New trend in motorcycle wheels: clear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 9:43 am Thread Starter

New trend in motorcycle wheels: clear

I think this one is going to catch on big time as soon as the price can be lowered - currently $5K per wheel, they are made from 1.5" Lexan and forged aluminum. They have the additional benefit of being bulletproof, literally.

http://www.forgiato.com/radurra/gallery/s550_bldg5.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clear wheels.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	8593  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 12:44 pm

I'm certain one of the custom builders (you know, the ones that build show bikes that were never intended to be ridden) will have a set of these on their next creation.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #3 of 19 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I think this one is going to catch on big time as soon as the price can be lowered - currently $5K per wheel, they are made from 1.5" Lexan and forged aluminum. They have the additional benefit of being bulletproof, literally.

http://www.forgiato.com/radurra/gallery/s550_bldg5.htm
Let's see Joe accuse you of spamming on this one

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 1:40 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Great. Something else to clean and polish. No, thanks.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 7:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Great. Something else to clean and polish. No, thanks.
Right. We'll have to add Windex to our cleaning arsenal.

I like the look. Very different. If you're going to build something "out there", you might as well go with something radically different. I wonder how it handles potholes -- can Lexan crack, break, or chip?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
-- can Lexan crack, break, or chip?
Depends on caliber

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:25 am

Keep your wheels spinning and they will always look like that. Who needs Lexan? Just ride it!

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #8 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Right. We'll have to add Windex to our cleaning arsenal.

I like the look. Very different. If you're going to build something "out there", you might as well go with something radically different. I wonder how it handles potholes -- can Lexan crack, break, or chip?
Good question, their site only says:

The center is 1.5 or 2 polycarbonate, chemical hard coated both sides.

Weight 20 - 27 lbs, and 22 - 38 lbs (complete wheel weight)

All other parts of the wheel are forged 6061t aluminum
(Inner and outer hoops and Hub center)

SAE tested, certified and passed Impact, cornering and radial tests.

I would like to see some ISO or ASTM standards, but my guess is with the limited amount of purchases these expensive tests won't be done any time soon.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Depends on caliber
I saw a static display with just about everything shot at a piece of 1 inch Lexan.

The small arms stuff just kind of stuck out about one half the bullet's length into the face.

A 12 gauge slug made some pretty impressive lines radiating out from the hole, got half way through, but still did not penetrate.

A NATO 223 round was the (almost) winner: the tip penetrated and stuck out the rear by about 1/8 inch. I don't know what the velocity of those little puppies is but I would not be surprised if it is up around 2,000 fps. That's motating!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
A NATO 223 round was the (almost) winner: the tip penetrated and stuck out the rear by about 1/8 inch. I don't know what the velocity of those little puppies is but I would not be surprised if it is up around 2,000 fps. That's motating!
Not a gun expert and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but I think the 5.56 NATO round is around 3,100fps when it leaves the muzzle... or at least that is the spec MIL-C-9963F ...
post #11 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 3:58 pm

At least when these wheels get out to the "bling" crowd they will maybe have a visual clue and realize how totally lame they are when the put a 22" wheel on a car and keep the 10" brake rotors.
post #12 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 6:02 pm

That's not lexan...that's transparent aluminum. Beam me up.
post #13 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
You reckon using that transparent aluminum would nullify the effects of my aluminum, anti-mothership beanie cap?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
I had the same thought. I'm just hoping we don't start another acrylic/polycarbonate thread.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
You reckon using that transparent aluminum would nullify the effects of my aluminum, anti-mothership beanie cap?
You're just gun shy ever since Scott Baio gave you pinkeye.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You're just gun shy ever since Scott Baio gave you pinkeye.
I thought he got the pinkeye at the Mary Kaye convention!!!
post #17 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:06 pm
Super Moderator

Not clear on the wheel . . .

1. Lets see this stuff is plastic and when hot / warm plastic attracts negatively charged particles in the air. The temperature of the tire will eventually get the plastic as hot as the tire. Any brake dust and road dust would start to buildup - especially on the inside where you will (on a car) not be able to clean very easily.

2. Cleaning - I have used lexan over 20 years in the manufacturing industry and sooner or later with repeated cleaning - fogging or rather should I say surface scratches set in.

3. Chemicals - lots of chemicals will attack the surface as well. Could last a little longer in those areas devoid of salts.

Thus I would contend these wheels are perectly fine and are a real winner for show and definately not for go .

In looking at the picts of the bike I notice no front brakes!!

My 2 cents . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #18 of 19 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 7:19 pm

I bet they perform real well @ 80 mph in a gusty cross wind

2012 R1200RT Tri Tone
2012 Honda NC700XDCT
post #19 of 19 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselweasel
I bet they perform real well @ 80 mph in a gusty cross wind
They actually may perform better...

(Hmmm, I wonder if anybody has ever thought of measuring the handling effects of cast wheel "spokes" that are all mounted at the same pitch - like a propeller?
Maybe - just maybe - you could go around a road race course just a wee bit faster by countering G forces in corners or providing a smoother slipstream...)

No wonder I can't sleep!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in