1st Ticket - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Red face 1st Ticket

Well, got caught and had my first ever speeding ticket today!!

I've always considered myself cautious and within the rules of safety when it came to keeping up with traffic but not today..Was entering the 215 Beltway to merge into go-t-work traffic about 8:15 in the morning. I merged ok and then sped up to get to the high speed lane to leave myself an out(to the left) in the busy traffic. Glanced in the mirror and was sort of viz restricted due to the sunrise. Noticed a truck with what looked like a roof rack and thought that he was closing fast (like all the usual phone-in-the-ear macho construction guys) so I goosed it a little to get ahead and give myself some cushion...Wrong!! Was an NHP trooper who I guess had me in his sights as he came up behind me..
Got me doing 75 in a 65 mph zone..Must have been my high viz lime yellow Olympia jacket I just bought to increase my viz in traffic..
Sigh!!! And, of course, it had to be on my LT..Can you imagine that!! LOL!!

Lesson learned but still hard to restrain the urge to let it loose at times..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:04 pm

Unhappy Bad start to the day

Wait until you get one with the SO onboard

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #3 of 48 Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:28 pm

75 in a 65?! Dag! You really need to go back and edit that. Something a little more respectable like 86 in a 65. And don't forget the part where you could've out-ran the cop, but you just wasn't feeling it that day. Yea...that's it.

Just tryin' to help.

post #4 of 48 Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:41 pm

Almost had a ticket on the LT

I met a guy on the board here, "danbrew," who also lives in northeast Illinois and we met up for a ride one day. We went west on 20 out of the western suburbs of Chicago toward a town on the Mississippi river, Galena. It's an old mining town and also the one-time home of Ulysses S. Grant.

It really is a nice ride and has some scenic landscapes along the way. For most of the way 20 is a typical two-lane road, gentle curves, a few bumps trying to be hills, and a bridge or two. Plant this right in the middle of some corn and you've got 20.

Dan was to my left and slightly ahead of me. There were absolutely no cars on the road at all, we had it entirely to ourselves. At some point the road opened up to a divided four-lane highway. It was straight, flat, and wide open. Dan kind of looked back at me and somehow I knew just what he meant, we gunned it. A minute later I noticed Dan's radar detector light up like a Chrismas tree. We both slowed down immediately, bringing it down to a paltry 60-70.

We were both looking around but didn't see any cars. Then he appeared, a white, unmarked, cruiser coming up fast from behind. We pulled over, shut the bikes down, got our helmets off, licenses out, etc. The trooper took his time getting out of the cruiser but when he did it was priceless. Clint Eastwood himself couldn't have strutted any better!

As it turns out this was to our benefit. The trooper walked right past both of us and started looking at the bikes. He didn't even make eye contact with me. As he walked by he said "You guys are lucky I just bought one of these." Yeah, you heard that right! He then started talking about getting his new BMW about a week earlier. He had gone to a dealer in Iowa and then to Rockford. I don't remember what model he had except that it was a K bike but not an LT. At some point Dan, obviously trying to suck-up to the officer, said "We don't have any excuse, sir." The cop actually responded, "Yes you do, those things can't go slow."

The trooper explained that he wouldn't be allowed to write us a warning for the speed we were actually going so he brought it down a tad bit. I suppose a warning for 100 in a 55 would look a little suspicious to his supervisor.

Naturally we had to ask the trooper where he has and how he spotted us, we never saw him as we rode past. He explained that's because he wasn't behind us. He had passed us going the other direction and turned around and caught up to us. Now that would have been a fun ride!

We continued on to Galena and found a place for a burger and a drink. The sun was shining, the skies were clear, we had a nice day's ride and got a good story to tell.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #5 of 48 Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:43 pm
Ted

I'd bet a lot of money that if you go and tell the judge the same story he (or she) would dismiss the ticket (or at least reduce the fine!)

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:21 am

I got caught (radar) for 62 in a 45 yesterday but only a warning.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwusmc
[...] Noticed a truck with what looked like a roof rack [...]
Ahhhh, the old truck with a roof rack trick. Gets 'em every time.

