• 1 Post By ValkyrieRider
  • 1 Post By wethead
  • 1 Post By PatM55
  • 1 Post By FridayBob
  • 1 Post By DanDiver

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Motorcycle boots

I've been riding for 45 years and I've always worn regular boots -- harness boots, Wellingtons, combat boots, etc. I'm thinking about finally trying to "motorcycle" boots, like those Alpinestars Ridge boots. Do any of you wear motorcycle boots or just stick with regular boots. Any particular advantages to motorcycle boots other than they look cooler (and some have armor and toe pads for the shifter)?

Anyway, as always, your opinion helps.

Thanks.
kbob12 likes this.

2011 R1200RT (Titanium gray)

Past Rides:
2007 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2008 Honda GL1800 (Totaled by cager)
1994 Honda PC800 (Pacific Coast)
1984 Honda CB700NC (Nighthawk)
1980 Suzuki GS550 (one of my least favorites)
1977 Suzuki GT750 ("Water Buffalo")
1974 Yamaha RD350 (fast! but vibration machine!)
1973 Kawasaki 90 (my first bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 11:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Motorcycle boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppger View Post
I've been riding for 45 years and I've always worn regular boots -- harness boots, Wellingtons, combat boots, etc. I'm thinking about finally trying to "motorcycle" boots, like those Alpinestars Ridge boots. Do any of you wear motorcycle boots or just stick with regular boots. Any particular advantages to motorcycle boots other than they look cooler (and some have armor and toe pads for the shifter)?

Anyway, as always, your opinion helps.

Thanks.
For the last 30+ years of riding I have worn Alpine Stars, and Gaman motorcycle boots due to their padding, and durability.
I also wear full leathers, and an Arai helmet because I feel naked without the gear! It does get hot at times in southern California.
(I should mention-ten plus years prior, I wore H-D boots. They were very comfortable with an inch plus heel to help my 30" inseam.
The only problem with them was the big lower buckle because it stabbed into my ankle on one quick get off. I cut those buckles off-end of problem, until I was in Italy in the '80s. I was able to have a custom pair of Gaman boots made for my 10EEEEEE feet, so I ended up buying a leather 2-piece suit, too. I couldn't wear anything less since then, and the Alpine Stars are a step up from those days.)
joekahng likes this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kbob12; Sep 20th, 2018 at 9:25 pm.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 11:12 am

Garage

I wear tactical boots because no one makes riding boots or riding shoes in a men's US size 15.
Sometimes for around town or a short ride to work, I take a risk and wear street shoes or sneakers, but I'm always aware of the risk.

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 11:46 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brock View Post
I wear tactical boots because no one makes riding boots or riding shoes in a men's US size 15.
Many years ago, I rode with German Para Boots, as the genuine motorcycle boots were not quite as good. (Thickness of the leather, construction, durability etc.)

I now ride with Daytona Boots, and they are great. I take a Uk 13, European 49 & US 14, with wide feet. The Daytona boots have lasted me for a number of years, and I replace them when they either start to leak, or the soles are wearing out. I am currently on my second set.

I have checked their website, and they go to just over US 15. (https://www.daytona.de/en/boots/SHOE-SIZE)

The boots I wear are the Road Star GTX, which goes to European 51. There are a number of different options including the Big Travel GTX, which is especially for large feet.

The US dealer is: www.helimot.com

They are expensive, but I think they are worth it.

Best regards
Sleuth
JNW003 likes this.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:01 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I've been wearing the Alpinestars WEB Gore-Tex boots for over 10 years now. They are waterproof & I get about 80,000 riding miles out of a pair.
meese, AttackPug and kbob12 like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:35 pm

i've dabbled in daytona (great), alpinestars (nice~), dainese (on point for me), rukka, klim, and etc....
each is diff, so.... but i find myself with dainese shoes/boots (fits my feet well), and dainese for summer/rukka for winter apparels to my liking... at least that is what is filling up my closet.

yeah, gear up guys, skin-grafting isnt fun nor cheap....
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Garage

I've had one pair of BMW Allround boots the past several years, high ones with extra shin padding, they are very comfy and I have hiked a couple miles in them before getting to Gila Ruins in NM. What really makes them work for me are the BMW Functional socks, they are very comfy and my feet don't get damp and they wash out nicely and dry quickly. I probably have ten pair, lol.
DanDiver likes this.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Rode alpine stars for years now wear SIDI rain. Great boot, takes a long time to break in but now I forget I have them on.
due for new pair after 10 years and many many many miles. I did wear engineer boots for a long time when i was younger. They were ok, I just think the motorcycle specific boots feel better, better grip on the pegs, the shifter pads, protection. over all if you ride alot just a better way to go.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Good boots are like a helmet to me ... wouldn’t consider riding without them. Alnestars for me only because they were always my boot of choice in the dirt so when moving over to dual sport riding, I went with something I knew. I always look at these threads because some day these 7 year old boots might wear out and I am open to switching to a more street oriented boot after ditching the KTM690 for RT’s 6 years ago.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 9:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
Many years ago, I rode with German Para Boots, as the genuine motorcycle boots were not quite as good. (Thickness of the leather, construction, durability etc.)

