Canadian Geese have the Right-of-Way - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Canadian Geese have the Right-of-Way

If you're ever riding and these large honkers are crossing the street, stop, don't try to go around them in the direction they are walking. They'll speed up to make sure you know they have the Right-of-Way. When this old bird crossing in front of me glared at me, I knew she was incharge.

Let them cross then go behind them. These birds will not yield to you.

That is all I got to say about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:43 pm

geese fear red umbrellas. i don't know why but they do. i used to work at a shop where the owners kept a gaggle of geese. sometimes the geese would cross the street; when they did, someone was sent to chase them back to the parking lot. an opened red umbrella worked best. those birds aren't afraid of much, but they are afraid of the dreaded red umbrella. omurphy
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 9:37 am

Golf Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by omurphy
geese fear red umbrellas. i don't know why but they do. i used to work at a shop where the owners kept a gaggle of geese. sometimes the geese would cross the street; when they did, someone was sent to chase them back to the parking lot. an opened red umbrella worked best. those birds aren't afraid of much, but they are afraid of the dreaded red umbrella. omurphy
I only get brave with them when I have a golf club in my hand. (3 iron)
I hiss at them real loudly like the hiss at me, But with the full face helmet on all I do is spit all over my face shield.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 9:50 am

I almost hit a flying goose once.

With a bass boat.

I was running this little narrow channel, and a goose got up in front of me, and was sort of slow gaining altitude. I guess he figured the canal was his too. Anyway I was gaing fast on him, so I throttle back a bit, and was about 10 feet from sticking the trolling motor up his rear. He glanced back and saw the boat, and his eyes opened up WIDE like a cartoon character.

Right then and there, he "lightened ship" and pulled up and turned. Luckly I managed to avoid the "cargo" he'd jetsoned.

Don't mess with geese. They fight back.
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot
If you're ever riding and these large honkers are crossing the street, stop, don't try to go around them in the direction they are walking. They'll speed up to make sure you know they have the Right-of-Way. When this old bird crossing in front of me glared at me, I knew she was incharge.

Let them cross then go behind them. These birds will not yield to you.

That is all I got to say about that.
"That is all I got to say about that" ?

This sounds like there is a story you are not telling, perhaps something a little funny?

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 12:02 pm

i got a good laugh out of cajunbass's story. that's funny. omurphy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in