Triked & home - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 1:54 pm Thread Starter

Talking Triked & home

OK. Not sure where to post this, but here is my story.
As I posted last week, I spent a week in Murray KY, while Hannigan Motor Sports converted the LT from a two wheeler to a three wheeler, and as promised, it rolled out late on Friday. A few spins around the parking lot, and it was time to head to the motel for one more night in Murray. I would like to acknowledge Richard Hardt, known as CaptRich on this site. I met him and his wife Sally who had attended CCR 06, their first Curve Cowboy Reunion. They live in the area, and are working on a house located a half mile from Hannigan痴. It was nice to spend time meeting them and talking motorcycle talk. I知 glad he responded to my post, and hope to see them at Tan Tara.
Now, concerning the trike and my trip home. I had planned to hit the road around 9 EST , figuring I would allow myself 7 hours to get to Cincinnati due the cold weather. I figured I would spend a little more time stopping to warm the feet. Like a kid on Christmas morning, I could not sleep once I decided to get up, after laying there awake for 30 minuets or so. Alright 7a.m, grab some coffee and start loading the bike, loaded and on the road at 8:15, temperature gauge reading 22 degrees.

After a couple of hours, I stopped for gas and breakfast, about a 45 minute stop in Central City KY, after that, it was basically non stop, one pit stop for personal reasons. The next time the gas gauge reached the warning light level, I simply hit the auxiliary gas tank button, watched the needle rise as gas was pumped into the main tank, while just cruising down the highway.

OK with all due respect, the Wendell Ford Western KY highway is boring, as is, I65. So as I bypassed Louisville, I called my SO to inform her that I would be happy to go out of my way and pick up her mail in Warsaw KY, thus allowing me to ride up US 42 along the Ohio River, a road I have traveled many times this year on two wheels.

Wow, now I知 on a road with some curves, I feel my face breaking into a smile, I知 liking this, is what I知 thinking, as I take one curve after another, each one picking up a little more speed. OK, I arrive home 389 miles later, 20 degrees warmer, the temp guage now reading 44. I did not run into any poles at the gas station, nor did I leave a rear wheel hanging over the center line, or off the road on the right side, now just get it in the garage without hitting the sides.

Now yesterday, my SO is dying to take a spin, so off we go to lunch, I took the long way around, over the hill and thru the valley, down the winding roads along the Little Miami River to lunch we go. Now, I have ridden close to 392 miles, she just 3, when I ask how she likes it, she said its different, again, a few miles later, after some curves, she says, I知 liking it. I知 just sorry I did not do it a couple of years ago, when the bug hit me in Breckenridge, oh well, it痴 done and I知 a happy triker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrival_1.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	8648   Click image for larger version

Name:	during.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	8649   Click image for larger version

Name:	after_1.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	8650   Click image for larger version

Name:	home.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	8651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hannigan sign.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	8652  

Last edited by PePa; Dec 11th, 2006 at 2:27 pm. Reason: picturs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Nice story, ENJOY!
If you can, please post a picture of the finished product. Mebbe a "before and after."
post #3 of 24 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Congrats to ya'.
karen likes ours so well, I sometimes catch her nodding off back there......
We did a 9,000 mile trip last summer and she said it was like sittin' in an easy chair...............
(after you get use to those sideways g-forces..........)
Did you get the auxiliary fuel tank ?

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Damn, Larry. That is even nicer than I imagined. Now I want one and I want it baaaad. Just to warn ya....you'll probably be hearing from my wife. Me: "But, but, but, just lookat how nice Larry's trike looks..." Her: "LARRY? just who the H*LL is Larry?!"
post #5 of 24 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 3:43 pm

They do one heck of a job, don't they? Congrats Pepa! I remember you drolling on them at Breckenridge. 'Bout time!
post #6 of 24 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Did you get the auxiliary fuel tank ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, on the tank. The gas mileage does go down, estimated 20% drop, so with the extra 4+ gals you can keep up with your fellow LT's. Of course at my age, I have been know to stop every two hours anyway. I figured another trip out west, the extra tank would be nice. You can see the tank in the pictures along with pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	start_.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	8654   Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks, pump.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	8655  
post #7 of 24 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

They do one heck of a job, don't they? Congrats Pepa! I remember you drolling on them at Breckenridge. 'Bout time!

Yes Joe they do an outstanding job, first class all the way.
post #8 of 24 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:25 pm

SUPER!!

Glenn
post #9 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:20 am

What's Left For Storage Space?

Just curious. Besides the top case is there any additional storage. If yes where and how much.

