United Motors - any experience? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Question United Motors - any experience?

I'm thinking of buying a 4-wheeler for my kid and a small (200cc) dual-sport for me . . . umm . . . for Christmas! Of course!

My BMW dealer also carries UM (United Motors) motorcycles, scooters, and ATVs. Yes, they're made in China. But their warranty is impressive, their vehicles are very feature-rich, and they're priced below all of the Japanese competitors. Add the fact that my dealer is giving me 'an offer I can't refuse', and it's really got me thinking. What to do, what to do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 1:39 pm
Super Moderator

What's on the contract??

If he's making you the "Godfather Deal" then I would take it. You've probably done this already, but talk with him in depth about his view on the quality of the bikes/ATVs and his commitment for long term sales, service and support. Also, ask for some referrals from sales of these models and talk to current owners to get their perspectives. Ask pointed questions about what they like and don't, problems they've had, what they would do differently if they could do the purchase again, etc. The Chinese and Korean bike makers are working hard and heavy to get into the US marketplace and they understand the preceived quality (or lack thereof) their products may carry, so I'm guessing they're making sure these things are pretty solid vehicles. The great deals are another spoke in the wheel of getting their foot in the door. The dealer support is the other part they have to nail. If you get a good feeling on these various fronts, whip out the checkbook and go play in the dirt with your kid!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Joe: Out here in California they have restrictions on when and where these imports can be ridden. All due to not meeting emissions standards. In don't know if Ohio is getting as strict as my state but it might be something to look into.....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34į 14í 12.63 N
119į 01í 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.

post #4 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 3:51 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Add the fact that my dealer is giving me 'an offer I can't refuse', and it's really got me thinking. What to do, what to do?
Resist the temptation Joe, resist the temptation!!!
Of course this is one of those "Do as I say, don't do as I do" type of advice!
On the other hand... you could ask your wife how she feels about this...? Or not!
In any case... Merry upcoming Christmas!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Question

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying a 4-wheeler for my kid and a small (200cc) dual-sport for me . . . umm . . . for Christmas! Of course!

My BMW dealer also carries UM (United Motors) motorcycles, scooters, and ATVs. Yes, they're made in China. But their warranty is impressive, their vehicles are very feature-rich, and they're priced below all of the Japanese competitors. Add the fact that my dealer is giving me 'an offer I can't refuse', and it's really got me thinking. What to do, what to do?

Joe I think you will be very disappointed with the anemic power of a 200cc 4 stroke. A person of your size need's at least a 400 cc 4 stroke or 250 cc 2 stroke . Also the suspension on the 200 will be way soft for you.
The quad may be a good starter machine for your son.
Respectfully submitted.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #6 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 5:38 pm

At the risk of being hammered... if we all keep buying Chinese made goods, then we will get exactly what we deserve, a country devoid of manufacturing. I know, I know, what doesn't have Chinese made parts in it? Well, at least buy something that puts a reasonable percentage of the purchase price back into the USA. (Honda comes to mind)

Off my soap box, appologies to those offended by my personal opinion....

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #7 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
Well, at least buy something that puts a reasonable percentage of the purchase price back into the USA.
Like......

BMW?

Actually, I'd like to have one of those UM 250R's. Got a dealer just down the street. It's just a little heavy for a 250 though.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #8 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Like......

BMW?
Yes, like BMW... They are one of our best customers over-seas. You help employee people in Solon Ohio.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #9 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 9:05 pm

Quote:

What to do, what to do?
Why, go on their chat board and start an oil thread!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 19 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation An Update...

Today, I bought my son a 4-wheeler. But I did not buy him the United Motors unit. I found an '05 Honda 350 with less than 200 miles on it for less money than the UM. I can't believe the deal I got on this Honda. And the feeling that comes with buying my son the things that I didn't have as a boy is PRICELESS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	8442  
post #11 of 19 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:32 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Today, I bought my son a 4-wheeler. But I did not buy him the United Motors unit. I found an '05 Honda 350 with less than 200 miles on it for less money than the UM. I can't believe the deal I got on this Honda. And the feeling that comes with buying my son the things that I didn't have as a boy is PRICELESS.
Very cool. Congrats to you and your son! I know he's going to hav a blast riding it.

So, when does daddy get his new toy?????

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #12 of 19 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 1:49 pm
fas

Cool ATV Injury keeps Champ from Racing

Quote:
Joe,

This Champ Car story may help your son avoid what the Champ Car Champion could not. ATV's have a habit of flipping over and landing on the person who was exceeding the stability of the ATV. Kinda like Big Ben not needing a helmet in his blue hair Chrysler story, but four rather than two wheels. Thankfully, my sons lived thru their teenage two wheel phase and are both now college grads. Hope your boy has a blast on that thing. Just remind him if Paul can get hurt by pushing the limits, he needs to be careful not to tip over the rolling apple cart. They flip before you can say ATV..........

