Anyone in nth half USA park perm. outside? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Anyone in nth half USA park perm. outside?

Well, its time to pull in the belt a bit and I am looking at all my costs. I have decided to keep the LT (this was a mature, objective decision :-), the wife has to sell her pristine black Miata) but I have to look at the garaging of the bike which here in Philly costs me $120/mth. We have a single, "just" off-street car space in a long row of 3 storey condos.

My only real option is to park the bike outside permanently, hard against the fence with the car parked up against it most of the time (and every night). Some other things I would do are:
1. I have a full Dowco? cover which I use now in the public garage which leaves only the bottom 1/3 of the wheels exposed. I would use this all the time. It has two reinforced eyelets so I'll put a small wire/lock thru to make the cover harder to rip off.
2. I would probably chain (heavy) the bike to the iron railing of the fence for a bit of added security (token only still).
3. I probably won't do this until April so the worst of the winter weather is over (it just started snowing in the last 5 mins for the first time this winter).

I believe my insurance assumes its parked on the street (only private garages are counted as "garaging" in the Philly metro area with my company), so that should be OK. The Dowco cover has a breathing overlap so it shouldn't sweat in the hot weather. One good thing is the location is close to an outside power point so I can run the Battery Tender during winter. Over the last two winters I have lost a battery each year thru not being able to use the tender in the public garage.

So, any suggestions or experiences to help?

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:34 am
Bouncer

You might look into a storage locker close by. Might be half the cost of your garage. I used to do that with my car. It was cheaper than parking at the Airport, so I rented a storage locker big enough for my car, and it was a half mile walk to the airport terminal. Sucked in the rain, but I got to know the rental car bus driver and he'd stop if he saw me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:09 am

Not sure in you can park a motor vehicle in a storage locker in PA. I know for a fact that it is not permitted in CA because of the gasoline and oil.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 4:34 pm

Don't you have a sliding glass door on the house?
Pull it inside.
Rock
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 5:03 pm

At last week's motorcycle show here in Toronto, one vendor had a motorcyle storage system consisting of a cover that was affixed to a collapsible metal framework which allowed the bike to stored under the cover with the whole rig extended to cover the bike in about 10 seconds. The fact that the bike is "out of sight", plus being shielded from the elements made this product very appealing. Here is a link to the same type of storage system: http://www.thebikebarn.net/tourermodel.html

Another option that I am considering is an interesting storage solution which permits the bike to be covered by a clear plastic bubble with an air pump recirculating air so as to avoid a moisture build up and the resulting condensation. I saw this rig at a local Harley dealer, with a cost of about $300 (CAN $), if I recall correctly. Here is a link to the same type of product: http://www.autotoystore.com/carcapsule.html. With this application, one must have access to electricity. This link shows several different models and sizes and I believe that it would provide an economical, relatively secure storage solution which would eliminate (or at least reduce) potential corrosion over the L-O-N-G winter layoff for those of us who are not fortunate enough to live in a year-round riding environment. The Green Eyed Monster hates all of you have live/ride in Florida and Schwartzeneger Land.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 5:49 pm

I don't know if this would work for you, I have Harley riding friend who doesn't have a garage,
he puchased an enclosed trailer he now parks in his driveway and it functions as his garage.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 7:16 pm

The enclosed trailer is a great idea -- you get the trailer for other uses, AND you get a better, more secure storage for your bike.

Parked outside, I'd be concerned about bugs and larger critters over-wintering in the bike.

There was a recent discussion of the Harley bubble product. Having seen it in person, I don't think it would survive outside very long, plus it's see-through.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 8:27 pm

If you are going to leave the bike in this covered state for the winter take the battery out and keep the battery hooked to the tender somewhere around the house. I have a 14' enclosed trailer that sits in my driveway that serves as an extra garage.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Why do you take the battery out? I have never lost a battery while on a Battery Tender and the battery in the bike.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 9:27 pm

If your not going to use the bike and let it sit out in the cold/snow thats hard on the battery, bring it inside for a little R&R it will thank you, also make the bike harder to steal?

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I don't know if this would work for you, I have Harley riding friend who doesn't have a garage,
he puchased an enclosed trailer he now parks in his driveway and it functions as his garage.
Shotgun (USMC DI) RIP used to do the same thing. He had concreted a pipe into the ground with a hitch ball on it, would lock the trailer to it.
Rock
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:00 pm

I park mine in the driveway with a cover over it most of the time (Central Virginia). I've done it for years with boats, and it seemed to work just fine last winter with my first M/C. So far no problems with this one either.
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 7:09 am

I'm not far north, nor in a metro area, but my bikes have mostly lived in the yard. I keep the LT covered when not in use. More than I can say for the Vstrom. So far, the cold weather is rough on the battery. That is about the biggest issue. A neighborhood cat likes to sleep on the seat, if I don't pull the cover all the way down. Rain beats mud up on the wheels and cover, makes it look pretty ratty.

But I don;t see a problem with outdoor bike storage. It would be nice to have a garage, but just not in the works right now.

Randy
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:05 am
fas

Cool why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
Why do you take the battery out? I have never lost a battery while on a Battery Tender and the battery in the bike.
Ralph,

At least pull the ground wire. The bike has electronic drain sucking your battery. Ideally, take the battery inside. It only takes a few minutes to jerk it out. My LT consumed three batteries in four years, tended.

My 100 year old home along the world's 12th largest lake is great, but we too are garage impaired. No heat, wet, nasty little OLD garage. I feel your pain.

Next time we visit SO's Sis in Lancaster, we'll look you up. He rides an R, see shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW GT and Dan, Georgia, Rob, Sue_7.2006.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	9275  

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in