GRRRR--New Concours gonna' be sold like the old FJR... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:00 am Thread Starter

GRRRR--New Concours gonna' be sold like the old FJR...

Had a great chat with the sales manager from Kawasaki/Polaris of Carrolton, George Lytle yesterday. One of his sales guys was at the Ft. Worth international motorcycle show and slipped me his card, told me to call him in January saying "the dealers are supposed to get the actual specs, prices, and ordering info in January, call George then!"

Well, George is one helluva nice guy. He told me that, not unlike BMW dealerships, they usually know what is going on with the new models about 24 hours before it's on the internet, and that they don't know anything yet. He confirmed that they have been told that the ZX-14 engine is NOT likely to be de-tuned (although the shaft drive will suck a few more horses from crank to rear wheel, naturally), also told me that it's most likely that Kawi's usual "one year warranty" is going to be a "two year, unlimited miles" warranty for the '08 Concours, maybe longer.

Now the "that sucks" news:

He told me that Kawi is going to handle first year sales at least the same way as the FJR...dealers will NOT be given handfuls of the beasts, customers will have to PRE ORDER. (George told me that he already has one customer who "has to have the latest model each time who has already paid more than what it will eventually cost" but he wasn't any more clear on what MSRP is gonna' be than the guy I chatted up at the IMS who said "around $15K with abs" in November...).

I wonder if this means "nope, you can't sit on one, certainly can't test ride one, and don't even think about getting one unless you pony up $1,000 or more, months before they are even on the showroom floors" like the previous years' FJRs...

Damn

He took my number and promised to call me immediately when he gets more info in exchange for me posting it here, which i thought wouldn't bother anyone on the forum.

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:32 am

the glass is 1/2 full

On the upside, someone else gets to be the test mule to Kawasaki, reporting all the warranty issues that are inevitable(sp?) with any new model.

I understand the 1st generation of the FJR's were by no means perfect and had some definate issues. Also the your stuck with the color of the manufacturers choice, Im sure the color will change year to year. I much prefer the blue FJR's to the silver.

I also am looking forward to the new Concourse, but not enough that I cant wait n see what a few million test miles that the new purchasers put on them and give feed back to Kawasaki. Hopefully Kawasaki will be receptive (unlike a certain brand we all love that denied that the whole "surging issue" existed)

One last upside to waiting a few years is the aftermarket gets to catch up and provide all those wonderful goodies we cant live without.

Just trying to see the glass 1/2 full.

Tom

PS if you want to sit on it go to the IMS show near you this winter
post #3 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:55 am
Bouncer

Pete,

While you think that goes into the "that sucks" department, the Yamaha method was pure marketing genius. They were able to keep the hype on the product for 3 years.

Maybe Kawi is looking to do the same.

Then again, when I had my conversation with Jim Gentz of Yamaha USA 2 years before the FJR was available in the US, he said the reason was because of the GTS1000 fiasco of 10 years prior. Yamaha brought over a super-sport-touring bike with features that were ahead of their time and was stuck with units they couldn't give away. Now the bike is a freakin' collectors item.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:38 pm

I'm with you Pete. If I can't at least sit on it, I ain't buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
On the upside, someone else gets to be the test mule to Kawasaki, reporting all the warranty issues that are inevitable(sp?) with any new model.

I understand the 1st generation of the FJR's were by no means perfect and had some definate issues.
The newly released GT seems to have eluded the "inevitable" issues of a newly released model. Of course, the GT was based off the already proven K1200S. Just as the new Connie is based off the already proven ZX-14. Therefore, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the new Connie. Though I probably won't be doing that this Spring.
post #5 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:50 pm

I suspected Kawasaki would try the old buy it before you see it thing since it worked so well for Yamaha, and it keeps them from over producing bikes. Remember, there was no '89 Connie because they had so many sitting in warehouses.

Now, not to hijack a thread, but I just found out the Kawasaki will have demos available at the Concours Owners Group National in Canann, WV this June. They haven't committed to the number of bikes, but at least they will be there. This will mark the first time Kawasaki and their official club ROK (Riders of Kawasaki) have been at a COG rally. This is really big news to us COGers.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #6 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I suspected Kawasaki would try the old buy it before you see it thing since it worked so well for Yamaha, and it keeps them from over producing bikes. Remember, there was no '89 Connie because they had so many sitting in warehouses.

