JD Power Ratings for Motorcycle Manufacturers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 7:12 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

JD Power Ratings for Motorcycle Manufacturers

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/motorcycles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Looks as though we all need to run out and buy a Victory.
post #3 of 20 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 8:27 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Interesting idea, I wonder if there are motorcyclists that would buy a bike almost solely based on a rating like this? It seems unlikely to me, but that's because I view motorcyclists as people driven a bit more by heart/passion around their bike purchases that just purely objective data. I tend to research and buy cars that way, but not bikes. Given, the quality/reliability aspect does figure in, but it's still basically a passion decision for me. Well, I am a guy that went to get a flat tire replaced and came home with that, and another motorcycle.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 8:52 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Interesting idea, I wonder if there are motorcyclists that would buy a bike almost solely based on a rating like this? It seems unlikely to me, but that's because I view motorcyclists as people driven a bit more by heart/passion around their bike purchases that just purely objective data. I tend to research and buy cars that way, but not bikes. Given, the quality/reliability aspect does figure in, but it's still basically a passion decision for me. Well, I am a guy that went to get a flat tire replaced and came home with that, and another motorcycle.
I know a lot of guys who buy motorcycles based on much less. LOL!!!

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #5 of 20 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 8:58 pm

Knew they existed for helmets, but not for manufacturers! 9 years in a row, kewl.

The press release is even more interesting.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Dec 20th, 2006 at 9:07 pm.
post #6 of 20 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I know a lot of guys who buy motorcycles based on much less. LOL!!!
I bought my Pacific Blue LT because Jeff had one. When he bought a GT, I instantly knew the next cool trend. I just couldn't get a GT in the same color. It may have reveiled too much.
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Quote:
I bought my Pacific Blue LT because Jeff had one. When he bought a GT, I instantly knew the next cool trend. I just couldn't get a GT in the same color. It may have reveiled too much.
You ought to see the metallic purple Navigator he just acquired. Beats the hell out of driving a, oh, I don't know....... mini-van?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
You ought to see the metallic purple Navigator he just acquired. Beats the hell out of driving a, oh, I don't know....... mini-van?
Hey mun! I got my Equinox back. No more mini-van for me.
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 5:32 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

Quote:
Joe,

We both know I bought the GT because I knew you would get one, and I just had to have one before you got yours. LOL!!!

-
post #10 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:18 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have had 3 Victories including my current Hammer and a BMW LT. I would be hard pressed to decide which one to give up if I could only keep one. Victories are great bikes but I do love the comfort (so does the wife) of the LT!
post #11 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:18 am

JD Power Ratings

On the surface the BMW seems to be in second place. However if you add up the two columns that count Quality(ie Reliabilty) and cost of ownership to 8th place.
Product is purely subjective- people either like or dislike a particular aspect.
Sales- Depends how easily you are swayed by the salesman. Most motorcyclists know what they want and know a lot more about it before they go to a dealer (Unlike cars)
Service- is down to the individual mechanic

post #12 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:44 am
fas

Cool Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe

Thanks for sharing this JDPower study. Interesting that KTM is not included. They now sold more bikes in the last 12 months than BMW. 2007 Super Duke will be here for rides. I'm trying to get a gang set to ride one of the first to hit. If you're interested let me know. KTM boys were here the other day. They think it will outperform the new 1098 Duc. We're planning a ride in SoCal and OH now.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #13 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
They think it will outperform the new 1098 Duc.
Oh, this outta be FUN!!!
post #14 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:29 am

10 bike makers listed -- 7 of 10 are "better than average" or higher for "cost of ownership"? Wouldn't that make the "better than average" rating, well, just average?
post #15 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 1:33 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Interesting idea, I wonder if there are motorcyclists that would buy a bike almost solely based on a rating like this? It seems unlikely to me, but that's because I view motorcyclists as people driven a bit more by heart/passion around their bike purchases that just purely objective data. I tend to research and buy cars that way, but not bikes. Given, the quality/reliability aspect does figure in, but it's still basically a passion decision for me.
The other side of this is that these surveys will only reflect the opinions of the people who actually took the time to fill them out.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #16 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 2:25 pm

One HUGE factor not considered...Dealer network/support.
That would pull BMW down to about...oh, I don't know, last!

post #17 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 2:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird
That would pull BMW down to about...oh, I don't know, last!
Depends whom they polled. I have 3 dealers less than an hour away. Funny though...out of the 3, I go to the furthest one possible.
post #18 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:33 pm

Did you get a $1 from JD Power?

I'm not one for filling out surveys of any kind so I sat on the survey for about a month before filling it out to my best knowledge. I told myself it was in the spirit of helping out our fellow riders.

They sent me a crisp-new $1 for my troubles with the survey. Now if I can only figure out what I did with that buck.
post #19 of 20 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 3:10 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot
They sent me a crisp-new $1 for my troubles with the survey.
Had you held out - they would have sent you a total of $7.

You would have received a friendly reminder letter with another $1, followed by another letter with $5. At least that's what they did 2 years ago with a Honda S2000 survey.

And, yes - all 3 were crisp!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #20 of 20 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Had you held out - they would have sent you a total of $7.
Doh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in