Increased Visibility of Front Turn Signals - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Increased Visibility of Front Turn Signals

On a recent ride, a friend told me he had trouble seeing my turn signals in his rear view mirrors due to the light from my HID & PIAA 1100x lamps. I upgraded the front turn signals to very bright LEDs that throw a lot of light sideways and back to the reflector. I am concerned as to whether that is enough.

I am thinking of some sort of small, unobstrusive, clean-lloking, bright, forward-facing amber LED to mount on the bottom edge of the mirrors. I can tap these right into the Muth wiring.

I addressed rear visibility by upgrading to LEDs, strobing the top case rack LED bar, and adding LED signals left and right of the LP. The bike already had Muth mirrors and supplemental LED brake lamps (w/flash) under the tail lights (can't remember what they are called. On the tip of my tongue, which means I will remember the very instant I hit [submit] ).

Any concerns? Recommendations? Pix of completed installs?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 5:05 pm

Keep it up Tony

... and your LT is going to look and sound like the alien mother ship from the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

So, do the air horns on order emit a spectrum of frequencies?

... if only it could fly ... wait it can!

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgburns
... and your LT is going to look and sound like the alien mother ship from the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

So, do the air horns on order emit a spectrum of frequencies?

... if only it could fly ... wait it can!
You should see what I can do with a mound of mashed potatos!

On a serious note, I was reading on causes of collisions with autos/trucks and motors. One of the factors was oncoming cagers not being able to see the motor's front turn signals. The comment by my friend underlined that point.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Tony - ping Ari. He mounted some flexible lighting strips onto the front of his mirrors and they activate along with the turn signals. Not positive, butt I think I saw somethang similar in the JC Whitney catalog right after Ari posted his mod. I did a search earlier, butt couldn't locate the thread.

I'll be interested if you end up with somethang similar - I'd like to do that too, to go with the Muth mirror system that ole Toad has.
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
On a serious note, I was reading on causes of collisions with autos/trucks and motors. One of the factors was oncoming cagers not being able to see the motor's front turn signals. The comment by my friend underlined that point.
Seriously, do everything you can to be seen. Then only 10% of the cagers will "not see you."

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 6:43 pm

This is what Ari has on the front of his mirrors. (hope you don't mind, Ari )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0660_small.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	9481  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 7:09 pm

My lights

Here is a pic of the LED lights that I have added to the front of my bike. They are pretty bright as you can tell from how bright the background is in the picture. They shine both forward and to the side. They were less than $5 each. I have them wired so that they function as running lights and flash off when the turn signal is on. Not unlike the wig-wag effect of the wings of gold. They just snapped in place but I secured them with a zip tie just to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0293.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	9484  

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 7:22 pm

Our Tucson LEO's have some INCREDIBLY bright LED aux turn signals mounted on the rear of their vintage KZ1000's.

Next time I see one I'm gonna' do a citizens arrest and pull 'em over and find out where they got 'em.

The KZ1000's - not the turn signals!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Our Tucson LEO's have some INCREDIBLY bright LED aux turn signals mounted on the rear of their vintage KZ1000's.

Next time I see one I'm gonna' do a citizens arrest and pull 'em over and find out where they got 'em.

The KZ1000's - not the turn signals!
I kinda figgerd that, Ron.

The back of the LT lights up really well, it's the front turn signals that concern me. Between the HID and PIAA lamps, the front signals get lost in the haze. Need something bright to really punch through. I suppose I could put amber lamps in the Motolights and individually relay them to the turn signals.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 9:19 pm

I put 6 'super bright' LEDs in my turn signal housings as 'running lights'. They're 'OK' - nothing special. I'm thinking of adding one or two of these . My thinking was to augment the 'running lights', but it'd be trivial to use them as turn indicators instead or maybe even as well.

Way early in the 'thinking stage' of this. Not even to a preliminary design idea. Gotta get a couple and play with 'em.

EDIT:
Found this posting here on another site. I may be smoking my socks by thinking 'LED'. Looks like even a 'halogen' 1157 would be e better way to go. See this posting from yet another board on that idea.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Last edited by Zotter; Jan 20th, 2007 at 10:02 pm.
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 9:37 pm

I installed the Vectra lights http://www.customdynamics.com/kisan_vectra_light.htm
under the Muth mirrors. They consist of 5 red LEDs in the rear and 5 yellow LEDs in the front and one yellow LED on the end. Check out the site to see how they look.

My 2 cents is that they don't seem to put out much light, but it is noticable mostly due to thier location. I personally do not see the front turn being an issue for people in front of you. However for those along side and behind that is a different story, hense the success of the Muth. But more light can not hurt. If you want to improve the situration I believe that the Mercedes type that are shown in the post above that attach to the back of the mirror are the way to go. You can't miss these.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in