Ever had a helmet stolen? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Ever had a helmet stolen?

There have been several previous threads on "How do you secure your helmet to the bike?" and I too occasionally either hid it in the top case, locked it to the bike if the top case was full or carry it with me. Many times I simply sit it on the seat and walk off! Just wondering if i am being too trusting and will come back to an empty seat?

So out of curiosity, Have you ever had a helmet stolen off of your bike? I was going to do a Survey but could not get it to open.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
There have been several previous threads on "How do you secure your helmet to the bike?" and I too occasionally either hid it in the top case, locked it to the bike if the top case was full or carry it with me. Many times I simply sit it on the seat and walk off! Just wondering if i am being too trusting and will come back to an empty seat?

So out of curiosity, Have you ever had a helmet stolen off of your bike? I was going to do a Survey but could not get it to open.
Nope, never had one stolen, and I ALWAYS ride with a helmet! The last time I rode without a helmet was in 1964.

I usually just clip the chin strap onto something on my bike, but If I'm going to be away from and out of sight of the bike for a bit, or likely to be distracted, I lock it up. If the saddlebags and topcase don't have room, as usual, I use a short piece of cable that I bought sometime, somewhere, and a small padlock. I NEVER leave my helmet on the bike over night.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #3 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 8:55 am

Yep!!

Stopped at a WalMart (imagine that) to pick up a couple of things. My wife and I left our helmets on the bike, not locked up. We usually put them in the top case, but were only going to be gone a few minutes.... When we came out, her helmet was gone, but mine was still there. Had a nice full face w/intercom headset ($600 worth) and it was gone. Funny how the bike insurance didn't cover this, it was covered under our homeowner plan.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650

post #4 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 8:58 am

The short answer is :not yet,
With all the farkles most of us have hanging of our bikes we are definitely potential targets,
My usual method is to place the helmet forward of the tankbag and on the top of the GPS,
then the top edge of my jacket goes over the windshield and covers the XM and the Valentine radar detector as well as the helmet.
My theory is outta sight, outta mind,
I only do this going into restaurants etc
and only after I have strategically parked where I can see the bike,
if there are no windows or I'm going to be away for awhile,
everything gets removed and stowed in the topcase,
when I travel I use the trailer for extra storage,
before I had a trailer I carried a cable long enough to go through the sleeve of the jacket and the helmet.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:32 am

Exclamation Neva...

Never had one stolen. I never leave the helmet behind unless I am next to the bike, having learned to ride in Paris. I usually lock our helmets in the trunk or side cases, and if they are full I lock them on the back of the bike with the Z-Tecnik helmet lock mounted on the license plate area.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:02 am

Not yet. We make a judgment call, based on where we are: If we're in a "good neighborhood" we leave them on the bike, in view. If we're in Joe's neighborhood or if we're going to be gone for awhile we lock them up. I know, that is naive, but what the heck...

At bike events and rallies I'm not concerned about it. We frequently carry them into restaurants or stores. Or lock them on the Helmet Guardian (a two-helmet locking plate that mounts behind the license plate, like Ztechnik's product).

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #7 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:18 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:

Howdy Dan,

I've never had a helmet stolen, though I lock it to the bike virtually every time I leave it there. I use the ZTechnik license plate lock on both bikes and they take only a second or two to lock and unlock the helmet. On the smaller bike it's actually faster to lock the helmet than to wiggle it over the mirror or to make sure it's balanced on the seat.

Sport Bike riders have a big problem with helmet theft. Of course that is probably a result of two major elements:
1- They typically have helmets with very "cool" designs that others covet.
and
2- They tend to hang out in areas that other riders, including young and "not too affluent" ones, frequent.

Also, when I got our helmets I immediately removed the big stickers they came with saying "STEAL ME"....I mean...."ARAI".

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #8 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:39 am

Yes, Mine was stolen last month at the Lone Star Rally. I almost ALWAYS leave my helmet on the seat if I am with one or more bikes. By myself, I usually put it in the trunk. I like the safety in numbers thing.
When mine was taken, we had gone to a little mexican grocery store that had about five tables inside and fixed food, the good greasy kind. It was off the beaten path by about two blocks and nobody buy us spoke english. Four of us parked in front of the store and we all left the helmets on the bikes. One was even a schuberth with stickers all over it. Mine was a solid full face silver that I bought in June this year. We finished our heart attack special and came outside. My lid was gone. Helmet liner on the ground and gloves on the dash but no helmet.
Now I think twice but I am still leaving it on the seat when I am with a group.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:43 am

I love the GT, as it has those awesome mirrors that double as a hanging post for my helmets. The chin strap keeps them secure so they won't fall off. Never had a helmet stolen. And if I thinks it's a concern, I lock them up or bring them into the hotel room overnight.

