Givi Luggage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:10 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Question Givi Luggage

I want to get a Givi topcase for my R1100GS; probably the 46 or 47 liter Monokey case. The local retailer who carries them has a good selection but charges full retail for everything. So I have a couple of questions. First, if you've used Givi cases on a GS or other bike how did they perform long term (fit, finish, mounting system reliability, case stability, etc.). I know they hav a great reputation; just want to see if that plays out in real life. Second, does anyone know of an online store that carries them at a discount? The places I found on a search are few, and either full price or really poor presentation on their website, which doesn't instill confidence in buying from them.

Thanks in advance for the help!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:42 pm

David,

Sent you a PM - give me a yell if you have any Qs.

-Richard

Richard Kuethe
The Quiet Room
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 2:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I want to get a Givi topcase for my R1100GS; probably the 46 or 47 liter Monokey case. The local retailer who carries them has a good selection but charges full retail for everything. So I have a couple of questions. First, if you've used Givi cases on a GS or other bike how did they perform long term (fit, finish, mounting system reliability, case stability, etc.). I know they hav a great reputation; just want to see if that plays out in real life. Second, does anyone know of an online store that carries them at a discount? The places I found on a search are few, and either full price or really poor presentation on their website, which doesn't instill confidence in buying from them.

I had one on the 88 KLT that I totaled in route to the dragon. It poped off got a couple scuffs and went right on the next KLT.
Use for dollars spent 100% (not sure of size fit two full face helmets) stayed waterproof even after the wreck.
Had over 100K when transfered to next bike, and it is still on their being used, has to be closing in on 200K (local sale)
They worked so good, and you can haul so much junk, I was considering one for my around town K-75, till I checked the price, I'll leave the 22L BMW case on for now.
Rock

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 3:29 pm

I had the 46 liter Givi Monokey on my F650GS. I was always happy with it. Very sturdy and never leaked the first time. Traded the bike and sold the case. I found the best price at RLMotorcycles.com. Good luck.

Ray
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor

I had a 46 liter monokey on my Concours and now have a 47 liter monolock on my RT. Both were excellent quality and on both I had an extra riding/brake light. The unit on the RT has hyper-lites that flash and then go solid... VERY affective! You cannot beat the cost and I can get either two full face helmets or my laptop in it's generous case and a pair of dress shoes (for work) in it. I've atached a picture of the case on the RT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GIVI 005.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	8375   Click image for larger version

Name:	GIVI 003.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	999.7 KB
ID:	8376  

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
I've atached a picture of the case on the RT.
Your losing something out of the right side bag
Rock
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Your losing something out of the right side bag
Rock
lol.... that's my cleaning rag hanging off of the passenger's peg... can't sneak anything past you Rock!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:35 pm

I had a top case on my Connie... Loved it and never had a problem. Monokey did take some getting used to. Always put my key in my pocket then tried to close the case... had to fish the key out again.

Father in law used the side bag mounts on his Nighthawk. He was pleased. H dropped the bike once. Scuffed the side bag but still worked fine.
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:22 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info and opinions! It sounds like that's the way to go. And thanks for the tip on RLmotorcycles.com, Ray. They have the cheapest prices by far that I've found for Givi bags and mounts.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 4:49 pm

Givi Luggage

I have used their luggage on several bikes and they are brilliant. They are secure, I have forgotten to lock the handle down on a fully loaded case at one fuel stop. At the next stop (180 miles later) I noticed the mistake. Nothing fell out the lid made no attempt to fall open.
They survived a four month road trip in all conditions. During this period I was carrying "everything I own" on the bike, literally. They never let in any water. They didn't affect the handling. They didn't get loose on the mountings.
What more can I say.

Aftersales service is brilliant as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in