my ankle pinning me there, causing more gasoline to spill out, triggering an explosion in the vapor cavity left in his tank, domino-effect blowing up the gas station tank, and all there would be left would be my size 13 black bostonian wingtip, extra-crispy, to memorialize.

lol

post #35 of 57 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:24 pm

Not a static expert either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgburns
Touching your keys will do it?
When two objects that have different voltage potential equilibrium is accomplished by providing a conductive path between them. Now, I'm not a static electricity expert -- in fact I've fried more than one CMOS circuit ... using the logic you describe above. If it only takes metal (not connected to ground) to discharge static, why is it necessary for static buildup on an aircraft to be discharged to the pump ground (which is also attached to earth ground)? The wings on the airplane are metal, but it's a floating ground (not attached to ground because the tires are an insulator, just like most shoes). My point is that if a significant static discharge has built up, touch the metal casing on the gas pump or that metal stranded cable (attached to the pump handle) because they are bonded to ground.
Now Joe, you being a pilot flying a GT ought to know that significant static can build up as you rocket past us LT riders, so take heed when at the pump or you might give us cause to call you flame boy.
but, I gotta agree somewhat with joe here... and if you don't, the next time you get up in the night and shuffle off to pee, you may reconsider about the time you make contact with that (relatively small and ungrounded) bathroom doorknob!!

Warren
Chipley, FL
'05 LT - Gold
She was a fast machine, She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen -- [ac/dc]

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Yogi Berra
post #36 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 1:59 am

Quote:
I'm only doing it if my newfound friend Richard will proofread and edit it for me.

And...if I can swim nekkid with Christy Brinkley, 'cause I have a feeling the Clark Griswold thing is gonna' be picked up as a nickname by at least one person on this forum (and as a pre-emptive strike, "yer mama, Anthony!")

Why do you have to start with the "yo mama" jokes, Clark?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #37 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 7:04 am
THE Democracy Doctor

MythBusters did everything humanly possible (and then some) to get a cell phone to ignite open fuel. Can't be done. It's a myth.

I was thinking, Joe, (and I apologize in advance for thinking, BTW) I have been running traffic control for the FD by 17 years now. I have never even heard of someone blowing themselves up with a cell phone--much less seeing it. And, 17 years covers thousands (?) of fire calls. Hhhhmmmmmmmm.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #38 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 7:07 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulSoul
Pete,

Larry, I agree with you. I would like to see the moderators create a "post of the month." Pete's post is the one for January!

post #39 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 8:12 am

Called CYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
MythBusters did everything humanly possible (and then some) to get a cell phone to ignite open fuel. Can't be done. It's a myth.

I was thinking, Joe, (and I apologize in advance for thinking, BTW) I have been running traffic control for the FD by 17 years now. I have never even heard of someone blowing themselves up with a cell phone--much less seeing it. And, 17 years covers thousands (?) of fire calls. Hhhhmmmmmmmm.
Most likely Motorola just wants to eliminate themselves from the "chain of events" of a lawsuit.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #40 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 9:49 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Most likely Motorola just wants to eliminate themselves from the "chain of events" of a lawsuit.
Wouldn't that be so America? A dude blows his shit up and sues everybody (that had absolutely nothing to do with anything)!

post #41 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 9:55 am Thread Starter

that didn't take long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Why do you have to start with the "yo mama" jokes, Clark?

Hey, in all fairness, both of our mamas are great people...they both got "inmate of the month" awards last year to prove it, too!

Of course now I have to be twice as vigilant to come up with a nickname for you, picking on your nose (again, pun intended) would be wayyyyy to easy...

Love ya' like a brother...a brother with a more personally-rewardidng career, more toys, a nicer house, better motorcycles, more money..........

Pete

post #42 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:05 am

Glad I did not disappoint, Pete, and thank you for opening the door for me.

Give me a call after a while. I'll be motorin' back to Dallas in a few minutes & will have the BT on (yes, another toy).

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #43 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:22 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Hey, in all fairness, both of our mamas are great people...they both got "inmate of the month" awards last year to prove it, too!

Oh my!....

post #44 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:57 am Thread Starter

damn karma

now just LOOK what happened to me this morning as I tried to dock my bike in my Condor wheel lock...

post #45 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Quote:
now just LOOK what happened to me this morning as I tried to dock my bike in my Condor wheel lock...

Is that a cell phone in your hand?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #46 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 4:36 pm

Thumbs down Sorry Dude--Not Funny.

Quote:

WHOOOOOOSH!!!!!

Sorry Dude, your story , if it really did happen, should have been written as a learning lesson. But as written, poking fun at a brother rider-suppose you've ridden Bemmers all your life?, is just plain wrong. No, cell phones do not spontaneously combust or cause fires. Every reported incident has been a hoax and disproved. Could it have happened--sure. Writing about it in a comical way is wrong-read-stupid. What were you doing when this fellow rider was on fire--looking for your camera? Next time you break down on the road in the middle of nowhere--you get my point.
post #47 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 4:58 pm

Incoming !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil
Sorry Dude, your story , if it really did happen, should have been written as a learning lesson. But as written, poking fun at a brother rider-suppose you've ridden Bemmers all your life?, is just plain wrong. No, cell phones do not spontaneously combust or cause fires. Every reported incident has been a hoax and disproved. Could it have happened--sure. Writing about it in a comical way is wrong-read-stupid. What were you doing when this fellow rider was on fire--looking for your camera? Next time you break down on the road in the middle of nowhere--you get my point.

and I thought it was over.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #48 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Quote:
I see from your profile that you are a retired LEO, and I respect that. As a LEO you are my brother-in-arms, so understand that I'm not bashing you, I'm just trying to set the record straight. . .