Must have been a slow day for him to write you you for ten over. . . especially merging onto the freeway, IMHO.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 3:15 am
rlv

I can not even believe that he gave you one for that.
Just the wrong place at the wrong time.
You will have to do it again to survive out there to get into the right position and lane to make your turn and your destination.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #9 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:04 am

FYI, when you send your check in - if you plead guilty - request that they do not forward the violation to your insurance company otherwise you might be looking at an unexpected increase in your rates.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #10 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 8:52 am

Petty ticket

[QUOTE=bmwusmc]Well, got caught and had my first ever speeding ticket today!!.................
Noticed a truck with what looked like a roof rack and thought that he was closing fast (like all the usual phone-in-the-ear macho construction guys) so I goosed it a little to get ahead and give myself some cushion...Wrong!! Was an NHP trooper who I guess had me in his sights as he QUOTE]
Man thatís a petty ticket, I'd fight that ticket. With all of the traffic around and him coming from the rear...did he pace you or radar you? You did not admit to anything, RIGHT? (if you did, forget it)

IMO, Go to court with your work clothes on so the judge observes that you are taking off valuable time at work to fight the ticket. The time and money wasted pays off in the long run on insurance and future pull over checks. I'm sure some of our officers on the board will chime in.

Has always worked for me!
Good Luck!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #11 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:50 am

10 over!

Im a cop in the NW suburbs of Chicago. In fact im a motorcop which means aside from my elite riding skills (tongue firmly planted in cheek), I write a lot of tickets. Traffic enforcement is usually the main function of motor cops, but I digress.

Ive been a cop for over 15 yrs, and I have never alone written a ticket for less than 13 over, and my normal standard is 15 over. 10 over I would not have even bothered to stop you for speeding alone. Im suprised you were given a ticket for that speed, but then again cops are people too and culturally things here in the midwest are way different that they are out west in Nevada. The contact the rider on his way to Galena, IL is more of what I like to think typical of LEO's in out area. Not taking it personal, seeing the bigger picture, and being a human being once in a while.

Unless of course the NHP cop was on a zero tolerance type of special assignment. We do get a lot of requests from the USDOT and the ILDOT and they use our enforcement figures in roadway design(speed limits, traffic control devices etc...) Otherwise I woulda given you a warning.

Tom
post #12 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 3:15 pm
fas

Angry bad day

Quote:
Well, got caught and had my first ever speeding ticket today!!

I've always considered myself cautious and within the rules of safety when it came to keeping up with traffic but not today..Was entering the 215 Beltway to merge into go-t-work traffic about 8:15 in the morning. I merged ok and then sped up to get to the high speed lane to leave myself an out(to the left) in the busy traffic. Glanced in the mirror and was sort of viz restricted due to the sunrise. Noticed a truck with what looked like a roof rack and thought that he was closing fast (like all the usual phone-in-the-ear macho construction guys) so I goosed it a little to get ahead and give myself some cushion...Wrong!! Was an NHP trooper who I guess had me in his sights as he came up behind me..
Got me doing 75 in a 65 mph zone..Must have been my high viz lime yellow Olympia jacket I just bought to increase my viz in traffic..
Sigh!!! And, of course, it had to be on my LT..Can you imagine that!! LOL!!

Lesson learned but still hard to restrain the urge to let it loose at times..
I'm surprised he wrote that up. He must be behind quota. I always try to support the cops, but that ticket is telling me he was having a bad day. As others suggest, go to the court and you probably will benefit. Here in OH, if he does not show for court you walk, no blood. You do not need an attorney, just show up early on the right day. I know. Owning an M3 for six years, I have some experience on this issue in four states!

I have been very lucky on 2 wheels....so far......