Thanks
Joe
post #10 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 5:41 am

Pepa: Nice looking unit. Is it an independent rear suspension? Did you lose your ABS, front only, or what? Does the cubic feet of storage area out back at least equal the lost storage area of the saddlebags? Thanks, Dick
post #11 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 6:44 am

We looked at the Hannigan trike at CCR. I believe there is more room in the new trunk than both of the side bags could hold together. Best thing to do, would be to ask Hannigan how much capacity is there. JM2CW.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 9:11 am

That is one fine looking ride. I would say enjoy but I bet you already do. Congrats!!!

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #13 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 9:13 am

The trunk capacity is equal to 3- 1/2 side cases.

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #14 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 9:50 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
Pepa: Nice looking unit. Is it an independent rear suspension? Did you lose your ABS, front only, or what? Does the cubic feet of storage area out back at least equal the lost storage area of the saddlebags? Thanks, Dick
Dick, The suspension is independent, you keep the ABS all way around.
Starfighter is correct about storage. Here are the Hannigan Specs:

Length w/Steer Lite installed.......................113"
Wheelbase......................................... ........73"
Width............................................. ........61.5"
Track Width............................................. ..51"
RearTires Michelin All Season Radial......15x185/60
Trunk............................................. ......6 cu.ft.
Custom Mag Wheels
Base Conversion installed adds approx 320 lbs to stock K1200LT
Retain fully integrated brakes with servo system (2002-2006)

Larry
post #15 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:11 am

Trike

Hey Larry,glad to see you made it home alrightMust have been a coooool ride.It was good to meet you and am lookinf forward to CCR 07,already made our reservations.I wish we lived closer to Hannigans,we could've offered our guest cabin to you,but we're about 25 miles away.If you're ever back out this way and need an overnight place,we're open to it.Rich
post #16 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Thanks for the info Larry and Allan. I'm impressed with the additional storage capacity but even more impressed with maintaining full ABS function! I'm thinking that a Hannigan trike will be a logical step for me when I get to the point of not being able to or wanting to handle two wheels.

Are you pleased with the comfort and ride qualities? How is the handling?

Dick
post #17 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Thumbs up

Like sitting in an easy chair....................................
The lateral forces take a little getting use to...............but once you do........
I know just where my rear tires are going to break loose..............................
Best part is.......Karen now says....."why don't we take the trike"?
When the wife is happy, everyone's happy............................................. ....

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #18 of 24 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 7:09 am

Allan: Thanks for the input. I did a sidehack for a couple of years back in the 80's when the kids were little. Sounds like the same feeling I got..... in that I knew exactly how much input was needed to "fly the hack." It's nice to know that there is a company out there that makes a quality trike out of our bike. Future options for motorcycling are very comforting. Motorcycling has been a passion in my life for the past 37 yrs and quite frankly the thought of giving it up some day because of my "advanced" age troubles me. A trike will make it possible to extend my passion well beyond the point that I normally would be able to. Dick
post #19 of 24 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 7:16 am

Smile Trike

I have had mine over a year I also added the Rhinewest chip. Don't be frightened to get up in the 4-5-6- RPM range she really goes good then . On a trip I average 41 MPG

Ride Safe

John L Bass
2002 K1200lt Triked by Hannigan 2005 now LT stands for Luxury Trike
Carpe Diem <><
"I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God then sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"
Stop Global Whining
post #20 of 24 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 9:28 am

John/Dick
On our trip from Oregon, to Maine to Georgia to Oregon, our overall average was 42 mpg almost all on two lanes.

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #21 of 24 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 1:28 am

Question same reverse?

Do they do anything to improve the reverse or is the stock reverse OK? Also, how is the transition from 2 to 3 wheels as far as handling?

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)
post #22 of 24 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:48 am

Thanks for the informative post Pe Pa. I have always thought that a trike might be an option as my joints get creakier but shied away based on experience a very long time ago in a short ride on a early generation trike. I didn't feel comfortable except at very low speed and in a straight line. From your post it appears that yours isn't my grandfather's trike!

Could you give us your impressions of riding it in the twisties and at speed compared to a conventional touring bike? How nearly can you approach the same speeds through turns as you ride a conventional two wheel touring bike? I would think that one must plant the outside foot firmly on the outside board or peg while turning is similar fashion to using a dead pedal in a car.

TIA for more great information.
Ben White/Austin, tX
BTW, does Hannigan build a trike kit for the R1200RT?
post #23 of 24 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 8:32 pm

More Trikes!

I really enjoy our 1200 LT trike. And, Hannigan makes one for the 1150 RT, but as far as I know, not for the 1200 RT. Check them out at their web page!
post #24 of 24 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 6:12 pm

Triked & Home

Think of the weight and size of the Hannigan Trike.........Now have a look at this http://www.writetoride.co.uk/trikelaw.html.
Have fun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in