As for Howard's 'Helmet Guardian' . . . well now.
post #10 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:58 am

Yup.. and I try to lock it up..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:17 am
Old Dawg

I have a theory on this (which knock on wood) has worked so far. I never lock my 3/4 face helmets, I just hang them off the handlebars on the LT because I don't feel most people that would steal a helmet would want them... BUT when I am using my full face Arais they are always locked up because I think most squids would love a nice pretty Arai with graphics and no scratches.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #12 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:24 am

Question

The question is: What do you do when your helmet got stolen on a Sunday, hundreds of miles from home (where most likely you have your previous helmet(S)) ??? Especially in a state where helmets are mandatory???
Yikes!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:35 am

Stolen Helmets

Yes, Helmets have been stolen, sitting on the bike.

Mirage
post #14 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:49 am
fas

Cool Stolen?

Quote:
There have been several previous threads on "How do you secure your helmet to the bike?" and I too occasionally either hid it in the top case, locked it to the bike if the top case was full or carry it with me. Many times I simply sit it on the seat and walk off! Just wondering if i am being too trusting and will come back to an empty seat? ......................

I was going to do a Survey but could not get it to open.
I tried to use the survey link too. Why is it not working?

Never had a helmet stolen, riding since 1971. Had a Corvette stolen! 1967 427 hard top. Got the insurance check and bought the 911. Life goes on. Since I bought the LT back in 2002, I stash our hats in the top case. Even though the 49L top case looks goofy on my new GT, I am now addicted to the extra space for helmets, computers, health club bags, whatever. Like the man said, why tempt those less fortunate? Out of sight is a good idea. Some of our hats are a weeks pay for some folks out there. It's kinda like dragging a steak under a hungry dog's nose.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #15 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 12:51 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
The question is: What do you do when your helmet got stolen on a Sunday, hundreds of miles from home (where most likely you have your previous helmet(S)) ??? Especially in a state where helmets are mandatory???
Yikes!!!
My fear exactly!! Never had one stolen, but that's because I never leave it unattended or exposed - why take the chance....

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #16 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 1:14 pm

If I am away from the bike for any amount of time I will place the helmet and xm radio in the top case. The xm will take a second to remove from the cradle.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #17 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Been known to leave a helmet on the stingray now and then.

Gloss black Symax with smoked visor and no stickers - it's got the 'cool' attractant, so I usually put it in the top case.

If the top/side cases are full up, I use the steel cable came with the LT and the under seat hook. I think I was messed with once - but not sure. ::knock on wood: no probs yet.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #18 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 2:34 pm

Over 15 years ago...

when i had a CB900F. Last one out of the bar to find just the leather jacket. Weird cause the helmut and gloves were under the jacket? Why not take the jacket too? I was almost sober by the time i got back to Palo Alto. The helmut was no great loss but the gloves were almost brand new Held brand.
post #19 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Yikes!!!
Question really is - do you ride your bike wearing a helmet because it's a liiiiiiitle bit safer, or do you wear one coz your local feds say you have to ? (in Europe - a lid all the time) - I wear all the gear, all the time, coz I wanna find what happens next ! , but , ... , I've never had a lid stolen yet, least of all, couple of hundred miles from home - the way I talk my talk, I would wait till I bought a new lid before I got back on the bike, but, wet Sunday evening, all the shops shut, I needed to get back home, - don't know what I'd do till it happened ....

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #20 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 3:20 pm

slightly OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
...As for Howard's 'Helmet Guardian' . . . well now.
I knew I could count on you. My Helmet Guardian install (AKA "Project Day") is well-documented, with plenty of witnesses. I feel it's my place to be on the left-hand side of most bell curve distributions, including the one for Technical Skills (or lack thereof).

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #21 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I knew I could count on you.
Hey...You drew first blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
If we're in Joe's neighborhood or if we're going to be gone for awhile we lock them up.
post #22 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 4:13 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
We had our helmets and gloves stolen while we were in a rather colorful section of Paris (my wife wanted to see the erotic art museum). Everything was locked in the saddlebags of our K100, which they easily pried open. When we came out, there were a few folks standing around watching for our reaction, but the stuff was long gone by then. We lost two Shoei flip-up helmets and headsets, a couple nice pairs of Held gloves, and a few other things.