I now ride with Daytona Boots, and they are great. I take a Uk 13, European 49 & US 14, with wide feet. The Daytona boots have lasted me for a number of years, and I replace them when they either start to leak, or the soles are wearing out. I am currently on my second set.

I have checked their website, and they go to just over US 15. (https://www.daytona.de/en/boots/SHOE-SIZE)

The boots I wear are the Road Star GTX, which goes to European 51. There are a number of different options including the Big Travel GTX, which is especially for large feet.

Best regards
Sleuth
+1 on the Daytona GTX. All day comfortable on the bike and can easily be walked in off the bike. Going on 10 years with mine and still holding up strong.
Sleuth and JNW003 like this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 9:45 am

I wear Bates tactical 8". Since most of my riding is commuting to work and I do not want to change shoes, I need a boot that is comfortable all day and works with jeans or Khakis. They are light weight, durable, breathable, provide good ankle protection and support, comfortable all day, available in Gore-Tex, reasonably priced, and can be purchased nearly anywhere.

There are reasons why they are popular with EMTs, Fire Fighters, Police, and Correctional Officers. I am on my 3rd year with them and they are holding up well.

2016 R1200RT
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2008 Yamaha Zuma (wife's ride but I maintain)
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 3:08 pm

Talking Re: Motorcycle boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post

Best regards
Sleuth
Another +1 for Daytona boots. I wore them all day every day for years when I earned a living riding bikes, super comfy. And Daytona will replace worn out soles at about 1/3 of the cost of new boots.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Well, I already have LE side zip duty boots, good ankle height leather hiking boots, and up to the calf height harness boots for varying degrees of coverage. The side zip LE boots have ballistic nylon on the uppers so they aren't too hot, but the tall harness boots are very hot here in AZ summer. So I ordered a pair of Alpinestars Ridge 2 Air boots. Figured I'd get something to be more comfortable in the heat 3/4 of the year here. I'll see how they do. If I like them, maybe I'll order their waterproof pair for cooler weather riding. I'll post my impressions of them when they arrive and I've had a chance to put some miles on them.

Past Rides:
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 6:38 pm

First of all, since your question was about motorcycle specific boots vs street shoes/boots, I will join with a definite yes.

A quick side note here: Have you ever had a shoe lace loop get stuck on the shift lever or break lever? Well I have. This will not happen with lace-less boots!

Back to the boots, I have some BMW boots and the features that I like and suspect will be found in most boots, are a good level of water proofing as well as wind proofing. Of course, this goes beyond the obvious feature of the extra protection that I hope I never need. I have ridden on days with temperatures between 35F to 70F, and other days with temps much higher and in rain and the boots, along with a good pair of socks, keep my feet comfortable through the entire range of conditions. With respect to walking around in the boots, I will walk a bit but if I think that I will be on my feet for a while while at my destination, I will bring a pair of street shoes.

I suspect that the boots that you find good for you will depend on your personal preferences, but the high value features for me are comfort and protection without needing to care about changing weather conditions. The value of comfort was reinforced for me when I found myself transporting a bike for about 100 miles and I failed to bring my boots. The ride took me through some varying conditions and my feet were starting to chill a bit with the air permeating my hiking books and I really wish I had remembered my riding boots.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 8:07 pm

I bought a pair of Corbin Roadmaster boots in 1998 ---- still use them almost every ride, and prefer them over some newer styles. These Corbins are out of production but a place in NC sells them online in assorted sizes for $99. I think I paid about twice that much in 98. They are waterproof (I keep em treated) have a side zip with a velcro flap, (which is still good on both boots) and a thick sole and heel which helps me flatfoot my bike.
Here is the link : Corbin Boots Sale
ppger likes this.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
I bought a pair of Corbin Roadmaster boots in 1998 ---- still use them almost every ride, and prefer them over some newer styles. These Corbins are out of production but a place in NC sells them online in assorted sizes for $99. I think I paid about twice that much in 98. They are waterproof (I keep em treated) have a side zip with a velcro flap, (which is still good on both boots) and a thick sole and heel which helps me flatfoot my bike.
That page comes up, but there's nothing to click on it to open it up and see about boots.

