Rider training on an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:14 pm Thread Starter
egs

Question Rider training on an LT

Hi folks - Just completed a deal with John T for his '02 LTc. Pretty bike!

I'd like to keep it that way so I'd like some input on rider training. Been riding an '86 Goldwing since June and am pretty comfortable with the beast. The LT does feel a bit more top heavy though and I feel a class would help. I've been to the MSF experienced class on a smaller bike and I'm not sure they'd have much to offer me.

There is a local group here called Rider Education who's ER class looks more complete than MSF. I also learned of the 'Total Control' advanced riding clinic [ http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/index.html ] offered by Lee Parks that will be offered in Dutchess County, NY. I got a lot out of the book but $295 seems a little steep for a 1-day class. Maybe it's a matter of getting what you pay for.

It's also my first bike with ABS....

So, any sage advice on keeping these bikes upright? (especially at low speed!)

Thanks - Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:37 pm

Congrats on the new LT, and welcome. Lots of info on this, do a search on low speed handling or I just dropped my LT and you will find tons of good advise. Biggest thing is get used to the brakes, touchy at low speed and be careful when slow turns and brake application. Don't lug the motor they like to run 3k to 8k, you will like it to!!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:42 pm

When travelling below 5mph make sure your front tire is straight ahead when applying the brakes! Park the bike on as level ground as you can find and leave her in first gear. I shut the bike off by keeping her in first and lowering the sidestand, Then push the bike foward till gear resistance is felt. Look staight ahead when stopping not down at the ground. Enjoy and welcome.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:48 pm

I think those classes are good, but I would have more experience with the bike before take it.
Make your money worth more
I did something similar few years ago:
http://www.viajareua.com/streetmasters.html
and I think it's was good for me, but I would have a better control first.
Lots of info here on low speed as sanjaun2 and damatson already mention, so start digging up old threads

Welcome the group.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 5:02 pm

Cool rider training

The best thing I learned in advanced rider training for the LT;

When at low speeds slide your butt to the outside of the seat--move it to the out side of the turn, or stand on your foot pegs and move your body to the outside of the turn. You will find better controll.

happy motoring
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by egs

I'd like to keep it that way so I'd like some input on rider training. Been riding an '86 Goldwing since June and am pretty comfortable with the beast. The LT does feel a bit more top heavy though and I feel a class would help. I've been to the MSF experienced class on a smaller bike and I'm not sure they'd have much to offer me.

There is a local group here called Rider Education who's ER class looks more complete than MSF. I also learned of the 'Total Control' advanced riding clinic [ http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/index.html ] offered by Lee Parks that will be offered in Dutchess County, NY. I got a lot out of the book but $295 seems a little steep for a 1-day class. Maybe it's a matter of getting what you pay for.

Thanks - Eric
Eric,
You should come to this camp. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...4&page=1&pp=10
I am the chief instructor for that. It is a four hours slow school. Yes, I know it is in the parking lot, but my training all has been in a parking lot. I have been a motor cop for 13 years and my teaching style is, sit up straight and lean with the motor. I am not into all the swing around unless you are doing a slow u-turn etc......... Check me out a this web site.
http://www.flsaferider.com/index.cfm?pageid=5
and check on this link an article I wrote about ABS for motor cops.
http://www.motorcops.com/police_trai...bs_braking.asp
Enjoy, remember to get any training will help. I am taking a ERC in March, just to keep my skills, riding and teaching on a peak, eventhrough I am an instructor myself. I think riders get in trouble when they believe they are the best or they know it all. And those persons I do not like to train. I enjoy persons with an open mind. That is what my school is about. Take what you want or leave what you do not want.
Good Luck.
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:42 am
fas

LT Tipsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by egs

Thanks - Eric
Eric,

KISS method works for me. My drops (3) were low/no speed, lack of focus usually. After four years of riding my LT, I suggest:

1. Always park in first gear.
2. Be absolutely positive your side stand is fully deployed.
3. Keep your SO off until you are ready to go.

Now, if/when you drop her, let her go. Many of our brotherhood have been hurt trying to catch the 800+# pig as she responds to gravity. Just get off safely. No biggie. The side guards do a great job.

I even dropped my GT! But, that was a HIGH curb and again my lack of thinking!

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:15 pm

I just finished the MSF class this past weekend. I rode street and dirt until I was about 30 and then stopped riding for 20 years.

I just got a new R1200Rt this past December and thought that it would be a good idea to get some refresher training for the street.

I got a lot out of the classroom discussion but felt that the riding was way too basic and introductory. I guess if you only pick up one thing it is still worth it but I was a little disappointed with the riding technique portion of the class.

I have sent off my registration for the Streetmasters day session. Based on the website it looks more like what I am interested in - riding technique refinement.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:36 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas

I even dropped my GT! But, that was a HIGH curb and again my lack of thinking!
Once a dropper, always a dropper!
Oh, wait a minute... I did drop my first LT too!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in