Rob

PAUL TO MISS MEXICO CITY DUE TO INJURY
Indianapolis, Indiana Ė November 6, 2006 Ė Forsythe Championship Racing announced today that it will withdraw the #3 INDECK Ford-Cosworth/Bridgestone/Lola entry from the Gran Premio Telmex Presented by Banamex due to the injury suffered by Paul during an ATV accident at his home town of Las Vegas, Nevada. Tracyís withdrawal will end a streak of 136 consecutive Champ Car starts, which ranks him seventh in the all time list. The Team will focus its efforts on its two new rookie drivers, Buddy Rice and David Martinez, who will both make their Champ Car debuts at the Mexico City event, November 10th Ė 12th.

Paul: ďThis story has gotten blown way out of proportion. Basically what happened is that I was out with some friends playing around with an ATV that I own and it just got a little out of hand, I flipped it over and it landed on top of me. The first three or four days I was making a lot of progress and I thought that I was going to be okay for Mexico. I was doing therapy and some exercises and I think I just overdid it, I just went backwards really fast and the injury got worse.

Iím very disappointed obviously. Itís been a long season, Iíve done Grand Am races, Nascar races, Iíve done a lot of testing, so for now the best thing is to relax and let my shoulder heal, I donít want to risk hurting it even more. Dr. Trammell reviewed my X-rays and he recommended that I stay out of the car for a few weeks so the bone can heal properly.

Iím disappointed for the Team, itís been a long and unsuccessful season and we wanted to end it on a high note. But now the focus is next year, I know that we are going to come back with the new car and we are going to be super strong and challenging for the Championship.Ē

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #13 of 19 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 4:19 pm

Exclamation Dont be -

[QUOTE=fas]Joe,

This Champ Car story may help your son avoid what the Champ Car Champion could not. ATV's have a habit of flipping over and landing on the person who was exceeding the stability of the ATV.

Rob,

Life is not without risk , Things happen. Joe will outfit his boy with the right gear to help lessen the risk. Yes 2 wheel bikes dont slam you like quads when you crash. Perhaps a 2 wheeler is in the future. Some people prefer quads over bikes. Even the most competent riders can crash. Lets be positive!

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #14 of 19 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

My son will ride ATGATT, or get the keys yanked. We will be buying him riding gear while I fill out the paper work on his new ATV tomorrow. But understand this; my son is extremely conservative and cautious in all that he does. I attribute this to his birth defect. My son didn't walk until he was 18 months old. He is not a dare-devil by nature. In other words, he's nothing like his father. In fact, when I showed him the pics of this 350, his questions were more focused at the safety features. Yes, he's a unique kid. And come Sunday, we'll be out there getting his new toy all muddy. I'll be on my old '83 Suzuki ALT125 (see attachment).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alt125.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	8445  
post #15 of 19 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 6:51 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
My son will ride ATGATT, or get the keys yanked. We will be buying him riding gear while I fill out the paper work on his new ATV tomorrow. But understand this; my son is extremely conservative and cautious in all that he does. I attribute this to his birth defect. My son didn't walk until he was 18 months old. He is not a dare-devil by nature. In other words, he's nothing like his father. In fact, when I showed him the pics of this 350, his questions were more focused at the safety features. Yes, he's a unique kid. And come Sunday, we'll be out there getting his new toy all muddy. I'll be on my old '83 Suzuki ALT125 (see attachment).
Now THAT'S Old School! You guys are going to have a blast!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #16 of 19 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Joe,
You obviously where hit hard on the head a few to many times growing up, so make sure you give your kid a fighting chance with a good hard helmet.....

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #17 of 19 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Joe,
You obviously where hit hard on the head a few to many times growing up, so make sure you give your kid a fighting chance with a good hard helmet.....
Will do sir.
post #18 of 19 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 5:28 pm

Um

Lots of UM products here in Puerto Rico. VERY INEXPENSIVE!!! Judging by what we see by the side of roads on Sundays (that is when hoards of young locals take their scooters out) they are not reliable. There is currently a bike show in the local mall. UM makes a knock off of every popular japanese bike made. It's almost funny.
Good choice, you can't go wrong with a Honda.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #19 of 19 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Lots of UM products here in Puerto Rico. VERY INEXPENSIVE!!! Judging by what we see by the side of roads on Sundays (that is when hoards of young locals take their scooters out) they are not reliable. There is currently a bike show in the local mall. UM makes a knock off of every popular japanese bike made. It's almost funny.
Good choice, you can't go wrong with a Honda.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in