The German cops pulled me over in Frankfurt when I cut across some painted lines on the road. Driving a rental, he got a kick out of my bad German. When I told him what I rode at home he loved it. He rides an R, very well. He said follow me and he took us thru town to the best ramp for our ride to Koblenz. He even pulled wheelies for us. Great guy with a good sense of humor. He reduced my fine to the minimum of 35 Euro, which I naturally expensed!!.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #13 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Thx for the comments..I think he was gunning for a m/c that morn..He just asked me one question - where was I going so fast?..I told him I was just trying to merge into the traffic flow(which I was as I had just entered from the on ramp)..He then asked for license and registr and filled out the ticket..I never admitted to anything..Just bit my tonque and took it..And a few other cars had just passed me as I was changing lanes..(Oh, and I never cut anyone off as that is one thing that really torques me when I see other m/c's cutting off motorists when changing lanes).
Aahh, well, so it goes when trying to keep the LT impulses under control..
Ride safe everyone and check that six (on and off the freeways)
post #14 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
I'm surprised he wrote that up. He must be behind quota. I always try to support the cops, but that ticket is telling me he was having a bad day. As others suggest, go to the court and you probably will benefit. Here in OH, if he does not show for court you walk, no blood. You do not need an attorney, just show up early on the right day. I know. Owning an M3 for six years, I have some experience on this issue in four states!
With all due respect, your generalizations seem to fall a bit short. Quota? Hah! Quotas are generally illegal. Besides, most officers have no quota, they get to write as many as they want. Seriously, I see nothing that qualifies a judgment of whether the officer was having a good day or a bad day. While I am not the only LEO who chimed in to say that I would not ordinarily have written a ticket for ten over, there may be other reasons why the citation was issued. Some of these reasons were outlined in this thread, such as STEP or Zero-Tolerance enforcement campaigns. The truth is, I don't know either; I wasn't there and I don't know the officer. Perhaps he was having a bad day, but I can't say.

Most, if not all, states are like Ohio in that if the State's witness (the officer) is not in court, the prosecution has no witness and the case is either dismissed (assuming the defendant shows up) or the prosecutor requests a reset. I can't speak for all departments, or even any given "x" number of departments, but I can tell you that in departments that I am familiar with, an officer may be subject to disciplinary action for missing a court date unless there is good cause. Again, the prosecutor often requests a reset in such cases (at least around here).

I am not an attorney, but I feel safe in believing that your advice against needing an attorney may fall short. My experience has always been to expect the officer to show or the state to request a reset for cause. In other words, if you show up for court, and the case goes to trial, an attorney could be helpful. I haven't seen many self-represented defendants get out of a ticket, while many good tickets have gone to the wayside because an attorney was involved.

You say you always try to support the police. I don't know you -- and perhaps you are a supporter -- but it seems more like a fair weather support if your support is so easily shaken by sketchy information. Then again, that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong (nod to Dennis Miller).

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #15 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
In fact im a motorcop which means aside from my elite riding skills (tongue firmly planted in cheek), I write a lot of tickets.
Tom
Man, I only wish I rode as good as a motorcop on his bad day (no tongue in cheek). I've taken John Preti's class and he is smoothe magic on a bike.

I was sitting in a Starbuck's in Houston one day watching a pair of motorcop's working a street. One was a gal and watching her ride just made my day. I bought a couple of fussyotto's and walked them out to them. I think I saved a few Houstonite's a ticket for awhile

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 6:02 pm

Talking

I have yet to ride with a motor cop in the twisties so I can't comment. But if I need someone to ride in a parking lot or a parade...I know who to call.
post #17 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I have yet to ride with a motor cop in the twisties so I can't comment. But if I need someone to ride in a parking lot or a parade...I know who to call.
A Shriner?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #18 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:20 pm

RE: Twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Thats a good one, in fact one of my persistent questions to my instructor during my long and PAINFUL training (you fall a lot, at parking lot speeds, but ur still fallin off the bike, of course as a reward for falling, you get to pick up your 700+ pound HD each and every time, which for me = a lot of times by mid week Tommy was a sore all over) was How does all of these neat-o parade tricks translate to the street? The insructor just smiled and said doing it slow is harder than doing it fast.

8 years later Im at the dragon with three motor cops and three other hard core sportbikers that all have been to racing schools and the like. The sportbike guys were very impressed, after they caught up to us, with the police motor officer training. Of course we did exceed ten over the speed limit more than a few times, good thing Tennessee or NC's finest wasnt around. If so I would've respected the officer's decision if he wrote me, paid the fine, and considered it an extra expense for my vacation.