Now, not to hijack a thread, but I just found out the Kawasaki will have demos available at the Concours Owners Group National in Canann, WV this June. They haven't committed to the number of bikes, but at least they will be there. This will mark the first time Kawasaki and their official club ROK (Riders of Kawasaki) have been at a COG rally. This is really big news to us COGers.
You will have the connie all to yourself if you show up in June...

http://concours.org/2007/

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #7 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

I'm really disappointed though, not that anyone should care but me, honestly

one ankle reconstruction in 1991, one full knee reconstruction in 2000, bad arthritis in both hips and 3 of my lumbar vertebrae means that knees bent beyond 90-degrees for any meaningful length of time turns one of the few things in life that brings me pleasure into pure agony.

The IMS in Ft Worth was my very first chance to actually SIT on a FJR, and even with the seat in the full UP position, I knew after two minutes that it was no longer an option. The concours was behind bars (literally) and could not be touched, let alone sat upon.

I'd love to buy a 180-200hp concours if I knew that my body wouldn't regret it...and I don't have $1,000 to gamble with as a downpayment...and even though I could likely turn around and sell it instantly if it turned out to be a knee-killer, the only way I could seal the deal and not lose my downpayment is to sell the LT in the Spring, leaving me with no rocket "transcontinental sportstourer" and no "unbelievable bargain LT with 2 1/2 years left on an o-ficial BMW Certified pre-owned warranty and only 12K miles."

Ahhh well, chalk it up to another dream drifting just beyond reach...it'll probably turn out to be even better than all the damn press, run like a friggin rolex, price out at $14 grand, be as comfy as a lay-z-boy, and the next shot guys like me will have at getting one will be March of 2008.

wah wah wah, poor pete

post #8 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
You will have the connie all to yourself if you show up in June...

http://concours.org/2007/
Yeah, well....it was in June LAST year!

Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 6:17 am

If Kawasaki pulls the marketing stunt on the Connie like Yamaha did on their FJR, they can keep the bike and lose some of the "experienced buyers".

I haven't seen too many bikes that are worth paying a ransom check for anyway.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 7:36 am

CHEESE
Just a little something to go with that wine.
Rock
post #11 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:12 am Thread Starter

wink

Well deserved, Rock, well deserved

post #12 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
The only one I've seen was the '04 FJR.......

And more cheese for the whine...

I'm 63, 5/11, bad back, bad shouldes, bad knee, left hand of steel, etc. and the FJR is more comfortable for me (with 3/4" risers) than the LT. Go figure.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #13 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
The only one I've seen was the '04 FJR.......

And more cheese for the whine...

I'm 63, 5/11, bad back, bad shouldes, bad knee, left hand of steel, etc. and the FJR is more comfortable for me (with 3/4" risers) than the LT. Go figure.
I hear ya! I'm all beat to shit, with some pins, rods and a left ankle fusion and the GT is more comfy than the LT.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Well there was that Black Shadow when I was in Miami, no not a Honda.
Rock
post #15 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 8:54 pm

Next year we will all be drooling over something else that is new, infinitely better and currently unattainable. Welcome to the human experience.
post #16 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 9:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
Next year we will all be drooling over something else that is new, infinitely better and currently unattainable. Welcome to the human experience.
couldn't had said it better

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #17 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 5:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Well there was that Black Shadow when I was in Miami, no not a Honda.
Rock
Was "it" that elusive?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:17 am

Maybe some of your local dealers will do as our Yammie dealer did and go ahead and order their allotment of bikes. Of course, they did sell them before they got any floor time in the showrooms, so it didn't matter. The connie looks awesome! Bags a little small maybe compared to the LT and I do like my LT and will not be shopping for a Connie anytime soon. But it could be a good "next bike", after the kinks, if any< work out. I bought a first year Vstrom, actually VIN # 00086, and could not have been any happier. I never had any of the issues some folks did. Just a shame we had to go crashing into the U turners....

Still, can't wait to see the new Connie in person.

Randy
post #19 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:22 am

Quote:
Was "it" that elusive?
Yes, chances are good you have never even seen a picture of one.
They are in the class of Brough Superior, the absolute finest machines of their time and among the best ever.
Imagine a V-Twin that can cruise at 100mph, top 120 with a flick of the wrist and reach 150mph with a little tuning. Not many V-Twins in that category today, they were doing it almost 60 SIXTY YEARS AGO!
BMW came out with telelever system in the early 90's, which was very similar to the girdraulic system they developed in 1949
Honda's Pacific coast cruiser enclosed all the driveline, they did it in 1955. Series D BLack Shadow, Blk Knight and Blk Prince
Rock
post #20 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:58 pm

New Concours

You mean this Kawi? It feels a lot bigger than the FJR, I'm looking forward to riding it this spring. When the FJR came out in Canada there were lots of them sitting on showroom floors at discounted prices. If you can't get one in the states try a Kawi dealer in Canada there should be a few around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1454.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	714.7 KB
ID:	9146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1455.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	680.1 KB
ID:	9147  
post #21 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:17 pm

Angry Hello!