My wife says the scariest ride she ever had was rolling through Paris at midnight with no helmets on.

The next day we walked all over Paris looking for a store that sold helmets, but all we found were cheap scooter and bicycle helmets (now I know what casque means). We eventually found the local BMW shop and bought a couple of System IV helmets, which we used for years. Not long after we bought our first K1200LT in a color that matched those helmets.

Now I always carry a cable and lock so that if the bags and trunk are full, I can lock things to the back seat and saddlebag handles. Throw on a half cover and things stay dry and secure. When riding, the lock and cover fit easily between the rear seat and trunk. No problems since.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 6:05 pm

I Dare Ya!!!

I usually leave my fullface helmet in the truck & lock it. The 3/4 usually perched on the stingray.
[FONT=Arial]I'd been thinking of placing 2 electrodes above the ear location and placing a 400MF/12V cap to the electrodes. Plug it into the 12v supply to charge it up and watch someone steal it and put it on.[/FONT]SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #24 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Not yet. Wear it every ride but when parked most times it is not secured on the center console under the windshield. Wife puts her's in the top case. At least we don't leave them on sitting the seats. Haven't bought a helmet guardian yet.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #25 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Never had one stolen. Could be the helmet sticker that reads "Owner has head lice." Dunno.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #26 of 45 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Got to get one of those stickers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
Never had one stolen. Could be the helmet sticker that reads "Owner has head lice." Dunno.
I hardly ever lock mine if I'm not too far away and won't be gone too long. but guess I'll start. Seemed easier to trust people.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #27 of 45 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 10:58 am

I never leave stuff unsecured on the bike. A Nolan helmet with headset and a Firstgear jacket run pretty close to $700.00 per person and we do not have the money to replace any of it. I have a 6' cable and combination padlock that I use to lock helmets and jackets to the side boxes. When it's not too much of a pain we take it with us. A booth for four fits two riders with gear perfectly.
post #28 of 45 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 12:38 pm

I never had one stolen either. I had installed the BMW helmet lock on my K1200RS, one came standard on my R1150GS Adventure but I had to install a lock on my R1200GS.

Is there any other locking system available to be attached to the LT? I don't like the license plate lock. Anything else out there?

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #29 of 45 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 1:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only helmet I ever had stolen was safely locked in the top case.

They just took the whole bike!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #30 of 45 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Does anyone

actually use that length of wire that is included in the toolkit?

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #31 of 45 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
actually use that length of wire that is included in the toolkit?
I did for awhile until I figured out that you can trip the seat latch by sliding your fingers down between the two. I threw it away after that.
post #32 of 45 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS6654
I did for awhile until I figured out that you can trip the seat latch by sliding your fingers down between the two. I threw it away after that.
I BakUp backrest really makes that a lot harder to do. Besides...only a fellow LT-rider would know. Do you really think we want to steal your helmet?

I choose to be trusting, I guess. But when in doubt, I take it with me or lock it up in the trunk.
post #33 of 45 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 9:02 am

Quote:
I BakUp backrest really makes that a lot harder to do. Besides...only a fellow LT-rider would know. Do you really think we want to steal your helmet?
Joe,
You're right about the BakUp. I think it would take some kind of thin tool to get in there now.

As for trust:
For five years I rented my house to an old Army buddy that I had known since the early 80's. The deal was that I would charge him cost if he would do all the maintenance. He let it fall apart and even went months with an unreported roof leak. When I terminated his lease he dumped all his ashtrays and trash everywhere, took all my hand tools, yard tools and garden tractor with him. That was a year ago and I haven't heard from him since.

I don't trust anybody any more.
post #34 of 45 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:09 am

On all my prior bikes I would lock the helmet to the rear wheel with my kryptonite lock. I believe that if you leave temptation out in the open, somebody would probably comply.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #35 of 45 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:10 am

Quote:
As for trust:
For five years I rented my house to an old Army buddy that I had known since the early 80's. The deal was that I would charge him cost if he would do all the maintenance. He let it fall apart and even went months with an unreported roof leak. When I terminated his lease he dumped all his ashtrays and trash everywhere, took all my hand tools, yard tools and garden tractor with him. That was a year ago and I haven't heard from him since.

Ralph,

Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch. Yes, it's good to keep your guard up a little. But most people are still trustworthy. Especially if they ride a bike. And I don't mean "own" a bike...I mean RIDE.
post #36 of 45 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 1:03 pm

All I want is a deterrent, because if someone wants your lid, they're gonna get it, my friends.

I just want to eliminate the "walking by, grab it and go" theft.