Of course when I got back I would have many forms to fill out to inform my superiors that I received a ticket, they would/could suspend me, which of course gets the union involved, and the requsite 6 months of political backlash at work. On second thought I probably would ask for a courtesy, even though I probably wouldnt get it

Tom
post #19 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:24 pm

Quote:

Thats a good one, in fact one of my persistent questions to my instructor during my long and PAINFUL training (you fall a lot, at parking lot speeds, but ur still fallin off the bike, of course as a reward for falling, you get to pick up your 700+ pound HD each and every time, which for me = a lot of times by mid week Tommy was a sore all over) was How does all of these neat-o parade tricks translate to the street? The insructor just smiled and said doing it slow is harder than doing it fast.

8 years later Im at the dragon with three motor cops and three other hard core sportbikers that all have been to racing schools and the like. The sportbike guys were very impressed, after they caught up to us, with the police motor officer training. Of course we did exceed ten over the speed limit more than a few times, good thing Tennessee or NC's finest wasnt around. If so I would've respected the officer's decision if he wrote me, paid the fine, and considered it an extra expense for my vacation.

Of course when I got back I would have many forms to fill out to inform my superiors that I received a ticket, they would/could suspend me, which of course gets the union involved, and the requsite 6 months of political backlash at work. On second thought I probably would ask for a courtesy, even though I probably wouldnt get it

Tom
TONGUE FIRMLY PLANTED IN CHEEK!
post #20 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:26 pm
Ted

Quote:
..He just asked me one question - where was I going so fast?..
He probably rides a HD and is jealous of your near silent acceleration!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #21 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 9:34 pm

Got out of mine

This is the story of the only time I talked my self out of a ticket.

I was working on a Saturday that also happened to be the day of my 12th wedding Anniversary and we were planning to go out to dinner and a movie.
Was doing a cut over that ran a little long and I did not leave the customers until 5:15 and we have dinner reservations for a very nice place at 6 and I am 50 miles from home and dirty and need to get cleaned up. So I call the wife and tell her to get gussied up and go to the restaurant have a glass of wine or two and I will met her there after stopping at home and cleaning up changing at 6:30/7. She is not happy but agrees.

I am going 58 in a 35 when I get pulled over. Officer walks up and ask "do you know how fast you were going ?"
I kindly reply "yea about 60, but I have a good reason".

He gets that angry cop look on his face as he is resting one hand on the gun and one on the baton. He said "what would be your reason for going almost double the speed limit ?"

I reply "My life is in danger"
He says 'WHAT how is your life in danger ?"

I reply "Yea my life is in danger" I explained the above to him and followed it up with "and If I do not get to that restaurant soon my wife is going to KILL me!!'

He starts laughing calls in my license and cuts me lose and told me to take it easy.

May not have hurt that it was an officer from my town and it was in my town.
He was still chuckling and shaking his head when I took off.

I made it at 7:20 to the restaurant and she was still mad

She did not kill me but she beat me up a little later that night but thats a story for another forum.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."
post #22 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 9:48 pm

That's pretty good, and it reminds me of a stop from back when I worked on the streets in the traffic division (the good old days, I imagine).

Violator was doing 70 in a 45. No traffic except for his vehicle, wide open area, brand new six lane divided, clear sky, perfect day.

As was my habit, I asked if there was some emergency or circumstance that would explain the excessive speed. The guy looked me dead in the eye and he said "No, sir, no good reason at all, except it is such a beautiful day, no one else on the road, and my head too far up my a&& to notice the speed limit signs or my speedometer."

How can you argue with logic like that?

True Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
This is the story of the only time I talked my self out of a ticket.

I was working on a Saturday that also happened to be the day of my 12th wedding Anniversary and we were planning to go out to dinner and a movie.
Was doing a cut over that ran a little long and I did not leave the customers until 5:15 and we have dinner reservations for a very nice place at 6 and I am 50 miles from home and dirty and need to get cleaned up. So I call the wife and tell her to get gussied up and go to the restaurant have a glass of wine or two and I will met her there after stopping at home and cleaning up changing at 6:30/7. She is not happy but agrees.

I am going 58 in a 35 when I get pulled over. Officer walks up and ask "do you know how fast you were going ?"
I kindly reply "yea about 60, but I have a good reason".

He gets that angry cop look on his face as he is resting one hand on the gun and one on the baton. He said "what would be your reason for going almost double the speed limit ?"