Could you all just stop posting pics of that piece of KayWRAP!!! It's ugly, stoopeed, dumb-looking, ridiculous, and lame! Furthermore, I don't even think it will ever be released to North America! Yea...that's it! It's not even available to us. So why even talk about it anymore?!

Whew! I think that worked. Dodged another bullet.

post #22 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:46 pm

I...I can't believe this , but I'm actually going to agree with Joe. I must be sick.

Marshall, Tx

post #23 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:56 pm

A decision on my next bike has been spinning in my head for 6 months now, I just can't make up my mind.. LT, GT, ST, GW, ST, LT, GW, GT I'm getting dizzzy. I heard about the Kaw C14 and I was getting excited about it for awhile.

But after looking at pictures of it, it has the one flaw that most modern Kaws have.. High mounted, cheap, thin, metal passenger pegs.

If my wife was happy with the passenger section of my current bike I wouldn't be looking for a new one. Or if I was it would be something 800cc or under.
post #24 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 5:38 pm

New Concours

There is a noticeable difference in quality between the Kawi and the BMW, I realize the one I sat on was a pre production model but the quality of the plastics made the bike look cheap. The lid on the center storage compartment was torn off ( some kawi collector?) but it will be $10,000 cdn less than an LT, It its speed you need the Kawi should be good but for comfort the LT is (for me) a lot more comfortable. But I'll test ride it in the spring anyway.......
post #25 of 32 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 6:57 am

Stopped in at the Kawamahazuki dealer yesterday and they said they are waiting for three connies to arrive at any moment, "Probably be March for arrivals"

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #26 of 32 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Stopped in at the Kawamahazuki dealer yesterday and they said they are waiting for three connies to arrive at any moment, "Probably be March for arrivals"
Since when does "at any moment" mean "March", when my calendar reads January 6?! That's almost comical. No...strike that. It IS comical.
post #27 of 32 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 9:38 am

Joe I knew you would love that, He said in one sentence any moment and the next moment it will be March! Go Figure!!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #28 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 4:40 am

OK, since we are digressing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Could you all just stop posting pics of that piece of KayWRAP!!! It's ugly, stoopeed, dumb-looking, ridiculous, and lame! Furthermore, I don't even think it will ever be released to North America! Yea...that's it! It's not even available to us. So why even talk about it anymore?!

Whew! I think that worked. Dodged another bullet.

You win the award for Most Animated Icons in a Single Post.

And if you'd add just a few more things to your signature line your posts could take up an entire screen, by themselves!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #29 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
You win the award for Most Animated Icons in a Single Post.

And if you'd add just a few more things to your signature line your posts could take up an entire screen, by themselves!
Aw, geez...........now ya done went and challenged him.......

Back on topic: Kaw website says Spring delivery to dealers. Dealers are saying any where from Mar to Jun. Might as well pick a lottery number while your at it.

Marshall, Tx

post #30 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:22 am
fas

Talking New Kaw and Joe's Posting skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Aw, geez...........now ya done went and challenged him.......

Back on topic: Kaw website says Spring delivery to dealers. Dealers are saying any where from Mar to Jun. Might as well pick a lottery number while your at it.
This new KAW has one ugly muffler. Where is the optional top bag to hold two helmets? The side bags look kinda small. And Renee Zellweger has a funky smile. I still want to ride both.

As far as Joe and his love of posting with animations, as our #1 poster there is a definite need to share in his heart. Inspiring him to do MORE? Why not? I enjoy Joe's humor. We need more humor in our crazy world.

I suggest an appropriate award for #1 poster at the next get together. What would be appropriate? A gold quill? Carpul tunnel arm braces? A really big flat screen monitor for him to admire his animation displays? A ticket for Joe to go hang out with Wooly? We give Joe a video cam so we can all enjoy Joe doing UK round abouts!!! Joe following Wooly into UK traffic would give all of us a million laughs.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #31 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:46 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
I suggest an appropriate award for #1 poster at the next get together. What would be appropriate? A gold quill? Carpul tunnel arm braces? A really big flat screen monitor for him to admire his animation displays? A ticket for Joe to go hang out with Wooly? We give Joe a video cam so we can all enjoy Joe doing UK round abouts!!! Joe following Wooly into UK traffic would give all of us a million laughs.
Ding Ding Ding!!!
I think we have found a winner!
post #32 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

nowTHAT'S too much

ok, the front end of the new concours looks a little "Jack Nicholson as the Joker from the original Batman movie" but comparing it to "constant 'I've just sucked on a lemon grimace/pucker Renee Zellwiger" was downright wrong.

FUNNIEST post in a month, but wrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in