Past Rides:
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
I got an answer back via email. Just wondering, do the Corbin boots run normal as far as sizing? I wear a 43 in the Alpinestars. Think I should go with 9.5 or 10 in the Corbin?

Past Rides:
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Cool Re: Motorcycle boots

Quote:
I got an answer back via email. Just wondering, do the Corbin boots run normal as far as sizing? I wear a 43 in the Alpinestars. Think I should go with 9.5 or 10 in the Corbin?
Yea, he's a shoe repair shop that has a previous order of these boots from Corbin --- he is very quick about replying by email or you can call. my 20 year old boots are a 9.5, but they have always been tight; they have loosened up over the years. This time, I ordered 10 B, and if too loose I will put in an insert or wear thicker socks. Euro 43 equals 9.5, and I have some 44's in another brand (Fly) that are very loose. BTW, I have no vested interest in this guy making sales. Good Luck
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 4:51 pm

A long time ago, I went to one of those "pop up" warehouse that had closeout deals on motorcycle gear. I bought a new pair of Oxtar Matrix boots for an ultra low price. They were leather boots with a side zipper and a velcro flap to protect it. They had GoreTax liners for waterproofing. I liked them a lot. Eventually they wore out.

Oxtar is no more. TCX is their new name. TCX has similar boots.

These days, I wear BMW ProTouring Boots, which are nearly identical to the long gone Oxtar Matrix. I often wonder whether the same company makes them in the same factory. I like them a lot.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, I already have LE side zip duty boots, good ankle height leather hiking boots, and up to the calf height harness boots for varying degrees of coverage. The side zip LE boots have ballistic nylon on the uppers so they aren't too hot, but the tall harness boots are very hot here in AZ summer. So I ordered a pair of Alpinestars Ridge 2 Air boots. Figured I'd get something to be more comfortable in the heat 3/4 of the year here. I'll see how they do. If I like them, maybe I'll order their waterproof pair for cooler weather riding. I'll post my impressions of them when they arrive and I've had a chance to put some miles on them.
The Alpinestars Ridge 2 Air boots arrived today. They fit okay but they don't have any more protection that regular LEO boots. And I'm not sure how confident I am that the velcro closures will hold up as compared to standard lacing. They are perforated fake leather so they are supposed to breathe, but my LEO boots with ballistic nylon uppers and real leather bottoms do the same thing. I will probably return them and get something else.

Past Rides:
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 1:09 am

Garage

If I have to choose between a low boot (one that covers the ankle such as Military, Tactical, etc) or a high boot (BMW Allround, Daytona boots, etc) I will go with the high boot.

Why? In 2011 I was rear ended in a slow speed accident. It was pure bad luck a literal accident. However as it was from behind, my right leg was hit by the pannier. I had a deep huge bruise right to where the boot started, an absolute straight line between bruise, and normal skin. The thick leather took the force of the blow, and reduced it to nothing.

Low boots are nice, and give support to the ankles, remember I rode on German Paratrooper Boots. However we wear boots, and other protective equipment not for the summer days, but for the unexpected.

If I look for qualities in a boot, I want - Waterproofness, protection, durability, and fit. All in equal top measure.

There is a difference between military/tactical/hiking boots, and motorcycling boots. They are built for different purposes, however there are also differences within the sector as well.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Boots:

Still, my favorite: An on-sale Sears pair of Tech boots, which, when I got to the counter to pay for them, I was told if I applied for a Sears credit card I would get another discount. I ended up paying 25 buck for them.

Since, I bought a nice pair of HD engineer boots, the Sidi Canyon ones. Both which are too narrow as they are sized, and probably made in Italy. I don't think them Italian folks let their children walk barefooted...probably the reason why most boots are too narrow, unless they are made with different width.

The best boots are from Bates. But don't look in their motorcycle boots.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/...on-header-mens

Bates are less expensive, do the job, comfy, and plenty of models to choose from.

that's my boot story and I am sticking with it.
ppger likes this.
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 8:15 pm

I have been a long time oxtar/tcx customer. They usually lasted me three years before the wore out or started to leak.
I was shopping for replacement boot at our local bmw dealer. I tried dainese, bmw branded and another I can't remember and none were as comfortable as my old tcx fives.
My wife has a pair of Daytonas lady star something with the internal lift. She's 5'3. "
She had me try a pair of Daytonas travel stars. They felt like slippers. That was five years ago, they still have lots of life left in them. I ride about 30k km per year. Well worth the extra cost IMO.
ppger likes this.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 11:44 am

I bought my Oxtars in 2004 and love them beyond reason.
ppger likes this.