I reply "My life is in danger"
He says 'WHAT how is your life in danger ?"

I reply "Yea my life is in danger" I explained the above to him and followed it up with "and If I do not get to that restaurant soon my wife is going to KILL me!!'

He starts laughing calls in my license and cuts me lose and told me to take it easy.

May not have hurt that it was an officer from my town and it was in my town.
He was still chuckling and shaking his head when I took off.

I made it at 7:20 to the restaurant and she was still mad

She did not kill me but she beat me up a little later that night but thats a story for another forum.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #23 of 48 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
They have cops in Nevada? Who knew?

I agree 75 in a 65 is pretty petty though. Why I hear there are roads in Nevada where you can easily double the posted speed limit.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Jan 3rd, 2007 at 11:03 pm.
post #24 of 48 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 7:17 am

she beat me up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
I was working on a Saturday that also happened to be the day of my 12th wedding Anniversary and we were planning to go out to dinner and a movie.....
Lets see; 12th wedding anniversary, nice restaurant, cool story, I'm sure you got BEAT UP REAL BAD or um' REAL GOOD that night!
Poor guy!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #25 of 48 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 7:49 pm

shucks, that's nothin to be ashamed of

... it happens to most of us. Consider it dues to support local law enfarcement.

My personal best was somewhere north of Death Vally in the middle of nowhere ... ticket for 84 in a 65. Radar measured 98 . I was greatful for the reduction!

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #26 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:54 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Got me doing 75 in a 65 mph zone

10 over?! What a chicken shit ticket!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #27 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:02 am
THE Democracy Doctor

At some point Dan, obviously trying to suck-up to the officer, said "We don't have any excuse, sir." The cop actually responded, "Yes you do, those things can't go slow."

That's right, Pete! Never try and suck up to an officer.

Great story!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #28 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 3:05 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Unless of course the NHP cop was on a zero tolerance type of special assignment.

I think it's important that we use good judgement no matter what type of assignment we're on.

post #29 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 3:10 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quota? Hah! Quotas are generally illegal. Besides, most officers have no quota....

Hey Tony,

I gave up years ago trying to explain that "quotas" are illegal and that officers DO NOT have any financial interest in giving citations. It's really simple, but......

post #30 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Quota? Hah! Quotas are generally illegal. Besides, most officers have no quota....

Hey Tony,

I gave up years ago trying to explain that "quotas" are illegal and that officers DO NOT have any financial interest in giving citations. It's really simple, but......
Indeed, Jay. IF ONLY we would have been on some sort of commission or bonus structure, I would have stayed in traffic division instead of promoting out!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #31 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:01 am

Good luck vs intuition

I've been 'nailed' a number of times for speed on a number of bikes (but not the LT) but so far only warnings. It has lots to do with age and 23 years as a cop (in a former life.) When I remove my helmet, they realize that its not a kid on a sport bike. The ATGATT attitude helps as well. It give the signal that we are serious riders, not SQUIDS. I have yet to ask for 'professional courtesy' and don't think I would. I know that one of these days I'll get a 'pay ticket' and I'll just pay it (or take an MSF class, I'm overdue anyway.)

My best was in Colorado, south of Franktown on Hiway 83 at about 7:30 on a cool fall morning. My buddy on his ST1100 was chasing me on my FJ1100 at about 115mph when I noticed a vehicle that was not fading but not gaining. I backed off and he caught up: a DARE deputy for Elbert County. When he calmed down, we apologized for our speed and we went on our way with a verbal. I did get stopped in Colorado last summer for 9 over but just a verbal. Those dont hurt at all.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #32 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
[. . .] The ATGATT attitude helps as well. It give the signal that we are serious riders, not SQUIDS. [. . .]
I can infer the gist of the acronyms from the context, but am curious as to the actual meaning. Thanks!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #33 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:15 am
fas