Truth is, most bike helmet locks out there wouldn't stand up to a good jerk on the helmet. Anyone who took a screwdriver to the lock would pop it open with little or no resistance!

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #37 of 45 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Ralph,

Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch. Yes, it's good to keep your guard up a little. But most people are still trustworthy. Especially if they ride a bike. And I don't mean "own" a bike...I mean RIDE.
Joe,

I hear ya and honestly do want to see the good in people but this one got me good. I'm just getting over it and don't want to feel the anger that he made me feel. I really did lose a lot of sleep over it. While I now pity him, I still hope Karma does exist. I like to believe it does anyway.
post #38 of 45 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 5:32 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:

Not yet, Dan. But at $500 a copy, you do have to take extra precautions!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #39 of 45 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 5:41 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
....As for trust: for five years I rented my house to an old Army buddy that I had known since the early 80's. The deal was that I would charge him cost if he would do all the maintenance. He let it fall apart and even went months with an unreported roof leak. When I terminated his lease he dumped all his ashtrays and trash everywhere, took all my hand tools, yard tools and garden tractor with him. That was a year ago and I haven't heard from him since.

Ralph, having some rental property myself, I totally understand. You wonder how someone that you thought was a friend can be so calloused and indifferent!

I really do believe that people like that will get what they deserve. Call it Karma? What comes around goes around? Finally SOL? Maybe!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #40 of 45 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Ralph, having some rental property myself, I totally understand. You wonder how someone that you thought was a friend can be so calloused and indifferent!

I really do believe that people like that will get what they deserve. Call it Karma? What comes around goes around? Finally SOL? Maybe!
This should probably be in a thread by itself but, I had a rental property in Florida once being taken care of by a Property Management company. When my agent had to go over to my property to check on something, he found out that the lady of two years had been using the house to store her birds. Many, many, many birds. There were birds in cages everywhere. All stacked in the living room, the dining room, each bedroom and the bathroom and garage. The bird lady herself had no room to sleep there. Just used it for her birds.

She was told to evict and would not get her deposit back. The whole mess had cost me about $5,000 for the cleanup. Along with some new carpeting, of course.

And, you're not going to get me to say anything about the two years that my brother and his family rented another house of mine in California. Just can't say anything good so I won't say anything.

I guess the moral of the two stories is: Having rental property sucks. And GO Karma.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #41 of 45 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 8:05 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
This should probably be in a thread by itself but, I had a rental property in Florida once being taken care of by a Property Management company. When my agent had to go over to my property to check on something, he found out that the lady of two years had been using the house to store her birds. Many, many, many birds. There were birds in cages everywhere. All stacked in the living room, the dining room, each bedroom and the bathroom and garage. The bird lady herself had no room to sleep there. Just used it for her birds.

She was told to evict and would not get her deposit back. The whole mess had cost me about $5,000 for the cleanup. Along with some new carpeting, of course.

And, you're not going to get me to say anything about the two years that my brother and his family rented another house of mine in California. Just can't say anything good so I won't say anything.

I guess the moral of the two stories is: Having rental property sucks. And GO Karma.
This would be one of those very rare occasions that I'm speechless!

post #42 of 45 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Yes,
Outside a local motorcycle shop in 1974.
post #43 of 45 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Cool

It's been said before, but I always lock up/secure my lid because I don't want to be in Austin, NV along the lonliest road in America and find I have no helmet to ride to the nearest shop with. It's not a matter of trust to me, but a matter of safety.

Denny
post #44 of 45 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 12:22 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Cool Yes, Stolen from the lock

While a friend and I were at the NHRA Drags taking photos for work, some redneck hillbilly cut the strap on the D-Rings from the lock and walked away with it. Completely useless and no one would repair it - they stole it for nothing.

Fortunately, insurance covered the lost because helmets are required in Nevada. ($600 Arai)

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #45 of 45 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 7:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
While a friend and I were at the NHRA Drags taking photos for work, some redneck hillbilly cut the strap on the D-Rings from the lock and walked away with it. Completely useless and no one would repair it - they stole it for nothing.

Fortunately, insurance covered the lost because helmets are required in Nevada. ($600 Arai)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost like "why bother locking it up." Guess I'm more trusting/lazy and figure that if it is out of sight, thats the only way it won't be stolen when temporally away. Most of the time I just lay it on the seat.

Sort of why I put the top case back, even though I like the ride better with out it. It's easy to place the helmet in the case and just close it. By the way, I hardly ever latch the top case. Never had it open by its self.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in