FridayBob Chalfant
University Circle, Cleveland, OH
'01 LTC in black, Elvira
126,000+ miles, 49 states, 9 provinces, Mexico

Old Oct 1st, 2018, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead View Post
Boots:

Still, my favorite: An on-sale Sears pair of Tech boots, which, when I got to the counter to pay for them, I was told if I applied for a Sears credit card I would get another discount. I ended up paying 25 buck for them.

Since, I bought a nice pair of HD engineer boots, the Sidi Canyon ones. Both which are too narrow as they are sized, and probably made in Italy. I don't think them Italian folks let their children walk barefooted...probably the reason why most boots are too narrow, unless they are made with different width.

The best boots are from Bates. But don't look in their motorcycle boots.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/...on-header-mens

Bates are less expensive, do the job, comfy, and plenty of models to choose from.

that's my boot story and I am sticking with it.
Funny you should mention that. I just ordered these: Bates 8" DuraShocks® Lace-to-toe Side Zip.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/...rid=2645733705

I want to try the lace-to-toe type since they can possibly better fit my low arches having the lacing going down farther. I got them for work, but I will also see how they work on the bike.

Past Rides:
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 10:31 pm

Lots to consider with boots. I started with a pair of Ariat Work boots on sale. I still have them and use them some as they are quick to wear. For summer, I got Alpinestars Multiair that allows lots of airflow and has gore-tex. You want added protection, warmth or cool, waterproof, walkability or ridability only, etc. Do you need boots you can wear in the office? There are lots of great options to fit whatever you value most in a pair of motorcycle boots. Oh, I forgot the "cool" factor too - it is subjective. Let us know what you want out of your boots and we can narrow some choices down for you. Good Luck!

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 8:33 am

Tour master makes a nice boot that come in extra wide which is rare. A good boot for the $ ($130). Solution 2. ?
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 9:55 am

Garage

I have a set of TourMasters that I like. They are ankle high with a velcro wrap that you can tuck the laces into. They are good for riding and general walking around. Not heavy or cumbersome.

I also ride a lot in a pair of Tony Lama work boots I picked up a couple of years ago. The same company that makes the cowboy boots. They are very comfortable and sturdy. They have steel toe but you don't notice it. I wear them to hike in as well.

As someone else noted though, you have to watch the laces. I make sure I tuck them into the top of the boot before I get on the bike.

MariettaMark

2004 R1150RT
2004 Honda Shadow 1100 Sabre

"My youth comes firmly under the protection of the 5th amendment and hopefully a statute of limitations"
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 9:59 am

Great information. Thanks to all who gave their opinions in this thread. I too am researching moto boots.

What about a stiff ankle support to prevent broken ankles? Is that a concern for touring riders as well? Do you wear your pants inside the boot or outside?

I personally am looking for a boot with great protection, a high shank, and comfort. I'd like pants to go over when walking around. If I will be walking a lot, I will bring a change of shoes.
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 11:35 am

Garage

I have worn BMW Allrounds for 8 years, ankle and higher up shin armor and Gore-tex plus I have walked miles in them on trips such as Gila Cliff Ruins and other trails, my feet just don't hurt and aren't damp at the end of a long day.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
I've had one pair of BMW Allround boots the past several years, high ones with extra shin padding, they are very comfy and I have hiked a couple miles in them before getting to Gila Ruins in NM. What really makes them work for me are the BMW Functional socks, they are very comfy and my feet don't get damp and they wash out nicely and dry quickly. I probably have ten pair, lol.
I'm on my second pair and have had the first pair resoled several times. Extremely comfortable and I also wear them every week for 6 hour Volunteer Sheriffs Department patrol. I can be on my feet for hours at a time and they have never let me down.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBD_1200 View Post
Great information. Thanks to all who gave their opinions in this thread. I too am researching moto boots.

What about a stiff ankle support to prevent broken ankles? Is that a concern for touring riders as well? Do you wear your pants inside the boot or outside?

I personally am looking for a boot with great protection, a high shank, and comfort. I'd like pants to go over when walking around. If I will be walking a lot, I will bring a change of shoes.
I wear Daytona Road Star GTX (https://www.daytona.de/en/index.php?...l&lid=1&eid=16) boots for a number of years now. I take a European 49 / UK 13 / US 15 boot, and these fit me very well.

When I have ridden all day, they are just as comfortable as when I put them on, even when I have been walking in them.

In terms of protection, I was rear ended a few years back. The right rear pannier was slammed into my left leg. I had a bruise from the back of the knee to where the boot started, and there was a straight line where the top of the boot started.

As a rule I wear my trousers over my boots, as it gives better rain protection (rain going outside of the boot than inside.)

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in