Cool supporting LEOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
With all due respect, your generalizations seem to fall a bit short. Quota? Hah! Quotas are generally illegal. Besides, most officers have no quota, they get to write as many as they want. .....
You say you always try to support the police. I don't know you -- and perhaps you are a supporter -- but it seems more like a fair weather support if your support is so easily shaken by sketchy information. Then again, that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong (nod to Dennis Miller).
We tested new experimental brake materials with Ed Rose at CHP for years. CHP lost a great guy when Ed retired. The annual event at Pomona Speedway was always on our plan, lap after lap with many LEOS doing the driving. We tested new HP rotors and pads. We also supported the annual MI testing. We applied a lot of what we learned on race cars to the LEO cruisers. We helped improve the stopping power on both cages and 2-wheeled varieties. Worked with RCMP, IL State, and many others helping them with brake testing and improving driver training. Sent many LEOS as our guests to Bondurant and other race schools to enhance their skills [OTR in many cases to keep them clean of their "policy"]. As the VP I had control of X professional race schools per year and I made sure LEOS got many of the slots. We focused on training the trainers, if you get my drift. We later won many of the state brake bids for many of the police departments, USA and Canada. Good fun working with the LEOS and helping them learn to survive pursuits by better driving and better use of the brakes. Those old Crown Vics had some real crap brakes. The trucks in many cases are REALLY bad if you try to run after the "offenders." In addition to trying to help LEOS with safer stopping and better driving skills, we joined NAFA [North American Fleet Assn.], LEG [Law Enforcement Group]. We attended all their sessions and tried to help the LEOS face to face.

As far as the ticket strategy for resolution after citation for our friend, I got 4 of 5 gone with my strategy. Maybe I was just lucky. I still think a ticket for 10 over while a guy is blending into traffic on two wheels is not good use of the tax payers money.

Working extensively in Europe, the data there support my personal feelings that most humans can safely handle speeds higher than most USA posted speed limits. As the song says, "I can't drive 55." But, I digress..........

Thank God for LEOS who save many people every year!

Rob Nelson

Grey Goose
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #34 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:15 pm

Rob,

My comments about support were not directed towards your technical/training/work-related support of LEOs, which I truly appreciate. What I took exception to was the blanket generalization that the officer must have been having a bad day. There were many possible and reasonable factors that justified the citation in the mind of the officer, some of which he had no say over. I would like to think that there was a good reason for it, but maybe there wasn't. We may never know.

I don't disagree that writing for ten over, especially when merging into traffic, seems odd. I don't recall any LEOs saying that they typically write, or even stop, for ten over. I'll go a step further and say that if the officer wrote it as an "attitude ticket" due to any perceived attitude on the part of the violator, that the officer may be a candidate for a self-check of his ethics.

As regards your strategy, four out of five is pretty darned good. Doesn't often happen like that here in North Texas, but it has worked for you and I have no problem with it. I still would not advise people to follow that approach, but that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors, as my dad used to day.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #35 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:52 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
I can infer the gist of the acronyms from the context, but am curious as to the actual meaning. Thanks!
All The Gear All The Time

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #36 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:17 pm

Acronyms

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Immenently Dead

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #37 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:22 pm
fas

excellent....SQUID>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Immenently Dead

Well done Graham.

Rob Nelson

Grey Goose
Toscana Temptress

post #38 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:33 pm

I always thought it was short for "Squirrely Kid" on a sport bike.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #39 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:35 pm

Tickets, tickets, tickets...

15+ years in law enforcement, 7 of those in the Criminial Investigation Bureau. I have a long list of men and 1 women Ive put in prison, most were during my time investigating sex crimes, mainly pedophiles victimizing kids. In that time I became one of the best at obtaining written statements (confessions) from these "special" types of criminals. Yet the public really is obsessed with traffic tickets.

Either we write too many or not enough,"write the other guy speeding down my street".

Im not neccessarily complaining about this thread as much as making an observation. Nothing seems to generate more responses (including from me) than this issue.

In the many forums I belong to concerning riding, traffic tickets are the hottest issue discussed. A close second is when the safety nazi's chime in on the minimum amount of riding appearel required to ride (that should start a new slew of responses) :-)

Anyway MB another way to look at it is if this is the only contact I ever have with a cop then God, Allah, Buddah (insert diety here) is smiling on me :-)!

To the public I serve I say I dont hate you because Ive written you a ticket, and even though you may have just personalized our time together I can assure you I have not. No I must go I SMELL FRESH DOUGHNUTS AND THE COFFEE IS BREWING!