Can you honestly state that you have never joked about someone's misfortunes, or the way someone behaved on a traffic stop, or how someone must have been ______ (fill in the adjective) to have been involved in a wreck/crime/situation?

I rode about 500 miles this weekend, which means that I made about five or six trips to the pump (including start end end of my trip). EACH TIME I fueled the blue beastie up, I thought of the story and remembered to be more in-tune with the fueling process. Further, when I got back on the bike, I didn't plug in my electrics until I was away from the pump area. Running down the road, I saw two billboards for the upcoming film GhostRider, and the story came to mind.

So. . . true story or not, does it really matter? It reminded me of basic safety practices that I sometimes take for granted. If that doesn't qualify it as a "learning lesson," then what would YOU consider as one?

As for poking fun at another or writing in a comical way, how do you compare your manner of writing in which you basically called the author "wrong-read-stupid?" Sometimes it takes making light of something in order to make a point and set the lesson into memory. I don't believe Pete invented this methodology or is the first to have used it. Had the GL rider been injured or worse, then, yes, it would have been in very poor taste to make light of it. Fortunately, this does not appear to be the case.

Pete described what he was doing, and that the trucker responded before anyone else could. I have no doubt Pete would have responded had the need been there. I have no doubt that Pete would have put himself in harm's way to help the distressed rider had it been necessary.

Case in point: I came upon a vehicular crash site one recent day while I was out riding with Pete. I pulled over, and Pete was right there. We divided up what needed to be done, and Pete did not hesitate to jump in with both feet to help ensure the scene was safe and the injured were cared for, placing himself in potential harm's way in the process. By the way, Pete's not a LEO any more, he's a civilian.

I may be wrong, as I often am, but that's the way I see it.

[SIDEBAR TO PETE: My mama really won, but yours gave smokes to the inmates on the voting committee, and that's the only reason she tied. Got it, Griswald? )

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #49 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Is that a cell phone in your hand?
No, but that truck in the background is definitely not mine!

(That'll teach him to talk about my mama!)

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #50 of 57 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:59 pm Thread Starter

oh geeze

Quote:

A) I didn't suggest that it was his cell phone that caused the fire, it was plugging his electric vest--that was saturated in f**king gasoline--into his outlet that caused the fire. So you can take that part of your post, the "No, cell phones do not spontaneously combust or cause fires" and, well, do something with it...'cause all I typed was that he was talking on one instead of holding the fuel handle which led to the geyser of gasoline that soaked his vest (man is it hard not to type a disparaging word at the end of that sentence for emphasis...)

B) I clearly and plainly stated that the rider WAS NOT INJURED, so try reading the post beyond the title which was meant to draw everyone's attention so they would read it (by the way, the first half of the thread title is "never thought about this one--" which is why I end the post with the caution that you should never use the locking mechanism when you fuel up, and that people like me who never would have thunk such a thing should also remember not to plug in heated clothing in the rare instance that they spill fuel on said clothing)

C) We've already addressed the "what were you doing instead of helping him" issue...if you read the posts that followed, our UNHURT goldwing rider (and I have no bias, as long as it has two wheels I like it) was extinguished in less time than it would have taken me to get to him anyway

D) Thanks, Tony...yes, if he had been injured my post would have been of an entirely different tone---one solely of "a rider was injured because this happened, let it be a warning to others..." but since he was uninjured, save for his vest and perhaps ego, I found it fair game to write about it in jocular tone

E) If you're a former cop, and you never engaged in "Gallows Humor," then you were either fortunate enough to never have to find an outlet for horrific things seen on duty, or you truly should be wearing a cape, and the rest of us should sign up for lessons.

One of my professional mentors worked narcotics and outlaw biker gangs in New Mexico for 22 years, on Sundays he was the pastor of a church he literally built with his own hands...when a meth-head they were looking for, who happened to work as a custodian at a local school, was found in an empty 55 gallon ether drum (this, in the days before the "cold method" of methamphetamine processing became more popular), he coined the guy "Janitor in a drum." A female friend, mother of three and flight medic, had a flight where a guy on horseback discovered an angry neighbor had strung barbed wire about 8 feet in the air--the hard way. He became "Ichabod Crane." And a now passed Chicago PD Chaplain I met talked about how he had to help a cop deal with problems he was having after a suspect jumped from what he thought was a second floor window but was really a 20th story window--referring to it as a "bad case of cement poisoning" (a term I later laughed at when I heard it used in the Billy Crystal movie "Running Scared" which was filmed in Chicago). So, if a pastor, a mother of three, and a chaplain seek refuge in gallows humor, I'm guessing that you perhaps might have once in your career?

But it doesn't matter, because this guy didn't get hurt, but you didn't read far enough to catch that, did you?

Part of me wants desperately to type "I'm guessing you weren't a fucking detective, Phil, because your eye for detail is about as sharp as Ray Charles'..." (and yeah, I know he's dead, but it sounded funnier than saying Stevie Wonder...oh, dang, now I'm gonna' get slammed for disparaging the name of the dead, too)

Instead, I'm gonna' just shake my head until I fall asleep, smile inwardly at the people who posted on this thread who GOT THE HUMOR IN THE POSTINGS while being glad that the guy didn't get hurt AND made a mental note not to make the same mistake, and wonder what post will pop up next, based on a partial reading of a thread-starter that a bunch of others actually enjoyed...

Hell, maybe the next one will be someone from PETA threatening to splash red paint on my sheepskin seat cover because in their superficial glance at my original post they think I was advocating buring the WINGS off of golden birds and then beating them with cell phones...

"can you hear me now?"

WHOOOOOOSH............squaaaaaaaak!

LTFU, already!

P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in