BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   Bike Talk (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bike-talk/)
-   -   Color of BMW (Brand) Brake Fluid ? (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bike-talk/17883-color-bmw-brand-brake-fluid.html)

patrick2000 Dec 30th, 2006 9:22 pm

Color of BMW (Brand) Brake Fluid ?

I purchased BMW brake fluid at the dealer a couple of weeks ago. This is the first time I've used this BMW product, as I usually use whatever (DOT4) the auto parts store has in stock.

When flushing the brake systems on my bike(s) this week I noticed that (right out of the container) the BMW brake fluid is a light yellow color. All other brake fluids I've used were clear when new, so I'm concerned that I may have gotten a contaminated batch. The best description of the color would be (pee colored) very light yellow. However it is now very easy to see the brake and clutch fluid levels in the sight glass.

My question.
Is this the normal color of BMWs brake fluid?

Morley Dec 30th, 2006 9:41 pm

Not sure if it is "normal" or not. The bike I bought was dealer maintained (have recipts) and the fluid in the res.'s is clear...so clear I had to open the clutch res. to see if there was even fluid in it.

cfell Dec 30th, 2006 9:42 pm

Patrick.. I had 2 seperate bottles. Both were a bit dark in color. Can't say why. They were lighter than the color in the bike...

patrick2000 Dec 30th, 2006 9:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfell
Patrick.. I had 2 seperate bottles. Both were a bit dark in color. Can't say why. They were lighter than the color in the bike...

Channing,

That is what got me thinking too. The stuff coming out (one year old Prestone DOT4), was clearer than the new stuff by BMW.
My guess is they have a coloring agent in their product to make it more visible in motorcycle reservoirs.

DanMartin Dec 30th, 2006 10:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick2000
I purchased BMW brake fluid at the dealer a couple of weeks ago. This is the first time I've used this BMW product, as I usually use whatever (DOT4) the auto parts store has in stock.

When flushing the brake systems on my bike(s) this week I noticed that (right out of the container) the BMW brake fluid is a light yellow color. All other brake fluids I've used were clear when new, so I'm concerned that I may have gotten a contaminated batch. The best description of the color would be (pee colored) very light yellow. However it is now very easy to see the brake and clutch fluid levels in the sight glass.

My question.
Is this the normal color of BMWs brake fluid?

I haven't purchased any at the BMW dealers. But when I get my bike back after a brake flush the master cylinder has dark brown fluid.

dan martin

Big_E Dec 30th, 2006 10:25 pm

Just cause it's dealer serviced don't mean they use BMW products. They want you to buy them & they probably use what's cheaper.

mwnahas Dec 30th, 2006 10:27 pm

Dot 4 Stuff I got in the BMW bottle was yellow.