Tom
post #40 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:53 pm

First. let me say thanks for you service to your community.

Every ticket I've ever gotten, albeit few, I've deserved. I've never mouthed off to or berated the officer for what he's doing. Never will. I broke the law, he's doing his job.

JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #41 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 3:30 pm

A Big Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
First. let me say thanks for you service to your community.

Every ticket I've ever gotten, albeit few, I've deserved. I've never mouthed off to or berated the officer for what he's doing. Never will. I broke the law, he's doing his job.

JM2CW

DITTO[COLOR=DarkRed]

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #42 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:27 pm

Quote:
To the public I serve I say I dont hate you because Ive written you a ticket, and even though you may have just personalized our time together I can assure you I have not.
Well said (although we do have our memories of some of our "favorite" stops).

Quote:
No I must go I SMELL FRESH DOUGHNUTS AND THE COFFEE IS BREWING!
Ahhhhhhhh, the sweet smell of fresh doughnuts and coffee

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #43 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:45 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Indeed, Jay. IF ONLY we would have been on some sort of commission or bonus structure, I would have stayed in traffic division instead of promoting out!
Yes, no doubt! LOL.

Also, why is it that if you do 10 traffic stops per shift (my norm) and give out 10 warnings, your supervisor thinks that 10 chicken shit citations would have been better?! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Oh well--I guess if I had wanted to be liked (by supervision) I would have been A fireman!!

post #44 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 8:54 pm

Quote:
In the little speedtrap town down the road they do have a sort of "comission". Because of the number of citations written by their 30+ police officers (pop. of town around 300-400) they have no "city tax" what so ever, no property tax...nada.
The Gov. of GA sent the St. Police to this little town to tell them to stay off of I95 and to confiscate their radar guns...twice.
And don't even think of going through Ludowici, Ga with out of state plates. The stories about the corrupt southern police are no myths.
post #45 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
In the little speedtrap town down the road they do have a sort of "comission". Because of the number of citations written by their 30+ police officers (pop. of town around 300-400) they have no "city tax" what so ever, no property tax...nada.
The Gov. of GA sent the St. Police to this little town to tell them to stay off of I95 and to confiscate their radar guns...twice.
And don't even think of going through Ludowici, Ga with out of state plates. The stories about the corrupt southern police are no myths.
I've got a better one than that. There's a leetle town in North Texas called Mustang. Seeing's how the whole county was dry, they voted themselves wet. The feller that owned the liquor store also opened a titty bar. The town had no taxes, nor did they have to pay for their water. The town lived off the taxes of the only businesses in town: the liquor store and titty bar. Well, in awhile, the good Baptist's of the area decided to take exception and shut the liquor store and bar down.

A few months later, the town couldn't pay for anything, their water is going into foreclosure and they're wondering what to do.

My thoughts? Deputize the whole bunch and give them radar guns!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #46 of 48 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Oh well--I guess if I had wanted to be liked (by supervision) I would have been A fireman!!
You could take "by supervision" out of that and it would prolly still be true. But, I digress . . .

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #47 of 48 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 9:38 am

The only ticket I ever got, I deserved. I said "Thank you officer" and called his supervisor a couple of days later to let him know what a professional job his man was doing.

(Deputy was on a BMW motorcycle. After he wrote me the ticket, we talked about bikes for about 10-15 mins or so.)
post #48 of 48 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Final thoughts:

1. Should have taken my helmet off.
2. I'm still feeling the effects of getting the ticket which has made me super cautious. Now I find myself in the midst of cagers passing me left and right. Guess I'll just have to revert to my survival mode again and be extra careful when exceeding the limit as I establish a safety cushion around me.
3. I was ATGATT and always am when riding no matter the distance or temperature.
4. I do believe in enforcing traffic regulations but here in NV it seems to be a hit or miss thing and I got hit. High speed red light runners here are notorious and are a main source of fatal accidents(night or day) but I hardly ever see anyone pulled over for the violation..

OK..all that is off my chest and I'll still be riding for as long as my bones allow it as I go about making up for lost time over the years.. Nothing beats a good ride to clear the mind and settle the soul.. It's my therapy to
hat keeps me going as I continue my ride to my final kickstand down..Ride safe all..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in