05 LT to 05 FJR communication - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Question 05 LT to 05 FJR communication

We have added a Pearl Blue 05 FJR with 10,000 mi. to the Stable for my S/O.

She loved the DL1000 V-Strom but being able to touch ground solidly was a big selling point for the FJR, among other things....

Ever since I coaxed her into selling her Harley and riding the Strom she has discovered what I am talking about in the handling and power department of what a real motorcycle is !! (*We won the WA State BMW rally field events on the Strom last year)

Besides seeing me waving frantically in her rear view mirror what recommendations do you have for bike to bike comm??

My LT has everything but the factory comm gear onboard... I was thinking
the Lower cost Baehr units for us both?

Thanks!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:50 am
Super Moderator

I don't think any Comm system gets you bike-to-bike communication by default. You have to add some radio (FRS, GMRS, CB, etc.) to broadcast between the two. So adding the Baehr (Autocom, J&M, or other for that matter) will give you the platform to get sound in and out of the helmets, but you'll need to add radios on both ends to communicate. If you want to keep cost down you should look into Chatterboxes - http://www.chatterboxusa.com/

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:41 pm

I just added the Autocom ProAVI, with the show price last month they cut off $100 from the price. You may still be able to get the show price.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Bike to Bike

There is an Autocom FS in the classifieds with all the bits. Motorworks in the UK have a 1200LT intercom unit for 100
http://www.bmwandguzzispares.co.uk/b...re&partcode=CA

If you ever ride 2 up better make sure that you can connect both headsets to both bikes.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Intaride.. http://www.intaride.com/company_info_intaride.html

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 8:57 pm

Talking

If they ride side by side and get a long enough extension cord they would only need one intercom unit and no radios.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #7 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:40 pm

I have the Autocom Super Pro AVi and am quite pleased with it. Headset speaker placement is fickle, but I am planning on using in-ear, so not a problem for me. You can get an Autocom Easi-Plus or Active-Plus if you don't need as many inputs.

For two-way, I use the ICOM 21 (GMRS/FRS) hooked to Autocom. You can find these new for <$150. I bought a pair for $250 delivered, brand new.

I have a second Autocom for my Harley, which I will probably drop in a saddle bag or tank bag so it can be moved to other bikes as needed such as during my upcoming SS1000 in March. For that run my buddy will use it on his bike just by hooking up to a power source.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 6:54 am

I think a recent issue of Rider magazine touched on bike to bike. I'll have to look at home if you need more information to see which issue. I know one of the rags has something in it.

Randy
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:26 am
Bandit

i believe this is the best turn-key solution, with integrated CB and plug-ins for other audio devices such as i-Pods, GPS and satellite radio:

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=24
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:14 am

The only intercom unit that I know of that also give you builtin bike-to-bike is the ChatterBox X1. My riding partner Nancy has an X1 and she seems to like it just fine. I have an IntaRide intercom that I've integrated an ICOM FRS/GMRS into, so we talk bike-to-bike via GMRS. Works great! The X1 is the budget way to go, as two of them will give you both the bike-to-bike comm that you're looking for, and an input for audio and cell phone also. The X1 installs easily as well.

Having said all of that, if you can afford two Baerh systems with a quality FRS/GMRS (i.e. ICOM), this is definitely the better route. It's just a matter of your budget. If this is the path you decide to take, Raffy is the Baerh/ICOM vendor of choice. He can give you all the tech support you need, and make sure you'll have all the right cables and such.
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:07 pm

This one seems to be pretty popular with the PWC and Snowmobile crowds. And they cater to the motorcycle riding crowd too. I bought a bike-to-bike Collett system once, thinking a friend I rode with would enjoy our chatter and would use it. Turns out, he has 'shot' himself hearing impaired over the years and is too vain to wear a hearing aid, so I nixed the system and sold it.

Just an FYI to add to your search for a system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
The only intercom unit that I know of that also give you builtin bike-to-bike is the ChatterBox X1. My riding partner Nancy has an X1 and she seems to like it just fine. I have an IntaRide intercom that I've integrated an ICOM FRS/GMRS into, so we talk bike-to-bike via GMRS. Works great! The X1 is the budget way to go, as two of them will give you both the bike-to-bike comm that you're looking for, and an input for audio and cell phone also. The X1 installs easily as well.

Having said all of that, if you can afford two Baerh systems with a quality FRS/GMRS (i.e. ICOM), this is definitely the better route. It's just a matter of your budget. If this is the path you decide to take, Raffy is the Baerh/ICOM vendor of choice. He can give you all the tech support you need, and make sure you'll have all the right cables and such.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in